Relegation

1865 posts
windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Relegation

by windermereROYAL » 01 Aug 2021 14:22

Melvin-Lambert is out on loan snowy. and just 2 AMs?

Torbay Royal

by Torbay Royal » 01 Aug 2021 14:47

Fans on the Stoke fans forum “the oatcake” share a similar sense of pending doom.

16 players out, 3 in.

We’re not alone in feeling under prepared so judge the team after the first ten games.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Aug 2021 15:09

It's almost as if, at least half the clubs in this division are strapped for cash.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 01 Aug 2021 15:33

Stranded It's almost as if, at least half the clubs in this division are strapped for cash.

Hardly surprising really when we`ve just spent a season and a quarter playing in empty stadiums. i would say more than half.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Aug 2021 16:09

windermereROYAL Melvin-Lambert is out on loan snowy. and just 2 AMs?

Thought he played in a friendly recently. Will edit.

If you have any other names for thr AMS I'm missing, happy to update.

Might even reformat to highlight injuries and those in multiple positions.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Aug 2021 16:33

Stranded It's almost as if, at least half the clubs in this division are strapped for cash.

They are. And there’s a fair amount of toss in there as well - Cov, Peterborough, Derby, Luton, Hudders, Brizzle etc. Sadly no Rotherham to take one of the bottom 3 spots by default

We’ll be mid table I reckon

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 01 Aug 2021 16:37

No, no… you’re forgetting the expert opinions of a few betwetters on Twitter saying that we’re nailed on to be relegated so we might as well not bother turning up…

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 01 Aug 2021 21:39

Kind of ironically, neither us nor Stoke are 'strapped for cash', we're just not allowed to spend it (rightly imo).

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 02 Aug 2021 18:46

Elm Park Kid

Kind of ironically, neither us nor Stoke are 'strapped for cash', we're just not allowed to spend it (rightly imo).

Stoke just bid £5.5m for Sam Surridge, so obvs not quite as fcuked as us.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 02 Aug 2021 20:27

Elm Park Kid

The rules are hardly new. Our owner took a massive punt and failed. Now we are paying the consequences.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Aug 2021 21:51

Pepe the Horseman
Elm Park Kid

No but that is a massive waste of money.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 02 Aug 2021 22:58

Stranded
Pepe the Horseman
Elm Park Kid

We've spent millions over the past 5/6 years and have little to show for it.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Aug 2021 08:22

Lower West
Stranded
Pepe the Horseman Stoke just bid £5.5m for Sam Surridge, so obvs not quite as fcuked as us.

Yes I know but I don't think he is worth 5.5m - his record in the Champ is 1 in 3 (by minutes played) which is OK but not a fan.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 03 Aug 2021 12:16

Stranded
Lower West
Stranded

Yes I know but I don't think he is worth 5.5m - his record in the Champ is 1 in 3 (by minutes played) which is OK but not a fan.

5.5 MILLION compared to Aluko...... it is a bargain

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 03 Aug 2021 12:44

As much as our owners have invested, I do feel we are experiencing the long term consequences of their want to just spend lots of money and we have no idea who they even are. I hope when our FFP issues are behind us the EFL do more to monitor championship clubs finances in the future, but they won’t because they only like kicking teams when they’re down rather than helping them before the situation worsens. They should’ve done more to help us avoid this situation by closing down these asset selling loopholes after one team did it and given us transfer clarity far earlier than they did.

Many teams in the championship are struggling badly due to covid, but I’m not sure how many of them are struggling to the extent they have to rely on academy lads for depth after a number of players left an already thin squad this summer.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 03 Aug 2021 13:17

Pepe the Horseman
Elm Park Kid

Bournemouth fans are in disbelief over this, they don't reckon he is worth over a £1m.....

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 03 Aug 2021 13:26

Simmops
Stranded
Lower West

5.5 MILLION compared to Aluko...... it is a bargain

Puscas?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 03 Aug 2021 13:28

TiagoIlori As much as our owners have invested, I do feel we are experiencing the long term consequences of their want to just spend lots of money and we have no idea who they even are. I hope when our FFP issues are behind us the EFL do more to monitor championship clubs finances in the future, but they won’t because they only like kicking teams when they’re down rather than helping them before the situation worsens. They should’ve done more to help us avoid this situation by closing down these asset selling loopholes after one team did it and given us transfer clarity far earlier than they did.

Many teams in the championship are struggling badly due to covid, but I’m not sure how many of them are struggling to the extent they have to rely on academy lads for depth after a number of players left an already thin squad this summer.

There's no need for sympathy. If we had been promoted then would all be smiles and this conversation won't even be happening. Brentford found a way. A better model.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 03 Aug 2021 14:45

Lower West
TiagoIlori As much as our owners have invested, I do feel we are experiencing the long term consequences of their want to just spend lots of money and we have no idea who they even are. I hope when our FFP issues are behind us the EFL do more to monitor championship clubs finances in the future, but they won’t because they only like kicking teams when they’re down rather than helping them before the situation worsens. They should’ve done more to help us avoid this situation by closing down these asset selling loopholes after one team did it and given us transfer clarity far earlier than they did.

There's no need for sympathy. If we had been promoted then would all be smiles and this conversation won't even be happening. Brentford found a way. A better model.

Our problems are self inflicted, but it’s more the EFL haven’t really helped us. As the main protection that limits the power of the owners to protect the long term wellbeing of the club, they don’t seem to have done that. Why did they let us spend 15m on two strikers in one summer when we played 4-2-3-1 and had a soft transfer embargo? There’s next to no transparency or accountability.

I too hope we follow the routes of Brentford and even QPR in developing players that either become assets or we sell for huge amounts. It pains me to think we used to be like that as well.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Aug 2021 17:23

TiagoIlori
Lower West

Our problems are self inflicted, but it’s more the EFL haven’t really helped us. As the main protection that limits the power of the owners to protect the long term wellbeing of the club, they don’t seem to have done that. Why did they let us spend 15m on two strikers in one summer when we played 4-2-3-1 and had a soft transfer embargo? There’s next to no transparency or accountability.

I too hope we follow the routes of Brentford and even QPR in developing players that either become assets or we sell for huge amounts. It pains me to think we used to be like that as well.

Why should the EFL help us? They told us the rules, we didn't follow them.

We should take some responsibility for our actions not demand someone should have babysat us harder.

The fans have constantly been calling for more spending and ambition. They'd have been outraged at interference from the FL before we'd broken any rules.

1865 posts