Huddersfield in trouble over weakened side.

Glory Boy

Re: Huddersfield in trouble over weakened side.

by Glory Boy » 03 May 2017 14:56

If Wagner had been forced to put out his strongest squad against Brum he would have advised them not too get involved in any heavy tackles or clashes that could result in cards or injuries. That would be his priority. Brum would know this and use it to their advantage.

So he could either field a disinterested first team that would have played like a bunch of fairies or a reserve side eager to establish themselves. Think Brum would have won whatever team he had fielded.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 May 2017 15:17

From Despair To Where? 9 of the 11 players where regulars in the first team squad. If they were not considered strong enough players for a team 4th in the league, they wouldn't be in the first team squad. I don't see how it matters if there was a potentially stronger player on the bench, its a squad game, he used his squad and the final standings are worked out over 46 games.

Villa's performance was so shocking, even Steve Bruce questioned the players' professionalism in his post match interview.

I'm not arguing that Huddersfield didn't field a weakened team, I'm arguing that Huddersfield fielded a team of 1st team squad players and I don't really see why it matters that they did. 1 game does not make or break a season.

1. The players weren't there because they were good enough for a team ranked 4th. They were signed when Huddersfield weren't 4th, in fact if they were signed in the last couple of years they were more likely not good enough to get a team to 4th. Huddersfield have had to borrow players to get good enough to be 4th
2. Whether Player W is a bit better or a bit worse than the player who was playing last week is not the point. Obviously teams change from game to game. Stam rarely picks an unchanged side. It's the 10 changes that flags the concern.
3. 1 point makes or breaks some seasons. Under your argument it would be ok if Huddersfield had all turned up drunk, spent the game having a picnic in the centre circle and scored 15 own goals, because it was just one game and one game is not crucial.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 03 May 2017 16:03

Nameless Huddersfield have had to borrow players to get good enough to be 4th.

God isn't that the truth - would Huddersfield be where they are without Mooy, Kachunga and to a lesser extent Brown and Ward? I very much doubt it.

Makes our achievement even more impressive.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 May 2017 16:10

I'm actually amazed we have had so little press about our achievement this year. The media have fawned over Hudders (as mentioned plenty of loan signings, plus Wagner had half of last season), Fulham have pundits lining up to suck up to them, Weds have spent a fortune. We've barely had a noise made about us bar when we get our semi-regularly heavy defeat

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 May 2017 16:23

CountryRoyal
Nameless Huddersfield have had to borrow players to get good enough to be 4th.

God isn't that the truth - would Huddersfield be where they are without Mooy, Kachunga and to a lesser extent Brown and Ward? I very much doubt it.

Makes our achievement even more impressive.

Although I think you have to credit Wagner with spotting them, persuading them to join him and integrating them into the team so well.
I like the fact that the 106 team was all ours and that this season there has been no real significant reliance on loan players.
You do wonder what Hudds will do if they do get promoted but many of their best players have moved back to parent clubs. Presumably they would loan them again , or try and buy them, but how many would think they could move up to clubs less likely to be rooted to the bottom of the table all season ?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 May 2017 16:31

I think they'd have fair chance of loaning them again - Chelsea and Man City would like to see how Mooy and Brown cut it at that level. I think they have bought Kachunga now. He was a good spot to be fair, not an amazing record prior to playing for them

JR

by JR » 03 May 2017 17:19

EFL should dock Huddersfield 6 points effective immediately.

At the same time the FA should ban Sane and Rashford for 3 matches for their dives to win penalties at the weekend. 6 games for Sanchez.

That would eradicate the practices of diving and fielding heavily weakened teams overnight.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 May 2017 18:16

If they impose random punishments that have no support under league rules then it won't solve anything.
Huddersfield don't deserve a points deduction....

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 May 2017 18:22

Nameless If they impose random punishments that have no support under league rules then it won't solve anything.
Huddersfield don't deserve a points deduction....

