New Manager

1436 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: New Manager

by Hound » 21 Dec 2018 21:38

Obvs it’s more fun to be all outraged at the appointment, but don’t think it’s necessarily a terrible one. Just a bit strange

He has done one with Rio from the look of it and sounds fairly highly rated over there.

Not saying it’s a great appointment, but not a guaranteed failure either

Don’t for one minute to pretend to know anything about the league, but the only 5 clubs above them are the 4 major ones and the one Castro is at
Last edited by Hound on 21 Dec 2018 21:46, edited 2 times in total.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 21 Dec 2018 21:43

Whatever Ian Royal says

An opportunity missed

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 21 Dec 2018 21:46

Eaststandman The "Bonkers Appointment" is possibly the most appropriate title for the whole fiasco! Perhaps crashing the club is the secret plan for levelling the Madstad for redevelopment???

Then that would make the millions they spent on Bearwood a little puzzling don`t you think?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 21 Dec 2018 22:06

Zip
leon
Zip
The parking at the Stadium has been a rip off. However you have other options. I use the Mereoak park and ride and think it’s an excellent service. The price is £5.50 return for me and my lad. I can’t fault that. Yes the food and drink prices are steep but they are at every football club. Our season ticket prices are superb especially for younger fans.
There is a lot to be critical of especially on the pitch but let’s give the club credit when it’s fully deserved.

Has Mereoak substantially improved in the last 18 months?

I stopped using it when it became apparent that unless you left the ground on 85 mins you'd have to wait at least 30 mins for the next bus. Waiting 45 mins in the pissing rain with the jnr leons 2 games running was the final straw.

On average the wait is about twenty minutes after the game. It takes around ten minutes to get back to the carpark once you get on a bus with the bonus that I am back on the motorway within five minutes thereafter. It would take me longer to get back to the motorway parking at the Stadium or other parking sites close to the ground so I’m happy with it and it’s cheap.
Yes the queues can be long but they go down pretty quickly. I don’t want no jnr leons running amok whilst I’m waiting for my bus back btw.

The jnr leons are far more civilised than snr leon. Who does run amok on occasion.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 21 Dec 2018 22:14

Hound
He has done one with Rio from the look of it and sounds fairly highly rated over there.

Reports I've read suggest otherwise. Castro was highly rated. This guy isn't.

I find it incredible that people at the top aren't asking why we are being advised to go all out to get a journeyman nobody as a manager.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 21 Dec 2018 22:32

tmesis
Hound

I find it incredible that people at the top aren't asking why we are being advised to go all out to get a journeyman nobody as a manager.

I really hope it comes off but really this is utter fcuking lunacy.

I’d have Clement back.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 21 Dec 2018 22:33

tmesis I find it incredible that people at the top aren't asking why we are being advised to go all out to get a journeyman nobody as a manager.

Their money. Their club. Their way.

Like a competition between the Chinese billionaires to be the first to to win the Premiership.

In the process ruining the game we all love.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 21 Dec 2018 22:46

1992 predates them

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Dec 2018 22:55

Lower West
windermereROYAL To all those Clement out guys, it was careful what you wish for. it could be out of the frying pan into the fire,

But I`m prepared to wait and see how it goes.

I'm fearing Stam and co MK2. Trying to play a style for which the players at their disposal are technically ill equipped.

Stam's recent interview was revealing.

'Maybe my style of play is better suited to the Premier League than in the Championship'

Bloody obvious! We could all see that. So why persevere with a style was never going to work.............. :twisted:

What a fukwit. There isn't a magic system to auto win. You adapt and tailor to amplify your strengths, reduce your weaknesses and vice versa for the opposition. By having an inflexible system and just making excuses that he wasn't in the right division, when he hasn't remotely earned the chance to play in the Premier League, shows he simply hasn't got what it takes still.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 21 Dec 2018 23:01

tmesis
Hound

This. I’ll be amazed if this appointment proves to be a big step up from getting someone like Parky in. Just seems expensive and pointless.

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 21 Dec 2018 23:37

andrew1957 If true that RFC have paid a release of 1 million euros and are paying him 11 million over 2.5 years then either the owners are mad or you have to wonder if there are some dodgy dealings going on.

Or the 11m is say 500k a year plus a 10m bonus for promotion (to the PL, not from L1).

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 21 Dec 2018 23:44

Snowflake Royal
Lower West
windermereROYAL To all those Clement out guys, it was careful what you wish for. it could be out of the frying pan into the fire,

But I`m prepared to wait and see how it goes.

I'm fearing Stam and co MK2. Trying to play a style for which the players at their disposal are technically ill equipped.

Stam's recent interview was revealing.

'Maybe my style of play is better suited to the Premier League than in the Championship'

Bloody obvious! We could all see that. So why persevere with a style was never going to work.............. :twisted:

What a fukwit. There isn't a magic system to auto win. You adapt and tailor to amplify your strengths, reduce your weaknesses and vice versa for the opposition. By having an inflexible system and just making excuses that he wasn't in the right division, when he hasn't remotely earned the chance to play in the Premier League, shows he simply hasn't got what it takes still.

Yeah fukking YAWN Stan.

There was NOTHING. special about his football. Nothing clever, nothing tactical. Nor Adkins', Clarke's, Rodgers's or Clement's.

