morganb
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Ex Players

by morganb » 14 Oct 2021 08:21

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Oct 2021 08:24

SCIAG The fandom was very happy with Gomes at the end of that season. If he had resigned at that point, he would almost certainly be held up as "one who got away".

Like all recent RFC managers, finished the season disappointingly iirc.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 14 Oct 2021 08:58

Snowflake Royal
SCIAG The fandom was very happy with Gomes at the end of that season. If he had resigned at that point, he would almost certainly be held up as "one who got away".

Last 10 were - W2, D5, L3 so not too great, but probably on par for how we were doing that season - actually slightly better than we did overall that season. That record in the last 10 games puts us on for a 51 point season as opposed to the 47 points we actually got.

Included a draws at eventual champions Norwich, 4th placed WBA and 8th placed Bristol City and wins against PNE (who I think had won their last 10 away games in a row or something stupid at the time) and Brentford.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 14 Oct 2021 09:19

morganb https://mobile.twitter.com/10Joshbarrett/status/1448383502374903810

Josh Barrett now at King's Lynn

Thats some fall....

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Oct 2021 13:23

paultheroyal

Thats some fall....

Yes, a whole division.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Oct 2021 13:31

Hendo
Snowflake Royal

Last 10 were - W2, D5, L3 so not too great, but probably on par for how we were doing that season - actually slightly better than we did overall that season. That record in the last 10 games puts us on for a 51 point season as opposed to the 47 points we actually got.

Included a draws at eventual champions Norwich, 4th placed WBA and 8th placed Bristol City and wins against PNE (who I think had won their last 10 away games in a row or something stupid at the time) and Brentford.

But then he did make things a lot harder for the club by sidelining the likes of Gunter and McCleary and Baldock for no real reason. All in all I think the jury was still out on him that summer, and while we probably would have been happy to see him get a shot at starting the new season we equally wouldn’t have thrown the toys out of the pram if he’d left, though the discussion would have been more around what’s wrong behind the scenes that has caused JG to resign when he’s always said he wanted to manage in England.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 14 Oct 2021 14:09

Josh Barrett has signed for Kings Lynn....playing in the FA Cup at the weekend

Half Time Pizza

by Half Time Pizza » 14 Oct 2021 14:40

Josh Barrett has signed for Kings Lynn :D

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 14 Oct 2021 14:41

Sutekh
paultheroyal

Thats some fall....

Yes, a whole division.

Last time i looked Championship to National League there were a couple more divisions in-between, silly me.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 14 Oct 2021 14:41

Half Time Pizza Josh Barrett has signed for Kings Lynn :D

its only a division down apparently, dont worry about it.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 14 Oct 2021 17:13

paultheroyal
Half Time Pizza Josh Barrett has signed for Kings Lynn :D

its only a division down apparently, dont worry about it.

To be fair, I think he probably means compared to his last club, Bristol Rovers.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 15 Oct 2021 18:47

Simon Cox has retired...

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 15 Oct 2021 18:49

Mid Sussex Royal Simon Cox has retired...

Just 34

Injured?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Oct 2021 11:58

bcubed
Mid Sussex Royal Simon Cox has retired...

Just 34

Injured?

No, I think he just wants to concentrate on coaching and management.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 16 Oct 2021 16:03

Aluko getting a rare start for Ipswich...and getting a brace before half-time

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 21 Oct 2021 10:58

Racing Media FORMER IRELAND SQUAD player Jay Tabb will experience another kind of sporting thrill when he takes to the saddle for the Fitzdares Racing Welfare Charity Flat Race at Wincanton on Sunday.

The 37-year-old enjoyed a 16-year career as a midfielder, working his way through Crystal Palace’s youth academy before undertaking spells at Brentford, Coventry, Reading and Ipswich alongside gaining ten caps for Ireland’s under-21 side. He also made the senior squad a number of times under Steve Staunton without getting capped.

Upon retirement Tabb, who was introduced to racing and racehorse ownership by a teammate, learned to ride at the Northern Racing College in Doncaster (now the National Horseracing College) and began working for leading National Hunt trainer Philip Hobbs in 2019.

“I got into racing through one of my old teammates who used to, whenever we travelled away for matches, watch racing on TV so I used to watch it with him,” he said.

“Then we got involved in a couple of syndicates and we managed to get our own colours and own our own horse.

“Whenever we’d go to the yards to watch them train on the gallops I always thought ‘it’d be amazing to try that’.

“When the football finished I thought I’d give it a go and go up to the Northern Racing College but before that I’d never had any experience riding horses.”

Though both sports require a high level of fitness and discipline, Tabb quickly became aware of how football and riding place different physical demands on the body.

“In all sports you can be fit in that discipline but when you go to another sport you find it to be totally different, that’s what I found with riding horses,” he said.

“The jockeys on TV make it look easy but it definitely isn’t when you’re on a horse, at first it was hard getting used to being in that position for a while.

“At the moment the fitness side of it seems to be going well, I’ve been doing a lot of work on the equicizer and I’d like to think I’m as ready as I can be.”

Hobbs has two horses earmarked for Tabb to ride in the race, with veteran chaser Rolling Dylan a possible mount alongside seven-year-old gelding Umndeni.

“I think it’s between Rolling Dylan and Umndeni, they’ve both got entries as well this weekend and next week so I think whichever one doesn’t take up his entry I will probably ride at Wincanton,” Tabb said.

“I’ve been sitting on them this week and getting to know them, they’re both really nice horses and nice rides so whichever one I’m on I’m sure I’ll enjoy it.

“I’m really good friends with all of the jockeys down there so as soon as I know exactly what I’m riding for definite I’ll see who’s been riding him and have a chat with them on the phone and see what the best way to go about it is.”

Tabb intends to ride out in his racing saddle and breeches in preparation for a competitive run in the race, but his priority is to enjoy the experience and contribute as much as possible to Racing Welfare.

“First and foremost I just want to make sure we get down to the start and jump off and then anything from then is a bonus,” he said.

“Both of the horses I’m possibly riding are good horses and have had good careers so I’d like to think I have a chance of having a nice race, but I think the most important thing is raising money for the charity and enjoying the day and enjoying the experience.

“All the riders are raising money for the same charity and it’s a great charity, hopefully we can raise as much as possible.”

Tabb is not the first sportsperson to take up riding after a successful career in another discipline, with Wincanton also the scene of one of Olympic cyclist Victoria Pendleton’s early rides before her fifth-placed finish aboard Pacha Du Polder in the Foxhunter Chase at the Cheltenham Festival.

Daniel Cooper, Wincanton’s clerk of the course, said: “We are excited to have yet another sporting professional take on the popular Somerset racetrack on Sunday, having seen Victoria Pendleton riding here previously, plus not forgetting our close association with cricket pros Jamie and Craig Overton as ambassadors for the course.

“We understand that preparations are going well for Jay, but the pressure is now on during these final few days to stay fit, healthy and watch his diet!

“Most importantly, the money already being raised for the Racing Welfare charity is exceeding expectations and donations, and together with a large auction on the day could well result in a record-breaking amount of money raised on a single raceday here at Wincanton.”

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 21 Oct 2021 13:44

Well, he's fcuking small enough to be a jockey.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 23 Oct 2021 11:48

Former #ReadingFC keeper Adam Federici has announced his retirement from football.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 24 Oct 2021 11:54

My paper gave Olise Man of the match yesterday.
Obvs delighted for the boy but.................................

3097 posts