The Shame Your Block Thread

199 posts
Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Shame Your Block Thread

by Jackson Corner » 05 Jun 2017 13:58

bobby1413
Jackson Corner Let me just tell you why this club will always struggle to attract new fans. Or at least have a more dedicated loyal fan base. For me it was summed up by a gentleman I was chatting to on the on the train going to Paddington.
"You going to the game mate". ( I was wearing my Reading colours) " yes mate" I replied.
Him "See the game Saturday I thought my Gunners p.....d all over Chelsea "
Me " your Gunners what part of North London are you from?"
Him "Tilehurst"
Me " so why are you coming today?.
Him " Here for the f.......n crack, don't give a toss about Reading. Don't get me wrong I hope they win be nice to take me boy to see the Gunners next season".
As this conversation of two intellectual minds progressed, I later found he could not name a Reading player and had only been to about 5 games at the Mad Stad. Turned out he didn't know that much about Arsenal either.

That story doesn't say anything or have any relation to why Reading will apparently struggle to attract new fans.

All you've done is provided a great example of the typical, ignorant, and irrelevant opinions or a big club fan.

Someone who is a "massive supporter" but look at you confused when you ask them "great result for you guys, did you go?" Or who talk fondly of the time they went to the Arsenal game 3 years ago. They always have the latest shirt though and also subscribe to ArsenalTV.

RFC can and has attracted new fans. The longer we maintain championship football (In my opinion a high level of football) the better. Even more so with PL obviously.

The towns changing. It's bigger and is more populated. As generations go on then we can accumulate more fans.

See my "does reading do enough around town" thread. Going into schools, open days, an actual presence in town helps.

Random shoppers should not be able to walk through town for the day without seeing adverts for football, or a poster or a tv screen showing the fixtures or how to buy tickets.

The point I was trying to make is I have come across many people like this in and around the town. Claim to be football fans, yet have a perfectly good team on the doorstep, and can't be arsed to watch them. I don't have a problem with people supporting big clubs. But I know people who are anti Reading FC and even though they live in the town seem happy to se them fail which I will never understand.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 05 Jun 2017 15:27

RoyalBlue
Para Handy
RoyalBlue Finally if you think 'The Shame Your Block Thread' is a demand, it's a damn good job you're not a teacher. Try reading the title again. The use of 'the' at the start prevents it being a demand. 'Shame your block' might have been a demand but that's not what's written, is it?

Lolz. We'll have to disagree on the semantics there. You're a twat so I don't mind disagreeing with you. I'm not even sure I should engage with you. How many games have you been to? Enough to warrant a another reply? I suspect not.

I would suggest resorting to insults proves my point about education. Take it from me, it's not semantics - use of the word 'The' makes the meaning absolutely clear. So I suggest you might have been better off listening to teachers rather than picking on them.

Indeed - it makes it clear that this is the thread where we should be shaming our blocks (rather than any other thread).

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 06 Jun 2017 11:54

Reading are the only club I've ever witnessed fans turning on each other and getting fellow fans kicked out.

Happened at Sunderland away, Charlton away and West Brom away.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 06 Jun 2017 12:31

No Fixed Abode Reading are the only club I've ever witnessed fans turning on each other and getting fellow fans kicked out.

I wouldn't usually take the bait, but I'm on a 5hr coach to Zamość... I'll even link your favourite newspaper x

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2308633/Millwall-shame-FA-Cup-fans-fight-EACH-OTHER-stands-Wembley.html

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 06 Jun 2017 12:33

Cureton's Volley
No Fixed Abode Reading are the only club I've ever witnessed fans turning on each other and getting fellow fans kicked out.

I wouldn't usually take the bait, but I'm on a 5hr coach to Zamość... I'll even link your favourite newspaper x

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2308633/Millwall-shame-FA-Cup-fans-fight-EACH-OTHER-stands-Wembley.html

It's not bait. It's true. I said "I've witnessed".

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 06 Jun 2017 12:36

No Fixed Abode
Cureton's Volley

Presumably you've never watched any other football team then....
Happens all the time.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 06 Jun 2017 12:39

muirinho
No Fixed Abode
Cureton's Volley

Happens all the time.

I've been to see loads of clubs all over the country. Never happened there. Just West Brom v Reading. Sunderland v Reading and Charlton v Reading. Like I said, I'm not saying it doesn't happen elsewhere, that's the cases I've personally witnessed.

double d

by double d » 06 Jun 2017 12:48

No Fixed Abode
muirinho
No Fixed Abode

Happens all the time.

I've been to see loads of clubs all over the country. Never happened there. Just West Brom v Reading. Sunderland v Reading and Charlton v Reading. Like I said, I'm not saying it doesn't happen elsewhere, that's the cases I've personally witnessed.

What happened?

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 06 Jun 2017 12:50

No Fixed Abode
muirinho
No Fixed Abode

Happens all the time.

