Relegation

1865 posts
Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Relegation

by Ascotexgunner » 24 Nov 2021 13:24

Just wish we would go at teams from the first minute. Good old fashioned 442 Carroll and Puscas up top. Can't remember when we have started a game like that. I know Carroll won't last 90 minutes but when he is on the pitch the opposition do seem to hold back and put an extra man at the back. I'd rather do that than wait until we are losing.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Nov 2021 13:25

windermereROYAL I don`t want to go all the way back but the home form since the play-off season does indeed make grim reading, 4 seasons and 10 games.

P102 W36 D24 L42 . on average we are losing 10 games a season and winning 8, that's just not sustainable and you can see it in the attendance figures.
Fans want to see their team win and bounce out of the ground with a smile on their faces, we see precious little of that now.

Yep we've been shite for ages.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Nov 2021 13:36

Millsy
windermereROYAL I don`t want to go all the way back but the home form since the play-off season does indeed make grim reading, 4 seasons and 10 games.

P102 W36 D24 L42 . on average we are losing 10 games a season and winning 8, that's just not sustainable and you can see it in the attendance figures.
Fans want to see their team win and bounce out of the ground with a smile on their faces, we see precious little of that now.

Yep we've been shite for ages.

And it’s worse when you see many of those wins were last season meaning the other seasons have largely been worse than the average.

Not sure about this season as yet but it’s not going to be too good by the look of things so far.

Reading have struggled really since adopting this wholly awful possession based boredom. Really need a management team who have flexibility to change shape and tactics when things aren’t going too well and who can implement a more direct type of possession game. This is not the current management.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Nov 2021 14:14

Millsy It's this sort of cherry-picking small numbers of games that causes understandable anxiety and I do hear the arguments. I'm no Pauno-defender as last season we were debating the other way.

It also works the other way when we win a couple on the bounce and we think we're world beaters and Pauno is God.

A more sensible and sane approach is obviously to look at the wider picture, which is always worth more statistically and common sensically. The undeniable fact is that our form THIS SEASON THUS FAR has been comfortably midtable. Smoothing out all the ups, all the downs, the period without his chosen players, the period with all players fit and hitting form, and the longer period of utter desperation with injuries and playing people out of position and noone on the bench. All in all, warts and all, all that shit has given us a form of comfortable mid-table.

Yes with the deduction things look a bit scary but we are still that "comfortable mid-table" team and nothing has got worse. If anything it can only look better with players returning from injury slowly and with Carroll with us for the time being.

Whatever criticisms we throw at Pauno have been the case for months - I've been shovelling these criticisms at him non-stop since last season and called for him to be sacked until very recently. I don't see anything that has suddenly made him even shitter as a manager. If anything he's given me a fair bit of hope and seems to have learned a couple of things, playing 442 to chase games for example, bringing in a striker etc.

I see absolutely no reason to panic now any more than we should have done mid-last season where I seemed to be I think one of the only three here who were.

Currently not in a relagation spot, but a team playing generally midtable form. That = not ending up in a relegation spot at the end fo the season.

Take a look at our form since Xmas, almost a year. It's not cherry picking small numbers unless it's claiming performance is ok based on a run of 5 wins in 6 games.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 24 Nov 2021 14:16

Or maybe it's more a case of having longer term stability in the management and team so that they can build relationships and know each other well enough to adapt to more flexible systems?

I had a look at the same midweek fixture last season and we started with only 3 from yesterday's team. Obviously that happens in football and you have to adapt, but given everything going on at the club I don't find it too surprising that we aren't getting points against clubs like Bournemouth and Sheffield Utd. Surely it gets to a point where you're just glad that you're not in complete freefall and hope that Pauno can turn it around in the second half of the season. Because people are staying exactly the same stuff about the manager as they have done about every manager since Coppell. . . .

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Nov 2021 15:02

Snowflake Royal
Millsy It's this sort of cherry-picking small numbers of games that causes understandable anxiety and I do hear the arguments. I'm no Pauno-defender as last season we were debating the other way.

It also works the other way when we win a couple on the bounce and we think we're world beaters and Pauno is God.

A more sensible and sane approach is obviously to look at the wider picture, which is always worth more statistically and common sensically. The undeniable fact is that our form THIS SEASON THUS FAR has been comfortably midtable. Smoothing out all the ups, all the downs, the period without his chosen players, the period with all players fit and hitting form, and the longer period of utter desperation with injuries and playing people out of position and noone on the bench. All in all, warts and all, all that shit has given us a form of comfortable mid-table.

