Relegation

1865 posts
Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Relegation

by Royal_jimmy » 06 Apr 2022 08:05

Next season could be just as tricky with the players we have out of contract and the financial restrictions we have in place

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Apr 2022 08:11

Royal_jimmy Next season could be just as tricky with the players we have out of contract and the financial restrictions we have in place

Let's worry about next season when we see a) what side we can out out on July 30th and b) who is managing the side.

Next season is another one where staying up should be the only goal (assuming we don't screw this up now) but there are likely to be a number of side who struggle to recruit due to finances or get hit with point deductions - so it may be a very different outlook.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 06 Apr 2022 08:12

Royal_jimmy Next season could be just as tricky with the players we have out of contract and the financial restrictions we have in place

If we got relegated we'd lose all those out of contract players and have much tougher financial issues.
Staying up could mean a lot of the out of contract players take the deals on the table. If we recruit sensibly, and we have seen you can get good players for not much money, or even for nothing, we should do ok. This season has shown the difference between the bottom of the table and even upper mid table to very small and is more about organisation than ability. A season with just a normal amount of injuries would also look a lot different....

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 06 Apr 2022 09:30

Nameless

If we got relegated we'd lose all those out of contract players and have much tougher financial issues.
Staying up could mean a lot of the out of contract players take the deals on the table. If we recruit sensibly, and we have seen you can get good players for not much money, or even for nothing, we should do ok. This season has shown the difference between the bottom of the table and even upper mid table to very small and is more about organisation than ability. A season with just a normal amount of injuries would also look a lot different....

Well as you can see now, a consistent team selection and having players available every week is making the difference to the quality we have on the pitch at any one time and not having to rely on youngsters who maybe aren't quite ready yet is making an impact on our performances and results.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 07 Apr 2022 19:28

For some context, the last time we were in serious trouble at the bottom (2019 under Gomes) I went to a game at Hull practically to the day and we lost 1-3. Lewis Baker scored a 25 yarder but then Jarred Bowen destroyed us.

Anyway - sides below us all won and we were just 3 points clear....why am I still worried?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 10 Apr 2022 11:54

I`m looking at the next two games and it`s entirely plausible that we may get zero points then it comes down to Hull with their awful home record, an out of form west brom side and play-off chasing Luton who may need to win to secure that position.
But I maintain 3 points whichever way we get them will be enough. if we cant do that from 5 games we deserve everything we have coming.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Apr 2022 13:51

windermereROYAL I`m looking at the next two games and it`s entirely plausible that we may get zero points then it comes down to Hull with their awful home record, an out of form west brom side and play-off chasing Luton who may need to win to secure that position.
But I maintain 3 points whichever way we get them will be enough. if we cant do that from 5 games we deserve everything we have coming.

Just as much chance of Derby getting 0 as well over Easter. Barnsley v Peterborough means someone from the bottom 4 will get points but can easily see that being the only points next weekend.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 10 Apr 2022 20:45

Stranded
windermereROYAL I`m looking at the next two games and it`s entirely plausible that we may get zero points then it comes down to Hull with their awful home record, an out of form west brom side and play-off chasing Luton who may need to win to secure that position.

Just as much chance of Derby getting 0 as well over Easter. Barnsley v Peterborough means someone from the bottom 4 will get points but can easily see that being the only points next weekend.

I don't mind us not getting points providing the others below us don't, this weekend certainly wasn't the worst we've had this season, but it's frustrating as it should have been much better. We need to get this finished off as quickly as possible now.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 10 Apr 2022 20:47

Well yes…praise be…wow….of course…who knew?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 10 Apr 2022 21:05

Stranded

Would prefer a Posh win particularly as their goal difference is worth a point to us.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Apr 2022 09:29

YorkshireRoyal99
Stranded

I don't mind us not getting points providing the others below us don't, this weekend certainly wasn't the worst we've had this season, but it's frustrating as it should have been much better. We need to get this finished off as quickly as possible now.

At this stage, every game the others don't win, is worth at least 2 points to us.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Apr 2022 09:37

Stranded
YorkshireRoyal99
Stranded

At this stage, every game the others don't win, is worth at least 2 points to us.

