Ex Players

3127 posts
muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Ex Players

by muirinho » 14 Jan 2021 17:30

NewCorkSeth
South Coast Royal
NewCorkSeth Lots of Charlton fans complaining about Gunter now on twitter. They say he doesn't close down his man and have no idea why he keeps getting selected. Uncanny.

Well, well, well what a surprise.
Next stop Newport or Wrexham?

Just incredible that the valid criticism that many of us leveled at Gunter for years, yet was dismissed by many, has been noticed within half a season by another fan base.

you mean the section of the fanbase that would ignore the uptick in results since he joined Charlton, but blame him when the club loses a couple of games in a row. That section?

yeah, every club has them. What's new?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Jan 2021 18:30

muirinho
NewCorkSeth
South Coast Royal
Well, well, well what a surprise.
Next stop Newport or Wrexham?

Just incredible that the valid criticism that many of us leveled at Gunter for years, yet was dismissed by many, has been noticed within half a season by another fan base.

you mean the section of the fanbase that would ignore the uptick in results since he joined Charlton, but blame him when the club loses a couple of games in a row. That section?

Weren't they in the Championship last season?

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 14 Jan 2021 22:23

NewCorkSeth
muirinho
NewCorkSeth Just incredible that the valid criticism that many of us leveled at Gunter for years, yet was dismissed by many, has been noticed within half a season by another fan base.

Yes. You know he didn't join at the start of the season, don't you?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Jan 2021 08:17

muirinho
NewCorkSeth
muirinho

Oh I do but I was checking to make sure you weren't really suggesting that a single player can be the reason for an uptick in fortunes but not the reason for a downturn in fortunes. Because, you know, that would make you sound like an idiot.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 15 Jan 2021 10:35

NewCorkSeth
muirinho
NewCorkSeth Weren't they in the Championship last season?

Oh I do but I was checking to make sure you weren't really suggesting that a single player can be the reason for an uptick in fortunes but not the reason for a downturn in fortunes. Because, you know, that would make you sound like an idiot.

indeed - so the reverse - implying he had nothing to do with the improvement once he joined, but the latest results are all his fault is idiocy. I'm glad you agree with my point.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 15 Jan 2021 10:39

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 15 Jan 2021 11:09

Whatever, but from a very promising beginning with Cardiff
to an expensive move to Spurs
who fairly quickly shifted him out to Forest
who then took £2 million off us, clapping their hands with glee
to doing his bit in getting us relegated from the Premier League
to not being good enough for The Championship (nor certainly Premier League)
to moving for free to Div 1 Charlton and then......

Not a bad career but a gradual downward spiral after a promising start for a player over-rated apart from his national team who seemingly, until converting Connor Roberts to full-back, struggled to find anybody decent to play there with Gunter's only competition being the moderate Jazz Richards.

Not sure what Pepe is on about re-homophobia; I didn't like the player because he was weak in the tackle and failed so often to block crosses and these are two important facets of playing full-back.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Jan 2021 11:54

muirinho
NewCorkSeth
muirinho

indeed - so the reverse - implying he had nothing to do with the improvement once he joined, but the latest results are all his fault is idiocy. I'm glad you agree with my point.

It's a good thing nobody said that. I just pointed out that is it interesting another set of fans is criticising him for the same thing many of us did. Almost like it was true.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Jan 2021 12:04

NewCorkSeth
muirinho
NewCorkSeth Oh I do but I was checking to make sure you weren't really suggesting that a single player can be the reason for an uptick in fortunes but not the reason for a downturn in fortunes. Because, you know, that would make you sound like an idiot.

It's a good thing nobody said that. I just pointed out that is it interesting another set of fans is criticising him for the same thing many of us did. Almost like it was true.

Do think the Gunter scapegoating was always too far - I mean he wasn’t as bad as people made out (which isn’t aimed at you). Obviously he had faults like the ones you’ve pointed out but he did an OK job for us. IMO he was part of the squad for too long in which time we achieved very little and that was the main problem

Strangely enough, I preferred him at LB, he seemed to be more comfortable there. From what I can tell, Charlton have been playing him as a CB and it’s not working out too well

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 15 Jan 2021 12:19

South Coast Royal Whatever, but from a very promising beginning with Cardiff

Not a bad career but a gradual downward spiral after a promising start for a player over-rated apart from his national team who seemingly, until converting Connor Roberts to full-back, struggled to find anybody decent to play there with Gunter's only competition being the moderate Jazz Richards.

Not sure what Pepe is on about re-homophobia; I didn't like the player because he was weak in the tackle and failed so often to block crosses and these are two important facets of playing full-back.

Gunter was a top-end Championship right back for most of his career, a very reliable performer who never let us down and made over 400 appearances at this level.

For Wales, he had competition from Adam Matthews (100 games for Celtic), Neal Eardley (who won promotion from this level with Blackpool) and Neil Taylor (likewise but with both Swansea and Aston Villa; predominantly a left-back, but has to compete with Ben Davies for that spot). There have been no shortage of alternatives for Welsh managers over the years. Sure they haven’t had a truly world-class right back but they’ve nearly always had two right backs playing at this level or higher and Gunter has usually got the nod.

download

by download » 15 Jan 2021 13:42

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 15 Jan 2021 15:23

NewCorkSeth
muirinho
NewCorkSeth Oh I do but I was checking to make sure you weren't really suggesting that a single player can be the reason for an uptick in fortunes but not the reason for a downturn in fortunes. Because, you know, that would make you sound like an idiot.

