MATCHWATCH : Aston Villa (a) sponsored by hoping it's 1959/1960 all over again

143 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Aston Villa (a) sponsored by hoping it's 1959/1960 all over again

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Aug 2018 21:22

Hound I know you’re no fan of Clement and respect that, but you have to accept a 1-1 at Villa is a decent result. Penalty looked as nailed on as McShane’s 2nd calamity on Wednesday

It may or may not kickstart our season but hopefully what it will do is restore some of the confidence we must have lost after Bolton

Obvs massive key now is to pick up a few wins in our home games - otherwise the effort today will have been a total waste

Agree with you Hound

Plus, McShane threw away the points, two of them, not the team as a whole, and not Clement.

The draw with Villa is certainly a stepping stone. Whether we can manage to take the step to the next one without falling in the river is another question. But that late equaliser will be morale boosting as you say. And whilst results have been very poor... it's still only 5 games and we have been better than those last terrible games under Stam, or that shambolic display against Ipswich.

We're putting ourselves under less pressure at the back than we were back then, so if we can get a couple of good results, it really could make a difference. What we need this season is to grow the team spirit, stay up better than last year and finish the season in decent form. What happens now is only important insofar as it gives us the best shot of that come May. The squad still needs plenty of surgery. It's going to take time. Our fans need to give it some.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Aston Villa (a) sponsored by hoping it's 1959/1960 all over again

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Aug 2018 21:25

windermereROYAL
Ascotexgunner
Zip How important is that goal? It may just be the turning point to not only the poor start to the season but the dreadful run we have been in since December. They have finally shown the backbone to fight back. It’s only a point but a bloody good one.
Now FFS Reading FC let’s start winning some League games.

Cmon Zip really? Just like at Leeds last season when everyone was saying "this will change our season". Every time we get a point or a win (and Christ they are rare) we keep hearing, " this will change our season" or "this will kick start the team" and every time nothing changes. Yeah we got a point today, so what, we threw 3 away in midweek. 3 wins in 30 still. Having to rely on dodgy penalty decisions just shows our desperation.

Dodgy pens work both ways don`t they? didn`t a dodgy pen rob us of a win during the week?

Yes, but then neither pen being discussed was remotely dodgy.

@sonkimarsson

by @sonkimarsson » 26 Aug 2018 19:31

From Despair To Where?
Zip
@sonkimarsson http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport/16597902.reading-fc-paul-mcshane-or-tiago-ilori-who-would-you-choose/?ref=rss

"Top stats:

Villa have won 10 of their last 11 fixtures against Reading in all competitions."

Poor, poor reporting given we've won 2 of the last 3 meetings :roll:

Agreed basic stuff and inexcusable given these have been recent wins too

Except it says "Villa have won 10 of their last 11 home fixtures against Reading in all competitions", which they have so not poor reporting and completely excusable because it's correct.

And no ,they haven't subsequently changed it because it said that last night.

Not that I really want to bring old threads back onto the forum...but I'll defend myself. I directly copied and pasted what it said. If I've raised their awareness of the error which they have then changed, brilliant. I'm not the sort to go making things like this up for no reason, what would be the point :lol:

143 posts