Yes with the deduction things look a bit scary but we are still that "comfortable mid-table" team and nothing has got worse. If anything it can only look better with players returning from injury slowly and with Carroll with us for the time being.

Whatever criticisms we throw at Pauno have been the case for months - I've been shovelling these criticisms at him non-stop since last season and called for him to be sacked until very recently. I don't see anything that has suddenly made him even shitter as a manager. If anything he's given me a fair bit of hope and seems to have learned a couple of things, playing 442 to chase games for example, bringing in a striker etc.

I see absolutely no reason to panic now any more than we should have done mid-last season where I seemed to be I think one of the only three here who were.

Currently not in a relagation spot, but a team playing generally midtable form. That = not ending up in a relegation spot at the end fo the season.

Take a look at our form since Xmas, almost a year. It's not cherry picking small numbers unless it's claiming performance is ok based on a run of 5 wins in 6 games.

When we talk about Xmas to Xmas of course we're not and that's fine and wouldn't provoke my response.

But I was responding to this:

Snowflake Royal What about 4 points from 7 games?

Our form, for two runs of a decent amount, has been sub relegation form.

This is what I was getting at.

This is a discussion about our chances of relegation this season.

If we want to bring in last season then that's a whole different discussion, where I remind you that our clashes here were repeatedly me saying the form was dreadful since the beginning lucky few so he should go, but you and almost everyone here defended him based on the first 7 games. That's fine, but that's in the past.

Right now, this season, with the current situation, the current players, the current league, the current oppostion i.e. what ACTUALLY matters right now, we have to look at the whole season thus far and currently it shows comfortable midtable form. Cherry picking "4 points from 7 games" is not useful... and arbitrarily choosing to cherry pick the poor end of last season (when last season you were choosing the first few games instead to back your pro-Pauno stance) to append to this season is a bit unfair but yes, acceptable. More games, more data. Fine. It's even more fine then on that basis to extend it to the beginning of last season too so our form is then not just "comfortably midtable" as it is currently but is "outside playoffs/upper mid".

See, we can cherry pick parts of this or last season all day long to back up whatever view we happen to hold but the facts are with current squad, current league competition, current everything, which is by far the most relevant data set our form is fine. Fine form and not even in the relegation zone. So I don't see us having any fears of relegation.

If the concern is we will get WORSE as this season progresses just as we did last season and we're projecting last year's dip onto this year then ok yes I can see that argument. I just think it's a bit of a stretch to think like that. I think he first games were a perfect storm of luck. He's been generally shite since then but has become less shite and this season against all the odds with injuries etc has served up generally fairly consistent comfortable mid-table form that I don't think is going to drop much.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 24 Nov 2021 15:19

Under Stam we once went a whole calendar year with just 7 league wins, so the situation we find ourselves in now is hardly unique.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Nov 2021 15:26

Sutekh Reading have struggled really since adopting this wholly awful possession based boredom. .

we play a totally different game under Pauno than we did under Stam or Bowen.

Nearly every team plays some sort of possession football nowadays - we are certainly more direct than say Sheff Utd were last night. The game has changed - very few play the direct style you seem to wish for (which is also pretty dull imo)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Nov 2021 17:41

Millsy
Snowflake Royal

When we talk about Xmas to Xmas of course we're not and that's fine and wouldn't provoke my response.

If we want to bring in last season then that's a whole different discussion, where I remind you that our clashes here were repeatedly me saying the form was dreadful since the beginning lucky few so he should go, but you and almost everyone here defended him based on the first 7 games. That's fine, but that's in the past.

Right now, this season, with the current situation, the current players, the current league, the current oppostion i.e. what ACTUALLY matters right now, we have to look at the whole season thus far and currently it shows comfortable midtable form. Cherry picking "4 points from 7 games" is not useful... and arbitrarily choosing to cherry pick the poor end of last season (when last season you were choosing the first few games instead to back your pro-Pauno stance) to append to this season is a bit unfair but yes, acceptable. More games, more data. Fine. It's even more fine then on that basis to extend it to the beginning of last season too so our form is then not just "comfortably midtable" as it is currently but is "outside playoffs/upper mid".

