BFG QPR

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFG QPR

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Mar 2018 23:15

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Zip Blackett 7 One terrible clearance in the first half. Otherwise he played well

and

"but a couple of lapses."

and

"made a couple of mistakes but"

3 of the 4 of the reports on TB can't be wrong, he unsurprisingly made noticeable mistakes.

I don't wish to be negative for what was a fantastic fight and result but as always with mistakes in the back they either don't matter or they REALLY matter. I can't stand liabilities in goal or in defence and he clearly is still one. If Clement can iron this out of him I'm sure he'll make a fantastic player as he has many other qualities.

He was anything but a liability today.

Awayawayaway

by Awayawayaway » 30 Mar 2018 23:21

We went forward. We were combative in midfield and we were winning our battles at the back.

Enjoyed it for the first time in months.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 30 Mar 2018 23:27

2 world wars, 1 world cup Sounded on the radio like the one difference here was the fight the players suddenly found in them. I wonder how many points this sort of fight is worth in a season. In this game it was probably worth at least 2 if not 3 points.

The team played with the same intensity in the away win at Burton Albion. Though failed to replicate this in the next game.

Edwards committed another stupid offence that night as well which gifted a penalty (and a goal).

CavershamRoyal

by CavershamRoyal » 30 Mar 2018 23:27

Zip
CavershamRoyal Still haven't won at home on a Saturday this season - Clement out.

In all seriousness it was a fantastic result, but we did ride our luck at times. QPR could've had at least one or two in the first half, and we offered very little offensively in the second half.

Still, there were obvious signs of improvement which is encouraging considering how little time Clement has had with the team. Lots of very well timed challenges on the ground, as well as not being afraid to kick it upfield instead of nervously passing it across the back four. Also some glimpses of what could be a very good counter-attack with Barrow and Aluko, though it never quite clicked in the final third.

Aluko's goal was superb, certainly the best I've seen at the Madejski for a while - McCleary's vs. Burnely a few years ago is probably the only one I can think of which comes close.

Ilori looked a lot better than usual, and even Blackett was fairly solid (albeit one mistake where he sliced the ball back into our box which forced Mannone into making a save at the feet of one of their strikers). I thought Gunter was superb defensively.

Edwards and Joey both disappointed, the former seemed very off the pace getting caught in possession a few times and the latter still causes my blood pressure to sky rocket every time he goes into a tackle. One of his challenges in the first half would've been more at home in a London Irish game. Yann and Martin were both pretty anonymous during their respective times on the pitch (apart from when Yann was sent off, of course...).

Speaking of the sending off - thought the ref was fine first half but very poor second. Though it did cause the crowd to get a bit animated which was much more enjoyable than usual!

Overall, a very good win which eases the immediate pressure and creates a healthy gap to 22nd, but it probably masked an average performance which we'll need to improve upon in the future.

Kelly’s goal v Derby a few weeks ago was up there with Aluko’s. Surprised you thought Gunter was superb. He gave their wideman all the space in the world.

True, only remembered Kelly's after I wrote that post, though I think Aluko's beats it for the work he had to do passing the defenders and then the spectacular finish.

I was at the back of the ED stand so was harder to see how Gunter did in the second half, but I thought he put in a few very good tackles and showed a lot more determination in defence than usual.

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 30 Mar 2018 23:36

What a difference from the dirge we have watched for the last 18 months. Same players and just remember, Clements first game after 1 week in charge. It's going to get better people. my voice is fu**ed.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 30 Mar 2018 23:40

Let's not carried away. Same faultlines still present in spades. QPR should have scored at least 2 in first half and looked a far more cohesive team..

But still, fcuk 'em. Bodies on the line and passion won the day. The quality should follow, I hope.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 30 Mar 2018 23:41

+1

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 30 Mar 2018 23:48

I don't even give most of the blame to Blackett for that mentioned clearance. I felt he was passed the ball onto his weaker foot under pressure.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 30 Mar 2018 23:52

Welcome back Reading FC . On a terrible wet cold night those that ventured the elements were rewarded with a dogged determined defensive display that won three precious points against the vast run of play for QPR but will do wonders for the teams confidence and morale.

There was a completely different feeling in the stadium, like a huge black cloud had been lifted .

We still probably need a huge team shake up but great start for PC.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 Mar 2018 00:37

Platypuss Let's not carried away. Same faultlines still present in spades. QPR should have scored at least 2 in first half and looked a far more cohesive team..

But still, fcuk 'em. Bodies on the line and passion won the day. The quality should follow, I hope.

Agreed. QPR are in the bottom half and should really have won today. The stats confirm we had just 5 attempts at goal. They had a staggering 27. They dominated possession with 67%. We still switched off painfully at times. From one corner they had a player completely unmarked.
Loads to work on and we remain far from safe.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 Mar 2018 00:38

[quote="Gunny Fishcake"]Welcome back Reading FC . On a terrible wet cold night those that ventured the elements were rewarded with a dogged determined defensive display that won three precious points against the vast run of play for QPR but will do wonders for the teams confidence and morale.

There was a completely different feeling in the stadium, like a huge black cloud had been lifted .

We still probably need a huge team shake up but great start for PC.[/quote

Great atmosphere towards the end. The best we have had all season.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 31 Mar 2018 02:49

CavershamRoyal
Zip
CavershamRoyal Still haven't won at home on a Saturday this season - Clement out.

In all seriousness it was a fantastic result, but we did ride our luck at times. QPR could've had at least one or two in the first half, and we offered very little offensively in the second half.

