Who goes in January?

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Who goes in January?

by muirinho » 28 Nov 2018 15:58

NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth Only possibly for Jaakkola? Doesn't his deal end this season?

As harsh as it sounds I am not convinced he is good enough to be our long term number 1. He is going through a great spell yes but we shouldn't over egg the pudding here by chucking him a 3 year deal or anything like that.

Well I think we should look to sell Mannone and let Walker and Jaakkola fight it out. Jaakkola is bound to be on low wages so a 2-3 year contract won't hurt us.
It also gives us breathing room to promote Southwood.

Edit: Oh shit just saw he's 31. Maybe a 2 year deal maximum.

How old was Al-Habsi? Don't think age affects goalkeepers as much as outfield players. I'd certainly give him 2-3 years based on recent performances

Jaakkola didn't work in a "play it out from the back" set up, but we don't do that any more.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Nov 2018 16:16

muirinho
NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews
As harsh as it sounds I am not convinced he is good enough to be our long term number 1. He is going through a great spell yes but we shouldn't over egg the pudding here by chucking him a 3 year deal or anything like that.

Well I think we should look to sell Mannone and let Walker and Jaakkola fight it out. Jaakkola is bound to be on low wages so a 2-3 year contract won't hurt us.
It also gives us breathing room to promote Southwood.

Edit: Oh shit just saw he's 31. Maybe a 2 year deal maximum.

How old was Al-Habsi? Don't think age affects goalkeepers as much as outfield players. I'd certainly give him 2-3 years based on recent performances

Jaakkola didn't work in a "play it out from the back" set up, but we don't do that any more.

Depends what you mean by "play it out from the back"? Most his passes were short to Ilori right? And Jaakkola often kicks it out of play.

I thought he was about 26 and we were seeing a marked improvement from a player with a large amount of football for us ahead of him. Hence my shock.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 28 Nov 2018 17:28

Hound Would look to get rid of, for whatever we could get:

Mannone
Harriott
McShane
Clement
Meyler
Aluko
Edwards
Popa

Loans for
East
House
Richards
McNulty

Would like a new CB

Happy with everyone else in the squad. Possibly new deals for Blackett and Anssi

This is the list I would go with. We need to get rid of about eight players with a view to bringing in about three.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 28 Nov 2018 17:32

leon There might be a few desperate teams looking for an injection of "creativity" so might go for Aluko or Swift.

As much as I liked Swift, he started brightly but has regressed.

Maidenhead for Aluko then.....though the level may still be a bit high for him.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 28 Nov 2018 20:00

This must be wishful thinking from the lot of you, no way in hell we'll be able to shift Aluko, he's with us until either his contract runs out or he miraculously rediscovers some form.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Nov 2018 20:07

tidus_mi2 This must be wishful thinking from the lot of you, no way in hell we'll be able to shift Aluko, he's with us until either his contract runs out or he miraculously rediscovers some form.

Of course it's wishful thinking.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 28 Nov 2018 20:35

NewCorkSeth
tidus_mi2 This must be wishful thinking from the lot of you, no way in hell we'll be able to shift Aluko, he's with us until either his contract runs out or he miraculously rediscovers some form.

Of course it's wishful thinking.

Cut price move to Scotland where he’s still got some reputation?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 28 Nov 2018 21:07

I rember saying at the time we signed Aluko that we'd be mad to pay more than £2m. Now I'd gladly give him away.

alfie9

by alfie9 » 28 Nov 2018 22:38

Clement.

Although if I had my way it'd be much earlier

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 28 Nov 2018 23:20

Shocked no one has mentioned Liam Kelly. The bloke has 1 good game out of every 10. Lacks the physicality to impose himself in games. Rinomhota already looks 5x the player he is.

Added to this, Kelly seems to have a good reputation from outside the club (Rangers reportedly interested) so we might get a decent fee for him.