See, we can cherry pick parts of this or last season all day long to back up whatever view we happen to hold but the facts are with current squad, current league competition, current everything, which is by far the most relevant data set our form is fine. Fine form and not even in the relegation zone. So I don't see us having any fears of relegation.

If the concern is we will get WORSE as this season progresses just as we did last season and we're projecting last year's dip onto this year then ok yes I can see that argument. I just think it's a bit of a stretch to think like that. I think he first games were a perfect storm of luck. He's been generally shite since then but has become less shite and this season against all the odds with injuries etc has served up generally fairly consistent comfortable mid-table form that I don't think is going to drop much.

Even then the good form is still the cherry picking. 5 wins in 6 vs 2 wins and 2 draws 13. Either side.

Apart from the occasional aberrant purple patch we're a side looking like relegation fodder.

What that tells us is we have potential and quality, but its being consistently misused and misapplied.

Our form doesn’t lie. It dogshite. And everything you try to argue otherwise is massive straw clutching and cherry picking.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Nov 2021 17:58

Snowflake Royal
Millsy
Snowflake Royal Take a look at our form since Xmas, almost a year. It's not cherry picking small numbers unless it's claiming performance is ok based on a run of 5 wins in 6 games.

Even then the good form is still the cherry picking. 5 wins in 6 vs 2 wins and 2 draws 13. Either side.

Apart from the occasional aberrant purple patch we're a side looking like relegation fodder.

What that tells us is we have potential and quality, but its being consistently misused and misapplied.

Our form doesn’t lie. It dogshite. And everything you try to argue otherwise is massive straw clutching and cherry picking.

To reiterate...

I'm looking at the ENTIRE SEASON SO FAR. How the hell is that cherry picking?

The stats of the ENTIRE SEASON SO FAR are that we are sat comfortably mid-table.

It's the most relevant time patch as it's THIS season, with THESE players, in THIS set of teams in THIS league that we are talking about. The only other thing we could legitimately do (but FAR FAR less relevant) is bring in the WHOLE of last season. Part of this season, or part of last season and all of this, is just... urgh... I won't regurgitate what I wrote above.

Whether we are relegation fodder with the occasional aberrant purple patch, or a playoff-worthy team hit with misfortune/ridiculous injuries of course we don't know which is why I'm looking at the whole season thus far, warts and all. You're right, who knows which bit is aberrant? Is any bit aberrant at all or is it just different phases of what we can/can't will/won't continue to do? Don't know.

Remember whom you're talking to btw and last season's discussions - I'd LOVE to be proven right that Pauno is shit and will take us down, that the form of last season bar the first few games was our true form and that our first few were the "aberrant purple patch", something you and most of HNA didn't agree with. I'd love to gloat. So I have every reason to cherry pick, which is why I'm refusing to and can't say fairer than let's look at what these guys have done over the course of this season so far.

Remember just because I happen to think we won't be relegated doesn't necessarily mean I am pro-Pauno because arguably we shoudl be doing better especially if what you're saying is true about misused and misapplied. I'm definitely open to that. I'm just saying that "warts and all" "misused and misapplied" or not, however good or bad Pauno is.. I don't understand how we can look at the whole of this season which sees us comfortably midtable ON FORM and extrapolate that from a SAFE current position we're going to go on and get relegated.

Will be interested to bring this thread up come the end of the season to see which of us was right. We both hope it's me I'm sure!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Nov 2021 18:03

Lots of words. Ignoring trends and possible anomalies, direction of travel...

There's a reason form is broken into 5/6 and 10/12 game runs rather than just looked at as the whole season to date. It's because looking at the whole season to date tells you nothing about those things above.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Nov 2021 18:32

Head. Brick wall.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 24 Nov 2021 18:33

Millsy
Snowflake Royal
Millsy

To reiterate...

I'm looking at the ENTIRE SEASON SO FAR. How the hell is that cherry picking?

The stats of the ENTIRE SEASON SO FAR are that we are sat comfortably mid-table.

It's the most relevant time patch as it's THIS season, with THESE players, in THIS set of teams in THIS league that we are talking about. The only other thing we could legitimately do (but FAR FAR less relevant) is bring in the WHOLE of last season. Part of this season, or part of last season and all of this, is just... urgh... I won't regurgitate what I wrote above.

