BFT Appalling mess at home

152 posts
tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFT Appalling mess at home

by tmesis » 04 Feb 2018 10:19

Royality creeps In the fact that we are well on our way to a Calendar year without a home win is totally unacceptable.

We're not. The last home win was at the end of November.

It's 9 months since our home win on a Saturday, but if our three home wins had come on Saturdays rather than Tuesdays, it wouldn't have made our poor home form any better.

Even if we make it to the end of April without a home win on a Saturday (i.e. the rest of the season) that wouldn't be a calendar year. It'd be a "year". A calendar year is a year as it appears on a calendar, e.g. 2018, hence the name "a calendar year".

The match report thing is true though, and strangely it was true last year too.

Take Stam's first game v Preston, which you could some up with "Reading had a lot of the ball, but didn't create the amount of chances they ought to have done from possession they had", and you could apply it to nearly every game since then.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 04 Feb 2018 10:40

From a journo...

@TomBarclay_ 2h
Fear for Jaap Stam at #readingfc. Told usual first-team warmdown today was suddenly cancelled late last night...

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 04 Feb 2018 10:41

tmesis
Royality creeps In the fact that we are well on our way to a Calendar year without a home win is totally unacceptable.

We're not. The last home win was at the end of November.

It's 9 months since our home win on a Saturday, but if our three home wins had come on Saturdays rather than Tuesdays, it wouldn't have made our poor home form any better.

Even if we make it to the end of April without a home win on a Saturday (i.e. the rest of the season) that wouldn't be a calendar year. It'd be a "year". A calendar year is a year as it appears on a calendar, e.g. 2018, hence the name "a calendar year".

The match report thing is true though, and strangely it was true last year too.

Take Stam's first game v Preston, which you could some up with "Reading had a lot of the ball, but didn't create the amount of chances they ought to have done from possession they had", and you could apply it to nearly every game since then.

I meant to say Saturday... :roll:

Vicky Pollard

by Vicky Pollard » 04 Feb 2018 11:34

Did someone give Ilori a 6? :shock:

He looked like he'd fallen out of bed for all the energy he showed. Backed this up with some horrendous passing and the worst first touch I've seen for some time to pick up a well deserved yellow. He is arrogant, lethargic and complacent on the ball.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 04 Feb 2018 11:51

Vicky Pollard Did someone give Ilori a 6? :shock:

He looked like he'd fallen out of bed for all the energy he showed. Backed this up with some horrendous passing and the worst first touch I've seen for some time to pick up a well deserved yellow. He is arrogant, lethargic and complacent on the ball.

And Stam paid £3M for him! Yet another total waste of money from the arrogant Dutch Tw@t. And he blames previous owners' mismangement for falling foul of the FFP regs!! What a absolute bellend this bloke really is. Cannot go soon enough.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 04 Feb 2018 12:46

bloody Volvo driver WB

Whilst I totally agree, that's the depths that Cretin Stam has dragged this club

Come off it, you might be able to blame him for many things but we have always had, under every manager, cretinous 'supporters' who are more than happy to get on the back of individual Reading players and boo them during a game.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 04 Feb 2018 12:48

genome From a journo...

@TomBarclay_ 2h
Fear for Jaap Stam at #readingfc. Told usual first-team warmdown today was suddenly cancelled late last night...

From a journo that can't work out that if a club is going to fire their manager, they would probably want all of the first team squad assembled at the training ground so that they can break the news properly to the players, rather than them hear from a journalist!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Feb 2018 12:57

RoyalBlue
genome From a journo...

@TomBarclay_ 2h

From a journo that can't work out that if a club is going to fire their manager, they would probably want all of the first team squad assembled at the training ground so that they can break the news properly to the players, rather than them hear from a journalist!

An excellent point with just one tiny insignificant flaw. It assumes the players weren't told why the warmdown was cancelled.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 04 Feb 2018 13:30

strap
windermereROYAL Would like some stats to know if this is heading towards our worse ever season at home. cant be far away surely?

