North Royal Lad

Re: Reading or England?

by North Royal Lad » 26 Mar 2018 21:04

Reading & Englsnd

you should supported your international team win or lose

OldBiscuit

by OldBiscuit » 26 Mar 2018 21:50

Reading are more important to me, even when we’re just meandering in the Championship, but being English, I kind of want the National team to do well, even I can’t really see it happening while the FA is still being controlled by the same types that have controlled it for years.
As for putting Country before Club in some misguided act of duty is only for the truly manipulated and brainwashed.

Augem

by Augem » 26 Mar 2018 22:55

Pepe the Horseman In order of preference, I think:

Reading win Champions League
Reading win Premier League
Reading win FA Cup
Reading win Europa League
Reading win League Cup
England win World Cup
England win Euros
Reading win play off final
Reading win Championship
Reading avoid relegation

Some wish list think we will have to start at the bottom though

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 26 Mar 2018 23:12

Couldn't care less about the England team. Bunch of unlikable prima donnas who are more interested in FIFA tournaments than national tournaments. For them playing for England is just a status thing.

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 26 Mar 2018 23:50

Club over country for me.

Would rather see Reading win the championship in the style of 2005/06, on the basis that it would be really rather good to experience it without being drunk out of my skull for the last 10 games of the season :lol:

A CL win would indicate that we'd been promoted, and done well in the premier league for a season, and likely were doing relatively well again in the Premier League....so yeah, I'll take that....

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 27 Mar 2018 08:15

There are only 2 days in my life that I gave even the slightest fcuk about England. June 1st 2007 and August 22nd 2007.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Mar 2018 08:45

I'm actually pretty keen for the national team to do well. Unfortunately one of the biggest turn offs for me is the group of absolute bell ends who follow them round causing trouble - ie all the 10 German bombers rubbish

I actually quite like the players - they seem a decent bunch nowadays, and I like Southgate.

I'd love to see them win a WC or a Euros in my lifetime, though can't really see it happening. On the other hand, I'm fully expecting to see Reading in the Prem again at some stage (maybe misguidedly)

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 27 Mar 2018 08:49

Hound I'm actually pretty keen for the national team to do well. Unfortunately one of the biggest turn offs for me is the group of absolute bell ends who follow them round causing trouble - ie all the 10 German bombers rubbish

This.

Would love to take my son to a World Cup one day to see England but the supporters put me off. They go round causing trouble and then can't handle it when they get it back and start moaning about unfair treatment etc.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Mar 2018 09:09

Old Man Andrews
Hound I'm actually pretty keen for the national team to do well. Unfortunately one of the biggest turn offs for me is the group of absolute bell ends who follow them round causing trouble - ie all the 10 German bombers rubbish

This.

Would love to take my son to a World Cup one day to see England but the supporters put me off. They go round causing trouble and then can't handle it when they get it back and start moaning about unfair treatment etc.

"It woz just bantz, lol"

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 27 Mar 2018 09:15

From Despair To Where? There are only 2 days in my life that I gave even the slightest fcuk about England. June 1st 2007 and August 22nd 2007.

Two friendlies?

Edit: Wait, Nicky Shorey.
Last edited by genome on 27 Mar 2018 09:20, edited 1 time in total.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 27 Mar 2018 09:16

Old Man Andrews

This.

Just you wait 'til the Ruskies get a hold of them in the summer. I fear they'll be brought down a peg or two.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 27 Mar 2018 09:23

genome
Old Man Andrews

This.

Just you wait 'til the Ruskies get a hold of them in the summer. I fear they'll be brought down a peg or two.

Yeah they battered the England fans in France a couple of years ago. God knows what will happen out in Russia, could be really nasty.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 27 Mar 2018 09:25

Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews

This.

"It woz just bantz, lol"

I feel sorry for those going out there who have to be associated with those idiots. All the well meaning supporters and dickheads will be penned in together in the fan zone meaning the innocent will just end up being guilty by association. Russia isn't a safe place at the best of time let alone now with the Salisbury poisoning saga. The police out there will be looking for any excuse to use violence towards our supporters.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Mar 2018 11:54

Old Man Andrews
Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews
This.

