matchwatch : reading v vitesse arnhem (at adams park, 3pm)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: matchwatch : reading v vitesse arnhem (at adams park, 3pm)

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jul 2017 20:10

CountryRoyal
tmesis I was going to ask if Danny Loader gets in the first team, he'd be the first Reading 1st teamer born in the 21st century, but it seems he was born on 28th August 2000, so maybe he'll be the youngest 20th century player instead.

That's still the 21st century though.

Thanks for the write up, how did Smith and Loader look compared with the grown ups?

There wasn't a year zero, so it's the final year of the 19th century. Commonly considered the 21st, but not technically.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 29 Jul 2017 20:23

Dreadful first half in which we looked completely flat and Mannone looked a shadow of AAH. Thought Jon Dadi looked OK but he didn't get any chances. Gunter clear MOTM that half, one utterly incredible run to get on the end of a long pass from Evans and just keep it on, playing a first-time cross that Swift should have scored from.

Second half much better.

CountryRoyal Thanks for the write up, how did Smith and Loader look compared with the grown ups?

Smith is an adult, turning 20 this season (so he's he same age Long was when we were relegated). Not perfect by any means but bright and dynamic and a good passer for a striker. Probably still too one-footed, needs to get more confident striking with his right.

Loader didn't play for very long. One great run which tbqh was probably the best thing I've seen him do, although I think the defence should have done better.

Richards played 45 minutes at left back. Lost control of the ball at a crucial time when I think he wasn't expecting Smith to pass to him, but otherwise did well, very keen on the overlap and covered well.

Rimonhota was the other youngster who got a decent amount of time. Again, not enough to say very much but of the four I think he was least impressive. Our closest thing to Williams right now but not nearly as good.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 29 Jul 2017 20:24

Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal
tmesis I was going to ask if Danny Loader gets in the first team, he'd be the first Reading 1st teamer born in the 21st century, but it seems he was born on 28th August 2000, so maybe he'll be the youngest 20th century player instead.

That's still the 21st century though.

Thanks for the write up, how did Smith and Loader look compared with the grown ups?

There wasn't a year zero, so it's the final year of the 19th century. Commonly considered the 21st, but not technically.

I'm not having that. You're trying to tell me everything I know to be true is a lie.

Next I bet you're going to try and say Santa isn't real or we're not signing Gayle.

Nope. Not having it, not one bit.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jul 2017 20:27

Gayle is Santa.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 29 Jul 2017 20:31

Snowflake Royal Gayle is Santa.

The Cube

by The Cube » 29 Jul 2017 20:37

One of the pleasures of pre-season is visiting Mickey Mouse non-league clubs, so obviously a trip to Wycombe was a must.

Bodvarsson was substituted at half-time. That meant he contributed exactly as much in the second half as he did in the first. Maybe his second half performance was actually slightly better because he didn't lose the ball at all.

Clement looked neat but with no product. A bit like a younger Beerens, say. Should have won a penalty, but in reality he should have found a way to score before the foul (that the officials chose not to see) took place.

Mannone made one save, but as he parried that straight back to an opponent who scored it doesn't really count. His distribution varied from average to poor, occasionally very poor.

I thought Smith and Richards both looked timid when they came on at half-time. But as the game went on they both got more involved and as they got the confidence looked good. Loader and Rinomhota both did decent work from the off, but were naive in their final ball. Wouldn't really want to throw any of the four in to the first team just yet.

Always a bit difficult to tell when the game is at about three-quarter pace, but I would rank Vitesse above any club we will play this season. Reading's performance was therefore not too bad, with the best work coming from the midfielders Kelly, Swift and perhaps Evans. But there's just no point unless we get somone who will score the goals.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Jul 2017 20:44

Listening to the commentary, it sounded like Bodvarsson had a reasonably decent sesh......but

here we go (yet) again?

Opinionzzzzzzz already formed, based on media chit chat

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 29 Jul 2017 21:02

AthleticoSpizz Listening to the commentary, it sounded like Bodvarsson had a reasonably decent sesh......but

here we go (yet) again?