Slow tedious possession football is bullsh*t in this country. Always has been, always will be. Fukk off back to the continent if you want to bore teams into submission

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 21 Dec 2018 23:56

Kitsondinho
tmesis
Hound

This. I’ll be amazed if this appointment proves to be a big step up from getting someone like Parky in. Just seems expensive and pointless.

Suggests there was no plan. Other than one of desperation. Just another revolving door club under foreign ownership. Football is rapidly losing it's soul. A game awash with money.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 22 Dec 2018 00:13

Lower West
tmesis I find it incredible that people at the top aren't asking why we are being advised to go all out to get a journeyman nobody as a manager.

Their money. Their club. Their way.

Like a competition between the Chinese billionaires to be the first to to win the Premiership.

In the process ruining the game we all love.

They are, or course, free to appoint whoever they want.

I just can't work out why they'd want him.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 22 Dec 2018 00:16

John Madejski's Wallet Yeah fukking YAWN Stan.

There was NOTHING. special about his football. Nothing clever, nothing tactical. Nor Adkins', Clarke's, Rodgers's or Clement's.

Slow tedious possession football is bullsh*t in this country. Always has been, always will be. Fukk off back to the continent if you want to bore teams into submission

Dutch football is fine, and isn't boring at all.

It's also nothing like the football we played.

Strangely, watching the U23s game the other night, it appeared that Marshall got them playing the sort of possession football that Stam was probably aiming for. It's just weird that it's possible to coach younger players to play that way, but not senior pros. Or at least nor our senior pros.

RIOS

by RIOS » 22 Dec 2018 00:38

Hi all! Portuguese living in Reading and a big SL Benfica supporter here!

This is my first post btw and I just want to say that José Gomes is indeed a big risk.

From the Portuguese league I would definitely go for Luis Castro, a lot more knowledge on the game and training.

If the owners want a Portuguese coach for some reason, I would prefer Vítor Pereria over Luis Castro every day of the week!

Jose Gomes is one of those coaches that you don’t expect a lot, and his teams are brilliant from what I’ve seen in the Portuguese League.

Although I don’t like him a lot If he joins Reading I will be supporting him! :)

nailseabiscuitman

by nailseabiscuitman » 22 Dec 2018 01:04

Getting quite depressed about the way people are approaching this appointment. Most comments are based on very little actual knowledge. So, ok we are getting a manager we know not a lot about but some of the language used towards him, if he read them he' d certainly change his mind about coming here. You nothing of the circumstances of the jobs hes been in, did he inherit a dodgy squad, did he have money to spend, did he do the job he was employed to do etc etc. It would appear we were actually going for a managed who was employed by a club rather than someone out of work so this is obviously fraught with periods as you are always in danger of being turned down, as per Castro. So now who would you prefer? Someone out of work, sacked as deemed not good enough at their last club?
So Bruce was denigrated on here on here but his record stood up t Slovanovic or had you not noticed just how poorly Fulham were playing.
Then we have Parkinson, loved him as a player but still a risk , or Ainsworth, hardly an instant success at Wycombe. Would people on here be patient enough with him or would we have been heading the way Ipswich were.
In my 57 years of watching Reading believe me I have seen some crap managers, but I've also seen the board take punts on people and it's really worked. I'd never heard of Jack Mansell but what a delight his football was.
So how about giving this guy a bit of support and stop looking for conspiracy theories about agents. You have absolutely no idea who was consulted in the selection process so get over yourselves and support him. You never know, he just might be what is needed

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Dec 2018 09:02

nailseabiscuitman Getting quite depressed about the way people are approaching this appointment. Most comments are based on very little actual knowledge. So, ok we are getting a manager we know not a lot about but some of the language used towards him, if he read them he' d certainly change his mind about coming here. You nothing of the circumstances of the jobs hes been in, did he inherit a dodgy squad, did he have money to spend, did he do the job he was employed to do etc etc. It would appear we were actually going for a managed who was employed by a club rather than someone out of work so this is obviously fraught with periods as you are always in danger of being turned down, as per Castro. So now who would you prefer? Someone out of work, sacked as deemed not good enough at their last club?
So Bruce was denigrated on here on here but his record stood up t Slovanovic or had you not noticed just how poorly Fulham were playing.
Then we have Parkinson, loved him as a player but still a risk , or Ainsworth, hardly an instant success at Wycombe. Would people on here be patient enough with him or would we have been heading the way Ipswich were.
In my 57 years of watching Reading believe me I have seen some crap managers, but I've also seen the board take punts on people and it's really worked. I'd never heard of Jack Mansell but what a delight his football was.
So how about giving this guy a bit of support and stop looking for conspiracy theories about agents. You have absolutely no idea who was consulted in the selection process so get over yourselves and support him. You never know, he just might be what is needed

That's a lot of words to say 'he might be good, just have blind faith no matter what'.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 22 Dec 2018 09:12

About 1,000th of the words you have posted over the last 2 weeks on the subject.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 22 Dec 2018 09:14

windermereROYAL
Eaststandman The "Bonkers Appointment" is possibly the most appropriate title for the whole fiasco! Perhaps crashing the club is the secret plan for levelling the Madstad for redevelopment???

Then that would make the millions they spent on Bearwood a little puzzling don`t you think?

Perhaps!

1436 posts