Team for Huddersfield

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Team for Huddersfield

by Top Flight » 18 May 2017 22:00

I agree that Swift hasn't looked as good as he usually does in the last couple of games against Fulham. But I think a lot of that is down to the system that we have played. Swift is good at dribbling with the ball and threading little passes through to people. He likes to play one twos, give and go's. For Swift to be at his best we need to attack in numbers and he needs to have players around him that he can push the ball through to create chances.

Usually we play a 4-3-3 and Swift goes forward with support from Kermorgant, McCleary, Beerens, Williams and Kelly or Evans. This gives him a lot of options from an attacking sense and we see the best of Swift in that system. Against Fulham we were ultra defensive and very concerned about Fulhams threats. We went 5-3-2 and when we attacked it was Swift moving forward with Kermie and Grabban. Swift isn't the fastest runner and had to cover more distance meaning he was more likely to get caught up with and also there were less options for Swift with the gaps between players being much wider which doesn't play to Swift's strengths of close knit interplay.

Perhaps in an ultra defensive 5-3-2 format Kelly would be a better option because of his Andrea Pirlo quality long balls that could really get Grabban running in down a channel or in behind. Kelly is good at the interplay but he can mix it up with superb longer range passing.

Whether to go with Swift or not probably depends on Stam's gameplan for this one. I have no idea what the best way to set up would be. Sometimes we go a more attacking and creative 4-3-3 with Kelly, Swift and Williams. Other times we do 4-3-3 with a solid defensive mid in Evans or VDB with then one of Swift or Kelly. Stam has built a good squad with many different variations and ways to play. This is probably the most adaptable Reading side that I have ever seen. A side that has a plan A, a plan B, a plan C, a Plan D and so on.... It is a side that can switch formations and tactics at the drop of a hat to suit any opposition or any circumstances that unfold in a game. The improvement over the season has been remarkable. Stam has experimented at the right times and in the right games and when his experiments went wrong he changed things back again.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 18 May 2017 22:07

------------------Al-Habsi----------------------
Gunter--Ilori--Moore--Blackett--Obita
--------------------Evans------------------------
---------Williams-------Swift-----------------
-----------------McCleary----------------------
---------------Kermorgant--------------------

May as well try and win it eh?

Chuckle Brother

by Chuckle Brother » 18 May 2017 22:16

NewCorkSeth ------------------Al-Habsi----------------------

This will do me nicely.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 18 May 2017 22:19

Jack Celliers Al Habsi
Gunter, Moore, Blackett, Obita
Kelly, Williams, Swift
Beerens, Kermogant, McCleary

We're not playing Fulham so we don't need to play seven defenders.

^Agree with almost all of this

It would leave us more open than recently, but we must have faith n the players who have played the majority to get to this point.

Nice big Wembley pitch, good amount of wing for Gunter and Obita to combine with Beerens and Mcleary as they've done so very well all season.

Full faith in Moore & Blackett to keep Wells quiet as part of a back 4.

I would have a Midfield 3 of Evans, Swift & Williams - that'll do nicely.

Kermorgant to run 'em ragged and hit 'em hard

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 18 May 2017 22:28

With McDermott's diamond formation?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 18 May 2017 22:46

Top Flight

With McDermott's diamond formation?

McCleary is behind just to indicate he will be playing a deep lying forward role.

TheLawnMowerMan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by TheLawnMowerMan » 18 May 2017 23:28

Everything Swift did on Tuesday was just a bit off form.
I think we need Kelly to collect the ball from the defence to relieve the pressure that Huddersfield will put them under.

Stam can sort the rest out, but I think it is all fairly obvious if Obita is fit apart from Swift/Kelly and Grabban/Mendes or only one up front.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 18 May 2017 23:39

TheLawnMowerMan Everything Swift did on Tuesday was just a bit off form.
I think we need Kelly to collect the ball from the defence to relieve the pressure that Huddersfield will put them under.

Stam can sort the rest out, but I think it is all fairly obvious if Obita is fit apart from Swift/Kelly and Grabban/Mendes or only one up front.

I don't think it is that obvious. Do we need to go 5-3-2 ultra defensive against Huddersfield? We beat them at home playing a 4-3-3 set up. Huddersfield have a negative goal difference. We might be better off trying to test their resolve a little bit and have faith that 4 at the back can hold out against them. Do Huddersfield carry the same type of attacking threat as Fulham?

Sheffield Wednesday were pretty solid against them in a 4-4-2. We might be better off going 4-3-3.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 18 May 2017 23:39

Kelly also offers more defensively than Swift.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 18 May 2017 23:42

CountryRoyal Kelly also offers more defensively than Swift.

That's true, although to be fair, I was quite impressed with Swift's defensive contribution against Fulham. He went and made good blocks and interceptions in the defensive third on a number of occasions. It was probably a one off. But that collective effort from every player saw us get over the line against Fulham. We'll need more of the same against Huddersfield.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 18 May 2017 23:46

I re watched the game again (probably good idea as remember f all from the night) and was pretty dissapointed with a lot of Swift's attacking contributions, not least the miss.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 18 May 2017 23:51

CountryRoyal I re watched the game again (probably good idea as remember f all from the night) and was pretty dissapointed with a lot of Swift's attacking contributions, not least the miss.

He was poor but I don't think the system helped him. The mentality was ultra defensive and to hit Fulham on the break. You need pace to do that and Swift doesn't have pace. He likes to thread little passes through, play one twos and little give and go's. You need players around you to do that further up the pitch. Up the pitch we only really ever had Swift, Grabban and Kermie who were getting forward on the break. The gameplan didn't suit Swift particularly well. This was a game for someone like Shane Long with Kelly's pin point passes from deep.

alfie9

by alfie9 » 18 May 2017 23:53

I'm just going to trust Stam. He could start Gravenberch and I'd nod my head in agreement after the masterclass he pulled against Fulham

If I had to choose, I'm inclined to go 5-3-2 again with the same lineup as the second leg, Obita in for VDB, Blackett to CB. I agree with most about Swift but I'd like to keep Kelly on the bench as an impact sub.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 May 2017 07:03

You could play 3-5-2 with Gunter and Obita much further forward than against Fulham.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 19 May 2017 07:48

Any one in for swift

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 19 May 2017 07:52

Hound You could play 3-5-2 with Gunter and Obita much further forward than against Fulham.

I don't think Obita will be fit. The club are just keeping quiet to keep Huddersfield guessing and uncertain.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 19 May 2017 07:54

well, now you've gone and told them, you plank

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 19 May 2017 07:58

I'm not an official at the club and know Jack sh!t about it. Huddersfield can't make plans around any information coming out of my mouth. Me know nothing.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 19 May 2017 09:12

If be really surprised if Obita isn't ready. I seem to recall suggesting that "Tuesday might be too soon" which insinuates, to me, that he certainly won't be out for another 10 days.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 19 May 2017 09:58

He was still wearing some kind of support around his leg when the camera zoomed in on him at the Mad Stad on Tuesday night.