Leaving Games Early...?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Leaving Games Early...?

by paultheroyal » 21 Apr 2022 11:40

Bristol Rovers game is the only match i have left ridiculously early.

Were there any obvious candidates on here who left early on Monday?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 21 Apr 2022 11:41

Ian left so early he didn't even leave his house

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 21 Apr 2022 11:43

genome Ian left so early he didn't even leave his house

Thankfully the radio has an off button. Result.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 21 Apr 2022 13:44

I have to admit that as stoppage time started and Swansea appeared to be comfortably retaining the ball and keeping away from danger I did fear that we wouldn't get anything from the game and maybe a prompt exit (watching the last couple of minutes on the TV in the concourse) was the way to go.

However, I then came to my senses and realised that in our current predicament the last thing the players needed was to see how the crowd was deserting them when things weren't going our way. Probably ended up being amongst the last to leave after the final whistle!

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 21 Apr 2022 18:44

paultheroyal
genome Ian left so early he didn't even leave his house

Thankfully the radio has an off button. Result.

:lol:

Wow. Paul hits the Tombstone Piledriver out of absolutely nowhere.

Ian cannot get out of this one.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 19 Jun 2022 11:32

I only leave games early if the result is in no doubt on say 87mins

Everyone has their own reasons for when they leave and it’s fair enough but I’m always amazed at people leaving early if it’s a tight game or you get the feeling something may happen

That roar as you are leaving early, hurts too much

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 19 Jun 2022 13:47

I can only ever remember leaving early against the gasheads at the mad stad and many years ago at Chesterfield when we were losing 7 - 1.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Jun 2022 08:09

SouthDownsRoyal I only leave games early if the result is in no doubt on say 87mins

Everyone has their own reasons for when they leave and it’s fair enough but I’m always amazed at people leaving early if it’s a tight game or you get the feeling something may happen

Out of interest, what is the criteria you have in your mind for not in doubt? 2 goal lead or more?

Just thinking of say that 2-2 against Chelsea, where we were 2 down on 87 - no doubt about the result that night. No plan is foolproof.

When I went regularly, if I left early it was just based on how I felt things were going to pan out - made the odd mistake but hey ho. Sat at the top of the East, so normally just wondered down and took a seat nearer the bottom that had already been vacated and watch the last few mins from there.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 20 Jun 2022 08:51

Southend away early 80’s

2-0 down into injury time and scored twice in 30 seconds (thank you Sanch)

Never leave early, even during the painful ones … makes the good ones taste even sweeter

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jun 2022 13:01

Only started to leave 1 game early, and the whistle went before I left the stand. Charlton away some moons ago.

And that was only because the people I was with had had enough.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Jun 2022 13:24

Reverse of leaving early - took my grandad to a game some years back for his birthday.

After Lukaku put WBA 2-0, he wanted to leave as the cold was starting to get to him a bit. I suggested we hang on for 5 more mins and if nothing happened, we'd go. Then we pulled one back...
Last edited by Stranded on 20 Jun 2022 13:29, edited 1 time in total.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 20 Jun 2022 13:28

Stranded Reverse of leaving early - took my grandad to a game some years back for his birthday.

After Lukaku but WBA 2-0, he wanted to leave as the cold was starting to get to him a bit. I suggested we hang on for 5 more mins and if nothing happened, we'd go. Then we pulled one back...

Stranded
Scutterbucketz My mate left just before we got the late winner against West Brom a few years back. The twat!

I’ve left at halftime before when it was freezing fukking cold on a Tuesday night and we were 3-0 down. To Portsmouth, if memory serves.

Took my grandad to that 3-2 PL WBA game. He was really feeling the cold and at 2-0 wanted to go, persuaded him to hand on for 5 mins and we got 1 back, so we stayed til the end. Both glad we did.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 20 Jun 2022 13:29

My one from recent years was leaving when we went 1-0 down to Forest in the 95th minute a few years ago. I was going for a piss when we equalised and couldn't make out whether we'd scored, they'd scored, or the full time whistle had gone.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Jun 2022 13:30

URZZZZZZZZ
Stranded Reverse of leaving early - took my grandad to a game some years back for his birthday.

After Lukaku but WBA 2-0, he wanted to leave as the cold was starting to get to him a bit. I suggested we hang on for 5 more mins and if nothing happened, we'd go. Then we pulled one back...

Stranded
Scutterbucketz My mate left just before we got the late winner against West Brom a few years back. The twat!

I’ve left at halftime before when it was freezing fukking cold on a Tuesday night and we were 3-0 down. To Portsmouth, if memory serves.

Took my grandad to that 3-2 PL WBA game. He was really feeling the cold and at 2-0 wanted to go, persuaded him to hand on for 5 mins and we got 1 back, so we stayed til the end. Both glad we did.

Not surprised I've posted that before to be fair - very happy memory of a great day out with my grandad.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 20 Jun 2022 13:40

Stranded
SouthDownsRoyal I only leave games early if the result is in no doubt on say 87mins

Out of interest, what is the criteria you have in your mind for not in doubt? 2 goal lead or more?

Just thinking of say that 2-2 against Chelsea, where we were 2 down on 87 - no doubt about the result that night. No plan is foolproof.

When I went regularly, if I left early it was just based on how I felt things were going to pan out - made the odd mistake but hey ho. Sat at the top of the East, so normally just wondered down and took a seat nearer the bottom that had already been vacated and watch the last few mins from there.

I base it on the score line, the time left, gut feeling and how great my desire is to get ahead of the crowds on any given day really

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 20 Jun 2022 13:40

After Lukaku put WBA 2-0, he wanted to leave as the cold was starting to get to him a bit. I suggested we hang on for 5 more mins and if nothing happened, we'd go. Then we pulled one back...

Anyone else on the coach to Barnsley in the 80’s
Arriving last because of traffic we listened to the first 15 minutes or so on the radio
2-0 up and then we arrived and got in
Oh dear, we only saw the 5 Barnsley goals including an absolute screamer by Steve Richardson

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by URZZZZZZZZ » 20 Jun 2022 15:21

Stranded
URZZZZZZZZ

Stranded

Not surprised I've posted that before to be fair - very happy memory of a great day out with my grandad.

I can believe that, football does a great job of providing such memories with those we love.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jun 2022 18:37

I think I've switched off early. Or just not turned on if I've been running late and seen a bad score.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 20 Jun 2022 19:03

I don't really get why people are in such a rush to get back though. I mean, even if the difference in traffic is like 30 minutes, who has such an exciting life that you want to miss the game in order to save it? Especially when you can spend that time listening to BBC Berks or something, it's not like it's wasted. It's just part of life.

I have on two occasions left my seat early - both of them where when me and a mate were on a sesh and we were losing so badly at half time that we decided we'd rather rather find somewhere to drink than go back to our seats. Both times the game was on tv so we could carry on watching it.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 20 Jun 2022 19:04

I don't really get why people are in such a rush to get back though. I mean, even if the difference in traffic is like 30 minutes, who has such an exciting life that you want to miss the game in order to save it? Especially when you can spend that time listening to BBC Berks or something, it's not like it's wasted. It's just part of life.

I have on two occasions left my seat early - both of them where when me and a mate were on a sesh and we were losing so badly at half time that we decided we'd rather rather find somewhere to drink than go back to our seats. Both times the game was on tv so we could carry on watching it.