Relegation

1865 posts
double d

Relegation

by double d » 21 Oct 2017 15:49

I know it is early in the season but we look like we are in for a relegation dog fight at this r8. Something needs to change sharpish. I hope stam does get sacked because when that happens it tends to improve results. But if we were to get relegated, what would happen to us? Would we have mass exodus? Who would stay? What about the owners? Would you still go to games? Couldn't imagine many turning up for a Tuesday night at Scunthorpe tbh. How depressing that this is happening after we were a liam Moore penalty away from being in the premier league. Huddersfield are beating man United ffs and we are going down to league 1!!!!! :evil:

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Relegation

by andrew1957 » 21 Oct 2017 17:09

double d I know it is early in the season but we look like we are in for a relegation dog fight at this r8. Something needs to change sharpish. I hope stam does get sacked because when that happens it tends to improve results. But if we were to get relegated, what would happen to us? Would we have mass exodus? Who would stay? What about the owners? Would you still go to games? Couldn't imagine many turning up for a Tuesday night at Scunthorpe tbh. How depressing that this is happening after we were a liam Moore penalty away from being in the premier league. Huddersfield are beating man United ffs and we are going down to league 1!!!!! :evil:

Don't worry I cannot see it happening.

Stam will be gone if we end up in the bottom three and we definitely have players capable of getting their act together and ending up in the top half.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 21 Oct 2017 17:17

I'd argue that we are too good to go down if we had a few decent fit forwards. But we don't and if you don't score goals then you can't win games. If you can't win enough games then you'll be relegated.

We've been poor but we've hardly been battered in games and in most of them we've lost by odd goal.

I think we will rally and finish about 18th

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Oct 2017 17:30

Bottled the play off final with ultra safe tactics. Still didnt get the striker needed in the summer despite a good eighteen months looking for one. Persisting with clueless systems that dont work. Never ending catalogue of injuries of which many seem to be inflicted during training. Now pinning hopes on the return of a 36 year old who has had no pre season and is retiring in May next year :lol:

Shouldn’t go down but if an attitude of thinking you’re too good to do so is about to permeate everyone that could well mean trouble.

Overall Stam will be gone if Reading are in the bottom 3 by xmas.

Think there will be real howls for Stam to go if Reading lose v Middlesbrough next week, even more so if the performance also turns out to be as ****** awful as the last couple of home games.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 21 Oct 2017 17:32

Only a simplet9n would think this side will dabble with relegation and Stam should be sacked before he’s had a chance to put out his favoured XI even once.

Checks OP

Oh.....

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Oct 2017 17:43

Silver Fox Only a simplet9n would think this side will dabble with relegation and Stam should be sacked before he’s had a chance to put out his favoured XI even once.

Checks OP

Oh.....

Yeah indeed

Not sure that you can blame Stam for not getting the striker in Sutekh. It’s not him negotiating with Brighton for Hemed or Norwich or Preston is it now?

And Dadi is a striker. Just one who can’t seem to stay fit ah the moment frustratingly

Henley Royal 1

by Henley Royal 1 » 21 Oct 2017 18:31

Although i am not in the sack Stam brigade and we dont hear anything from the owners which is a good thing i can not help thinking a bad result and performance against Middlesbrough will leave him very much on the brink

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 21 Oct 2017 18:33

Clutching at straws - we have won 3 and lost 6 yet our GD is "only" -3. So "on average" we only lose games by the odd goal.

Sadly Stam's insistence on not buying any strikers means we rarely score more than 1 goal a game "on average".

The Dutch "total football" genre has been totally discredited, (van Gaal, Koeman, Stam, De Boer, Holland not qualifying for major tournament etc), so the time has come for this experiment to end at RFC.

The squad assembled, (at vast cost - today's starting XI was the most expensive ever put out by RFC), should be more than skilled enough to challenge a top 6 place, and in no way should be facing relegation. Sadly the tactics and arrogance of the manager means that we are. The table doesn't lie, ever after 12 games.