"It woz just bantz, lol"

I feel sorry for those going out there who have to be associated with those idiots. All the well meaning supporters and dickheads will be penned in together in the fan zone meaning the innocent will just end up being guilty by association. Russia isn't a safe place at the best of time let alone now with the Salisbury poisoning saga. The police out there will be looking for any excuse to use violence towards our supporters.

And go easy on the Russians who get violent with Europeans and yanks.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 27 Mar 2018 12:02

Old Man Andrews

Reading win FA Cup
Reading win League Cup
England win World Cup
England win Euros
Reading win Championship
Reading avoid relegation

Not sure if it just me or not but I couldn't give a rats arse about the Champions League. To me it represents a lot of what is wrong with modern football.

FA Cup is the dream for me. Would love Reading to win it in my life time.

That doesn't give the team long.... :wink:

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 27 Mar 2018 12:05

Tilehurstsouthbank
Old Man Andrews

Reading win FA Cup
Reading win League Cup
England win World Cup
England win Euros
Reading win Championship
Reading avoid relegation

Not sure if it just me or not but I couldn't give a rats arse about the Champions League. To me it represents a lot of what is wrong with modern football.

FA Cup is the dream for me. Would love Reading to win it in my life time.

That doesn't give the team long.... :wink:

You can do a lot in 2 years.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 27 Mar 2018 17:37

Elm Park Kid Couldn't care less about the England team.

You aren't alone, it seems. As a kid, England games were massive. At school there was so much anticipation for a game ...who should be picked, the subs, etc. And then after the games, we'd discuss it for hours and then days. Even friendly internationals were a big deal, and if you couldn't go, you at least wanted to get your hands on the match programme somehow.

I was thinking back, and I can't really recall when it all changed with regard to England and why? Was it a gradual evolution or fairly rapid? Could interest ever be revived again and what needs to happen? To the OP, you are right, things seem different for national teams in other countries. :(

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 27 Mar 2018 18:58

Denver Royal
Elm Park Kid Couldn't care less about the England team.

You aren't alone, it seems. As a kid, England games were massive. At school there was so much anticipation for a game ...who should be picked, the subs, etc. And then after the games, we'd discuss it for hours and then days. Even friendly internationals were a big deal, and if you couldn't go, you at least wanted to get your hands on the match programme somehow.

I was thinking back, and I can't really recall when it all changed with regard to England and why? Was it a gradual evolution or fairly rapid? Could interest ever be revived again and what needs to happen? To the OP, you are right, things seem different for national teams in other countries. :(

Having come from Ireland I find it pretty odd really.

Would people get more behind a British team? Is it just England? Becasue the Scottish and Welsh people I know can be very intense supporters.
I know some people who are passionate England supporters, but a lot seem quite apathetic. Also, even the ones I know who are really into the England rugby team, say, would be indifferent to football etc. Or vice versa i.e., they have to be into that sport to care.

Whereas a lot of Irish people I know would follow tiddlywinks with interest, if there was an Irish team involved.

Royal & Ancient
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal & Ancient » 27 Mar 2018 21:05

Am I the only Hobnobber to be at the 1966 Final? What a day that was,indeed the whole tournament when it was a thing of pride to represent the country. Group of us,working in London, bought a ticket for all the Wembley games. £25, some bargain that but remember my wife thought it an extravagance!

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 27 Mar 2018 21:15

Royal & Ancient Am I the only Hobnobber to be at the 1966 Final? What a day that was,indeed the whole tournament when it was a thing of pride to represent the country. Group of us,working in London, bought a ticket for all the Wembley games. £25, some bargain that but remember my wife thought it an extravagance!

Heh, I wasn't there, but loved watching it on TV with my mum. Good for you, R&A!

Did the 3rd goal for England really cross the goal line?:)

Things went down hill somewhat after that, I recall. Knocked out by Yugoslavia in '68 Euros. Lost 3-2 to Germany (after being 2-0 up) in '70 WC. And then didn't even qualify for '74 WC, knocked out by Poland (who tbf, were a good team, who only lost 1-0 to Germany in semi final, and then beat Brazil in 3rd place match).