7%
Ian Royal
7%

Total votes: 239
genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: In or Out?

by genome » 28 Sep 2017 11:58

Interesting* that the (admittedly more nuanced) poll results for The Tilehurst End were much more in favour of Stam.

Maybe you're all just a bunch of negative bastards.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 28 Sep 2017 12:26

genome Interesting* that the (admittedly more nuanced) poll results for The Tilehurst End were much more in favour of Stam.

Maybe you're all just a bunch of negative bastards.

Us? Negative?

Tbf 52% clearly demonstrate they are not happy with his performance, so who knows after a few more shit performances. (And vice versa obvs)

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 28 Sep 2017 12:59

On the question of how we play I would much prefer it is stats for possession were shown in a different way.
Some spread betting firms offer odds based on ,amongst other things such as goals, free-kicks and corners won etc.,the number of successful passes made in the opposition's half presumably based on establishing what impact is made on the game.

Stats that we see are always based on possession wherever that is on the pitch so it appears that a team like Reading must be a good passing side .
I would prefer to see stats based on possession in the opposition's half as it would be a better indicator of how effective our possession is.

Ultimately we just want to see more goals and IMHO that is only unlikely if we have more possession in our half than the opposition's-with no big striker even the long-ball option isn't there although our back 3 quite often end up doing that when they exceed their passing between each other targets.which presumably Stam sets them.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 28 Sep 2017 15:24

Muskrat
Lower West We won't be relegated.

You see it's this kind of complacency that troubles me, and moreover I believe Stam thinks the same way. Of course we can be relegated - in case you hadn't noticed, we're sh1t !!!

If I could see even the faintest glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel then I'd give Stam the benefit of the doubt, but I'm afraid I can't see it, not even a photon. So on that basis.....

Setting yourself up for an almighty embarrassment...

Yes, we could be relegated. It's unlikely, but possible. Completely ruling out the possibility would be stupid.

Completely ruling out the possibility that our form might improve is next-level stupid.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 28 Sep 2017 15:34

I am really torn on this one.

On one hand, Stam did a brilliant job in his first season in charge, albeit the football was dull to watch and in all honesty I came away from the majority of games thinking that we were lucky to win.

That said, most of the games I have watched since we were last in the Premiership have been pretty boring. There were a couple of months in the 2015/16 season when SC was in charge that I enjoyed going to the games but that was short lived after Fulham's 4-2 comeback at Craven Cottage.

I remember thinking after Brendon was sacked that i wish we'd given him more time. Could it be better in the long run to endure a couple of tedious seasons, if we end up with a style that's similar to Swansea's?

On the other hand, I believe that Alan Pardew (if we could forgive and forget) would be able to get better results from this current squad, which for me with the addition of a quality striker or 2 would be the best that we have ever had.

I am afraid that I can't make up my mind.......

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 28 Sep 2017 15:40

Fortunately in many ways a internet vote will have no bearing whether he goes or stays. there are forums up and down the country like ours with varying opinions. but not one of them as got a manager the sack yet to my knowledge.
However I`m sure the Chinese are keeping a close eye on procedings. we are going to be severely tested in the next 4 games. anything less than 4 points and he could be under pressure.
But I`m in the give him more time camp on this.

Berry

by Berry » 28 Sep 2017 15:47

Stay.....Only to see if Kerm will make the difference, remember Brighton have also fuked up over no striker and if they had bought then Hemed more than likely would of been ours.....If Oliveria hits 2 or 3 Saturday then I feel pressure will see Stam leave unfortunately

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 28 Sep 2017 16:23

Berry Stay.....Only to see if Kerm will make the difference, remember Brighton have also fuked up over no striker and if they had bought then Hemed more than likely would of been ours.....If Oliveria hits 2 or 3 Saturday then I feel pressure will see Stam leave unfortunately

Injured I believe

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 28 Sep 2017 16:38

RG7Fan
Berry Stay.....Only to see if Kerm will make the difference, remember Brighton have also fuked up over no striker and if they had bought then Hemed more than likely would of been ours.....If Oliveria hits 2 or 3 Saturday then I feel pressure will see Stam leave unfortunately

Injured I believe

Was on the bench Tuesday

Steve_Upper_West

by Steve_Upper_West » 28 Sep 2017 16:58

I find myself sat on the fence...

I listen to the same old 'Double Dutch Physcobabble' in the post match interviews and think - didn't he say that last week? I am totally bored by this style of play (and NO for me, its not all about results), but would a 'new broom sweep clean' AND how long might it take? I am leaning towards giving him just a 'little' longer, providing I can get someone in Upper West to wake me up at the end of the game... :|

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 28 Sep 2017 18:31

blythspartan On the other hand, I believe that Alan Pardew (if we could forgive and forget) would be able to get better results from this current squad, which for me with the addition of a quality striker or 2 would be the best that we have ever had.

Remember the era of 5 at the back. With one upfront.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 28 Sep 2017 18:36

I voted out.

Now clearly the idea of the chap being sacked anytime soon after last season is ridiculous and I'm talking if we have similar results half way through the season.

