Now starts the re-build

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

Now starts the re-build

by paddy20 » 30 May 2017 08:51

More heartache but lets be honest we weren't that great at Wembley. Stam has done a great job at getting us there but we now need to look forward, hopefully with some money, to make the team better next season.

Where do you think we need to strengthen and who do we need to offload?

For me it would be midfield and attack.

Bart7

Re: Now starts the re-build

by Bart7 » 30 May 2017 09:07

Agreed. Stam has done a brilliant job and over achieved!

Kermorgant has been brilliant, but he's not getting any younger. We need a goal scorer at this level, could we nab Chris Wood from Leeds?

Trust Stam to build us a good side for next season and let's hope he is still around for next season! :D

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 30 May 2017 09:08

We need technically better attacking midfielders who have pace. The problem as I see it is that we are a lot of the time just too slow and ponderous when we have the chance to break allowing the opposition to regroup and get back in position. I like Swift but he is probably the biggest problem in that area, but we just don't have any other real options in that position.

The defence is fine, they just need to continue working on distributing from the back and cutting out the silly errors.

Up front we need another prolific striker.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 30 May 2017 09:13

As I posted elsewhere this morning...

I could see this summer being a relatively quiet one compared to recent seasons with a emphasis on quality over quantity, especially up front where our options just aren't quite good enough.

The only player I can see leaving that we don't really want to lose is Danny Williams, and perhaps McCleary or Gunter. The rest of them probably won't be in demand enough or at the right time of their career to be leaving. I'm much more worried about losing Stam than any of the players right now. Even though I'm not the biggest fan of our style of play Stam has done an excellent job getting the side to where he has in such a short space of time.

I think the biggest thing the side needs to add over the summer is a bit more attacking intent and willingness to take a risk in order to create something.

I do agree with WR that the ability to move the ball a bit quicker through the midfield would help, but in Williams, Evans, Kelly and Swift (the early season model not the post-Xmas one) we have that to a certain degree, they just need the options and freedom to take a few more risks.

Davezk

by Davezk » 30 May 2017 09:14

Bart7 Agreed. Stam has done a brilliant job and over achieved!

Kermorgant has been brilliant, but he's not getting any younger. We need a goal scorer at this level, could we nab Chris Wood from Leeds?

Trust Stam to build us a good side for next season and let's hope he is still around for next season! :D

This is why threads like this are silly. Chris Wood whilst a good player, wouldn't move to Reading as Leeds would want silly money and it is a sideways move for him.

If people are going to suggest players, at least be realistic.

We do need a striker who has a bit of pace. Another winger would be nice. Defensively I think we are ok (despite getting a few hammerings). We need a central midfielder with good off the ball movement and drive to go forwards without losing the ball.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 30 May 2017 09:18

Davezk

This is why threads like this are silly. Chris Wood whilst a good player, wouldn't move to Reading as Leeds would want silly money and it is a sideways move for him.

We do need a striker who has a bit of pace. Another winger would be nice. Defensively I think we are ok (despite getting a few hammerings). We need a central midfielder with good off the ball movement and drive to go forwards without losing the ball.

Agreed re Wood, and I also don't think he is the sort of striker we need either. It's difficult to suggest players at the moment - but for proven ability at this level we could do worse than consider approaching Chelsea for a season-long deal on Abraham.

Bart7

by Bart7 » 30 May 2017 09:20

I am also a bit worried about the strength of this division next year also. Norwich and Villa will improve after a season in the Championship and will strengthen there squads accordingly with the Parachute Payments they are receiving. Also you are getting two team that know how to get out of this division in Boro and Hull. You also have Fulham and Sheffield Wednesday ready to challenge again and I can see both them teams being back financially to make a run at the top 6.

So my questions is will Stam have enough backing to break into that top six or top two?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 30 May 2017 09:21

Wood has played for 9 (NINE) clubs in the UK, and only this season did he look even half decent.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 30 May 2017 09:23

Sanguine
Davezk

Agreed re Wood, and I also don't think he is the sort of striker we need either. It's difficult to suggest players at the moment - but for proven ability at this level we could do worse than consider approaching Chelsea for a season-long deal on Abraham.

Think he said realistic targets. Abraham will go to a Prem team!!!!

Wayne Rooney perhaps...... :D :D

Bart7

by Bart7 » 30 May 2017 09:23

Sanguine
Davezk

Granted the Wood signing would be a long shot, but if Leeds go into meltdown, which is not entirely questionable, it wouldn't be much of a side step. But you can bet Boro, Sunderland and Hull will have there eye on Wood with their Premier League pay packet from coming down!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 30 May 2017 09:24

Sanguine Agreed re Wood, and I also don't think he is the sort of striker we need either. It's difficult to suggest players at the moment - but for proven ability at this level we could do worse than consider approaching Chelsea for a season-long deal on Abraham.

Agreed in principal but Abraham is reportedly being lined up by Newcastle and Brighton and after his season this year you'd expect Chelsea would want him to get a decent chance in the Premier League to see if he might stand a chance of making it with them, unlike a someone like Patrick Bamford or one of their many other loanees.

Davezk

by Davezk » 30 May 2017 09:35

We need to sign the better players of lower championship / upper league 1 players or those in the prem who would be available on loan.

No obvious names spring to mind though tbh.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 30 May 2017 10:31

Bart7 I am also a bit worried about the strength of this division next year also. Norwich and Villa will improve after a season in the Championship and will strengthen there squads accordingly with the Parachute Payments they are receiving. Also you are getting two team that know how to get out of this division in Boro and Hull. You also have Fulham and Sheffield Wednesday ready to challenge again and I can see both them teams being back financially to make a run at the top 6.

So my questions is will Stam have enough backing to break into that top six or top two?

Maybe, but you could've said this at the beginning of this season.

Norwich, Villa, Newcastle were expected to dominate. Wednesday ready to push on from a playoff final defeat, and Brighton had expectations too. And we still finished 3rd.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 30 May 2017 10:37

We need a central midfielder who can move the ball quickly and drive from Midfield.

We need a striker capable of leading the line.

We need left back cover. Blackett isn't a left back.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 30 May 2017 10:53

A center forward who I still think has a lot of potential but should surely be available again for a Championship side this summer is James Wilson at United.

I'm not suggesting he's the man to replace Kermorgant as such, but he's just a typical Premier League youngster who won't get a chance at his current club but could be a decent Championship player, and more, in the future and the kind of player we are more than capable of attracting.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 30 May 2017 10:57

Do we have a buy back on Tish?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 May 2017 11:09

It's always very easy to say we need a new forward and not always as easy to pick one that is realistic.
I think we stick with Kermorgant who has shown his quality particularly in the latter half of the season. As for backup Mendes needs another look. He obviously has something in him so let's hold off on the big name striker talk.
Williams if he leaves is the only one we need to replace and that will be the hard fight this summer.

Bob Smith

by Bob Smith » 30 May 2017 11:20

Kitsondinho Do we have a buy back on Tish?

What, like a sale or return? Hope not.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 30 May 2017 11:36

Depending on our primary system for next season, could do with the following (upgrades on what we have already)

Wingback
NO10
Winger
Forward

Good thing is most the squad at a good age on long term deals, so for once we wont have a summer with a total rebuild required.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 May 2017 11:49

No rebuild necessary. We've got the bones of an excellent team and I can't see any reason we'd lose most of them.

A few signings tostrengthen and a clear strategy for the shape we'll take.

Not getting promoted is great news for the likes of Watson, Kelly, Evans, Swift Stacey and co who all get another season to reach their potential