New Manager

1436 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: New Manager

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Dec 2018 13:21

Somebody (none of the local press will) needs to get to the bottom of why we are seemingly obessesed with getting a Portuguese manager in at all costs. What is the connection? There is obviously something in it for someone.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 20 Dec 2018 13:26

Stranded Some murmurings on Twitter (yeah, I know) that the deal for Gomes is essentially done and just down to haggling over a release fee - we've offered €750k, Rio Ave want €1m.

Could well be announced as manager tomorrow.

He ruled himself out yesterday...

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Dec 2018 13:27

genome
Stranded Some murmurings on Twitter (yeah, I know) that the deal for Gomes is essentially done and just down to haggling over a release fee - we've offered €750k, Rio Ave want €1m.

Which we all know in football means diddly squat. Gone beyond caring on this one, either he comes or he doesn't.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 20 Dec 2018 13:28

Stranded
genome

Which we all know in football means diddly squat. Gone beyond caring on this one, either he comes or he doesn't.

I've gone beyond caring about the manager search in general tbf.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Dec 2018 13:28

genome

Depending on which report you wish to believe.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 20 Dec 2018 13:32

Actually, reading his direct quotes, he didn't really rule himself out as such.

He said something along the lines of "I've left it up to the club, and I'm focused on Rio Ave"

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 20 Dec 2018 13:46

Nameless
Hoop Blah
Nameless There was not a lot in the CV’s of McGhee, Pardew or Mc Dermott to suggest they would be successful. Even Coppell was a risk.

McGhee was a real punt at the time and in this day and age he probably would've been sacked before Christmas of his first season in charge!

Not only is football quite different now, but RFC is a completely different club too and can't really afford to take such a punt as Sir John did nearly 30 years ago.

Isn’t any appointment a punt ? Some massive clubs have appointed big name managers with stacks of trophies in their lockers who have then utterly flopped. I’m not sure how you guarantee that you pick someone who will be successful. Of course you can try and minimise the risk but there’s a huge element of gamble involved. You would have thought Stam would have ticked all the boxes - high profile name with superb record as a player, served managerial apprenticeship at top European club with reputation for developing talent, knowledge of English football, plenty to prove....

Yeah, of course all appointments, all transfers and all team selections are a bit of a punt as there's no certainties in sport.

As you say, you try to minimise risk by going on track record and previous performance etc, but you never really know what's going to work and what isn't (despite the strength of opinion you might see from people who aren't having to make the decisions).

With McGhee he was even more of a punt because he hadn't coached or managed, he'd just decided that he fancied it as his playing career was coming to an end. Fergie giving him his seal of approval went some way to getting him the job (IIRC) but essentially he was appointed off the back of his character and ambition.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 20 Dec 2018 14:07

Old Man Andrews Somebody (none of the local press will) needs to get to the bottom of why we are seemingly obessesed with getting a Portuguese manager in at all costs. What is the connection? There is obviously something in it for someone.

If there was something in it for someone and palms were being greased, no one is going to admit it and I doubt any journalist would get to the bottom of it, be it JLow or Paxman.

Unless it is breaking the law and lawsuit is bought before the parties and it goes to court will that information become available.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Dec 2018 14:18

Latest is that Gomes says it's in the hands of his club. Which to me means if they agree a comp. package he'll accept the offer.

Franconian Royal

by Franconian Royal » 20 Dec 2018 16:29

I’ve read through this thread and some of the names that have been mentioned are silly.
I agree with the posters who have said we should look at Ainsworth and the Cowleys. An up-and-coming manager is what we need, someone who knows the English leagues.
Names such as Parky, Murty etc (ie club legends) are no good to us. They’re not proven at this level and it would tarnish their names. Parky is struggling more than us at the moment.
We’ve seen what happens when the Iranian influence is used.
To sum up, I’d like the club to contact Gareth Ainsworth or the Cowleys.

No I’m not a newbie, I used to be Colchester Royal amongst other people, but thank you anyway for the warm welcome. :)

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 20 Dec 2018 16:37

Franconian Royal I’ve read through this thread and some of the names that have been mentioned are silly.
I agree with the posters who have said we should look at Ainsworth and the Cowleys. An up-and-coming manager is what we need, someone who knows the English leagues.
Names such as Parky, Murty etc (ie club legends) are no good to us. They’re not proven at this level and it would tarnish their names. Parky is struggling more than us at the moment.

No I’m not a newbie, I used to be Colchester Royal amongst other people, but thank you anyway for the warm welcome. :)

Complains about managers who aren’t proven at this level.

Wants managers who aren’t proven at this level.

Ok then.

pwb

by pwb » 20 Dec 2018 16:38

Franconian Royal

by Franconian Royal » 20 Dec 2018 16:54

CountryRoyal
Franconian Royal I’ve read through this thread and some of the names that have been mentioned are silly.

Complains about managers who aren’t proven at this level.

Wants managers who aren’t proven at this level.

Ok

I’d prefer an Ainsworth to a Gomes or another Portuguese manager who has no idea about English football.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 20 Dec 2018 17:09

I really hope I am proved wrong but my prediction is that he gets us relegated and that we sack him at the end of the season and appoint someone like Ainsworth who has League 1 experience. Mad appointment IMO.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 20 Dec 2018 17:10

Old Man Andrews Somebody (none of the local press will) needs to get to the bottom of why we are seemingly obessesed with getting a Portuguese manager in at all costs. What is the connection? There is obviously something in it for someone.

It's the Iranian spiv's doing. Watch Gomes now buy half a dozen of the Iranian spiv's clients in the upcoming transfer window. All will be utter dross nobodies and will come at huge cost and salaries.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 20 Dec 2018 17:12

strap

It's the Iranian spiv's doing. Watch Gomes now buy half a dozen of the Iranian spiv's clients in the upcoming transfer window. All will be utter dross nobodies and will come at huge cost and salaries.

Business as usual then.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 20 Dec 2018 17:12

I suppose the club hierarchy think that "any" foreign manager (even one no one had ever heard of until a week or so ago) is better than "any" British manager!

Rant over.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 20 Dec 2018 17:14

andrew1957

I really hope I am proved wrong but my prediction is that he gets us relegated and that we sack him at the end of the season and appoint someone like Ainsworth who has League 1 experience. Mad appointment IMO.

Spot on. His "record", such as it is, is pathetic in the extreme. Couple of screen grabs from his Wiki page :

I predict he will buy half a dozen useless nobodies from the Iranian spiv's "stable" of "clients" in teh January window, we will be stuck rooted in the bottom 3, he will be gone by Easter with his contract paid in full of course, and we will start next season in League 1 in administration with a 10 point penalty.

Merry bloody Christmas Chinese owners, Merry bloody Christmas.

:wink:

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 20 Dec 2018 17:15

strap

Indeed we need some new players. We only have about 35 wasters in the first team squad already. Perhaps we can add a few more and make the squad even more bloated.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 20 Dec 2018 17:40

Anyone know what the record for the longest amount of time a team has gone without an official manager in place is?

1436 posts