New Manager

1436 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: New Manager

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Dec 2018 17:49

We're still a day or so shy of how long Martin Kuhl was interim manager and that was only about three years ago.

Back in the day when tapping up was way less common I'm sure you could have a couple of months go by in some cases. It just feels ages because we're in the middle of it and news is 24/7 these days.

Going back further in l
Our records it looks like a month used to be quite Standard.

Pardew to Coppell another example.
Last edited by Snowflake Royal on 20 Dec 2018 17:53, edited 1 time in total.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Dec 2018 17:52

Snowflake Royal We're still a day or so shy of how long Martin Kuhl was interim manager and that was only about three years ago.

Back in the day when tapping up was way less common I'm sure you could have a couple of months go by in some cases. It just feels ages because we're in the middle of it and news is 24/7 these days

It’s only a fortnight since Clement was sacked. It seems longer.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 20 Dec 2018 17:52

I have a really bad feeling about this.......

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Dec 2018 17:55

Does sound like it’s happening

Bloody weird appointment. Doesn’t scream success, but happy to give Him a go

KentRoyal

by KentRoyal » 20 Dec 2018 17:55

strap
andrew1957

I really hope I am proved wrong but my prediction is that he gets us relegated and that we sack him at the end of the season and appoint someone like Ainsworth who has League 1 experience. Mad appointment IMO.

Spot on. His "record", such as it is, is pathetic in the extreme. Couple of screen grabs from his Wiki page :

I predict he will buy half a dozen useless nobodies from the Iranian spiv's "stable" of "clients" in teh January window, we will be stuck rooted in the bottom 3, he will be gone by Easter with his contract paid in full of course, and we will start next season in League 1 in administration with a 10 point penalty.

Merry bloody Christmas Chinese owners, Merry bloody Christmas.

:wink:

“Current team: Reading” I’d laugh if he doesn’t become our manager now

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 20 Dec 2018 17:59

Hound Does sound like it’s happening

Agreed here.....but I’m very cynical about why it is happening and fearful of the deeper mess we are going to be plunged in to.....Got League One written all over it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Dec 2018 18:10

Kitsondinho

Agreed here.....but I’m very cynical about why it is happening and fearful of the deeper mess we are going to be plunged in to.....Got League One written all over it.

+1 Obviously once in post and at games he gets the same backing anyone would. But I'm not impressed and expect to be saying 'I told you so' in April/May.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 20 Dec 2018 18:14

Whoever we sign will be a high stakes gamble given our league position but trashing Gomes in favour of the current managers of Bolton and Wycombe Wanderers amounts to little more than fear of the unknown.

Throwing a Pardew into the hat would be a game changer..............................

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 20 Dec 2018 18:14

strap
Old Man Andrews Somebody (none of the local press will) needs to get to the bottom of why we are seemingly obessesed with getting a Portuguese manager in at all costs. What is the connection? There is obviously something in it for someone.

It's the Iranian spiv's doing. Watch Gomes now buy half a dozen of the Iranian spiv's clients in the upcoming transfer window. All will be utter dross nobodies and will come at huge cost and salaries.

What I just don't get is why the club is letting the guy have so much influence.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Dec 2018 18:14

Snowflake Royal
Kitsondinho

+1 Obviously once in post and at games he gets the same backing anyone would. But I'm not impressed and expect to be saying 'I told you so' in April/May.

You told who so?

I think we’re all in agreement on this one for once.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Dec 2018 18:17

If he does come then obviously I wish him well. His track record does not such longevity at Reading FC. Baffled why we have gone all out to get him.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Dec 2018 18:18

Woodcote Royal Whoever we sign will be a high stakes gamble given our league position but trashing Gomes in favour of the current managers of Bolton and Wycombe Wanderers amounts to little more than fear of the unknown.

Throwing a Pardew into the hat would be a game changer..............................

I would have gone for Pardew.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 20 Dec 2018 18:19

strap
andrew1957

I really hope I am proved wrong but my prediction is that he gets us relegated and that we sack him at the end of the season and appoint someone like Ainsworth who has League 1 experience. Mad appointment IMO.

Spot on. His "record", such as it is, is pathetic in the extreme. Couple of screen grabs from his Wiki page :

I predict he will buy half a dozen useless nobodies from the Iranian spiv's "stable" of "clients" in teh January window, we will be stuck rooted in the bottom 3, he will be gone by Easter with his contract paid in full of course, and we will start next season in League 1 in administration with a 10 point penalty.