But the facts are:

- last season we were lucky, punched way above our weight, were toothless, negative, boring and couldn't score in a brothel. Our goal difference suggests we didn't deserve to be where we were (for those who believe the table doesn't lie) and we couldn't score against a poor Huddersfield side in 120minutes of football. Had we gone up we'd have been gangraped.

- this season our single plan has been found out very easily. All teams have to do is press a little and we're in trouble. It's really little surprise we've been so bad. We saw it coming. These are the results we should've been getting last season.

- there is no excuse WHATSOEVER for not bringing in two or three decent strikers. Might not be fully down to him and perhaps it's Tevreden to blame too, but surely a manager has some say here. We knew last season that we needed more firepower. It didn't happen. We had the whole of the summer. It didn't happen. Yet we had enough money and enough scouting prowess as time after time after time we either bought or were linked with more. f**king. midfielders. ALL we needed to do was replace AlHabsi, replace WIlliams (possibly - we had more than enough competition already so didn't quite need to) and buy two or three (or perhaps ONE???) decent striker. Instead we replaced AH, completely ignored the most glaring issue of a lack of firepower and then went bizarrely apeshit buying millions of unnecessary midfielders to the point that we're asking the likes of Quinn to piss off. This is utterly unforgiveable. And before anyone says there weren't any - bollox. Kitson, Doyle, Long were all found. There are many leagues and many good strikers in them and we could have got at least 2 or 3 and one or two would have turned out decent. And worst case scenario there are always loans. Yes we did try with some, but the reason at the end of the day we brought in a busload of midfielders and no decent dedicated strikers is because our priorities were wrong.

The truth is whilst I don't necessarily want him to go I'm so pissed off at the striker issue this is partly a protest vote.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Sep 2017 19:05

We weren't lucky over the course of the season and we scored in most games

We were just as good as Hudders and they aren't being gangraped

We did sign a striker, who has scored twice so far. We also tried to sign others but they either wouldn't be allowed to leave their current clubs or were deemed not worth buying when we had Bod and Yann

Do agree we bought midfielders and wingers which weren't esp necessary though. But Barrow and Bacuna look like very good signings and the others should still come good. Jury out a bit on Aluko and Edwards for me, other signings were good

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 28 Sep 2017 19:19

windermereROYAL
RG7Fan

Injured I believe

Was on the bench Tuesday

Bugger

In from me, although if we are this lowly at Xmas I can see the panic button being pressed

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 28 Sep 2017 19:29

This all seems to have been driven by the useless local media (Dellor/Low)

4 games without a win and several key players out

Crisis? Really?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Sep 2017 19:34

Mid Sussex Royal This all seems to have been driven by the useless local media (Dellor/Low)

4 games without a win and several key players out

Crisis? Really?

More Dellor than Low to be fair

Agree though, we've had a crap start and played poorly in our last two games especially. But it's hardly crisis time

Jaap's made some major cock ups recently but plenty of time to get it right

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 29 Sep 2017 10:48

In. What Stam is building here is exciting, imagine when everything has clicked how good the football be to watch. I know it is slow and tedious atm but seriously not at critical point of sacking a manager. The players we have got in I believe Stam being the manager was a big factor.
The brand of football is not ground breaking, coming short for passes, playing out from the back, wanting the pass is basic football in my eyes. With no CF running the line, which is fundamental to front 3 system as it occupies the 2 CBs to create the space for our wingers to run into. Untill Bod starts (not entirely sure why he hasn't been given the minutes) or Kermie is back you will see more purpose and the system will work.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 29 Sep 2017 12:52

Pards sounds like too much of a feasible proposition. However, these days, quite a few clubs seem to appoint some random foreigner that nobody's ever heard of. Subsequently leading to mass googling. And given our hierarchical structure at the mo', I wouldn't discount that option either.

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 29 Sep 2017 13:58

I want him to turn it round BUT if we lose tomorrow I think he will be sacked.

Rationale being -

- Owners have invested a lot of money
- Genuine ambition to get into the Premier League this season
- Crowds are down
- Football is dull and uninspiring
- Feel good factor from last season is gone
- Gourlay isn't daft, he saw what we all saw at Millwall, Brentford etc - isn't good enough
- Run of games after Saturday is hideous

Saying all that, win Saturday and all will be rosey again...

Genuinely would take Pardew back if Stam went - three things we are lacking at the moment - TENACITY / SPIRIT & FLAIR!

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 29 Sep 2017 14:17

2 world wars, 1 world cup
- last season we were lucky, couldn't score in a brothel. Our goal difference suggests we didn't deserve to be where we were (for those who believe the table doesn't lie).

Stopped reading here. In case you didn't realise we scored 68 goals last year, 8 more than Sheffield Wednesday, 12 more than Huddersfield and 7 more than Leeds. Only 5 teams out of 23 others in the league scored more than us. (Newcastle, Brighton, Fulham, Norwich and Brentford). But you are right we didn't deserve to be there, nor could we score in a brothel. :| :| :| :| :| :| :|

504 posts