Rival Watch

17149 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rival Watch

by Hound » 05 Nov 2019 10:24

just because John Smith seems to adore him, and he played well against an absolute shambles of a Reading side, I'm not sure Arter is all that. Phillips is certainly ahead of him. Benrahma as well (though isnt he more of a winger?)

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Nov 2019 10:53

Old Man Andrews
Hendo
Old Man Andrews In the Championship?

As I assume that is what he meant, yes.

Tom Cairney - on par with Sawyers
Barry Bannan - yes
Joe Allen - never
Said Benrahma - winger
Joao Carvalho - could be, never really seen him
Kalvin Phillips - yes
Harry Arter - not any more
Adam Forshaw - nope
Matt Grimes - nope
Paddy McNair - nope
Bradley Dack - on par
Bersant Celina - nope
Nick Powell - can’t tell because he’s permanently injured

Any more or are you happy now?

Like I said, I don’t think there’s many better midfielder in the Championship than Sawyers...

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Nov 2019 10:55

Hound just because John Smith seems to adore him, and he played well against an absolute shambles of a Reading side, I'm not sure Arter is all that. Phillips is certainly ahead of him. Benrahma as well (though isnt he more of a winger?)

I’d say Phillips is probably the best midfielder in the league right now. I know a lot of people rate Hernández highly from Leeds but personally I’m not sure. Agree with Arter, he was a good player for Bournemouth but IIRC he had an injury a couple of seasons ago and has never really been the same. And yes, Benrahma is a winger/forward

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Nov 2019 10:59

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews
Hendo
As I assume that is what he meant, yes.

Tom Cairney - on par with Sawyers
Barry Bannan - yes
Joe Allen - never
Said Benrahma - winger
Kalvin Phillips - yes
Adam Forshaw - nope
Matt Grimes - nope
Paddy McNair - nope
Bradley Dack - on par
Bersant Celina - nope

Like I said, I don’t think there’s many better midfielder in the Championship than Sawyers...

Just named you several and I can keep going if you'd like. All about opinions though.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Nov 2019 11:02

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews Tom Cairney - on par with Sawyers
Barry Bannan - yes
Joe Allen - never
Said Benrahma - winger
Kalvin Phillips - yes
Adam Forshaw - nope
Matt Grimes - nope
Paddy McNair - nope
Bradley Dack - on par
Bersant Celina - nope

Just named you several and I can keep going if you'd like. All about opinions though.

Obviously. But you’re the one that was mocking the original opinion...

For 3 million, Sawyers (and I think with time Ejaria can be a similar/better player if he works on his weaknesses) is one of the best value for money signings so far

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Nov 2019 11:03

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ

For 3 million, Sawyers (and I think with time Ejaria can be a similar/better player if he works on his weaknesses) is one of the best value for money signings so far

You didn't mention value for money you said best. He isn't the best.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Nov 2019 11:05

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews Just named you several and I can keep going if you'd like. All about opinions though.

I didn’t say the best. I said I think he’s one of the best

To which you responded with a bunch of laughing faces. Yet some posts later, you say “it’s all about opinions”. Don’t contradict yourself, eh?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Nov 2019 11:06

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ

I didn’t say the best. I said I think he’s one of the best

To which you responded with a bunch of laughing faces. Yet some posts later, you say “it’s all about opinions”. Don’t contradict yourself, eh?

Yes you gave your opinion and I laughed at you. You're well on the road to making yourself look like a fool again. You hate it when people disagree with you, you can't cope.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Nov 2019 11:32

out of the silly mocking came quite a good discussion

Anyway, I'd say the top 5 being something like

Cairney
Phillips
Sawyers
Bannan
Hernandez

I do think Swift on his performances this year is right behind that group though personally. If not in it - his stats certainly back it up

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Nov 2019 11:35

Hound out of the silly mocking came quite a good discussion

Anyway, I'd say the top 5 being something like

Cairney
Phillips
Sawyers
Bannan
Hernandez

I do think Swift on his performances this year is right behind that group though personally. If not in it - his stats certainly back it up

Bannan is probably my favourite Championship midfielder, goes under the radar most of the time so pleased someone else sees what I do.

Barb

by Barb » 05 Nov 2019 11:44

Stokes situation just goes to show that it isn't all about having good, named players in your side. They have been relegated and it just seems that none of them want to be there. People laughed at Brian and is DNA comments, however it just goes to show that in this league, having a squad if players, hungry and with something to provee, with a little smattering of quality goes a long way.

No manager will get Stoke out of that rut. They're as good as down from what I've seen so far this season.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Nov 2019 11:49

So far this season, from what I’ve seen, I’d go:

1. Bannan
2. Phillips
3. Sawyers
4. Swift
5. Johnson

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Nov 2019 11:50

Johnson obvs a decent player having a good season, but he was bloody awful against us. Worst player on the pitch that day

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 05 Nov 2019 12:32

Hound Johnson obvs a decent player having a good season, but he was bloody awful against us. Worst player on the pitch that day

He was, I can't disagree with that. However the best Championship midfielder is without any shadow of a doubt, Harry Arter.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Nov 2019 13:31

According to Who Scored? the best 5 midfielders in the Championship this season so far are:

1. Eze
2. Bowen
3. Cavalerio
4. Swift
5. Pereira

Ejaria is 7th.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Nov 2019 13:37

Yeah Eze came to mind earlier, forgot about him before. He’d be right up there

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Nov 2019 13:38

Hound Yeah Eze came to mind earlier, forgot about him before. He’d be right up there

Isn't he more of a winger? I was thinking along the lines of central players when I compiled the lsit.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Nov 2019 13:41

Old Man Andrews
Hound Yeah Eze came to mind earlier, forgot about him before. He’d be right up there

Isn't he more of a winger? I was thinking along the lines of central players when I compiled the lsit.

He is down as an attacking midfielder (Left, Right, Centre) on WS?

For clarity, I have taken the 5 highest rated midfielders on there who have defensive midfield, midfield or Attacking Midfield as their 1st position (so discounted Joe Bryan who is listed firstly as a defender) who also have centre as a position.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Nov 2019 14:00

Pretty sure Eze is a centre mid as his main position. An attacking one of course

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Nov 2019 16:13

Hound Pretty sure Eze is a centre mid as his main position. An attacking one of course

Whenever I’ve watched Eze, he sort of drifts around all over the place. He gets goals and assist, but is also picking the ball up from the centre halves and driving the team forward. However I’m pretty sure he played on the left hand side against us. So not really sure where he plays

But I’ve heard he’s good. Didn’t think he was all that against us but his goal contribution speaks for itself

17149 posts