Whether we are relegation fodder with the occasional aberrant purple patch, or a playoff-worthy team hit with misfortune/ridiculous injuries of course we don't know which is why I'm looking at the whole season thus far, warts and all. You're right, who knows which bit is aberrant? Is any bit aberrant at all or is it just different phases of what we can/can't will/won't continue to do? Don't know.

Remember whom you're talking to btw and last season's discussions - I'd LOVE to be proven right that Pauno is shit and will take us down, that the form of last season bar the first few games was our true form and that our first few were the "aberrant purple patch", something you and most of HNA didn't agree with. I'd love to gloat. So I have every reason to cherry pick, which is why I'm refusing to and can't say fairer than let's look at what these guys have done over the course of this season so far.

Remember just because I happen to think we won't be relegated doesn't necessarily mean I am pro-Pauno because arguably we shoudl be doing better especially if what you're saying is true about misused and misapplied. I'm definitely open to that. I'm just saying that "warts and all" "misused and misapplied" or not, however good or bad Pauno is.. I don't understand how we can look at the whole of this season which sees us comfortably midtable ON FORM and extrapolate that from a SAFE current position we're going to go on and get relegated.

Will be interested to bring this thread up come the end of the season to see which of us was right. We both hope it's me I'm sure!

Good post.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Nov 2021 18:57

Our form this season thus far has been nothing like comfortable mid table. Add back on the six points we were deducted and we would be 18/19th depending upon results tonight. That is not comfortable mid table. Nothing like.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Nov 2021 20:40

Zip

Our form this season thus far has been nothing like comfortable mid table. Add back on the six points we were deducted and we would be 18/19th depending upon results tonight. That is not comfortable mid table. Nothing like.

Ok I hear you... Obviously games are being played now as the table changes and that's not an unfair opinion at all and it's being reasonable to go by this season's stats thanks. Yes 23 points is actually what... Hmmm.. the table is changing with games being played...ok. But still as it stands it's 18th with TWO POINTS separating 11th and 18th. More crucially as I write this is that means several positions from relegation and even more crucially 8 points off a relegation spot and 7 points off a PLAYOFF spot. So closer to promotion than relegation. Comfortably midtable? I'd say so.

But I take your point, closer to bottom end than I make out (ON GOAL DIFFERENCE). The thing is it's still not relegation form, nowhere near. So we're currently not in a relegation spot + have been in midtable form (comfortable or not , matter of opinion) and so would have to be worse than average relegation form from now on therefore to dip down there.

I really don't see what the panic is.
Last edited by Millsy on 26 Nov 2021 00:58, edited 1 time in total.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Nov 2021 20:48

Snowflake Royal Lots of words. Ignoring trends and possible anomalies, direction of travel...

There's a reason form is broken into 5/6 and 10/12 game runs rather than just looked at as the whole season to date. It's because looking at the whole season to date tells you nothing about those things above.

Head brick wall and all that but I DO understand your opinion about our tendency to either do good form or shit form and your fear that you can't just homogenise the season into a consistent RFC form and you worry that a shit spell might snowball like it did last season.

Certainly not an unfair thought process given so much of it is mental (like João just losing his focus as results went against us for example).

I just think this is why we take larger time periods to smooth these things out. I'm refraining also from looking at our great patch and suggesting we'll make the playoffs. Which I genuinely believe we can. But I accept that's being daft for this reason so am trying to stay grounded and keep my fellow Reading FC board mates from panicking!

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 24 Nov 2021 20:59

Down to 21st as it stands. Even with 6pts - we would be 19th.

We looked devoid of anything resembling a team last night. In our anniversary season.

I wish I was angry. But we have a decent squad on paper. I just feel pity.

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 24 Nov 2021 21:14

royalp-we Down to 21st as it stands. Even with 6pts - we would be 19th.

We looked devoid of anything resembling a team last night. In our anniversary season.

I wish I was angry. But we have a decent squad on paper. I just feel pity.

Interesting that you point out that it is our anniversary season. The last time we had a milestone celebration, the 100 year anniversary, we were relegated.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 24 Nov 2021 22:25

Without the points deduction Derby would themselves have 22 points. Only conceded 18 goals against our 30. Form wise expect them to surpass us by the end of the season.

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 26 Nov 2021 21:55

Lower West Without the points deduction Derby would themselves have 22 points. Only conceded 18 goals against our 30. Form wise expect them to surpass us by the end of the season.

Form is temporary, it fluctuates, good spells, bad spells. Judge it on an average after 46 games, not 19.

1865 posts