Currently enjoying a rather pleasant night away with my good lady. Will post some
Stats when I get home tomorrow - although the stats showing just how bad the Dutch F U C K W I T Tw@t is just keep mounting! I doubt one more will make any difference!

Afternoon all. Didn't get too plastered last night with the good lady wife, so head not banging.

Some rather depressing stats as promised.

Our current home league record is W3 D4 L8 F14 A20. The fewest number of home wins in a 46 game league season is 7 in 1954/5 when we finished 18th. The fewest number of points in a 46 game season was Terry The Taxi's 97/98 vintage - W8 D4 L11 F27 A 31.

We have done worse though. 87/88 was 5-7-10-20-25 and 12/13 was 4-8-7-23-33.

The lowest number of goals scored at home in a 46 game season is 24 in 14/15, but have had 23 in 12/13, 20 in 87/88 and 19 in 07/08.

Our lowest ever highest league scorer in a season was Carl Asaba with 8 in Terry The Taxi's single season.

I wonder how many of these "records" we will "break" this season? Surely Barrow can get a couple more goals in the 16 games left? To not "beat" Terry's 8-4-11 we will need to somehow find 6 wins from our last 8 home games. That is NOT going to happen, so Terry will be relinquishing one record! He holds the record of most defeats at home in a league season with 11. If we lose 4 of our last 8 hmoe league games that's another record he'll give up to the Dutch F U C K W I T.

Given our last 8 home games are against :

Derby (currently 2nd)
Sheffield United (8th)
Bolton (20th)
Leeds (10th)
QPR (15th)
Preston (7th)
Sunderland (23rd)
and
Ipswich (12th)

I would say 4 defeats isn't exactly beyond the realms of possibility!

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 04 Feb 2018 13:38

strap
strap
windermereROYAL Would like some stats to know if this is heading towards our worse ever season at home. cant be far away surely?

Currently enjoying a rather pleasant night away with my good lady. Will post some
Stats when I get home tomorrow - although the stats showing just how bad the Dutch F U C K W I T Tw@t is just keep mounting! I doubt one more will make any difference!

Afternoon all. Didn't get too plastered last night with the good lady wife, so head not banging.

Some rather depressing stats as promised.

Our current home league record is W3 D4 L8 F14 A20. The fewest number of home wins in a 46 game league season is 7 in 1954/5 when we finished 18th. The fewest number of points in a 46 game season was Terry The Taxi's 97/98 vintage - W8 D4 L11 F27 A 31.

We have done worse though. 87/88 was 5-7-10-20-25 and 12/13 was 4-8-7-23-33.

The lowest number of goals scored at home in a 46 game season is 24 in 14/15, but have had 23 in 12/13, 20 in 87/88 and 19 in 07/08.

Our lowest ever highest league scorer in a season was Carl Asaba with 8 in Terry The Taxi's single season.

I wonder how many of these "records" we will "break" this season? Surely Barrow can get a couple more goals in the 16 games left? To not "beat" Terry's 8-4-11 we will need to somehow find 6 wins from our last 8 home games. That is NOT going to happen, so Terry will be relinquishing one record! He holds the record of most defeats at home in a league season with 11. If we lose 4 of our last 8 hmoe league games that's another record he'll give up to the Dutch F U C K W I T.

Given our last 8 home games are against :

Derby (currently 2nd)
Sheffield United (8th)
Bolton (20th)
Leeds (10th)
QPR (15th)
Preston (7th)
Sunderland (23rd)
and
Ipswich (12th)

I would say 4 defeats isn't exactly beyond the realms of possibility!

Only one against the current top 6. nothing earth shatteringly difficult apart from Derby, but neither was anything in the last 4 home games.

Steve_Upper_West

by Steve_Upper_West » 04 Feb 2018 13:54

Decision to stay home and watch some rugby totally vindicated :wink:

Funny enough they pass the ball backwards too - only difference is they actually move up the pitch at the same time ! Cannot imagine I will be returning any time soon, not while the 'Double Dutch Man' is still around that is for sure - I actually reckon Eddie Jones could do a better job than Stam at the moment :o

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 04 Feb 2018 14:21

I think Ilori has talent. He just has the wrong attitude, and plays like he feels the championship is beneath him.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Feb 2018 14:29

Steve_Upper_West Decision to stay home and watch some rugby totally vindicated :wink:

Nothing vindicates watching any form of rugby.

