Rival Watch

17149 posts
Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Rival Watch

by Mr Angry » 06 Jun 2023 10:48

Mmmmmmm - a 21 year old "entrepreneur" with no "obvious signs of significant wealth".....................

Yep - he will pass the EFL tests for ownership at a canter!

Wigan are fooked.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 06 Jun 2023 12:38

Mr Angry Mmmmmmm - a 21 year old "entrepreneur" with no "obvious signs of significant wealth".....................

Yep - he will pass the EFL tests for ownership at a canter!

Wigan are fooked.

Sounds familiar - some young person with no obvious signs of wealth buying a Football League side in financial ruin. I wonder how that went for Aldershot…

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 07 Jun 2023 16:50

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Jun 2023 16:58

But how much is down to changes in circumstances with the owner or the owner just developing a different mindset and just "losing interest". Can't really see how any "regulations" would safeguard against that without re-running checks on every club's owners every year.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jun 2023 17:27

Yeah it's always people who think the FL should somehow vet intentions, honesty and competence. Like that's possible. And are often the same people calling for more and more spending. And the same ones complaining that takeovers are blocked or delayed.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 08 Jun 2023 08:51

Snowflake Royal Yeah it's always people who think the FL should somehow vet intentions, honesty and competence. Like that's possible. And are often the same people calling for more and more spending. And the same ones complaining that takeovers are blocked or delayed.

Who is this imaginary person?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 08 Jun 2023 11:00

It does seem people do get outraged in hindsight, I think the EFL should look at the record of prospective owners and maybe they do, do instance I'd be very surprised if Anton Zingarevich successfully took over a club after the debacle here, even if he could prove he had the funds but by and large, isn't their only concern to make sure these prospective owners have the required funds?

The current Wigan owners had the funds, they invested in the club to get them promoted from L1 and now they've seemingly decided to cut funding, I can't see what you can blame the EFL for here.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 08 Jun 2023 11:47

tidus_mi2 It does seem people do get outraged in hindsight, I think the EFL should look at the record of prospective owners and maybe they do, do instance I'd be very surprised if Anton Zingarevich successfully took over a club after the debacle here, even if he could prove he had the funds but by and large, isn't their only concern to make sure these prospective owners have the required funds?

The current Wigan owners had the funds, they invested in the club to get them promoted from L1 and now they've seemingly decided to cut funding, I can't see what you can blame the EFL for here.

I think Zingarevich now owns a football club in Belarus.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Jun 2023 12:27

YorkshireRoyal99
tidus_mi2 It does seem people do get outraged in hindsight, I think the EFL should look at the record of prospective owners and maybe they do, do instance I'd be very surprised if Anton Zingarevich successfully took over a club after the debacle here, even if he could prove he had the funds but by and large, isn't their only concern to make sure these prospective owners have the required funds?

Close! It's in Bulgaria - Botev Plovdiv.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 08 Jun 2023 12:46

Sutekh
YorkshireRoyal99

Close! It's in Bulgaria - Botev Plovdiv.

Probably more within his affordability

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 08 Jun 2023 19:17

Wigan now put under a transfer embargo for 'hmrc related issues'

Uh-oh

Anfield Royal

by Anfield Royal » 09 Jun 2023 12:04

Winston Biscuit Wigan now put under a transfer embargo for 'hmrc related issues'

Uh-oh

Got to be more points deductions incoming then. They were late again a week or two ago weren't they, and that hasn't been punished yet.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 09 Jun 2023 12:13

Anfield Royal
Winston Biscuit Wigan now put under a transfer embargo for 'hmrc related issues'

Uh-oh

Got to be more points deductions incoming then. They were late again a week or two ago weren't they, and that hasn't been punished yet.

'Hmrc related' suggests they could be heading for administration. Would still be a way off yet I would think (if it happens)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Jun 2023 12:42

Looks pretty grim for them. Shame really

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Jun 2023 13:05

The whole league structure is just rancid with unsustainable finance from the ground up, isn’t it.

We should just nationalise football.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 09 Jun 2023 16:17

The price to pay (for trying to out-compete your peers) I guess.

Hopefully our future quest will be above all of that shenanigans

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 09 Jun 2023 17:05

Snowflake Royal The whole league structure is just rancid with unsustainable finance from the ground up, isn’t it.

I can't see how that would work exactly.

We just need regulation in place to stop clubs getting into a mess, rather than trying to punish them when it's too late.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Jun 2023 06:55

tmesis
Snowflake Royal The whole league structure is just rancid with unsustainable finance from the ground up, isn’t it.

We just need regulation in place to stop clubs getting into a mess, rather than trying to punish them when it's too late.

We need proper control on the PL and the ridiculous amount of money that gets given to clubs when they are failures. Having compulsory wage reduction on relegation clauses in every single player contract would also be a start. Perhaps each division should also look at salary caps for players (or across a squad of, say, 25 nominated first team players). Seems a much clearer way of maintaining ffp rather getting slide rules out to try and fathom who spent what on average over the last 3 years and all the shenanigans and confusion that that brings.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 10 Jun 2023 13:23

tmesis

Insist on any committment above the level of the previous season revenue is placed in escrow by the owner
Then used if any issues arise
And ANY investment at all by the owners should be share capital, not loans, so they can only get it back by selling as administration would gain them nothing in the short or medium term

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 10 Jun 2023 14:23

Sutekh
tmesis

We need proper control on the PL and the ridiculous amount of money that gets given to clubs when they are failures. Having compulsory wage reduction on relegation clauses in every single player contract would also be a start. Perhaps each division should also look at salary caps for players (or across a squad of, say, 25 nominated first team players). Seems a much clearer way of maintaining ffp rather getting slide rules out to try and fathom who spent what on average over the last 3 years and all the shenanigans and confusion that that brings.

There won't be salary caps for players unless there's some level of worldwide limit, as players would simply move to a league where they're allowed to earn more money.

Spain has the best FFP rules of those that I'm aware of.

@SwissRamble: "Each season La Liga calculates a club’s salary cap as revenue less non-sporting expenses and debt repayments. In contrast to UEFA’s Financial Fair Play rules which look at previous years, La Liga’s regulations are applied in advance, i.e. before any spending takes place."
@SwissRamble: "If a club is over its salary cap, it can only use 25% of any savings made (or transfer gains) on bringing in new players, with the other 75% used to reduce existing liabilities. If the player accounts for more than 5% of squad cost, then amount available to invest rises to 50%."
@SwissRamble: "However, recently La Liga relaxed the salary cap in two important ways as a result of losses caused by the pandemic. First, the 1:4 rule has become 1:3 for the summer 2022 transfer window, i.e. a club can now use 33% of any savings made or transfer profits on player purchases."

Based on the most recent club accounts and my rough estimates (simply looking at revenue minus non-sporting revenue to keep things simple), we would've been allowed to spend around £10.5m under those rules during the 2021-22 season on the squad. IIRC, that was the limit our 'business plan' with the EFL allowed us to spend.

17149 posts