Subs:
Mannone
Blackett
O'Shea
Kelly
Clement
Loader
McNulty

I don't think I can stomach us having 2 strikers on the pitch wasting chances anymore. Bod has the better work rate and conversion rate. Play him and make the others work harder for it.

Get Aluko and Meyler out until they remember that they are supposed to be footballers. Sims can play until then and anyone but Edwards should be ahead of Meyler till he pulls his thumb out.

Swift ahead of Kelly because Swift is actually capable of free kicks and despite performing well below what he is capable of is much less of a disappointment than future England star Liam Kelly. In an advanced role with 2 Cms behind him he might actually be able to float in that transitional area we often leave totally empty without having to worry about the gap between defense and midfield.

Loader on the bench because he might actually be more capable than Baldock at hitting the target. Harsh I know but for all his rushing about Baldock has shown himself to be incapable of doing the one thing we need him to do. Score.

This team.

Mannone's distribution is just too slow. We weren't great against Watford, but we did at least have a few counter attacks from Walker's distribution. People love to hate Gunter, but I thought generally he was fine against Sheff Wed. Seen him play a lot better, though hopefully that will come after a couple of games back.

Maybe Swift should be swapped for Blackett/O'Shea or Baldock in a different formation, but he's obviously been practicing set pieces and his free kicks have been pretty good this season, so probably worth having him in for that alone.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Team for Preston (A)

by Denver Royal » 02 Sep 2018 15:50

NewCorkSeth -------------------Walker----------------
Yiadom---Moore---Ilori---Gunter
--------Ezatolahi------Bacuna--------
Sims--------------Swift----------Barrow
---------------------Bod------------------
Subs:
Mannone
Blackett
O'Shea
Kelly
Clement
Loader
McNulty

Yeah, after the disappointment of last season, it was crucial we got our Summer business right. You are looking for your signings to make an impact, give you a lift, and be difference makers, and they really haven’t been.

Baldock's done virtually nothing, McNulty even less. Meyler hasn’t looked good. And O’Shea, well, enough said. Wasn’t even in the squad yesterday. Yiadom's done well, but he’s a RB.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Sep 2018 16:43

CavershamRoyal
Subs:
Mannone
Blackett
O'Shea
Kelly
Clement
Loader
McNulty

I don't think I can stomach us having 2 strikers on the pitch wasting chances anymore. Bod has the better work rate and conversion rate. Play him and make the others work harder for it.

Get Aluko and Meyler out until they remember that they are supposed to be footballers. Sims can play until then and anyone but Edwards should be ahead of Meyler till he pulls his thumb out.

Swift ahead of Kelly because Swift is actually capable of free kicks and despite performing well below what he is capable of is much less of a disappointment than future England star Liam Kelly. In an advanced role with 2 Cms behind him he might actually be able to float in that transitional area we often leave totally empty without having to worry about the gap between defense and midfield.

Loader on the bench because he might actually be more capable than Baldock at hitting the target. Harsh I know but for all his rushing about Baldock has shown himself to be incapable of doing the one thing we need him to do. Score.

This team.

Mannone's distribution is just too slow. We weren't great against Watford, but we did at least have a few counter attacks from Walker's distribution. People love to hate Gunter, but I thought generally he was fine against Sheff Wed. Seen him play a lot better, though hopefully that will come after a couple of games back.

Maybe Swift should be swapped for Blackett/O'Shea or Baldock in a different formation, but he's obviously been practicing set pieces and his free kicks have been pretty good this season, so probably worth having him in for that alone.

Broadly that team. Would prob still play Baldock instead of Swift - and consider Swift and Bacuna in midfield depending on how good the new boy is

Time to trust Blackett to cover both LB and CB on the bench - waste of a sub spot having a CB in as well

Get Loader and Rinomhota in the match day squad. Used to winning games and playing well

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 02 Sep 2018 16:52

Hound
CavershamRoyal
Subs:
Mannone
Blackett
O'Shea
Kelly
Clement
Loader
McNulty

This team.