Still, there were obvious signs of improvement which is encouraging considering how little time Clement has had with the team. Lots of very well timed challenges on the ground, as well as not being afraid to kick it upfield instead of nervously passing it across the back four. Also some glimpses of what could be a very good counter-attack with Barrow and Aluko, though it never quite clicked in the final third.

Aluko's goal was superb, certainly the best I've seen at the Madejski for a while - McCleary's vs. Burnely a few years ago is probably the only one I can think of which comes close.

Ilori looked a lot better than usual, and even Blackett was fairly solid (albeit one mistake where he sliced the ball back into our box which forced Mannone into making a save at the feet of one of their strikers). I thought Gunter was superb defensively.

Edwards and Joey both disappointed, the former seemed very off the pace getting caught in possession a few times and the latter still causes my blood pressure to sky rocket every time he goes into a tackle. One of his challenges in the first half would've been more at home in a London Irish game. Yann and Martin were both pretty anonymous during their respective times on the pitch (apart from when Yann was sent off, of course...).

Speaking of the sending off - thought the ref was fine first half but very poor second. Though it did cause the crowd to get a bit animated which was much more enjoyable than usual!

Overall, a very good win which eases the immediate pressure and creates a healthy gap to 22nd, but it probably masked an average performance which we'll need to improve upon in the future.

Kelly’s goal v Derby a few weeks ago was up there with Aluko’s. Surprised you thought Gunter was superb. He gave their wideman all the space in the world.

True, only remembered Kelly's after I wrote that post, though I think Aluko's beats it for the work he had to do passing the defenders and then the spectacular finish.

I was at the back of the ED stand so was harder to see how Gunter did in the second half, but I thought he put in a few very good tackles and showed a lot more determination in defence than usual.

Joey’s thunderbolt against Barnsley was also quite special

Back to the game. Noticeable that both full backs didn’t bomb forward as much today, and Barrow and Aluko played deeper too. Looked a lot like a 4-5-1 formation for a lot of the first half and more compact. Just demonstrates how open we were under Stam with little defensive cover from midfield.

Similar type of performance to Burton away, both games played in very wet conditions. The team tried to eliminate errors as much as possible and didn’t fanny around at the back. Not one short goal kick all game and noticeable that Mannone was coming 20 yards out of his box to launch free kicks forward. That wasn’t a tactic deployed by Stam.

Martin is dog shite.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 31 Mar 2018 03:20

Not getting carried away like the muppets on BBCRB. QPR dominated that game and must be wondering how they didn't get anything out of it. Great goal by Aluka but we just sat back and invited them on to us. Over run in midfield there number 7 ran rings round us.
Can't fault the effort and determination but we will still need to play better to have any chance of staying up.

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 31 Mar 2018 04:52

Game of 2 halves (well a quarter and three quarters really). Our forwards were really good first half, especially Aluko and Barrow who kept asking the questions and putting them on the back foot however I thought our defence was decidedly shaky, Iluko and Blackett in particular. I messaged my brother at half time suggesting Blackett should look for another job, it wasn't just one clearance it was short, poorly chosen passes that got us under pressure multiple times.

And then something bloody amazing happened at half time, Clement with some obviously inspired words of wisdom and the defence looked like a bloody wall, Blackett outstanding second half, Iluko and Moore played the half that we all they had in them, think Gunter gave his man too much space a few times but that was guts and commitment. Great stuff.

Genuinely think our 2 biggest problems are confidence which is understandable given the run, and, more importantly, fitness. Granted the team gave their all but we really were knackered way too early, get to the end of this season, have a proper pre-season next time round and I think this team can really push for the top again.

Final note, it doesn't show on the highlights but as they were preparing to take the penalty Blackett signalled to Mannone which way to dive from the edge of the box, he very deliberately did it and he made sure Mannone had seen him. Well done that man!

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 31 Mar 2018 05:05

It's Illori, not Illuko.

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 31 Mar 2018 05:48

tidus_mi2 It's Illori, not Illuko.

Lol. Thanks :)

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 31 Mar 2018 07:02

I cannot really add much to what has already been said other than the ref was their twelfth man.
He must be devastated the fakies got nothing out of that.

How on earth was that not a foul on Barrow on the lead up to the penalty. He was bloody poleaxed by their player.
Very Very poor game.

Rusty royal

by Rusty royal » 31 Mar 2018 07:26

I hope it was the conditions that caused Barrow to have a poor game, If I recall Clement got rid of him after 1 game at Swansea and fear he may not like playing for Clement :shock:

A good game at long last at the Mad Stad this season, much more fight and determination against a team that seemed to be only able to foul there way to winning the ball. Several of their players should have been booked in the first half, but the ref seemed to turn a blind eye.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 31 Mar 2018 07:57

Zip
Platypuss Let's not carried away. Same faultlines still present in spades. QPR should have scored at least 2 in first half and looked a far more cohesive team..

Agreed. QPR are in the bottom half and should really have won today. The stats confirm we had just 5 attempts at goal. They had a staggering 27. They dominated possession with 67%. We still switched off painfully at times. From one corner they had a player completely unmarked.
Loads to work on and we remain far from safe.

27 shots but only 3 of them were on target. A lot of them were long range shots blocked by the back line. 14 blocks in fact.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 Mar 2018 08:25

We played like the away side today looking to catch them on the break. That’s fine for now as we look to fight our way out of trouble. I would want Clement to be more ambitious next season though.