Ex Players

3097 posts
3points
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Ex Players

by 3points » 26 May 2019 08:40

It was rumoured that Drenthe was on £100k per week. Ian Harte made some form of reference to it.

Jason Roberts was fully fit in his final season but refused to play apparently after he’d triggered his contract extension as he didn’t want to tarnish his reputation as he knew his best days were behind him.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 28 May 2019 21:02

Not an ex player as such, but Steven Reid has joined up with Steve Clarke in the Scotland set up.

https://www.the42.ie/steven-reid-steve- ... =shortlink

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 May 2019 22:09

3points It was rumoured that Drenthe was on £100k per week. Ian Harte made some form of reference to it.

Jason Roberts was fully fit in his final season but refused to play apparently after he’d triggered his contract extension as he didn’t want to tarnish his reputation as he knew his best days were behind him.

Both of those sound like absolute bollox. £100k a week in the Championship? Do me a favour. Even Villa weren't paying anyone that much.

Refusing to play and Roberts would be in breach of his contract and just sacked.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 29 May 2019 07:29

Snowflake Royal
3points It was rumoured that Drenthe was on £100k per week. Ian Harte made some form of reference to it.

Both of those sound like absolute bollox. £100k a week in the Championship? Do me a favour. Even Villa weren't paying anyone that much.

Refusing to play and Roberts would be in breach of his contract and just sacked.

Sounds mental but then Anton was a complete turd so totally possible. We signed him on a free after all - so £100k per week is like buying a player for £5.2 million per year ... given Anton thought we'd be playing Champions League soon that was probably seen as a good deal.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 29 May 2019 11:36

Royalwaster
Snowflake Royal

Sounds mental but then Anton was a complete turd so totally possible. We signed him on a free after all - so £100k per week is like buying a player for £5.2 million per year ... given Anton thought we'd be playing Champions League soon that was probably seen as a good deal.

I'd rate the Drenthe wage as extremely unlikely, but theoretically possible. But the Roberts rumour is hogwash definitely. The club would have been delighted to have a such a blatant reason to get rid of Roberts.

So, given that "fact" is complete nonsense, on the balance of probabilities, so is the other one.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 May 2019 13:28

I see no reason to believe that Roberts would ‘refuse’ to play. That would be much more damaging to his reputation than to adapt his approach as he drew towards the end of his career. What ‘reputation’ would he worry about ? It’s not exactly unusual for players to slow up as they get older !
Having said that back injuries are very difficult to diagnose and easy to keep having ‘twinges’.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 29 May 2019 19:22

Nameless I see no reason to believe that Roberts would ‘refuse’ to play. That would be much more damaging to his reputation than to adapt his approach as he drew towards the end of his career. What ‘reputation’ would he worry about ? It’s not exactly unusual for players to slow up as they get older !
Having said that back injuries are very difficult to diagnose and easy to keep having ‘twinges’.

Are you talking generally or specifically? Because, I thought Roberts had a hip injury.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 29 May 2019 20:02

muirinho
Royalwaster
Snowflake Royal Both of those sound like absolute bollox. £100k a week in the Championship? Do me a favour. Even Villa weren't paying anyone that much.

I'd rate the Drenthe wage as extremely unlikely, but theoretically possible. But the Roberts rumour is hogwash definitely. The club would have been delighted to have a such a blatant reason to get rid of Roberts.

So, given that "fact" is complete nonsense, on the balance of probabilities, so is the other one.

Roberts came direct from a director of the club at the time.

I think the Drenthe one is a bit high but remember Pog was on £60k pw on a 4 year contract. Harte said something like it was unbelievable or people would be amazed. Can’t remember the quote or why he made it. Anyone else remember it?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 May 2019 20:07

3points
muirinho
Royalwaster

I think the Drenthe one is a bit high but remember Pog was on £60k pw on a 4 year contract

In the PL, assuming that figure was right, which was never confirmed from what I remember.

I hope the Director is no longer at the club, because either they're Billy Bullshit, or just plain incompetent.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 29 May 2019 20:16

Snowflake Royal
3points
muirinho I'd rate the Drenthe wage as extremely unlikely, but theoretically possible. But the Roberts rumour is hogwash definitely. The club would have been delighted to have a such a blatant reason to get rid of Roberts.

I think the Drenthe one is a bit high but remember Pog was on £60k pw on a 4 year contract

In the PL, assuming that figure was right, which was never confirmed from what I remember.

I hope the Director is no longer at the club, because either they're Billy Bullshit, or just plain incompetent.

It is what it is. We will never actually know as none of us were there at the time

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 29 May 2019 20:29

muirinho Because, I thought Roberts had a “hip injury”.

Corrected for you :D

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 31 May 2019 14:25

Matt Mills has returned from India and has signed for Forest Green Rovers. He will play alongside his brother, Joseph. FGR seem to making a habit of signing Royals either permanent or loan.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 31 May 2019 14:29

The Royal Forester Matt Mills has returned from India and has signed for Forest Green Rovers. He will play alongside his brother, Joseph. FGR seem to making a habit of signing Royals either permanent or loan.

No wonder they can't get promoted.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 31 May 2019 20:33

Anyone remember Keith Knight? Hero of the golden seasons between 1988-90? Well, his son, Tom, has been selected for the England under 20 rugby team.

Thought you all needed to know.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 31 May 2019 20:46

Jerry St Clair Anyone remember Keith Knight? Hero of the golden seasons between 1988-90? Well, his son, Tom, has been selected for the England under 20 rugby team.

I remember Keith Knight! Came from Cheltenham when they were non-league and was a busy sort of midfield terrier who covered the ground but nothing spectacular. Was quite small but athletic, and looked like a rugby scrum or fly half, is that wear his son plays by any chance?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Jun 2019 09:33

Mr Optimist
Jerry St Clair Anyone remember Keith Knight? Hero of the golden seasons between 1988-90? Well, his son, Tom, has been selected for the England under 20 rugby team.

I remember Keith Knight! Came from Cheltenham when they were non-league and was a busy sort of midfield terrier who covered the ground but nothing spectacular. Was quite small but athletic, and looked like a rugby scrum or fly half, is that wear his son plays by any chance?

Scored in his debut I seem to recall. Also weren’t Sunderland rumoured to be after him at some point?

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 03 Jun 2019 09:50

Mr Optimist

You are correct, sir! Knight jnr is a scrum half.

Keith is somewhat of a legend at Cheltenham. He's a local lad and still lives round here and he was part of the side that won the FA Trophy and promotion to the Football League in the late 90s. He probably played against Reading in the FA Cup tie in 1998 which went to a replay.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 03 Jun 2019 09:51

Sutekh
Mr Optimist

Scored in his debut I seem to recall. Also weren’t Sunderland rumoured to be after him at some point?

Yes and yes. Wikipedia says his Sunderland move was scuppered by a hernia.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 06 Jun 2019 07:20

https://www.stadiumtalk.com/s/worst-transfers-premier-league-history-6caad174a33f48e2?utm_campaign=transferspremier-c7dde42831644644&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=fac&utm_content=651669

Came across this surprise inclusion of Bobby Mikhailov in a list of worst Premier league transfers...

He wasnt that bad for us??

Remember him being great in Champ Man 2 ;-)

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 06 Jun 2019 07:37

Ignoring the obvious fact that it's impossible for him to be in the top 50 worst Premier League signings, did he really cost £800,000? I thought it was about £250,000.

3097 posts