Vicky Pollard

by Vicky Pollard » 04 Feb 2018 14:59

tmesis

I think Ilori has talent. He just has the wrong attitude, and plays like he feels the championship is beneath him.

Agreed, and if he continues playing with the arrogance he does then the Championship will be above him, not below.

bloody Volvo driver

by bloody Volvo driver » 04 Feb 2018 15:24

RoyalBlue
bloody Volvo driver WB

Whilst I totally agree, that's the depths that Cretin Stam has dragged this club

Come off it, you might be able to blame him for many things but we have always had, under every manager, cretinous 'supporters' who are more than happy to get on the back of individual Reading players and boo them during a game.

The clue was in the words "whilst I totally agree"

How many more times, we have some of the most placid, non confrontational supporters going. Imagine if Stam was strutting his utter shite football at Molineaux, Villa Park, St James Park etc, the level of abuse directed at him / the team / the board currently would appear like child's play.

What I was trying to suggest that to illicit any sort of response from Reading fans takes some doing, yet Stam has managed it with ease.

Stam out!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 Feb 2018 15:55

https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/news/stam- ... kett-boos/

Jaap Stam hit back at the Reading FC supporters who booed Tyler Blackett during the side's 2-0 defeat by Millwall.

The defender was targeted with jeers by the home fans after several key mistakes, including one for the Lions' second goal.

Stam slammed the fans who got on Blackett's back and the side's playing style, saying it is detrimental to the players' confidence.

"If a crowd is reacting in a certain way against their own team then it's not good for any confidence or decision making for players," said Stam.

"We saw it in the first half as well.

"If a player doesn't see a solution then people in the crowd shout 'forward, forward, forward' it makes them go into a certain mood where they are not sure what to do at times.

"The players need to focus on what they are trying to do and not on other things. I am speaking for myself but you can assume what players are feeling at times.

"The fans are asking to be direct going forward and we did it a lot especially in the first half. But you see it's not always easy to do the things you want to do."

Blackett had come on as a first half substitute for Tommy Elphick who was forced into an early withdrawl with a knee injury.

The former Manchester United player was then replaced in the second half by Garath McCleary for the final 15 minutes.

Stam insisted the move was tactical, however, and not a reflection on Blackett's performance.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 04 Feb 2018 16:02

I'm really not seeing too much in there I disagree with. I keep hearing how he insults 'the fans', but I really don't feel he has insulted me and he never has. For example, does anyone in here actually refute that a crowd boo-ing and getting on a players back could be detrimental to that players confidence and play? I'm not asking whether it 'should' affect the player, I'm asking whether in fact it could or does.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 04 Feb 2018 17:04

Snowflake Royal
RoyalBlue
genome From a journo...

@TomBarclay_ 2h

An excellent point with just one tiny insignificant flaw. It assumes the players weren't told why the warmdown was cancelled.

An assumption that would have been well founded, given that if they had been told the manager had been fired, it would have been all over the media before this journo had time to speculate about the cancelled warm down.

biff

by biff » 04 Feb 2018 18:58

Boo hoo, grown up well paid adults should be able to take a (deserved) ribbing if they arent performing to the level expected. Blackett wouldve been shot if he'd played like that in Colombia. Come to think of it, the whole team would probably have disappeared. Absolute showerofshite.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 04 Feb 2018 19:35

Woodcote Royal Today I took my seat for the first time in about 2 months. The sad fact is, I was struggling to remember the last game I attended :|

On the back of what I saw as an unexpected, not to mention relatively comfortable, victory up at Burton, I spurned the opportunity of modest gainful employment in the hope of witnessing further progress on the hallowed turf.

And, I have to say, as one of Stam's biggest critics in recent months, I feel inclined to add some perspective to most of the views above.

