Palace(H) friendly Saturday July 28th

168 posts
Uke
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Palace(H) friendly Saturday July 28th

by Uke » 30 Jul 2018 13:35

sandman Sooooo many academy players have come through to play regularly since we initially implemented this style when Adkins came in that we haven't wasted time at all. This style is outdated, teams adapted to it long ago whilst we're still clumsily trying to implement it five years after we first tried when the Russian sacked McDermott.

Just Googled for the latest news about the Russian...
https://en.crimerussia.com/financialcri ... r-4-years/

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 30 Jul 2018 13:56

Snowball
Readingfanman
Snowball From memory W2 D2 L2 for the last six games of 2017-18, 8 points from 6 games
and one of those draws away to Cardiff who got automatic promotion.

W2 D2 L2 equates to a 61 point season, 12th last year

Considering how bad it was going into those six games, that is a miracle

Our actual last 6 results:

Reading 1-0 Preston
Fulham 1-0 Reading
Reading 2-2 Sunderland
Sheff Weds 3-0 Reading
Reading 0-4 Ipswich
Reading 0-0 Cardiff

5 points from 6 - the equivalent of a 38 point season and not much better than we already were doing, being generous and including his first 2 games as well takes it to 8 points from 8, a 46 point season and finishing one spot higher than we did (on GD).

My bad. I thought Clement had only managed for 6 games and I knew
we'd won two. I misread the Fulham result.

Of course we beat QPR in the previous game, so 8 points from 7 games! "=" 52/53 post season 17/18th. 8 or 9 places above where we finished

The previous game to Fulham wasn't QPR, it was away to Villa - we lost that 3-0.

Suggest you start with the facts (or even read the post you're quoting...) before extrapolating again?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Jul 2018 14:12

Platypuss
Snowball
Readingfanman Our actual last 6 results:

Reading 1-0 Preston
Fulham 1-0 Reading
Reading 2-2 Sunderland
Sheff Weds 3-0 Reading
Reading 0-4 Ipswich
Reading 0-0 Cardiff

5 points from 6 - the equivalent of a 38 point season and not much better than we already were doing, being generous and including his first 2 games as well takes it to 8 points from 8, a 46 point season and finishing one spot higher than we did (on GD).

My bad. I thought Clement had only managed for 6 games and I knew
we'd won two. I misread the Fulham result.

Of course we beat QPR in the previous game, so 8 points from 7 games! "=" 52/53 post season 17/18th. 8 or 9 places above where we finished

The previous game to Fulham wasn't QPR, it was away to Villa - we lost that 3-0.

Suggest you start with the facts (or even read the post you're quoting...) before extrapolating again?

Oh god the burn. I feel like I'm getting contact wounds just reading it!

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 30 Jul 2018 14:45

OK here goes.....I just wonder if, (run for cover) we might have been better to have sacked Stam and risked relegation with a caretaker manager rather than bring in Clement. There were a few decent managers about this summer.
Interesting the man I would have liked is not having a good start at Swansea. Appears the board there have tightened the purse strings and screwed him over. He has effectively been left with Clements team and have no wins in their 6 friendlies either making just one signing this summer...a free from Sunderland whilst having a massive clearout.
Anyone know if we are up or down ST saleswise?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Jul 2018 14:47

The Swansea team isnt really Clement's team though is it? Not like he was able to go out and buy a load of players when he was there. Derby maybe.

They should still have plenty enough quality there to have a good season if Potter is any good

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 30 Jul 2018 15:03

Ascotexgunner OK here goes.....I just wonder if, (run for cover) we might have been better to have sacked Stam and risked relegation with a caretaker manager rather than bring in Clement. There were a few decent managers about this summer.
Interesting the man I would have liked is not having a good start at Swansea. Appears the board there have tightened the purse strings and screwed him over. He has effectively been left with Clements team and have no wins in their 6 friendlies either making just one signing this summer...a free from Sunderland whilst having a massive clearout.

We don't have enough information on how Clement's doing to know whether he's the right appointment yet. His 8 games with us so far shouldn't come into the equation. Granted some of the results were awful but he got us over the line, and had to do it with a mentally and physically shattered squad.

We'll know about 8-10 games into the season. And even then, if we don't invest much money between now and the end of the window, there's a case for him not being properly backed, as you mention.

Esteban

by Esteban » 30 Jul 2018 15:43

genome
Ascotexgunner OK here goes.....I just wonder if, (run for cover) we might have been better to have sacked Stam and risked relegation with a caretaker manager rather than bring in Clement. There were a few decent managers about this summer.

We don't have enough information on how Clement's doing to know whether he's the right appointment yet. His 8 games with us so far shouldn't come into the equation. Granted some of the results were awful but he got us over the line, and had to do it with a mentally and physically shattered squad.

We'll know about 8-10 games into the season. And even then, if we don't invest much money between now and the end of the window, there's a case for him not being properly backed, as you mention.

I think we're feeling the pinch of FFP. It would take tens of millions of pounds worth of investment to get us up and avoid FFP penalties for the foreseeable future. It's a huge risk, so until the finances satisfy FFP again, I don't think we'll see much investment without player sales. That makes it very difficult to truly critique Clement's tenure, so it's probably best not to try and just get behind the team.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Jul 2018 15:46

I think thats a very fair post.