Broadly that team. Would prob still play Baldock instead of Swift - and consider Swift and Bacuna in midfield depending on how good the new boy is

Time to trust Blackett to cover both LB and CB on the bench - waste of a sub spot having a CB in as well

Get Loader and Rinomhota in the match day squad. Used to winning games and playing well

Thought about Rinomhota but plumped for Clement who covers a few more positions.

I agree on Blackett for the most part but O'Shea is really just a place holder until Obita is back. Then it'll be Gunter and Blackett on the bench (when Obita is fit and has some minutes under his belt). If I took O'Shea off the bench I would put Meite in their to offer wing cover.

I just think Baldock deserves to be dropped. He's just been a huge disappointment. McNulty hasn't had a proper shot of it yet and has earned more faith from me than Baldock.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Sep 2018 09:54

I think Baldocks one of the few players making an effort.

The the vast majority of our problems lie in midfield IMO.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 03 Sep 2018 10:38

Snowflake Royal I think Baldocks one of the few players making an effort.

Players who put in effort but aren’t good enough:
- Baldock
- McNulty
- Bodvarsson (sorry :P )
- Mannone
- Kelly
- Meite

Players who don’t put effort in and aren’t good enough:
- Meyler
- Aluko

Players who don’t put effort in but are (maybe?) good enough:
- Bacuna
- Swift

Players who put effort in and are good enough:
- Yiadom
- Moore
- Ilori

Obviously subjective but I doubt many will disagree. And this is the mess we find ourselves in. We have an outrageously average squad with several players not giving their all.

That only ever ends badly.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Sep 2018 10:42

CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal I think Baldocks one of the few players making an effort.

Players who put in effort but aren’t good enough:
- Baldock
- McNulty
- Bodvarsson (sorry :P )
- Mannone
- Kelly
- Meite

Players who don’t put effort in and aren’t good enough:
- Meyler
- Aluko

Players who don’t put effort in but are (maybe?) good enough:
- Bacuna
- Swift

Players who put effort in and are good enough:
- Yiadom
- Moore
- Ilori

Obviously subjective but I doubt many will disagree. And this is the mess we find ourselves in. We have an outrageously average squad with several players not giving their all.

That only ever ends badly.

Yeah, pretty much agree... although Moore's effort or rather application of it is often suspect, similarly Ilori's application of his talent.

Which is why I'd happily play people from the first and last group over those in the middle groups.

Really not getting the Bacuna love in. I thought he was an absolute disgrace against both Bolton and Wednesday, only surpassed in midfield by the wholly inadequate Meyler.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 03 Sep 2018 11:59

Top Flight My team for PNE would be:

GK: Mannone
RB: Gunter
LB: Yiadom
CB: Moore
CB: McShane
RW: Sims
CM: Bacuna
CM: Ezatolahi
LW: Barrow
CF: Bodvarsson
CF: Baldock

How can you possibly want McShane to play? He's finished.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 03 Sep 2018 12:08

John Smith

What a terrible call that is, baffling.

Whitley

by Whitley » 03 Sep 2018 13:55

I hope for this one Clement ditches his suicidal 4-2-4, back to 4-3-3/4-5-1. We drop Aluko and Meyler after the shite they served up on Saturday.

GK - Walker
RB - Gunter
CB - Moore
CB - Ilori
LB - Yiadom
CM - Bacuna
CM - Kelly (Ezatolahi if he's fit although doubt he will be fit enough to start this one)
CM - Swift
RW - Sims
ST - Bod
LW - Barrow

Subs:
Mannone
Blackett
O'Shea
Kelly/Esatolahi
Baldock
Loader
McNulty

Getthebeerens

by Getthebeerens » 03 Sep 2018 14:01

I would go with the below team, not too many changes to the side that played against Sheffield Wednesday. Sims coming in for Aluko and Bodvarsson in for Meite.