I commend your efforts to fight the good fight. I couldn't make it. We were outnumbered one of us was bound to fall to the horde.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 03 May 2017 19:05

Huddersfield wouldn't get a points deduction because they didn't gain any points.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 May 2017 19:41

That's not how a points deduction works.
They didn't make any money but a fine is still the likely outcome...

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 03 May 2017 20:12

Still not had anyone explain why the 3pts Birmingham picked up against Huddersfield are more critical to their survival than the 6pts they took off Fulham or the 4pts they took off Blackburn.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 03 May 2017 20:41

JR EFL should dock Huddersfield 6 points effective immediately.

Or give them 6 extra points so they have play Fulham.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 May 2017 21:01

From Despair To Where? But it's ok for a full strength Aston Villa team to put in a totally gutless performance, devoid of effort against another team fighting against relegation.

Its swings and roundabouts and in this case, the law is an ass. One match our of 522 does not make any more or any less difference than any other. These are first team squad players playing in a first team game.

You can't objectively measure effort. You can objectively measure team selection changes.

Huddersfield lost the argument the second Wagner basically said he can field whatever team he wanted and Blackburn and co should have done better over the rest of the season. It's effectively admitting he deliberately fielded a weakened side.

If he'd come out and talked about niggles, fatigue and squad rotation, they might be ok. Or better yet spread his changes over a couple of games.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 May 2017 21:05

From Despair To Where? Still not had anyone explain why the 3pts Birmingham picked up against Huddersfield are more critical to their survival than the 6pts they took off Fulham or the 4pts they took off Blackburn.

Probably because its self explanatory.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 May 2017 21:06

From Despair To Where? Still not had anyone explain why the 3pts Birmingham picked up against Huddersfield are more critical to their survival than the 6pts they took off Fulham or the 4pts they took off Blackburn.

Because they came at the crucial point of the season and come from being given an advantage over a rival by a third party.

Or are you suggesting that if a team turned up and deliberately scored 3 OGs, because it's only one game out of 500+ it has no bearing on the league table. :roll:

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 03 May 2017 22:06

Its a bullshit arguement. Its like 2008. We didn't get relegated because Portsmouth fielded a weakened team against Fulham, we got relegated because we went on a 9 game losing run, failed to compete in winnable home games against relegation rivals, conceded injury time winners and over the course of 38 games, weren't fcuking good enough. End of and it's no different for Blackburn or Forest or whoever goes down this season. If you don't like it, do better in the 46 games you do have some control over.

Let's whinge about the referee or what another team did instead of focusing on what we could have done better to avoid the situation arising in the first place. It's always someone else's fault. Forest and Blackburn have been sniffing round the arse end of the table all season, they're there entirely on merit.

double d

by double d » 03 May 2017 22:27

From Despair To Where? Its a bullshit arguement. Its like 2008. We didn't get relegated because Portsmouth fielded a weakened team against Fulham, we got relegated because we went on a 9 game losing run, failed to compete in winnable home games against relegation rivals, conceded injury time winners and over the course of 38 games, weren't fcuking good enough. End of and it's no different for Blackburn or Forest or whoever goes down this season. If you don't like it, do better in the 46 games you do have some control over.

Let's whinge about the referee or what another team did instead of focusing on what we could have done better to avoid the situation arising in the first place. It's always someone else's fault. Forest and Blackburn have been sniffing round the arse end of the table all season, they're there entirely on merit.

Power post. Blackburn have been God damn awful for the entire season apart from probably the last 7 or 8 games at a max. It's their own fault they are down they. Managers should feel free to pick who they want to play in their own squad on any given match day.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 04 May 2017 06:48

Why would anyone explain something that has no relevance to the issue ?

I don't think there is a point of common understanding on this and we're just going round in circles. Maybe just best to park it.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 04 May 2017 08:52

Nameless I don't think there is a point of common understanding on this

Because the rule is too vague