BFTG Sheffield Utd

144 posts
ElmParkBloke

Re: BFTG Sheffield Utd

by ElmParkBloke » 28 Feb 2018 14:53

I’ve been an active supporter for 60 years, and I now see this club imploding in front of my eyes. In the last few years it has become either a plaything or business tool of rich foreigners, the most recent of whom are completely anonymous and silent. I don’t even know their names. They seem content to sit back, say nothing, and watch the disaster unfold, if in fact they are even bothering to do that. Gourlay is probably buttering them up, saying everything is fine. Oh, for the days of Sir John!

I saw us go down to the fourth tier, and though that was bad, a relegation to League 1 would be so much worse, as there is so much more at stake.

Why is it called ‘Reading Football Club’? In what sense is it a club? It certainly isn’t a club in the sense of the clubs I am familiar with: for example the local Astronomical Society, or the RC Model Flying Club, both of which I can actually join, and feel like I am involved. It’s a stretch to imagine a football club being like this these days; perhaps it should just be named Reading Football Limited? But we could at least, as presumably valued customers, be given some real information from time to time, instead of the bland corporate crap that appears on the web site these days. (The last time I looked, at any rate. I just don’t go there any more, and rely on HNA for news these days).

I also rarely look at the STAR section of this forum, where you would think that most of the content relating to what can be done to change things would be, but there’s almost nothing. I appreciate STAR’s efforts to organise away travel, but apart from that, its presence at this club seems to be only in the form of a rather seedy looking container behind the East Stand, where the guy behind the counter and his mates yak to each other and sell a rather pathetic looking bunch of old programmes.

Wish I had the answer. Rant over.

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 28 Feb 2018 15:01

It hurts but I'm past the point of caring to shout anymore at matches. Yes we were up against a well organised Sheffield United team but once again this team lacked the fight and bottle to at least give them a close game. It is the same old story every week, we concede 2 goals and by the time we wake up it is too late to put things right.

Stam is to blame once again changing to that awfully defensive minded formation but the players must also be held accountable for the shambles this season, they were good enough to perform in the way Stam wanted last year so why on earth has it gone so disastrously wrong this year? It is not down to one or two individuals besides Kermorgant's goals that we are missing. It is a collective effort from 11 professionals playing AS A TEAM.

The only positives once again coming from our academy boys, Kelly I've noticed has been adding some drive to his game when going forward and Richards once again a great finish.

I was the one who asked Ady Williams in a text on berks last night do the players know what it means to wear the shirt and was immediately dismissed by all of the Berks panel! Other than Gunter, Kelly, Dadi and Richards I really think the players do not give a hoot! I am fed up of this pathetic attitude where the players look around at each other but will not take responsibility for their poor mistakes or lack of ambition on the ball to pass or shoot. There are so many basics that we cannot perform on the field it is a joke and this will continue until a new face is in charge of this struggling side.

Nothing is going to change until this club's fans start being more vocal in what they want. It is almost as if the fans are scared of upsetting the club. We have a game on Sky this week, a perfect opportunity to make our feelings as fans clear to the owners assuming most are Stam out. First and foremost lets get behind the boys but as we are on TV lets bring the Stam Out banners. Enough is enough and its time we as fans were more vocal and visual about our absolute shambles of a situation.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 28 Feb 2018 15:25

Our home form this season...

WDWDLLDLLWLDWDLLWLLDL

P21 W5 D6 L10

Ignoring the decent start, that's P17 W3 D4 L10 since September 9th

Has it ever been this bad at home?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Feb 2018 15:29

genome Our home form this season...

WDWDLLDLLWLDWDLLWLLDL

P21 W5 D6 L10

is that including cup games? Actually sounds better than I thought it was.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 28 Feb 2018 15:34

Hound

WDWDLLDLLWLDWDLLWLLDL

P21 W5 D6 L10

Yeah, league only is

DWLDLLWLDWDLLLLDL

P17 W3 D5 L9

3 wins in 17 home games is horrendous

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 28 Feb 2018 15:36

genome
Hound

WDWDLLDLLWLDWDLLWLLDL

P21 W5 D6 L10

Yeah, league only is

DWLDLLWLDWDLLLLDL

P17 W3 D5 L9

Bloody hell. There's value for money for your season ticket. Fair play to those still turning up week in week out.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Feb 2018 15:37

2 points in the last 7 home games is absolutely ghastly

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 28 Feb 2018 15:53

10539.4 Miles Away
genome
Hound

Yeah, league only is

DWLDLLWLDWDLLLLDL

P17 W3 D5 L9

Bloody hell. There's value for money for your season ticket. Fair play to those still turning up week in week out.

I'm sick of it frankly and been since october. There's zero fun and absolutely no point in going.

