Rival Watch

17149 posts
CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Rival Watch

by CountryRoyal » 02 Dec 2021 21:12

The Royal Forester Nobbers may like to know that John Fleck has now returned to training with Sheffield United.

My guy literally has a seizure and is back training, meanwhile at Reading you stub your toe and it’s season-ending.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 02 Dec 2021 21:15

CountryRoyal
The Royal Forester Nobbers may like to know that John Fleck has now returned to training with Sheffield United.

My guy literally has a seizure and is back training, meanwhile at Reading you stub your toe and it’s season-ending.

I mean, it's a seizure, I used to have epilepsy, as long as nothing serious happens, you're usually fine and good to go after a few days. That's why he would have been observed in hospital.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Dec 2021 21:17

tidus_mi2
CountryRoyal

I mean, it's a seizure, I used to have epilepsy, as long as nothing serious happens, you're usually fine and good to go after a few days. That's why he would have been observed in hospital.

Yep my sister is epileptic and the following day after a seizure is pretty much fine. I wonder whether he may have swallowed his tongue at the time of the seizure.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 02 Dec 2021 21:19

Are players prone to seizures allowed to play professionally?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Dec 2021 21:21

AthleticoSpizz Are players prone to seizures allowed to play professionally?

I would think so. Most people with epilepsy manage it with medication and hold all sorts of jobs.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 02 Dec 2021 21:26

Good, no reason for this lad to be excluded...just needs to wise-up with his meds.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 02 Dec 2021 21:35

Zip

I would think so. Most people with epilepsy manage it with medication and hold all sorts of jobs.

Yeah but like flashing lights and stuff?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 02 Dec 2021 21:41

CountryRoyal
Zip

That's only for photosensitive epilepsy and there is medication to control that.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Dec 2021 21:45

tidus_mi2
CountryRoyal
Zip

That's only for photosensitive epilepsy and there is medication to control that.

That’s why my sister has. It does have some hard side effects. She lost a baby and had to give “birth” knowing it was dead. The medication had done the damage.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 02 Dec 2021 21:50

Zip
tidus_mi2
CountryRoyal

That’s why my sister has. It does have some hard side effects. She lost a baby and had to give “birth” knowing it was dead. The medication had done the damage.

That’s awful. Sorry to hear that Zip. That’s the problem with so many medications, you think you’re helping one thing, but creating problems somewhere else.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Dec 2021 21:53

CountryRoyal
Zip
tidus_mi2 That's only for photosensitive epilepsy and there is medication to control that.

That’s awful. Sorry to hear that Zip. That’s the problem with so many medications, you think you’re helping one thing, but creating problems somewhere else.

It’s a long time ago so not to worry.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Dec 2021 13:31

Zip

Not sure if he is able to play again yet, and hopefully he'll be absolutely fine long term

But considering nobody seemed to know what was going on and he got carted away on an ambulance - so not something anyone was aware of with his medical history - it does seem quite a short timespan to be coming back in.

But main thing is he seems to be ok and can continue as a pro

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 03 Dec 2021 13:46

Hound
Zip

Not sure if he is able to play again yet, and hopefully he'll be absolutely fine long term

But considering nobody seemed to know what was going on and he got carted away on an ambulance - so not something anyone was aware of with his medical history - it does seem quite a short timespan to be coming back in.

There are many reasons for seizures but I’d guessed it was probably epilepsy related or there is no way he would be back in training.

I presumed he must have had epilepsy diagnosed previously, or he would need to have had testing, got a diagnosis and then drugs prescribed. And it’s basically trial and error to get the right drugs and the right strength and frequency. As Zip says assuming he’s previously diagnosed epileptic, he would have been observed and had his drugs changed or increased. Perhaps it’s something else

I think the club said it’s a known medical condition

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Dec 2021 14:43

Hound
Zip

Limited experience obvs, but my Mum had a fit which they couldn’t really diagnose, so after a night of observation and a recovery, she just went through tests for a while and then carried on as normal.

Suspect if they don't find anything clearly wrong and there's no repeat he can mostly carry on as if it didn’t happen.

Repeat occurrences would potentially see him have to retire though.

Rusty royal

by Rusty royal » 07 Dec 2021 17:19

Plymouth fans not happy with Ryan Lowe for leaving to manage Preston at such short notice

I think they had a good chance of coming up this season

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Dec 2021 17:27

Rusty royal Plymouth fans not happy with Ryan Lowe for leaving to manage Preston at such short notice

I think they had a good chance of coming up this season

Really surprised by that. Plymouth have as much potential, if not more, than Preston.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 07 Dec 2021 17:45

Possibly wanted to return to the North West? He's from Liverpool and spent the majority of his career at clubs in the North West.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Dec 2021 13:02

Without checking my gut reaction is Preston have a better record at this level and are certainly more established.

Plymouth often struggle to get / stay here. And their manager is ideally placed to judge his chances of getting them up then doing anything with them once here.

Seems a fairly solid step up to me. Obviously their fans would never accept that.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Dec 2021 13:15

yeah, quite surprised PNE sacked their manager in the first place, not exactly flying but roughly exactly where I'd expect them to be. They aren't a particularly attractive proposition, don't pay a lot for players etc.

Can see why Lowe moved there though.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Dec 2021 07:33

From Despair To Where? Possibly wanted to return to the North West? He's from Liverpool and spent the majority of his career at clubs in the North West.

Yeah, it's a location thing - pretty sure I read that his family stayed in the North West and bar a couple of years where he played for Wednesday and MK Dons, he has never left the NW until the Plymouth job - so really very little surprise that he took the first decent job back in the NW. If Bury hadn't have been in such a mess, I very much doubt he'd have gone to Plymouth in the first place.

Been a very good lower league manager, so will be interesting* to see how he makes the step up.

17149 posts