Rival Watch

17149 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Rival Watch

by URZZZZ » 26 Sep 2022 13:11

URZZZZ
Pepe the Horseman
Hound Wilder must be getting very nervous - getting tonked at home by cardiff…

I expect Russell Martin will beat him to it after another late goal conceded. 94th min winner for Sheff Utd. Shame because Swansea seriously looked the part for the first 60 mins against us last season.

Watford manager got to be in trouble. A measly 6 points in their last 6 games

As predicted a couple of weeks ago. Really odd decision from Edwards to go there as an up and coming manager

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 26 Sep 2022 13:30

Don't think it's enhanced Edwards' reputation any, I can imagine his next job may come in L1 where FGR currently are. Can't see either Huddersfield or Cardiff taking a punt on him.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 26 Sep 2022 13:51

Love the Pozzo's said they would support Edwards "Through Hell or high water" which is apparently 10 games.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Sep 2022 13:54

It’s Watford, we all know what they’re like. As a manager you can’t have any complaints and you know what you’re getting yourself into.

I’m surprised that all these manager pay outs don’t oxf*rd their FFP though.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 26 Sep 2022 14:01

CountryRoyal It’s Watford, we all know what they’re like. As a manager you can’t have any complaints and you know what you’re getting yourself into.

I’m surprised that all these manager pay outs don’t oxf*rd their FFP though.

They are unlikely to be on contracts that include much (if anything) in terms of payoffs.

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 26 Sep 2022 15:14

tidus_mi2 Love the Pozzo's said they would support Edwards "Through Hell or high water" which is apparently 10 games.

The hell or high water quote is attributed to the CEO Duxbury not Pozzo's so he is probably in line for the chop next!

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 26 Sep 2022 17:41

What is the point of a Manager going to Watford? Seriously, what is the point?

Go 3 games without a win, you are sacked.
Not be clear at the top after 10 games, you are sacked.
Lose a couple of games at home, you are sacked.
Get promoted to the Premier League.....start from the top again.

The only reason to go to Watford would be for a stonking salary and a clause that says if (ha! when!!) I am sacked before the end of my contract, you pay me up to the end of my contract plus a chunk more.

Otherwise, what is the point of a Manager going to Watford?

Let's be honest - they aren't a big club are they? having "Watford" on your CV isn't the same as having "Chelsea" on it...... Club Presidents from Madrid to Barcelona, from Milan to Turin, from Amsterdam to Munich aren't going to be saying "oooooohhhh - some bloke no-one has ever heard of has been sacked from Watford after half a dozen games, get him in place as soon as possible!!" are they?

So, what IS the point of a Manager going to Watford?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 Sep 2022 17:54

YorkshireRoyal99 Don't think it's enhanced Edwards' reputation any, I can imagine his next job may come in L1 where FGR currently are. Can't see either Huddersfield or Cardiff taking a punt on him.

Says more about what a complete basket case club Watford are though. Ten weeks for a bright up and coming manager effectively jumping 2 divisions. Only 2 defeats in 10 while finding his feet and style of play is perfectly reasonable imo. Don’t think it’ll knock him back that much. Could see him going back to FGR if their suspect season continues.

Including caretakers Watford have now had 53 managers since 1903. Before 1903 they seem to have operated without a manager. More than half (27) of those managers have been since 2000 :shock:

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 26 Sep 2022 18:13

Mr Angry What is the point of a Manager going to Watford? Seriously, what is the point?

The only reason to go to Watford would be for a stonking salary and a clause that says if (ha! when!!) I am sacked before the end of my contract, you pay me up to the end of my contract plus a chunk more.

Let's be honest - they aren't a big club are they? having "Watford" on your CV isn't the same as having "Chelsea" on it...... Club Presidents from Madrid to Barcelona, from Milan to Turin, from Amsterdam to Munich aren't going to be saying "oooooohhhh - some bloke no-one has ever heard of has been sacked from Watford after half a dozen games, get him in place as soon as possible!!" are they?

Because every time a new manager takes over he will be convinced he will be different, that he will succeed and be a hero.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 26 Sep 2022 19:06

So . . . . . we're saying that firing managers based on short-term, knee-jerk reaction is a BAD thing?

Make up your minds HNA.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Sep 2022 19:12

Elm Park Kid So . . . . . we're saying that firing managers based on short-term, knee-jerk reaction is a BAD thing?

Make up your minds HNA.

Reading fans are probably some of the most forgiving going. Pauno would have relegated us and there would have been a hefty amount that would have wanted him to stay and try and get us up again.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 26 Sep 2022 20:51

Mr Angry What is the point of a Manager going to Watford? Seriously, what is the point?

Because there are only so many manager jobs in professional football, so waiting for another offer isn't really an option for the level of appointment Watford would make.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 26 Sep 2022 23:19

Sutekh
YorkshireRoyal99 Don't think it's enhanced Edwards' reputation any, I can imagine his next job may come in L1 where FGR currently are. Can't see either Huddersfield or Cardiff taking a punt on him.

Says more about what a complete basket case club Watford are though. Ten weeks for a bright up and coming manager effectively jumping 2 divisions. Only 2 defeats in 10 while finding his feet and style of play is perfectly reasonable imo. Don’t think it’ll knock him back that much. Could see him going back to FGR if their suspect season continues.

Including caretakers Watford have now had 53 managers since 1903. Before 1903 they seem to have operated without a manager. More than half (27) of those managers have been since 2000 :shock:

If Watford do indeed appoint Bilic this week, won’t that be 5 managers in under a year :shock:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Sep 2022 08:36

royalp-we
Sutekh

If Watford do indeed appoint Bilic this week, won’t that be 5 managers in under a year :shock:

Just about

1. Xisco Munoz went in October 2021
  2. Claudio Ranieri saw them through until January 2022
  3. Roy Hodgson then did the rest of that season
  4. Rob Edwards arrived in May for the summer
  5. And now Slaven Bilic will take over for this year’s pantomime season

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 Sep 2022 09:12

Nameless

Because every time a new manager takes over he will be convinced he will be different, that he will succeed and be a hero.

I don't think it's a case of being "different" per say, but more about the success. Javi Gracia was successful in getting Watford to a cup final for only the second time in their history and achieved a very respectable 11th placed finished on 50 points. He was sacked after a poor start to the season, but subsequently landed at Valencia, who are a huge club in Spain, and I'd imagine his time at Watford was a factor in him going there.

(Yes, he was far from stellar at Valencia but the point more was his time at Watford would have seemed to have landed him at one of Spain's biggest clubs, which is a very good opportunity for any manager.)

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 27 Sep 2022 10:00

CountryRoyal
Elm Park Kid So . . . . . we're saying that firing managers based on short-term, knee-jerk reaction is a BAD thing?

Make up your minds HNA.

Reading fans are probably some of the most forgiving going. Pauno would have relegated us and there would have been a hefty amount that would have wanted him to stay and try and get us up again.

This. We're absolute pussy cats compared to a lot of clubs.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 27 Sep 2022 10:04

leon
CountryRoyal

Make up your minds HNA.

This. We're absolute pussy cats compared to a lot of clubs.

Borne out of apathy

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 27 Sep 2022 10:34

I am surprised, thought Huddersfield would have got their manager sorted out pretty quickly.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 Sep 2022 12:11

tidus_mi2 I am surprised, thought Huddersfield would have got their manager sorted out pretty quickly.

They are meant to be appointing Hertha Berlin's assistant this week, don't know how concrete that is though.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Sep 2022 12:41

Nameless

I know people in football aren't necessarily the brightest, but at this point you'd have to be a screaming moron to think that.

17149 posts