Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Stevenage (a) sponsored by an FA Cup run needed to save the season

by Sutekh » 04 Jan 2018 15:11

When : Saturday 6th January, 3pm
Where : Lamex Stadium, Broadhall Way, Stevenage, SG2 8RH
Capacity 6920
Away Stand : South Stand
What might I see in the area : Belief in an easy cup win

Well with the season over league wise, save for the small matter of trying to stay up, we now come to the one remaining game worth something i.e. it could lead to an “under the radar” cup run to at least earn a bit of bonus dosh if nothing else.

Stevenage will, no doubt, be full of confidence about their prospects particularly as they would no doubt have had someone watching Reading’s last 5 or 6 games and, let’s face it, based on what Reading have been serving up most teams down to step 3 or 4 of non league would be fairly upbeat about their chances.

Would expect some line up changes from Jaap for the game, not least due to the utter dross of recent games and poor individual performances but also because it’s a cup game against a lower division side and that’s what you do these days :roll: That said, I think we all agree changes are necessary so possibly some of the youngsters will be involved (though if they play well they will immediately be dropped for the next game).

Referee

Lancashire’s Ben Toner will be making his Reading debut for this game.

Historically
Two FA Cup games only both in recent seasons. Stevenage beat Reading at the Mad Stad a year after Reading beat them at the Lamex. So that’s one win and a goal aggregate of 2 each

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

double d

Re: MATCHWATCH : Stevenage (a) sponsored by an FA Cup run needed to save the season

by double d » 04 Jan 2018 15:20

FA cup wont save our season. League wins will. I fear for us if we get drawn against man city :shock:

Stevenage 1-1reading ft

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Stevenage (a) sponsored by an FA Cup run needed to save the season

by Ascotexgunner » 04 Jan 2018 16:06

double d FA cup wont save our season. League wins will. I fear for us if we get drawn against man city :shock:

Stevenage 1-1reading ft

Its a sad situation when you feel like that about this team when playing the big boys......I was annoyed last season that we didn't give it a good go in both cups against the big boys.....played a tippy tappy poncy game with no edge when going forward.....in fact bit like we have done against lesser sides this season.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 04 Jan 2018 16:08

2-0 Stevenage.

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 04 Jan 2018 18:00

Going myself and not going to lie, I'm not looking forward to it given the garbage I watched at Barsnley and Tuesday night.

One thing I am debating is my Stam out placard, I just can't see him turning it around. Anything other than a win would be a disaster for this team's confidence. Something has to change and I'm afraid if Gourlay has a deluded view on Stam and wants to let him relegate us then we as the fans have a responsibility to tell let the owners/Gourlay/Stam what we want and what we expect.

ROYALJOE

by ROYALJOE » 04 Jan 2018 18:51

think 1-1. anyone bringing a STAM OUT banner? tempting...

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 04 Jan 2018 19:25

ROYALJOE think 1-1. anyone bringing a STAM OUT banner? tempting...

+1 for this

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 04 Jan 2018 19:54

bracksroyal10
ROYALJOE think 1-1. anyone bringing a STAM OUT banner? tempting...

+1 for this

I bet no one has the guts to do this

Rea Ding

by Rea Ding » 04 Jan 2018 20:13

Looking forward to this as a fun change. A must win game and Stam wont get much credit for beating a league 2 club, so potentially a banana skin. Think we will do it though... onto hull away in round 4

double d

by double d » 04 Jan 2018 20:26

Ascotexgunner
double d FA cup wont save our season. League wins will. I fear for us if we get drawn against man city :shock:

Stevenage 1-1reading ft

Its a sad situation when you feel like that about this team when playing the big boys......I was annoyed last season that we didn't give it a good go in both cups against the big boys.....played a tippy tappy poncy game with no edge when going forward.....in fact bit like we have done against lesser sides this season.

I feel sad about it too. Based on our previous fa cup runs, we would have (on paper) and should have, given united a good game last year. What happened? Utter bottle job.

double d

by double d » 04 Jan 2018 20:28

If you want to bring a stam out placard, you may aswell stay at home. That really won't help anything.

Rea Ding

by Rea Ding » 05 Jan 2018 00:57

double d If you want to bring a stam out placard, you may aswell stay at home. That really won't help anything.

Well Said!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Jan 2018 08:41

When Stevenage score the opener, a hearty round of "you're not getting sacked in the morning" might be the order of the day

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 05 Jan 2018 09:07

thanks

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Jan 2018 09:46

Really looking forward to this game and a potential cup run. I just hope Stam and the players take this game seriously and turn up for it. A defeat will make things more toxic than it already is.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Jan 2018 13:27

According to the Chronicle :

READING FC boss Jaap Stam is set to ring the changes for tomorrow’s FA Cup third-round clash at Stevenage (3pm ko).
Stam confirmed he plans to rest a number of his first-team players in the aftermath of Tuesday’s home defeat to Championship strugglers Birmingham City.

That means the likes of Jon Dadi Bodvarsson, Tiago Ilori, Adrian Popa and Omar Richards could all get the nod against League Two Boro, while Anssi Jaakkola is set to deputise for Vito Mannone between the sticks.
Stam explained: “I need to make changes because some players are tired and when you aren’t getting results everything feels heavier and heavier which is normal.

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport ... Stevenage/

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Jan 2018 14:09

Is anyone aware what "certain qualities" Stevenage have?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 05 Jan 2018 14:13

Old Man Andrews Is anyone aware what "certain qualities" Stevenage have?

No, but I'm sure they play in a "certain way".

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Jan 2018 14:16

genome
Old Man Andrews Is anyone aware what "certain qualities" Stevenage have?

No, but I'm sure they play in a "certain way".

Well we will have to counter this by getting in "certain situations" then.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 05 Jan 2018 14:48

Sutekh According to the Chronicle :

READING FC boss Jaap Stam is set to ring the changes for tomorrow’s FA Cup third-round clash at Stevenage (3pm ko).
Stam confirmed he plans to rest a number of his first-team players in the aftermath of Tuesday’s home defeat to Championship strugglers Birmingham City.

That means the likes of Jon Dadi Bodvarsson, Tiago Ilori, Adrian Popa and Omar Richards could all get the nod against League Two Boro, while Anssi Jaakkola is set to deputise for Vito Mannone between the sticks.
Stam explained: “I need to make changes because some players are tired and when you aren’t getting results everything feels heavier and heavier which is normal.

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport ... Stevenage/

Nothing wrong with his approach at all IMO. We have a big and talented squad and should be capable of putting out two first eleven's, more or less. So I'm expecting us to win tomorrow whatever team Stam fields. More important to me will be the style of play. Stevenage won't allow us any time on the ball which should make for an entertaining game...

182 posts