This summer's transfer activity was simply stupid and unbalanced. How many midfielders does one team need? The training regime, (or support staff), needs a radical overhaul as the amount of injuries picked up in training is frankly embarrassing. The Chinese are renown for their patience, but equally they are not stupid when it comes to money*. I cannot see the owners putting up with this situation for much longer. The do NOT like to lose face one little bit, and I would imagine that once Stam has lost the fans, and the fans start having a go at the owners, then action will be taken. The Chinese are nothing if not ruthless.

All this squad needs is a decent man manager who has the experience to adapt tactics to suit the players' skills. Stam is NOT that man.

That's my opinion. No histrionics, no effing and blinding, just a sober take on the current sad situation at the MadHouse. Off for beer now - and logging out before I do so! Have a good w/e all - if you can!

*mmm, maybe I'm wrong there - the current Chines debt to GDP is something like 300% isn't it? Maybe the owners are happy to just
saddle the club with un-repayable debt burden?

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 21 Oct 2017 19:01

Everyone believes they are too good to go down. Look at the teams around us, Birmingham and Sunderland will both be ruthless to try and stay in this division.

Id give Stam till December, at which point I'd hope our owners can be ruthless too.

siforest65

by siforest65 » 21 Oct 2017 22:06

No way will Reading get relegated this season.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 21 Oct 2017 22:23

siforest65 No way will Reading get relegated this season.

Jinxed it for us now!

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 21 Oct 2017 22:28

After 12 games that gives you a good idea of where you will finish at the end of the season. 12 points from 12 games we are averaging 3 shots on target per game. That is relegation form.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 21 Oct 2017 23:08

Silver Fox Only a simplet9n would think this side will dabble with relegation and Stam should be sacked before he’s had a chance to put out his favoured XI even once.

Checks OP

Oh.....

Agreed on the relegation thing but it’s a manager’s job to find results without the luxury of his first choice XI. It’s part of the job and shouldn’t be an excuse.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 22 Oct 2017 02:24

genome

Checks OP

Oh.....

Agreed on the relegation thing but it’s a manager’s job to find results without the luxury of his first choice XI. It’s part of the job and shouldn’t be an excuse.

Sorry boys. You're utterly deluded. We're completely shit.

I think we're going down. And it's about time someone realised this

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Oct 2017 08:55

Nah we’re not that bad. Held our own fairly well against every team we’ve played, just made poor mistakes and not utilised the good players we have effectively going forward

If come Dec we are still bottom 5 I think the club will make a change with the boss. I’d expect the squad to make mid table pretty
Comfortably

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 22 Oct 2017 09:03

Based on our present form we could easily get relegated
Based on over confidence of not going down could get us relegated
Based on not being able to attract a decent Striker now we are at the bottom could get us relegated
Based on not changing tactics could get us relegated
Based on Kermo not performing when he comes back could get us relegated

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Oct 2017 09:27

Player by player we have great quality

Obviously we need a striker firing on all cylinders but right now I would want 20-1 to bet on us going down.

We will probably get the Preston guy in in January and hopefully will have him, Kermie, Dadi, Mendes at the very least.

I think we will be low mid-table at worst at the end of the year and will slowly improve Jan-Feb etc and finish probably 8/9/10

If, IF we lose the next couple then I suspect Stan would go. The new manager, any half-decent manager will get these players up to mid table

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 22 Oct 2017 09:30

Hound Nah we’re not that bad. Held our own fairly well against every team we’ve played, just made poor mistakes and not utilised the good players we have effectively going forward

If come Dec we are still bottom 5 I think the club will make a change with the boss. I’d expect the squad to make mid table pretty
Comfortably

Several teams have gone down recently who were like that ... Wolves spring to mind not that long ago.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Oct 2017 09:58

Oh it’s possible. Just don’t think it’s likely

As for that ‘Preston guy’ suspect that ship has sailed. Too good for us now, should have gone in for him early summer instead of Oliveira in retrospect

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 22 Oct 2017 10:01

Difficult to see any decent strikers would come here if we are in the bottom 6. on loan maybe, but no long term deal.

1865 posts