Completely agree
his record at Rio Ave is not on there aswell
W5 D4 L4 in the league they have failed to win the last 5 aswell.

Honestly I would Rather have Stam back. and that says a lot. we have got so many great managers homegrown and we insist in chasing these flashy foreign managers.

They have proven there stones as players in these leagues and also some as managers. I would take Ainsworth, Parky, Cowley, Chris Powell, Brian Clough the names are countless. I would even take Chris Coleman.

But we go for a sodding Portuguese guy that has absolutely no idea about English football and cant even speak the language. I am glad I did not renew my ST this year. TBH I have only been to 2 games this year and until things get better and the club I loved for 20+ years starts to reappear I will not be renewing. They seriously need to find there identity again and if that means going down and starting again I would take that right now.

I would love to be proved wrong but I don't think I will.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Dec 2018 18:19

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Kitsondinho Agreed here.....but I’m very cynical about why it is happening and fearful of the deeper mess we are going to be plunged in to.....Got League One written all over it.

You told who so?

I think we’re all in agreement on this one for once.

Us three certainly, but there seemed to be a few getting their knickers moist about him when he first got suggested. Maybe my perception is way out.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 20 Dec 2018 18:22

I’m not sold on this guy, but I’m certainly not going to hold a grudge against him for the entirety of his time here, like some supporters undoubtedly will.

Get behind him and give him some support.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 20 Dec 2018 18:23

Zip If he does come then obviously I wish him well. His track record does not such longevity at Reading FC. Baffled why we have gone all out to get him.

The more I think about this the more baffled I get. I could have got quite excited about Ainsworth for example. Relatively young up an coming manager who I could have seen here for some years. But this. A foreign manager no one had heard of with a relatively poor record whose teams can't defend and we have paid 1 million euros to get him. Very odd indeed. If we wanted to be relegated why not just stick with Clement. Or perhaps he was stuffing up the master plan by actually improving the team a little in his last 5-6 games.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 20 Dec 2018 18:24

"Give him a go"! Oh boy if that attitude is commonplace l believe we are doomed! It sounds like it isn't important or desperate, but merely trivial. The problem is now, immediate and all too real we need a relegation dog fighter and we are getting a poodle!

Ranty McRantface

by Ranty McRantface » 20 Dec 2018 18:33

linkenholtroyal
strap
andrew1957

Completely agree
his record at Rio Ave is not on there aswell
W5 D4 L4 in the league they have failed to win the last 5 aswell.

Honestly I would Rather have Stam back. and that says a lot. we have got so many great managers homegrown and we insist in chasing these flashy foreign managers.

They have proven there stones as players in these leagues and also some as managers. I would take Ainsworth, Parky, Cowley, Chris Powell, Brian Clough the names are countless. I would even take Chris Coleman.

But we go for a sodding Portuguese guy that has absolutely no idea about English football and cant even speak the language. I am glad I did not renew my ST this year. TBH I have only been to 2 games this year and until things get better and the club I loved for 20+ years starts to reappear I will not be renewing. They seriously need to find there identity again and if that means going down and starting again I would take that right now.

I would love to be proved wrong but I don't think I will.

You come across quite ignorant with your can't even speak english comment.

Jose Gomes can speak fluent English. He can speak a few languages actually.

Aside from that, I'm not a fan tbh. Not based on his nationality like some of you are insinuating but based on my 20 plus years of watching games in the Portuguese top flight.

Luis would have been like us taking Eddie Howe from Bournemouth but we've missed out and gone for Jose. He's ok. He's done better but he's never really been on anyone's radar and they're are better managers we could have gone for.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 20 Dec 2018 18:35

I did not know that Kia Joorabchain went to school at Shiplake College.

As for Gomes, odd choice and not my first, I would rather we got Ainsworth but lets wait and see. I just hope that the club led on this appointment and continue to lead in any subsequent transfer dealings.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 20 Dec 2018 18:43, edited 2 times in total.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 20 Dec 2018 18:36

If rumours are indeed true. Seems a puzzling appointment. Not least that it fails to meet the brief of bringing back the "Reading Way" in any shape or form. Might as well have left Clement in charge and seen how the season out. Whatever the outcome.

No news on the new DoF yet. Equally if not more important than the manager at the current time.

Mind you if Manure can appoint Ole then who are us to say who makes a good manager.

1436 posts