Firstly, any credit for Millwall's performance appears non existent. While we are belatedly, and quite rightly in my view, attempting to get back to basics, the fact Millwall are better at it than we are really isn't that surprising. We are recent converts, they play like that every week. To state the obvious, they are not Burton Albion and are doing very well with the resources at their disposal. Furthermore, we all but gave them Jake Cooper and have since spent millions searching for his replacement :|

Secondly, I don't think it's unfair to suggest we were a tad unfortunate. Despite Millwall having a definitive edge, until the first goal went in I was thoroughly enjoying my first game of the year. Also, I was right behind the wicked deflection from our left wing back's attempted clearance that left Mannone stranded. Bacuna was arguably our best summer signing and, yet again, was having a decent game but, sh*t happens :|

Thirdly, I agreed with those who felt Stam put out, more or less, his best available team. This included new loanee, the impressive and hugely experienced Tommy Elphick, who was promptly crocked on the half hour. Enter stage left the much maligned Tyler Blackett :|

Minutes after conceding an unfortunate first, Elphick's error prone replacement fcuks up and we find ourselves 2 goals down with little more than 15 minutes to go.

While I couldn't see us winning another game before Burton, and accept Millwall had more clear cut chances, we won't always be this unfortunate and will find easier nuts to crack than a side who recently returned from Elland Road with all 3pts.

Today's result was obviously disappointing but, if Stam is willing to continue with this new approach, I can't see us being caught by any of the bottom three.

However, all that being said, I agree with Adi Williams in that Stam's days should still be numbered. Sure, I no longer see us being relegated but neither do I see Stam taking us where we want to go.

This is a talented squad that should never have found itself staving off relegation. I don't blame the players and see none of the lethargy others insist is present. But I am happy to accept many of them have as little faith in their manager as most of us. Who can blame them?!!

Finally, Tyler Blackett has a huge capacity to drive the fanbase bananas but he was only on the pitch today to cover for injury. It's one thing to boo the team off the pitch but those who gave the abuse to one of our players whenever he touched the ball need to ask themselves if they really support this club. Who knows how long Elphick is out for and how many replacements do we have beyond Blackett? He'll need to be one tough cookie to recover anytime soon from the abuse he received from our resident idiots. Well done!! :evil:

A very reasonable posting Woodcote.
A few things though.
You haven't mentioned a first half when around us we were saying at half-time we could easily have been 3 or 4 down and we had just watched a half where the home side did not have a single shot on target.

You didn't go to the games v Burton and Birmingham-these were home games against teams below us and we lost.
After that we were given a bit of a footballing lesson by Brentford.

Then comes Millwall, a team very near us in league position and they played as a team with everybody very aware of what they should be doing and end up as comfortable winners-in no way were they at all lucky.

The booing of Blackett wasn't great but now becomes the story of the game and a real red herring covering up for how bad our team's performance was on the day.

I don't necessarily agree with those that say this is a talented squad-Mo was the only player yesterday who looked good enough to get in Millwall's side but who assembled this squad?. None of them has come through the much vaunted Academy that was meant to produce the bedrock of sides going forward but so far has produced so little..

What Stam just does not seem to understand about football is that midfielders dictate games-ours are just so slow in thinking and athleticism and in particular the clown Joey.
Our manager picks him every week so we have to question his judgement as we do about Aluko-what is he meant to be bringing to our side?

There is so much wrong and our expectations are so low-we get a win against a Div 2 side (after being outplayed in the first game) and another win against a side destined to be in Div 1 next season and some people feel that we have turned the corner.
Yesterday showed that we haven't but will "the buck stops here" man be called to account?
Probably not because we are just half way through "the project".

We go round and round in circles on here because we care about our club-the players (although they might tweet and say how much they love the club etc.) are mercenary millionaires passing through as is the manager-but they give the impression that they don't care and if Joey does that lowering of his head and not get on with the game when he has just f*****d up for the nth time I might even get to boo ( "boo" In the sense of crying with frustration rather than booing the player).

152 posts