I think we need to try and get a settled side from now on. Making changes every week last season caused us lots of issues under Stam. I just hope that Bacuna & Meyler can start to strike up a midfield partnership soon and the only way for them to do that is to get more playing time together.

Mannone
Gunter
Illori
Moore
Yiadom
Sims
Meyler
Bacuna
Barrow
Baldock
Bodvarsson

On a positive note looking at the league table this morning as bad as we have been we are 3 points worse off than teams like Norwich, Stoke so we are not the only ones having a real struggle.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 03 Sep 2018 14:04

I'm going for a 5-3-2 / 5-4-1 to sneak an away point

Walker

Gunter
Ilori
Moore
Blackett
Yiadom

Meyler
Bacuna
Swift/Kelly

Bod
Barrow

Subs
Vito
McShane
Baldock
Sims
Kelly/Swift
Meite
Ezatolahi

Think Meite should be used as an impact sub for a while

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 05 Sep 2018 14:24

Old Man Andrews
John Smith

I agree that he hasn't been at his absolute best. But McShane is experienced and he is aggressive and a warrior at the back.

Tiago has improved this season but he really needs to add aggression and better decision making to his game. If he can add those two elements then he could be the best centre half at the club. But, he really needs to step it up now and bring those two elements in to his play. Those attributes are all in the mind. He has to attain that mental toughness and resilience and find that bravery.

At the moment, it's a toss up for me between McShane and Tiago. Tiago is better on the deck, quicker and should only get better. McShane is more aggressive, more experienced and more of a warrior but is slowing down and is deteriorating. But right now, it's a hard call. We played Tiago at Villa where he wasn't bad and at home to Wednesday where we lost. I would have another look at McShane at Preston and see if he can keep his cool and eradicate the mistakes that cost us at Blackburn.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Sep 2018 14:27

Top Flight
Old Man Andrews
John Smith How can you possibly want McShane to play? He's finished.

I agree that he hasn't been at his absolute best. But McShane is experienced and he is aggressive and a warrior at the back.

Warrior? Really? He has been like a kitten since midway through last season, his heart and desire have gone imo.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Sep 2018 14:29

Old Man Andrews
Top Flight
Old Man Andrews

Warrior? Really? He has been like a kitten since midway through last season, his heart and desire have gone imo.

If we want an aggressive warrior at the back, there's plenty of Royal Marines we could call on. Personally, I'd like someone who still knows how to play football and doesn't run around fouling people like a lunatic.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 05 Sep 2018 15:09

Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews
Top Flight

If we want an aggressive warrior at the back, there's plenty of Royal Marines we could call on. Personally, I'd like someone who still knows how to play football and doesn't run around fouling people like a lunatic.

I'd prefer someone that actually knows how to defend. Defending is the first priority for a centre back. After that, if he can play a bit of football as well then that is a bonus. But a centre back MUST be able to defend.

Hopeful

by Hopeful » 05 Sep 2018 15:29

This.
But I'd swap Gunter and Yiadom over - depending on pace/experience of PNE's wingers.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 05 Sep 2018 15:46

Going a bit left field and suggesting

----------------- Walker--------------------
Yaidom - Moore - Blackett - Gunter
-------------- Ilori - Meyler---------------
----------------- Swift ------------------
Simms ------------------- Barrow
------------------ Bod -----------------

Subs.
Mannone
McShane
Richards
Kelly
Bacuna or Ezatolahi if fit enough.
McNulty
Baldock or Meite

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Sep 2018 15:58

Top Flight
Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews

I'd prefer someone that actually knows how to defend. Defending is the first priority for a centre back. After that, if he can play a bit of football as well then that is a bonus. But a centre back MUST be able to defend.

So we agree not McShane after all then.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Sep 2018 16:43

Unless being able to defend means give away penalties under zero pressure or losing every aerial battle with the CF you are meant to be marking