Ex Players

3107 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Ex Players

by Hound » 24 May 2021 21:42

Nice to see Charlie Adam celebrating a promotion with Dundee. Seemed a decent chap in his time here

eddiegrundy

by eddiegrundy » 24 May 2021 21:49

From Despair To Where?
Hendo Didn't he score the winning penalty in a league cup match v Darlington or someone?

I think he scored the equaliser at 3-3 with some sleight of hand at a corner.

If by sleight of hand you mean he handled it into the net, then yes you are right.

eddiegrundy

by eddiegrundy » 24 May 2021 21:55

Mid Sussex Royal
From Despair To Where?
Hendo Didn't he score the winning penalty in a league cup match v Darlington or someone?

Do Darlington still exist? Went there (old Feethams ground) when we first won promotion (in modern era) to second tier in 1986.....does that huge stadium they built still exist?

Darlington play in the Conference North and are currently playing at Blackwell Meadows, ground sharing with Darlington Rugby Club. George Reynolds, the colourful ex safecracker who built the Arena died recently. Darlington Mowden Park Rugby Club (different from Darlington Rugby Club) currently own and play in the Arena.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 24 May 2021 22:35

eddiegrundy
From Despair To Where?

If by sleight of hand you mean he handled it into the net, then yes you are right.

That's exactly what I meant

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 24 May 2021 23:29

Hound Nice to see Charlie Adam celebrating a promotion with Dundee. Seemed a decent chap in his time here

Going in the opposite direction to Tshibola at Kilmarnock. Will always wonder how much better his career could have been had he not agitated for his big move to Villa way too soon in his career.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 25 May 2021 09:40

Hound Nice to see Charlie Adam celebrating a promotion with Dundee. Seemed a decent chap in his time here

Agreed - I thought he showed his class with us and great to see him returning to his boyhood club and winning promotion with them.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 25 May 2021 13:59

Royalwaster

Agreed - I thought he showed his class with us and great to see him returning to his boyhood club and winning promotion with them.

Yep. Was a bit of a joke when we signed him, but our best run of performances last season were when he was starting.

yuomi

by yuomi » 26 May 2021 08:18

And for Kilmarnock, Tshibola having a terrible time. They confirmed his release yesterday. Not quite 5 years since he left for Villa.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 26 May 2021 08:28

yuomi And for Kilmarnock, Tshibola having a terrible time. They confirmed his release yesterday. Not quite 5 years since he left for Villa.

Crazy really how high his stock was when he had only made 17 appearances for us.

He has played for 8 clubs and the only 2 where he has made more than those 17 appearance are Kilmarnock (78) and the 23 games he played on loan at Hartlepool whilst still with us.

16 games at MK Dons
10 for Villa
9 for Waasland-Beveren
4 for Deportivo Aves and Forest.

Do feel the move to Villa was a bit of a sliding doors moment for him - we couldn't down the 5m or whatever it was for him at the time but definitely held back his career.

Hope it still works out for him as he is only 26 but can see him being one of those players you read about who end up playing for 10 clubs in 10 years in 10 different leagues - becoming massively popular in Indonesia*.

*nothing wrong with that of course - can have a perfectly good career playing anywhere

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 26 May 2021 10:39

Stranded
yuomi And for Kilmarnock, Tshibola having a terrible time. They confirmed his release yesterday. Not quite 5 years since he left for Villa.

Crazy really how high his stock was when he had only made 17 appearances for us.

He has played for 8 clubs and the only 2 where he has made more than those 17 appearance are Kilmarnock (78) and the 23 games he played on loan at Hartlepool whilst still with us.

16 games at MK Dons
10 for Villa
9 for Waasland-Beveren
4 for Deportivo Aves and Forest.

Do feel the move to Villa was a bit of a sliding doors moment for him - we couldn't down the 5m or whatever it was for him at the time but definitely held back his career.

Hope it still works out for him as he is only 26 but can see him being one of those players you read about who end up playing for 10 clubs in 10 years in 10 different leagues - becoming massively popular in Indonesia*.

*nothing wrong with that of course - can have a perfectly good career playing anywhere

His big move was too soon. If he had a full 1 or 2 seasons under his belt with is, he could have ridden out a disappointing move to Villa and got a move to a decent Championship club. But he had no proven record to fall back on. It was just a terrible decision, where we came out least bad because we got £5m from it. Could totally see him moving to Australia or India as you suggest.

Also, Brian Tevredon did later say we were willing to turn the deal down, but the player and his representatives agitated very strongly for the move.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 26 May 2021 11:07

De Graafschap sign Danzell Gravenberch.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 26 May 2021 11:12

Pepe the Horseman
Royalwaster

Yep. Was a bit of a joke when we signed him, but our best run of performances last season were when he was starting.

Yes - the highlight of last season for me was his goal at Fulham and the celebrations in front of us, was as good as it got last season.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Jun 2021 13:39

Glen Murray has retired. According to wiki, he finished with 217 goals in 624 appearances (8 in 18 games for Reading).

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 08 Jun 2021 13:55

Olly Pendlebury (who was released this summer) has signed for Wycombe

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 10 Jun 2021 19:52

HRK part of the BBC's Euros commentary team

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 10 Jun 2021 22:02

morganb Olly Pendlebury (who was released this summer) has signed for Wycombe

They have a thing for our former players.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 Jun 2021 08:59

tidus_mi2

I guess they're a pretty attractive club for our younger players as well. Close to home, presumably, know the area, good set up and have probably heard good things from other players.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Jun 2021 14:05

Hendo
tidus_mi2

I guess they're a pretty attractive club for our younger players as well. Close to home, presumably, know the area, good set up and have probably heard good things from other players.

Are Wycombe one of those rare local rivals of club who are all actually quite liked and want to do well rather than your more typical anti-feeling for a local rival e.g. Aldershot, Swindon and Oxford?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 Jun 2021 14:06

Sutekh
Hendo
tidus_mi2 They have a thing for our former players.

Are Wycombe one of those rare local rivals of club who are all actually quite liked and want to do well rather than your more typical anti-feeling for a local rival e.g. Aldershot, Swindon and Oxford?

I'd say so.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jun 2021 16:12

Yeah, pretty much.

3107 posts