Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: On this day

by Stranded » 19 Feb 2020 16:17

stealthpapes
Stranded
From Despair To Where? Idiots!!!

https://royals.org/matdoc/190205.html

Crazy end to that season (though obviously the following year made up for it) 70pts after 43 games and seemingly a shoe in for the play-offs we contrived to lose our last 3 games to let Pardew's West Ham sneak in and go on to win the play-offs.

What gets me is the absolute shift they put in at Sunderland (A) to cement the turnaround in form in March (thinking the Kitson hattrick but also just a return to some form of tenacity and ruggedness).

Then Wigan (A)

Awful.

Yep Wigan was awful but if we had managed 4pts from the 2 preceeding games v mid-table opponents, it would have been a party. But then the following season may not have been as fun.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 19 Feb 2020 18:09

stealthpapes
Stranded
From Despair To Where? Idiots!!!

https://royals.org/matdoc/190205.html

Crazy end to that season (though obviously the following year made up for it) 70pts after 43 games and seemingly a shoe in for the play-offs we contrived to lose our last 3 games to let Pardew's West Ham sneak in and go on to win the play-offs.

What gets me is the absolute shift they put in at Sunderland (A) to cement the turnaround in form in March (thinking the Kitson hattrick but also just a return to some form of tenacity and ruggedness).

Then Wigan (A)

Awful.

That Sunderland game was mad. They pissed on us for 75 minutes, Kitson scores 2 in 5 an I've never seen 15,000 fans leave so quickly with 10 minutes to go when their team is top of the league and still in a with a shout of nicking a goal.

i remember going with a mate who's parents lived in Morpeth so we visited them after the game and then had some braindead Mackem twat try to start a fight with me at a petrol station outside Middlesbrough 8hrs after the game finished.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 19 Feb 2020 19:01

From Despair To Where?
That Sunderland game was mad. They pissed on us for 75 minutes, Kitson scores 2 in 5 an I've never seen 15,000 fans leave so quickly with 10 minutes to go when their team is top of the league and still in a with a shout of nicking a goal.

i remember going with a mate who's parents lived in Morpeth so we visited them after the game and then had some braindead Mackem twat try to start a fight with me at a petrol station outside Middlesbrough 8hrs after the game finished.

12.45 kick off so we went up on the Friday. It was snowing on the A1.

Cracking weekend though. In the evening we were out in Newcastle with a Geordie friend and his Mackem brother. We were queueing at a cash point when the Mackem taps the fella in front on the shoulder who turns around “Alreet Jeff?” It was Jeff Whitley who’d conceded the penalty and then been substituted. Imagine he thought he was unlikely to run into a mackem AND half a dozen Reading fans in Newcastle that evening.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 16 Mar 2020 17:58

Happier moments 5 years ago today (on a Monday too) as a certain Hal, Garath and Jamie scored to send us to Wembley

Can’t believe that was five years ago

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 17 Mar 2020 12:58

1998 and the appalling capitulation against O*ford at the Manor Ground. A more disgraceful performance is difficult to recall. Only consolation was that the taxi started up and moved off the rank for Terry.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Mar 2020 14:10

Ark Royal 1998 and the appalling capitulation against O*ford at the Manor Ground. A more disgraceful performance is difficult to recall. Only consolation was that the taxi started up and moved off the rank for Terry.

https://www.royals.org/matdoc/170398.html

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 25 Mar 2020 08:35

14 years ago today...

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 27 Mar 2020 09:47

32 years ago today !! Enough said :D

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 27 Mar 2020 12:37

Barney 32 years ago today !! Enough said :D

Yep. Very fond memories. I think the game was on a Sunday. We totally outnumbered the Luton fans that day. Hard to believe it was that long ago.

OldBiscuit

by OldBiscuit » 27 Mar 2020 22:34

Zip
Barney 32 years ago today !! Enough said :D

Yep. Very fond memories. I think the game was on a Sunday. We totally outnumbered the Luton fans that day. Hard to believe it was that long ago.

Agreed. Enough is enough. We’ve had it every year for 14 years now, no more.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 20 Apr 2020 16:36

18 years ago!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/1935588.stm

Why did the season finish so early? World Cup I assume?

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 14 May 2020 15:14

A quarter of a century ago :shock: today we enjoyed our greatest away performance ever. The goal highlights don't do it justice - we were brilliant that day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwxI5e06HXU

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 14 May 2020 17:13

Jerry St Clair A quarter of a century ago :shock: today we enjoyed our greatest away performance ever. The goal highlights don't do it justice - we were brilliant that day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwxI5e06HXU

Breathtaking and we utterly destroyed Tranmere. The best away performance I ever witnessed.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 01 Aug 2020 12:04

50 years ago today 1st Aug 1970, and on a Saturday, Reading 2-3 Man United featuring Best, Charlton, Law & co, first round Watney Cup.

This was the first sponsored competition in English football was run pre season for the highest scoring sides from the previous season.

I was a bit too young to go but I do remember it on Sunday ITV the next day

Anyone go?

donh99

by donh99 » 01 Aug 2020 14:35

Mid Sussex Royal 50 years ago today 1st Aug 1970, and on a Saturday, Reading 2-3 Man United featuring Best, Charlton, Law & co, first round Watney Cup.

This was the first sponsored competition in English football was run pre season for the highest scoring sides from the previous season.

I was a bit too young to go but I do remember it on Sunday ITV the next day

Anyone go?

Yes, remember standing behind the goal where Charlton scored with a thunderbolt shot.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 01 Aug 2020 14:46

Yes, as it was half a century ago, I can't remember much about the game except it was a massive crowd, probably the highest attendance I was in at Elm Park and The Biscuitmen did well and gave the Mighty U's a bit of a fright. It was the only time I saw Denis Law, Bobby Charlton etc. "in the flesh"

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Aug 2020 18:07

The Royal Forester Yes, as it was half a century ago, I can't remember much about the game except it was a massive crowd, probably the highest attendance I was in at Elm Park and The Biscuitmen did well and gave the Mighty U's a bit of a fright. It was the only time I saw Denis Law, Bobby Charlton etc. "in the flesh"

Between 18000 and 19000 attendance I believe.

Extensive (54 mins) of highlights on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSThDu5_zOg

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 01 Aug 2020 19:41

Sutekh
The Royal Forester Yes, as it was half a century ago, I can't remember much about the game except it was a massive crowd, probably the highest attendance I was in at Elm Park and The Biscuitmen did well and gave the Mighty U's a bit of a fright. It was the only time I saw Denis Law, Bobby Charlton etc. "in the flesh"

No wonder I felt like a sardine in a can! Thanks for the link, I will watch those highlights tomorrow. Thanks.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Aug 2020 20:58

The Royal Forester
Sutekh

No wonder I felt like a sardine in a can! Thanks for the link, I will watch those highlights tomorrow. Thanks.

Brilliant. So good to get a chance to see some legends I'd only heard of before like Death, Habin and Cummings.

Also quite sad watching it now and comparing to just how wide the gulf has got between the top clubs and lower league teams. Not sure you'd get quite the same competitiveness between Man City and Posh. But maybe that game was notable by is competing unexpectedly well.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 02 Aug 2020 14:46

The Royal Forester
Sutekh

Highlights watched and enjoyed. Pure nostalgia, seeing Jimmy Hill, Brian Moore and those Reading players again. Liked the narrow hooped shirts, add a few more hoops and they would look similar to our original shirts, ideal for next season.

413 posts