New Manager

1436 posts
Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: New Manager

by Victor Meldrew » 21 Dec 2018 16:59

Sutekh Meanwhile looks like compensation talks have hit a few glitches and Mr Gomes will not be announced before Monday. It's either that or he's been diverted and gone missing in the Gatwick aftermath.

Debut game. Millwall away.

I still expect a Madejski-type stunt with the new manager parachuting in just before kick-off wearing a Father Christmas outfit.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 21 Dec 2018 16:59

Sutekh Meanwhile looks like compensation talks have hit a few glitches and Mr Gomes will not be announced before Monday. It's either that or he's been diverted and gone missing in the Gatwick aftermath.

I still expect a Madejski-type stunt with the new manager parachuting in just before kick-off wearing a Father Christmas outfit.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 21 Dec 2018 17:20

Rio Ave play on Sunday then aren't in action til the new year.

It's simple, he's made plans for Christmas and can't cancel.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 21 Dec 2018 18:16

Gomes out.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 21 Dec 2018 18:19

Gunny Fishcake
Zip
Nameless We’re treated like shit are we ?
Check how much we pay for tickets, not many clubs where you pay less and they’ve kept prices for STH and kids lowfor several years.
We’ve had huge subsidy of expensive cup tickets.
In what way do the club treat us badly ?
Crowds have dropped because we’ve not been winning or playing well, but neither of those are deliberate policies of the owners.

Agreed.

I retract the word sh*t , but still think the rubbish food and drinks at ripoff prices , rip off parking at the club is poor

The parking is expensive because the club are trying to encourage more people to use public transport to alleviate congestion.

The food is outsourced to Compass.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 21 Dec 2018 18:26

Tilehurstsouthbank
Zip
Gunny Fishcake
I retract the word sh*t , but still think the rubbish food and drinks at ripoff prices , rip off parking at the club is poor

The parking at the Stadium has been a rip off. However you have other options. I use the Mereoak park and ride and think it’s an excellent service. The price is £5.50 return for me and my lad. I can’t fault that. Yes the food and drink prices are steep but they are at every football club. Our season ticket prices are superb especially for younger fans.
There is a lot to be critical of especially on the pitch but let’s give the club credit when it’s fully deserved.

Top post Zip.

+2

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Dec 2018 18:36

Norfolk Royal Baffling appointment, fear of the unknown. As ever results will be the determinant of the new manager's time here.

I'll just throw Daniel Farke's name out there. He was Borussia Dortmund's second team manager when he came to Norwich. He could actually have been sacked shortly into his tenure as well but they stuck with him. See where they are now.

No doubt some would argue that Farke's qualification is better than Gomes, even though Gomes is managing a first team.

The point being that appointing a complete unknown with his own ideas and style of play, can work well. It is not a given that this will be a disaster. It may be, it may not.

It's a daft argument Norrers. A couple of examples of inexperienced foreign managers doing well under different circumstances does nothing to invalidate anyone's concern about this guy.

Of course it's not impossible he'll be great. It'd just be nice if the odds were stacked more towards it rather than it being based on fairy dust and moonshine

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 21 Dec 2018 18:36

Woodcote Royal
Tilehurstsouthbank
Zip
The parking at the Stadium has been a rip off. However you have other options. I use the Mereoak park and ride and think it’s an excellent service. The price is £5.50 return for me and my lad. I can’t fault that. Yes the food and drink prices are steep but they are at every football club. Our season ticket prices are superb especially for younger fans.
There is a lot to be critical of especially on the pitch but let’s give the club credit when it’s fully deserved.

Top post Zip.

+2

Thought this was about the new "manager" thread, but to add my twopence worth I used to park in St Saviour's Road for free and walk to the Mad Stad. Took a good half hour, and not nice when cold and rainy and we'd just been beaten but hey ho - happy daze!

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 21 Dec 2018 18:44

Barcelona Blue My excitement/expectation level with Jovanovic would have been an 8, with Ainsworth an 8 too,....with this guy its a 1 but ill give him a 2 , so maybe could be presently surprised .

expecting more portuguese mid range players coming through the door through same agent any lets hope im wrong

https://www.football.london/reading-fc/jose-gomes-set-take-charge-15585660

The 48-year-old has accepted a two-and-a-half year deal with Royals which is worth a reported €11m, according to Portuguese media.

Reading are set to pay up to €1m for his services and it is understood he will earn more than four times what he did in Portgual.

Gomes is also set to bring his coaching staff with him to Royals, including coaches Jorge Mendonça and Augusto Gama, along with goalkeeping coach Jorge Baptista.

Jeez that oxf*rd Iranian spiv is in for a oxf*rd good payday. oxf*rd. Wonder if he'll get in on finding jobs at other clubs for the poor sods being booted out by this oxf*rd riff raff coming in?