Either way, it’s either him or Swift that needs to be moved on, and we’ve at least seen enough from Swift to suggest he’s more than capable at this level (if played in that no.10 role, unlike being made to play out of position last night!)

Signing 2 small strikers in Baldock & McNulty was a mistake...1 of them needs to go

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 29 Nov 2018 09:41

alfie9 Clement.

Agreed.

Just hasn't worked out for Pelle here, another poor signing from Tevreden and Stam. Expect him to go back to Holland where the less physical aspect of the game may aid his development.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Nov 2018 10:08

sandman
alfie9 Clement.

Agreed.

Just hasn't worked out for Pelle here, another poor signing from Tevreden and Stam. Expect him to go back to Holland where the less physical aspect of the game may aid his development.

I'm surprised he hasn't got more of a go actually. He seems to be the kind of high energy midfielder that Paul C likes. Did watch one preseason game when him and Rino played very well in Central mid.

but think its time to move on, now that Rino has fully emerged, and Eza has signed

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 29 Nov 2018 10:16

Judging the kind of wages we are paying I would imagine a few going off on loan only. Aluko to Brentford at a cut price fee perhaps??

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Nov 2018 10:26

Hound
sandman
alfie9 Clement.

Agreed.

I'm surprised he hasn't got more of a go actually. He seems to be the kind of high energy midfielder that Paul C likes. Did watch one preseason game when him and Rino played very well in Central mid.

but think its time to move on, now that Rino has fully emerged, and Eza has signed

I really thought he would work out alright last season but seems to have dropped off so much. How long was he injured for?

Agree that his path back into the first team is hampered by Rinomhota and our general need for more all action mids.

Ranty McRantface

by Ranty McRantface » 29 Nov 2018 13:06

NewCorkSeth
Hound
sandman
Agreed.

I really thought he would work out alright last season but seems to have dropped off so much. How long was he injured for?

Agree that his path back into the first team is hampered by Rinomhota and our general need for more all action mids.

Personally, I think Pelle's best position is in Swift's position but Clement seems a bit reluctant to remove him from the match day squad and allow someone else to play there. I do like Pelle and I think his application has been really good when he plays but it's probably best for him to move on for the sake of his career.

Basildon

by Basildon » 29 Nov 2018 14:10

paddy20 Judging the kind of wages we are paying I would imagine a few going off on loan only. Aluko to Brentford at a cut price fee perhaps??

Why Brentford?

Old Man Andrews

Re: Who goes in June?

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Apr 2019 08:50

Current to go list:

McNulty
Bodvarsson
Baldock
McCleary
McShane
Jaakkola
Walker
Kelly
Meyler
Gunter
John O'Shea
Van Den Berg
Aluko
Popa
Last edited by Old Man Andrews on 04 Apr 2019 09:09, edited 2 times in total.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 04 Apr 2019 08:56

Old Man Andrews Current to go list:

McNulty
Bodvarsson
Baldock
McCleary
McShane
Jaakkola
Walker
Kelly
Meyler
Gunter
John O'Shea

Aluko, JVDB, Popa I would also add to the list

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Apr 2019 08:59

McNulty
Bodvarsson
Baldock
McCleary
McShane
Jaakkola
Walker
Kelly
Meyler
Gunter
John O'Shea

few variables, but taking it this is on the assumption we stay up.

I'd keep one of Bod or Baldock, try to sell the other. I'd keep McCleary - last year of his contract anyway I think, and he still does a reasonable job for us. All the others yes. I'd try to keep Harriott - cheap option and a good squad player.

If we need money, wouldn't be upset to see Barrow sold off for a decent amount (4m+). We also need to trim down the U23s, its probably time to say goodbye to a quite a few of them. The likes of Barratt and Watson probably need to either step up into the first team squad or go.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Apr 2019 09:09

linkenholtroyal

McNulty
Bodvarsson
Baldock
McCleary
McShane
Jaakkola
Walker