Generally speaking when a club loses a game, you'll get fans on twitter blaming various people.
Generally speaking, when a club wins a game, you'll get fans on twitter praising various people.
Sometimes it's the same fans, sometimes it's the same people.

But some fans will never give a player they dislike credit for a clean sheet, but will blame them for every goal conceded. That's what I am talking about.

Just like some fans will be so obsessed with a player they dislike, they can't wait until there's some criticism of him that they can post about. While ignoring praise of the same player when things were going well.

Even more obsessed are the fans who do this about a player who no longer even plays for their club.

Odd. Very odd.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 15 Jan 2021 17:37

Former Reading defender Liam Rosenior named Assistant Manager of Derby County as they appoint new coaching team with Wayne Rooney becoming manager.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Jan 2021 18:46

muirinho
NewCorkSeth
muirinho

Generally speaking when a club loses a game, you'll get fans on twitter blaming various people.
Generally speaking, when a club wins a game, you'll get fans on twitter praising various people.
Sometimes it's the same fans, sometimes it's the same people.

But some fans will never give a player they dislike credit for a clean sheet, but will blame them for every goal conceded. That's what I am talking about.

Just like some fans will be so obsessed with a player they dislike, they can't wait until there's some criticism of him that they can post about. While ignoring praise of the same player when things were going well.

Even more obsessed are the fans who do this about a player who no longer even plays for their club.

Odd. Very odd.

:lol:

You're very sensitive about this aren't you? It's genuinely shocking how desperate you are to paint me as this straw man you have just described when all I said is Gunter was quite often criticised for not closing down his man fast enough when he played for us and now Charlton fans are saying the same thing.

You brought up all this nonsense about players being completely to blame for when things go wrong. I never scapegoated Gunter, I criticised him when I thought he performed poorly, I praised him when he played well and overall I thought he was decent but never quite good enough.

More worryingly you don't seem to see how how you more closely you describe yourself with your outburst here. I dont hate Gunter. I thought he was a model professional and I think he was an incredible athlete. I think he was shit at closing down his winger though. Very shit at it.

I'm also not obsessed with him, this is a thread about former players. He is a former player. It's topical. I think you need to take a step back and realise you are levelling counter arguments against points I didnt make.

If you believe he wasn't bad at closing down his man, fine. No problem. But that's the point I was making. That many fans thought it while he was with us and were told it was bullshit. Now Charlton fans are saying the same thing. Nothing else.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Jan 2021 11:42

Hendo
Sutekh Another quiz on ex-players

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/did-r ... 1-million/

12/14

11/14 for me. Quite tricky and most of my answers were guesses.

Not convinced they're all accurate. Was almost certain on Rasiak for example, but was apparently wrong.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Jan 2021 11:46

SCIAG

Gunter was a top-end Championship right back for most of his career, a very reliable performer who never let us down and made over 400 appearances at this level.

For Wales, he had competition from Adam Matthews (100 games for Celtic), Neal Eardley (who won promotion from this level with Blackpool) and Neil Taylor (likewise but with both Swansea and Aston Villa; predominantly a left-back, but has to compete with Ben Davies for that spot). There have been no shortage of alternatives for Welsh managers over the years. Sure they haven’t had a truly world-class right back but they’ve nearly always had two right backs playing at this level or higher and Gunter has usually got the nod.

If by never let us down you mean turned up, yeah sure. Frequently let us down by

a) not being very good at defending
b) not being very good at attacking

Very committed, great athlete, mediocre footballer.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 16 Jan 2021 12:44

Stephen Quinn joins Mansfield from Burton. I thought he’d retired.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 16 Jan 2021 13:07

Snowflake Royal
SCIAG

If by never let us down you mean turned up, yeah sure. Frequently let us down by

a) not being very good at defending
b) not being very good at attacking

Very committed, great athlete, mediocre footballer.

He was good at both. HTH.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Jan 2021 13:11

:lol:

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 16 Jan 2021 18:03

NewCorkSeth More worryingly you don't seem to see how how you more closely you describe yourself with your outburst here. I dont hate Gunter. I thought he was a model professional and I think he was an incredible athlete. I think he was shit at closing down his winger though. Very shit at it.

I'm also not obsessed with him, this is a thread about former players. He is a former player. It's topical. I think you need to take a step back and realise you are levelling counter arguments against points I didnt make.

If you believe he wasn't bad at closing down his man, fine. No problem. But that's the point I was making. That many fans thought it while he was with us and were told it was bullshit. Now Charlton fans are saying the same thing. Nothing else.

Yeah you're right - lots of stuff going on IRL that I can't afford to get upset about, so I'm irrationally venting in football posts instead.

It's not that I don't think he was great at closing down his man - he wasn't - all footballers have faults or they wouldn't be playing for us - it's just to me the original couple of posts came across as gleeful, spiteful almost, that he was going through a bad patch - if it was just general reporting on how he was doing, the same posters would have been pointing out the Charlton fans singing his praises duuring the first few months of his tenure - hence the reference to some fans aren't balanced in their views - they only point out the bad stuff and look for scapegoats to hang entire seasons on. I mean, come on, saying his standard is Wrexham was a bit unnecessary

I can understand that kind of attitute when it comes to players like Piazon who was basically a little sh*t - but with the likes of Gunter - it would be like getting a kick out of the miserable time Jem Karacan had at Galataseray, for instance.

So I guess I was seeing intent that wasn't there, but that was why I responded the way I did.

3127 posts