You were trying to make it out to be something virtually unique to Reading, based on a tiny sample. oxf*rd off.

"fans fighting each other" throws up bucketloads....

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/blood-st ... 82470.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rates.html
https://www.google.co.uk/search?https:/ ... x3iQdp3t9o (Aston Villa)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0awhPwRN1yo (Sheffield Wednesday)
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... ht-8808276

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 06 Jun 2017 13:03

muirinho
No Fixed Abode
muirinho
Happens all the time.

You were trying to make it out to be something virtually unique to Reading, based on a tiny sample. oxf*rd off.

"fans fighting each other" throws up bucketloads....

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/blood-st ... 82470.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rates.html
https://www.google.co.uk/search?https:/ ... x3iQdp3t9o (Aston Villa)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0awhPwRN1yo (Sheffield Wednesday)
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... ht-8808276

No I wasn't. That's your club paranoia kicking in.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 06 Jun 2017 13:05

double d
No Fixed Abode
muirinho
Happens all the time.

What happened?

Away end at West Brom - some miserable gits got some fans thrown out for trying to have a good time, ya know, sing and support the team. Sunderland away - there was a bloke I know who works up there, Reading fans accused him of being a Sunderland fan, got him and his m8 kicked out. Charlton away - same as West Brom.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 06 Jun 2017 13:10

No Fixed Abode
double d
No Fixed Abode

What happened?

Away end at West Brom - some miserable gits got some fans thrown out for trying to have a good time, ya know, sing and support the team. Sunderland away - there was a bloke I know who works up there, Reading fans accused him of being a Sunderland fan, got him and his m8 kicked out. Charlton away - same as West Brom.

Then you get idiot fans vs Portsmouth who were throwing coins at Jamie Ashdown who should of got kicked out!!

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 06 Jun 2017 13:18

paultheroyal
No Fixed Abode
double d
What happened?

Then you get idiot fans vs Portsmouth who were throwing coins at Jamie Ashdown who should of got kicked out!!

Oh deffo. There are always idiots who deserve to be thrown out. The incidents I've mention they didn't.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 06 Jun 2017 13:18

paultheroyal
No Fixed Abode
double d
What happened?

Oh deffo. There are always idiots who deserve to be thrown out. The incidents I've mention they didn't.

Stockport Royal

by Stockport Royal » 06 Jun 2017 13:35

No Fixed Abode
paultheroyal
No Fixed Abode

To be fair I was there at Charlton and it was one of the rowdier away days I've done, and I did see not one but a few 'fans' having words with stewards and gesturing at members of the yoof.

Blame Rakels!

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 07 Jun 2017 22:22

RoyalBlue Take it from me, it's not semantics - use of the word 'The' makes the meaning absolutely clear. So I suggest you might have been better off listening to teachers rather than picking on them

RoyalBlue Maybe, it's 'semantics'

Well, make your mind up m8.

RoyalBlue ...but I really am struggling to see the relevance of 'games attended'. However, I stopped counting very many years ago. It's not as many as when I was younger, without dependents and therefore able to travel all home and most away games (haven't lived in the Reading area since I was 18) but it's still a lot.

Yeah, One might even come to the conclusion that I'm taking the piss out of the whole thread and whose a better fan even.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 08 Jun 2017 20:12

No Fixed Abode Away end at West Brom - some miserable gits got some fans thrown out for trying to have a good time, ya know, sing and support the team. Sunderland away - there was a bloke I know who works up there, Reading fans accused him of being a Sunderland fan, got him and his m8 kicked out. Charlton away - same as West Brom.

What are you doing going to so many Reading away games that you keep seeing these things?

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 08 Jun 2017 22:11

No Fixed Abode
paultheroyal
No Fixed Abode

Seriously. You do need to change your tune. EVERYONE that reads this forum knows you are in for the wind up. And if that what gives you your pleasure, then up to you.

But every now and again, you should try and actually post something which is sensible, or would make a reasonable debate, or isn't just to try and wind folks up.

Your posts are dull, uninspiring, childish, thoughtless, painful, embarrassing...and I am being kind.

Don't reply with a pathetic rolling eyes, or indeed don't bother replying at all. I am just saying what we ALL think about your cringing posts. I believe you are Chelsea.....enough said.

double d

by double d » 08 Jun 2017 23:14

Barney
No Fixed Abode
paultheroyal

Seriously. You do need to change your tune. EVERYONE that reads this forum knows you are in for the wind up. And if that what gives you your pleasure, then up to you.

But every now and again, you should try and actually post something which is sensible, or would make a reasonable debate, or isn't just to try and wind folks up.

Your posts are dull, uninspiring, childish, thoughtless, painful, embarrassing...and I am being kind.

Don't reply with a pathetic rolling eyes, or indeed don't bother replying at all. I am just saying what we ALL think about your cringing posts. I believe you are Chelsea.....enough said.

Rattlolololed :lol:

199 posts