Basildon

by Basildon » 28 Feb 2018 15:55

Hound 2 points in the last 7 home games is absolutely ghastly

Especially when you consider three of them were against Burton, Birmingham, and (not quite as bad) Millwall :shock:

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 28 Feb 2018 15:57

Conversely, the away form reads:

LLWDLWLWDWLLDDWLD

P17 W4 D6 L7

Pretty mid-table for an away record. Home record has to be one of the worst in the league at this point which is a complete 180 from last season.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 28 Feb 2018 16:16

Compare that to last season's home record:

WWDWWDWDLWWWWWLWWDWWDWWWWW

:lol:

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 28 Feb 2018 16:38

Just read the Sheff Utd forum for what has to be the most deluded view of their 3rd goal:

Don't know why that commenter was saying Sharp was unmarked for the 3rd. Looks like he was quite tightly marked but managed to work an inch of space to get beyond the defence and slip the ball home. Classic poachers goal.

No matter which side of the argument, bad sportsmanship or stupidity on Reading's part, how can anyone look at that goal and claim that Sharp did anything remotely skilful to score that goal? Surely the only two options are:

1) They cheated.
2) Reading were stupid and switched off.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Feb 2018 16:40

tidus_mi2 Just read the Sheff Utd forum for what has to be the most deluded view of their 3rd goal:

Don't know why that commenter was saying Sharp was unmarked for the 3rd. Looks like he was quite tightly marked but managed to work an inch of space to get beyond the defence and slip the ball home. Classic poachers goal.

No matter which side of the argument, bad sportsmanship or stupidity on Reading's part, how can anyone look at that goal and claim that Sharp did anything remotely skilful to score that goal? Surely the only two options are:

1) They cheated.
2) Reading were stupid and switched off.

tbf, being marked by JVDB is the equivalent of being unmarked. Maybe thats where the confusion comes in.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 28 Feb 2018 16:46

genome
Hound

WDWDLLDLLWLDWDLLWLLDL

P21 W5 D6 L10

Yeah, league only is

DWLDLLWLDWDLLLLDL

P17 W3 D5 L9

Bearing in mind that Reading have usually been quite good at home over the years I checked back to the 1920/21 season for the home results.

The least number of home wins was the last time that we were relegated from the Premier League in 2012/13 at 4 but of course from just 19 games and it was the Premier level in this country.
For the previous relegation from the Premier League we had 8 home wins from 19.
For other relegation seasons we averaged around 10 home wins from 23.

Specifically for relegation from what is now The Championship we won 5 from 22 in 1987/88 and 8 from 23 in 1997/98.

So, ladies and gentlemen we may see history about to be made as possibly the worst home performing side in the club's history.
It feels bad and is bad.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 28 Feb 2018 17:03

Victor Meldrew
MoorgateRoyal I'm not reading through the whole thread so please forgive me if I miss other points of discussion or make a point which has already been made.

The first goal felt inevitable after a really shaky opening few minutes and we got what we deserved, really. We didn't respond like we did against Derby and it looked like it'd be tough from there. The second was a great strike, take nothing away from it, but we were poor in getting out and pressuring the ball and with so many men back, we were so passive we were inviting it. Good smash from Richards for our goal, and we looked like we might be finding some character to get back into it. The pen was telegraphed but looked a good save anyway. Watching it back may be different, however.

The third goal was a complete shambles. It is up to the ref to stop the game for an injury in the first place, but I still do think it's sporting to give it back when the other team kicks it out. But when the player doesn't event want the physio you have to expect the other team to take advantage, which Sheff U deservedly did.

My player ratings are below, for anyone who gives a shit.

Mannone - 5. Unlucky with the goals, from memory, and needs to continue kicking it long from goal kicks as standard. We can play it short when it's on quick, and we're going to move up the pitch, which we were able to do in the second half late on, when there was more space.
Gunter - 4. Utter gimp for their third goal and offers nothing going forwards. Defensively he wasn't solid tonight and I can't really see any leadership from him, other than shouting at the ref and lino.
Richards - 6. Tried to get up and down and took his goal well. He's acquitting himself fairly well, being dropped into a team low on confidence battling it out at the bottom of the league.
Moore - 5. Trying his best but we are so disjointed at the back and he often looks like the only one holding it together. Needs to match players like Clarke and Donaldson's aggression in the air a bit more.
Ilori - 4. Shaky start and dwells on the ball too much in games where we can't afford to do it. I thought he actually improved as the game went on and got the ball moving forwards a lot quicker, which everyone needs to do. There's a good player in there, he just needs a confidence boost and to be a bit more canny.
JvdB - 4. Spent far too much time trying to have a go at Sharp who must have been laughing at him throughout. He slows us down so much and is positionally woeful, as well as just fouling people all over the shop.
Kelly - 5. Tried to get us going and did well to win the penalty. Good set piece delivery as well. Needs some more muscle in alongside him.
Clement - 5. I thought he was reasonable and tried to keep doing the right things. Was involved in some good moves that led to corners. He is just physically not there yet, and Sheff U were always going to be getting up and at us, which made things difficult for him.
Bacuna - 4. Didn't impose himself on the game and his penalty was telegraphed completely, although it looked a good save. Questionable mentality for me, he always looks like he'll be one getting involved in shoving and pointing, or like he'll try and cut someone in half.
Jon Dadi - 5. Grafted but made no real impact. No one was close enough to him anyway.
Martin - 4. Anonymous. One chance near the end which he shanked wide but other than that he was a passenger.