He didn't impress at all, but neither did anyone else in the first hour. Until the last half hour we played the game like we were playing Basingstoke in the middle of July, in our first pre-season friendly, rather than looking like were were playing our final friendly.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Jul 2017 21:12

you were there, I wasn't....no arguement, just going on what I heard.

However, it reads on here that many have already decided to Nick Blackman him.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 29 Jul 2017 21:27

CountryRoyal I know it's only preseason but getting hammered by a fairly average team a week before QPR can hardly be good preparation.

:? Look a bit silly now..

Today was good preparation. VA played the type of game we can expect this season. Sit back and counter attack. Second half they definitely sat back and did not press so high up the pitch. May well have been an agreement between the managers. Given the second string bench that was named and played.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 29 Jul 2017 21:34

The Cube
Mannone made one save, but as he parried that straight back to an opponent who scored it doesn't really count. His distribution varied from average to poor, occasionally very poor.

Still settling in. During the warm up was noticeable that he can kick with both feet. Whereas AL H didn't have a left foot at all. So always had to get the ball onto his right. Also can kick far further up the pitch. A different type of keeper but potentially an improvement. Once there's an understanding built with the defence.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 29 Jul 2017 21:58

AthleticoSpizz you were there, I wasn't....no arguement, just going on what I heard.

However, it reads on here that many have already decided to Nick Blackman him.

On here? This thread? Not really.

He was no worse or better than anyone else in the first half. All we learned in the first half is that he's capable of looking poor when he's going at half-pace, which is true of probably every single player in the championship. We'll learn nothing until next week.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Jul 2017 22:03

Soz, not this thread...your analysis is appreciated

(but)

Just his general lack of acceptance by The Team board in general

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 Jul 2017 22:25

Bodvarsson was winning plenty of challenges and trying to flick the ball on but no one was making the runs. It made him look worse than he was for no fault of his own !
Odd that the Cube thinks Mannone's distribution was poor. He looked more comfortable than Al Habsi with the ball at his feet and a couple of times in the first half hit really good passes to midfielders which springboarded attacks.
The first goal did come from a rebound off him but not sure he was really at fault as he closed down a one on one, just unlucky. Second goal was a mishit shot that took a deflection but the third he probably should have covered his post better. He looked fine, neither world class not disasterous and of all positions I think you cannot make snap judgements about keepers. Hahnemann looked awful in his first game....

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Jul 2017 09:03

It was a game of two halves really. A poor performance in the first half followed by a really good effort and much nearer expectations in the second.

Berg and Bodvarsson both got injured and were subbed.

None of the new signings impressed.

Overall thought Smith, Gunter, Swift and Popa were the players that did well.

As ever it's the striking department where Reading look very weak and really fail to carry much threat during a game - so pretty much just like last season then.

Going to be fun if Bodvarsson is out for any length of time as I can't see Smith being considered quite ready for FL action just yet.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 30 Jul 2017 09:46

The Vitesse Arnham striker Matavz looked a handful.

We could do with someone like him up front.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 30 Jul 2017 09:49

Sutekh
Going to be fun if Bodvarsson is out for any length of time as I can't see Smith being considered quite ready for FL action just yet.

Smith has rapidly shot up the pecking order. Last season he was on loan in the National League South at Hemel or St Albans can't remember which one. Now he could be starting up front against QPR. He was impressive against Arnham.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Jul 2017 09:52

Top Flight The Vitesse Arnham striker Matavz looked a handful.

Weren't we linked with him last year or is that my imagination ?

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 30 Jul 2017 10:01

Hound
Top Flight The Vitesse Arnham striker Matavz looked a handful.

Weren't we linked with him last year or is that my imagination ?

Now you say that, it feels like it rings a bell. I can't remember to be honest.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 30 Jul 2017 10:08

tmesis
AthleticoSpizz Listening to the commentary, it sounded like Bodvarsson had a reasonably decent sesh......but

here we go (yet) again?

He didn't impress at all, but neither did anyone else in the first hour. Until the last half hour we played the game like we were playing Basingstoke in the middle of July, in our first pre-season friendly, rather than looking like were were playing our final friendly.

Thought he was incredibly isolated in the first half. A couple of times he won headers and no one was near him to pick up the 2nd ball, or he controlled it and didn't have an easy lay off and ultimately got out numbered.