That is our saving grace, but the longer it goes on and the more those below us know what they need, the harder it could be for us.

However, our record under Ince is 3-2-3 (correct me if I'm wrong as I may have missed a game) and I can see picking up 5 points from our remaining 5 fixtures. I think 4 points for us will be enough. It all comes down to what the others do though as well.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Apr 2022 08:01

I'll just put this article here as seems like the best place for it.

https://businessmag.co.uk/companies/two ... elegation/

Doesn't say anything particularly new. We are in a tough spot as a club but relegation would likely have been disasterous.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Apr 2022 08:12

Stranded I'll just put this article here as seems like the best place for it.

Doesn't say anything particularly new. We are in a tough spot as a club but relegation would likely have been disasterous.

Thanks for posting but Tbf most of us on here could have written that article. Plus it talks of wages being 30m+ this season when we know they aren’t

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 28 Apr 2022 12:30

Hound

Thanks for posting but Tbf most of us on here could have written that article. Plus it talks of wages being 30m+ this season when we know they aren’t

OK, stopped at the ‘five points deducted’ sentence.
Clearly, whoever they are, they haven’t bothered with research and therefore the opinions are completely irrelevant

We’ve all, on here, said that financially relegation would have been as absolute disaster, so you don’t need to be an expert to see that

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Apr 2022 12:49

Franchise FC
Hound

OK, stopped at the ‘five points deducted’ sentence.
Clearly, whoever they are, they haven’t bothered with research and therefore the opinions are completely irrelevant

We’ve all, on here, said that financially relegation would have been as absolute disaster, so you don’t need to be an expert to see that

It would have been an effective way of wiping the financial slate clean though.

We'd have almost certainly found takers for Moore, Meite, Joao and Ejaria, the last of the higher earners, and be down to the Academy and about 6 other players on less than 10k each.

We'd have to sign almost an entire squad, but I'd argue we'd be fairly attractive in L1 and because so many players would have left, we'd be building from below the wage limit up, not trying to keep it low.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Apr 2022 12:54

Not sure we’d have found a taker for Moore - and dunno what the wage bill limit for d1 would have been but presumably considerably less than 16m

And Moore taking up a near 2m chunk of that

As long As we are sensible this year I don’t think we should necessarily fear the financial implications of relegation next season though

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 28 Apr 2022 16:51

I wonder if we can wangle a deal where we sell/release Moore by paying up half his contract assuming someone will come in and offer him 15-20k

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Apr 2022 17:58

Hound Not sure we’d have found a taker for Moore - and dunno what the wage bill limit for d1 would have been but presumably considerably less than 16m

As long As we are sensible this year I don’t think we should necessarily fear the financial implications of relegation next season though

I think Moore's easier to shift on the basis there's even more incentive to him leaving to avoid being a L1 player... ie making more Championship clubs and lower wage offers attractive to him over rotting in the reserves.

It's purely speculative though for sure.

I'm working on a rough guesstimate the FL would set us at about £12m budget in L1... if it would be more like £8m, yeah, it would be pretty bad. But I'm not sure how they could justify reducing it so much given pay commitments.

I'm so sick of our financial mismanagement a bit of apocalyptic reset isn’t unattractive to me.

Assuming we actually learn our lesson and start running ourselves properly, getting over next season's hump could lead to some sunny uplands.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 28 Apr 2022 18:23

Snowflake Royal
Hound Not sure we’d have found a taker for Moore - and dunno what the wage bill limit for d1 would have been but presumably considerably less than 16m

I think Moore's easier to shift on the basis there's even more incentive to him leaving to avoid being a L1 player... ie making more Championship clubs and lower wage offers attractive to him over rotting in the reserves.

It's purely speculative though for sure.

I'm working on a rough guesstimate the FL would set us at about £12m budget in L1... if it would be more like £8m, yeah, it would be pretty bad. But I'm not sure how they could justify reducing it so much given pay commitments.

I'm so sick of our financial mismanagement a bit of apocalyptic reset isn’t unattractive to me.

Assuming we actually learn our lesson and start running ourselves properly, getting over next season's hump could lead to some sunny uplands.

You are Boris Johnson AICMFP

1865 posts