I'm not one to advocate sacking the manager, and I like that traditionally we give managers a chance. But, when you just can't see what's so blatantly wrong, and can't seem to either change it or get your message across well enough, then there's a big problem.

He dropped Joey on Saturday and we looked a lot better, and even last night when we started to just go long from the goal kicks, which isn't a huge change, it allowed us to play our game further forward and put at least a bit of pressure on the opponents. Mixing up how you play doesn't make you a bad team, and simplifying things when you're playing shit can often lead to better results.

I want Jaap to succeed and he obviously wants to as well, but it seems like he can't see what's in front of him.

Pretty good summary although I might have upped the rating for Kelly.
Good to see that somebody else notices Gunter's shortcomings.

According to Talksport we and Middlesboro are the only 2 sides in the Championship that have failed to score a goal in added time this season-not sure what that says other than perhaps that we don't fight to the end (no surprise for a team that shows so little fight in 90 minutes).

Things must be bad for zip and Royal Blue to finally lose their RTGs and both see and acknowledge what is happening on the pitch.

Interesting to hear Stam acknowledge that it could have been 6 or 7.
There is something very likeable about the man, as there was with Rodgers , but it looks as though at this early stage of his management career he cannot manage players of Championship ability and, like Rodgers, he might be better managing players of a much higher standard.
Being Dutch he is quite open and once again he came out with the couldn't-care-less-really line about being sacked-presumably he is already a wealthy man even before any major pay out from us if he were to be sacked.

The daftest thing to me from his interview was saying that Mo was unfit and wouldn't have gone on-why have him freezing in the dug-out?
As for the attendance,there were just 5 of us in our row in the East Stand and just 2 in the row in front so somewhere around 7000 was probably about right with the way end occupied at around 15% of capacity.

Where do we go from here?
Wolves..........the sort of game where in the past we might produce a shock result (such as at high-flying Derby a couple of seasons ago when Fosu and a couple pf other kids played) but it has got so bad it is so difficult to see happening.

One good thing about last night-no traffic on the roads, motorways not closed and for once got in before midnight.

Bizarre comment in reference to me. I have wanted Stam out since Christmas and have been appalled by a number of our performances this season. We were decent on Saturday but the games at home to Burton and Birmingham particularly were abysmal. Hull, Boro and Bristol City were not much better and thankfully I gave the Millwall game a swerve. So no you have me wrong as an RTG type. I just happen to think your constant targetting of Gunter is obsessive and ignores the problems throughout the team. Gunter was poor last night though.

I feel for Stam though. The players as a collective are just as responsible as he is and they had better turn up against Bolton otherwise we are in deep trouble. Until last night I thought we would just about avoid relegation. Now I fear the lack of fight in this squad means we are heading for the drop.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 28 Feb 2018 17:11

Hound 2 points in the last 7 home games is absolutely ghastly

It’s been bloody hard work. Me and my lad travel from the Cotswolds. We won’t be renewing. We will pick and chose games next season.
Agree with Victor though. The one bonus was getting straight on the bus back to Mereoak park and ride last night instead of waiting in a long queue and getting home by 11:30pm as the motorway was so quiet. Every cloud....

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 28 Feb 2018 18:14

Shambles

Relegation

Build for the future. Even if means a spell in League 1

Im struggling to remember any team I've watched in 50 years of football look so inept and clueless as was the case last night. Seen better football played by league 2 sides this season.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 28 Feb 2018 18:18

double d
tidus_mi2
JR
Good riddance you feeble sorry excuse for a supporter - if only this post was the truth!

Does feel like there needs to be a double d 24/7 IP watch

Good riddance to me too. I will gladly leave this shambles of a team behind.

Cool. happy to enforce it on HNA too.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 28 Feb 2018 18:35

Anyone hear something?

marcusopp

by marcusopp » 28 Feb 2018 18:35

double d Wasted 45 minutes of my life there. Left at ht. Chucked my st away somewhere in a bush. I do not see myself ever going back. I will get a Crawley st next year when I move.

:D
It is really shit right now, worst ever.

144 posts