We gambled on getting promo last season by spending pretty big and it blew up in our face. PC is suffering for that now to an extent, but we clearly need to rid the squad of more deadwood

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 30 Jul 2018 15:53

It makes Gourlay's comments about Clement having money to spend all the more puzzling

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 30 Jul 2018 16:02

genome It makes Gourlay's comments about Clement having money to spend all the more puzzling

Is that true?

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 30 Jul 2018 16:09

A bit late but Saturday's performance was TOOTHLESS in all departments. From what I have seen across pre season, this team is no different to last years stylewise. Make no drastic changes and we are going to be in for one long season.

Granted we were playing a solid Premier League team and a world class player in Zaha but I would still expect us to have a few chances/half chances at the very least.

I thought we created more with 2 up front so I'm all for that on Friday but still how many times are the majority of our players going to pass on responsibility rather than trying to be bold on the ball? (Barrow and Kelly exempt from this list of players)

We don't need the perfect goal, we don't need to wait until we are in the box either just have a go if a shot is on! Mcnulty had a skied effort in the second half from an ambitious angle but I liked the fact that he had a go and was brave.

Its time for all of the team to be bold be brave on the ball. These little 5 yard passes to your team mates across the back do not win you points, I am behind the team but they need to do themselves a favor and get the fans on their feet, technically they are more than good enough but for too long they have not shown it. Until then we are seriously going to struggle on and off the pitch, no one is going to pay £25 or whatever it is to see Mcshane pass to Gunter to Mcshane and then back to Mannone.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 30 Jul 2018 16:13

Lol @ Zaha being “world class” :lol:

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 30 Jul 2018 16:40

CountryRoyal Lol @ Zaha being “world class” :lol:

Would you not agree he was against us? On his day, he could rip most teams a new one.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 30 Jul 2018 16:55

Esteban I think we're feeling the pinch of FFP. It would take tens of millions of pounds worth of investment to get us up and avoid FFP penalties for the foreseeable future. It's a huge risk, so until the finances satisfy FFP again, I don't think we'll see much investment without player sales. That makes it very difficult to truly critique Clement's tenure, so it's probably best not to try and just get behind the team.

Do you have hard numbers to back up your assertions?

I'm no expert on FFP, and haven't come across too many that are. Maybe you are? Anymore, I'm often not even sure how much we spend on each transfer because so much of the details and payment plans are hidden, undisclosed, etc.

Why would it take "tens of millions of pounds to get us up"? We never had that 2 years ago on the way to a playoff final.

How and why are we even buying the players and spending the money that we are currently? Why did Gourlay allude to a potential spending spree this Summer? Overall, there really hasn't been too much from the club about how skint we are, how there's no money to spend, etc. At least not to the extent that completely jives with your narrative, anyway. Again, if you have concrete inside info to the contrary, let us know. Thanks.

That being said, I'm not saying I think our finances are all roses. They rarely are, or have been. About the first time I heard anything from the club about this was during last season when Stam said the club is currently hamstrung to an extent following years of miss-money management. He took a lot of heat for that, including being called a liar.

On to Clement. Are you saying all this was kept and hidden from him when signed on? So, he is 'suffering' now as a result of (then) ignorance? Or are you saying he was told absolutely that there is no money available? In which case, why did he come here? He must have liked what he saw, no? Whether that be our financial predicament, the squad he would inherit, or whatever.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Jul 2018 17:25

How about "intercontinental class"?
He's certainly not an average player.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Jul 2018 17:34

NewCorkSeth

World class is an odd term. Not sure exactly what it means - but he is a seriously good player, way above anything we’d see on a normal Saturday afternoon, and one of the best players outside the top 6 in the Prem

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Jul 2018 17:38

Hound
NewCorkSeth

World class is an odd term. Not sure exactly what it means - but he is a seriously good player, way above anything we’d see on a normal Saturday afternoon, and one of the best players outside the top 6 in the Prem

I'd tend to agree hound. I can understand reserving "world class" for players of Ronaldo, Messi, Bendtner quality but Zaha is about as good a player you can see outside of elite clubs.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 30 Jul 2018 17:43

No he’s not an average player but nor is he world class, there is stuff in between. As others have said world class should be reserved for the best of the best, your Messis, Ronaldos, etc.

Zaha is a very good player, nothing more nothing less.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jul 2018 17:51

sandman Sooooo many academy players have come through to play regularly since we initially implemented this style when Adkins came in that we haven't wasted time at all. This style is outdated, teams adapted to it long ago whilst we're still clumsily trying to implement it five years after we first tried when the Russian sacked McDermott.

Watson, Richards, Kuhl, Tish, Stacey, Fosu, Keown, Tanner, Kelly, Smith, Rinomhota, Barrett, Taylor, Hector, Obita. All appeared in the first team in that time.

By all means, you are of course entitled to disagree with how we're trying to play and want us to change it.

What you can't do is say Clement has disappointed or failef because he hasn't changed our style. Because that's not what he's been asked to do. It's just a sign that you have absolutely unrealistic expectations.

I use you in a general way, not specifically directed at you sandy.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Jul 2018 17:52

Does world class then basically mean best in the world? And how many players does that extend to - 10?

168 posts