Merry oxf*rd Christmas Chinese owners - how's you tax dodge/getting capital out of China coming along?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 21 Dec 2018 18:47

Snowflake Royal Of course it's not impossible he'll be great. It'd just be nice if the odds were stacked more towards it rather than it being based on fairy dust and moonshine

With the league position we're in there's no second chances. Very easily become detached within a few games. Be interesting to know if he's been offered long term job guarantees. Be a pointless appointment if we get relegated and he gets the sack. As we'll be no further forward in terms of rebuilding the team.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 21 Dec 2018 18:55

To all those Clement out guys, it was careful what you wish for. it could be out of the frying pan into the fire,

But I`m prepared to wait and see how it goes.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Dec 2018 18:58

Lower West
Snowflake Royal Of course it's not impossible he'll be great. It'd just be nice if the odds were stacked more towards it rather than it being based on fairy dust and moonshine

With the league position we're in there's no second chances. Very easily become detached within a few games. Be interesting to know if he's been offered long term job guarantees. Be a pointless appointment if we get relegated and he gets the sack. As we'll be no further forward in terms of rebuilding the team.

I can't see how a manager could survive relegation, which is my only reservation for the likes of Parky, although I think he'd have as good a chance of saving us as anyone, we just seem destined to drop

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 21 Dec 2018 19:23

windermereROYAL To all those Clement out guys, it was careful what you wish for. it could be out of the frying pan into the fire,

I'm fearing Stam and co MK2. Trying to play a style for which the players at their disposal are technically ill equipped.

Stam's recent interview was revealing.

'Maybe my style of play is better suited to the Premier League than in the Championship'

Bloody obvious! We could all see that. So why persevere with a style was never going to work.............. :twisted:

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Dec 2018 20:02

Lower West
windermereROYAL To all those Clement out guys, it was careful what you wish for. it could be out of the frying pan into the fire,

I'm fearing Stam and co MK2. Trying to play a style for which the players at their disposal are technically ill equipped.

Stam's recent interview was revealing.

'Maybe my style of play is better suited to the Premier League than in the Championship'

Bloody obvious! We could all see that. So why persevere with a style was never going to work.............. :twisted:

Indeed and then to complain about the lack of funds for player investment when he had been backed to the hilt in 2017. No other Reading manager in our history received the financial backing Stam received. He didn’t seem to understand this.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 21 Dec 2018 20:07

I was Clement out because I was never Clement in. I thought it was a really risky appointment. I feel the same about Gomes, but I won’t be vocal about it. I will give him a chance. However, I do feel we are destined for League One now.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 21 Dec 2018 20:15

strap
Barcelona Blue My excitement/expectation level with Jovanovic would have been an 8, with Ainsworth an 8 too,....with this guy its a 1 but ill give him a 2 , so maybe could be presently surprised .

expecting more portuguese mid range players coming through the door through same agent any lets hope im wrong

The 48-year-old has accepted a two-and-a-half year deal with Royals which is worth a reported €11m, according to Portuguese media.

Reading are set to pay up to €1m for his services and it is understood he will earn more than four times what he did in Portgual.

Gomes is also set to bring his coaching staff with him to Royals, including coaches Jorge Mendonça and Augusto Gama, along with goalkeeping coach Jorge Baptista.

Jeez that oxf*rd Iranian spiv is in for a oxf*rd good payday. oxf*rd. Wonder if he'll get in on finding jobs at other clubs for the poor sods being booted out by this oxf*rd riff raff coming in?

Merry oxf*rd Christmas Chinese owners - how's you tax dodge/getting capital out of China coming along?

If true that RFC have paid a release of 1 million euros and are paying him 11 million over 2.5 years then either the owners are mad or you have to wonder if there are some dodgy dealings going on. Seriously no one had even heard of him until recently and he was our third choice Portuguese manager by the sound of it. Bonkers.

Tazewell Royal

by Tazewell Royal » 21 Dec 2018 20:45

What's the obsession with Gatwick? There are at least 4 airlines that fly from Porto (Jose's nearest airport) to Heathrow.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 21 Dec 2018 21:12

andrew1957
strap

If true that RFC have paid a release of 1 million euros and are paying him 11 million over 2.5 years then either the owners are mad or you have to wonder if there are some dodgy dealings going on. Seriously no one had even heard of him until recently and he was our third choice Portuguese manager by the sound of it. Bonkers.

I'm calling total and utter bullshit on him getting 11m over 2 and a half years. That's £4m a year which would make him something like the 7th highest paid manager in England and on over twice as much as Gareth Southgate.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 21 Dec 2018 21:16

I think that's a bit unfair. No one in their right mind could have foreseen such an illogical and baffling turn of events. This is so far beyond the realms of rational its untrue.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 21 Dec 2018 21:23

The "Bonkers Appointment" is possibly the most appropriate title for the whole fiasco! Perhaps crashing the club is the secret plan for levelling the Madstad for redevelopment???

1436 posts