240 posts
TiagoIlori

CONFIMRED - John O’shea signs for Reading

by TiagoIlori » 03 Jun 2018 22:46

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: RUMOUR- John O’shea set to sign for Reading

by From Despair To Where? » 03 Jun 2018 23:07

Not sure what he could really offer playing wise beyond cover but with a view to doing his badges and joining the coaching staff, it could make sense.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 03 Jun 2018 23:12

I have no words.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 03 Jun 2018 23:40

maffff I have no words.

You just wrote four right there

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 03 Jun 2018 23:58

We just need a Burton centre half to complete the lousy trinity.

alfie9

by alfie9 » 04 Jun 2018 00:44

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Jun 2018 07:02

As a player or a coach or a tea boy this would be one of the worst signings ever made by Reading Football Club. The guy is a known loser and a complete has-been.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Jun 2018 07:06

Certainly a strange one. Guessing it’s more about having him as coach than a player

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 04 Jun 2018 07:44

Genuinely quite excited to see this team next season :

Mannone
Gunter oshea mcshane blackett
Aluko Edwards vdb popa
Kermorgant bodvarsson

rob_dawson

by rob_dawson » 04 Jun 2018 08:47

Simon's Church Genuinely quite excited to see this team next season :

Mannone
Gunter oshea mcshane blackett
Aluko Edwards vdb popa
Kermorgant bodvarsson

I thought you were serious, and then I noticed Blackett in the squad.

:lol: good one m8

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Jun 2018 09:17

Old Man Andrews As a player or a coach or a tea boy this would be one of the worst signings ever made by Reading Football Club. The guy is a known loser and a complete has-been.

ha, a known loser who has over 400 prem appearances (and nearly 400 for Man U in all comps) and 100 internationals. Wish I was as much of a loser as that.

agree on the has-been bit though
Last edited by Hound on 04 Jun 2018 09:18, edited 1 time in total.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Jun 2018 09:18

Hound
Old Man Andrews As a player or a coach or a tea boy this would be one of the worst signings ever made by Reading Football Club. The guy is a known loser and a complete has-been.

ha, a known loser who has over 400 prem appearances and 100 internationals. Wish I was as much of a loser as that.

More of a reference to his recent relegations with Sunderland......

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 Jun 2018 09:19

Can play anywhere across the back. Brings a wealth of experience at the highest level. At 37 though I can't think even Reading would play him as anything other than cover for defensive positions. If he's a regular from the start then, IMO, we have big problems.

As a free transfer and primarily with a view to step up into a coaching role though? Possibly worth a shot.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 04 Jun 2018 09:35

Old Man Andrews
Hound

ha, a known loser who has over 400 prem appearances and 100 internationals. Wish I was as much of a loser as that.

Two bad seasons?

Sunderland are a basket case, I would say O'Shea's fault was minimal. In fact, I've read comments from Sunderland fans that he's been their best defender during that time (which is probably damning with faint praise, but whatever)

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Jun 2018 09:37

He is seen as a bit of a poster boy for Sunderland's slide, I am not a massive fan of this move as can't overly see the logic but hopefully out of the problem club that is Sunderland we may well see, hopefully not on a regular basis, the player that made so many apperance for Man Utd at a time they were clearly the best team in the country.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 04 Jun 2018 09:38

Easily one of the worst performers in the league last year - a great deal of the goals Sunderland conceded last year were from set pieces where the whole back four were just static. O'Shea was marshaling that. He can't come here.

If this is the level of ambition we are showing then it really won't be long before we're in League One

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 04 Jun 2018 09:43

All this fretting is laughable. He is being bought in as a leader and for his personality. Just as Yiadom and I suspect elphick will be. Clement has been very clear he wants more leaders in dressing room.

He’ll be back up and on hand when we need a steady influence. And he gets a chance to develop as a coach. Having experienced Ferguson as a manager.

For one year it’s a no lose move really. Aluko on a 4 year contract is far more concerning!

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 04 Jun 2018 09:44

John Smith If this is the level of ambition we are showing then it really won't be long before we're in League One

You are aware the transfer window doesn't shut for two months, right?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Jun 2018 09:44

genome
Old Man Andrews
Hound

Two bad seasons?

Sunderland are a basket case, I would say O'Shea's fault was minimal. In fact, I've read comments from Sunderland fans that he's been their best defender during that time (which is probably damning with faint praise, but whatever)

More than two.

I have seen him play as I am sure you have, he's well past the level necessary to play in the Championship. Not sure what you have been reading regarding the Sunderland supporters but from what I have seen on social media they appear to be laughing at us. We have an experienced international defender and leader in Paul McShane so why bring in a 37 year old who has been on his way out for the last 5 years? (unless McShane is leaving then the move becomes slightly more understandable). I am not happy about him signing on the count it stifles our youth prospects. Holmes and Andresson should be the ones stepping in to the squad as back up, not John O'Shea.

If he is coming in purely as a coach then I can't knock that too much, he'd be an unknown in that sense so you have to have an open mind on that front.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 04 Jun 2018 09:55

Old Man Andrews
genome
Old Man Andrews

Two bad seasons?

More than two.

I have seen him play as I am sure you have, he's well past the level necessary to play in the Championship. Not sure what you have been reading regarding the Sunderland supporters but from what I have seen on social media they appear to be laughing at us. We have an experienced international defender and leader in Paul McShane so why bring in a 37 year old who has been on his way out for the last 5 years? (unless McShane is leaving then the move becomes slightly more understandable). I am not happy about him signing on the count it stifles our youth prospects. Holmes and Andresson should be the ones stepping in to the squad as back up, not John O'Shea.

If he is coming in purely as a coach then I can't knock that too much, he'd be an unknown in that sense so you have to have an open mind on that front.

I imagine he will be sort of a player-coach, and he probably won't play much. I don't think you can compare Paul McShane to John O'Shea though in terms of experience though... O'Shea has 5 Premier League winners' medals and a Champions League medal.

He's certainly not coming to replace Liam Moore, as some have said

240 posts