New Manager

1436 posts
From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: New Manager

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Dec 2018 16:38

Why? What do you actually know about him that isn't on his Wikipedia page?

What do you actually know about him now that you already knew 3 weeks ago? Does he give youth a chance, does he get teams punching above their weight, is he a good man manager, did heceork at basketcase clubs with unrealistic expectations who sack managers on a whim?

All I'm saying is give the bloke the benefit of the doubt until he proves you right or wrong.

As I have said on here already, I wanted Ainsworth,I knew nothing about Gomes but, I will vuew him with an open mind. If the situation is as bad as you seem yo thing, we're fcuked regardless of who's in charge.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 22 Dec 2018 16:48, edited 1 time in total.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 22 Dec 2018 16:47

Why did you want Ainsworth?
That's why l don't want JG
Thanks

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Dec 2018 16:52

I wanted Ainsworth because he got a team with limited resources to punch above their weight, where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. However Wycombe stuck with him despite relegation and escaping relegation from the league on goal difference.

Our expectation is much greater and we would not give him that time but I thought he was worth the gamble. Ian, in his inimitablecstyle would dismiss that as different team, different circumstance but hey, ho.

So you are against Gomes because you wanted Ainsworth. To quote Mick Jagger, you can't always get what you want.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 22 Dec 2018 16:59, edited 1 time in total.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 22 Dec 2018 16:58

So you're evaluating Ainsworth on his past record, and if you compare even Ainsworth with JG he has a more appropriate pedigree than JG
Our situation is not hopeless, but we cannot afford the luxury of a coach with zero experience of the championship!

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Dec 2018 17:01

No, I'm acceptimg that whilst Aimsworth may be an attractive proposition on paper, there are still question marks. Maybe we need a coach with a different perspective who can bring something fresh? Gomes may not becan attractive proposition on paper but heccpuld be the right fit. We don't know yet. There is a ying to every yang and every appointment is a gamble.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 22 Dec 2018 17:04, edited 1 time in total.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 22 Dec 2018 17:02

I didnt and don't want Ainsworth, l'd be happier with an available, experienced coach, somebody that has been in this situation before and succeeded

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Dec 2018 17:05

Such as?

alfie9

by alfie9 » 22 Dec 2018 17:05

Jaap Stam is available...

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 22 Dec 2018 17:12

Jokanovich, Pardew, Parky, Tisdale, Alladyce, anybody that stops the rot and throws some fecks into the prima donnas until we can retrench in some safety!

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Dec 2018 17:22

Allardyce and Pardew will be looking to the Premiershp for a rescue job, Jokanovic doesn't want the job, Tisdale would be as big a gamble as Ainsworth, Parky could maybe keep us up but could he take us forward?

We need stability. I would have looked to someone like Ainsworth or Tidsdale who could potentially survive a relegation and be tasked with rebuilding but Gomes is the man and he has no chance without unconditional support from the fans.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 22 Dec 2018 17:30, edited 1 time in total.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 22 Dec 2018 17:26

We need to consolidate now, that would be moving forward. The sums of money being bandied around would probably buy a big hitter as a "consultant" with a bonus for keeping us up! I'd have settled for Colin, which shows how serious the situation is!

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 22 Dec 2018 17:29

Tisdale has way more experience than Ainsworth!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Dec 2018 17:30

From Despair To Where?
Snowflake Royal
From Despair To Where?
David Wagner
Nuno Espirito Santo
Daniel Farke

Yes he's a big risk and not someone I'd have picked but there's no benefit to getting pissy just because he doesn't meet your aspirations, it fosters an even shittier atmosphere.

Not RFC managers, different clubs, different circumstances. And I specifically said that a couple of anecdotal examples of successes do nothing to show any reason why Gomes would be a good appointment. So just coming up with another three not great examples helps you not at all

But it's alright to dismiss him as not good enough on a hunch? You do realise that his previous experience is at different clubs and different circumstances too? It does work both ways and all I'm doing is trying to look to positives out of the situation instead of grumbling when he hasn't even set foot in the building yet.

My Nan has different experience and circumstances, do you think we should give her a go? She's dead by the way.

No one's dismissing him on a hunch. They're saying he's a thoroughly underwhelming appointment likely to fail because:
- He has no experience of the English League and particularly the Championship, one of the most competitive in Europe.
- He's managed a long string of unimpressive clubs
- He's never lasted anywhere for long
- He's got zero knowledge of Reading FC and probably couldn't have pointed to us on a map a month ago.
- Our recent track record of appointing managers leaves rather a lot to be desired
- Our problems are rather urgent, so he has no time to get up to speed on us or the division
- There's more than a hint of this all being led by one of football's dodgier characters who's already palmed a load of shit off on us last time Howe was CEO.

There is literally nothing to recommend him as a good appointment other than that he hasn't actually failed with us yet. At another time, maybe he'd be worth a punt. But this is precisely the wrong at appointment at this time IMO.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 22 Dec 2018 17:32

This

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Dec 2018 17:32

So basically, the key problem here is the club, not the manager. Any appointment would be underwhelming and likely to fail in these circumstances.

I'm not defending Gomes, I just think it's fcuking appalling that people are writing him off before he's even given a chance.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Dec 2018 17:39

From Despair To Where? Any appointment would be underwhelming and likely to fail because the problem here is the club, not the manager.

So the club needs to appoint the best possible candidate. Someone who doesn't have a steep learning curve and can hit the ground running. Not going looking for the most obscure rando, with no UK experience and just about the least impressive CV possible.

What exactly are the tangible reasons to be positive about his appointment and chances?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Dec 2018 17:43

I've repeatedly made it clear who I thought was the best candidate. We could pick apart any candidate should we wish but I just don't see how relentless negativity about the appointment helps in any way.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 22 Dec 2018 17:46, edited 3 times in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Dec 2018 17:45

From Despair To Where? I've repreatedly made it clear who I thought was the best candidate, I just don't see how relentless negativity about the appointment helps in any way.

Yep - and tbf couldn’t do much worse than Marshall did today

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 22 Dec 2018 17:46

Snowflake Royal
From Despair To Where?
Snowflake Royal
Not RFC managers, different clubs, different circumstances. And I specifically said that a couple of anecdotal examples of successes do nothing to show any reason why Gomes would be a good appointment. So just coming up with another three not great examples helps you not at all

But it's alright to dismiss him as not good enough on a hunch? You do realise that his previous experience is at different clubs and different circumstances too? It does work both ways and all I'm doing is trying to look to positives out of the situation instead of grumbling when he hasn't even set foot in the building yet.

My Nan has different experience and circumstances, do you think we should give her a go? She's dead by the way.

No one's dismissing him on a hunch. They're saying he's a thoroughly underwhelming appointment likely to fail because:
- He has no experience of the English League and particularly the Championship, one of the most competitive in Europe.
- He's got zero knowledge of Reading FC and probably couldn't have pointed to us on a map a month ago.
- Our recent track record of appointing managers leaves rather a lot to be desired
- Our problems are rather urgent, so he has no time to get up to speed on us or the division
- There's more than a hint of this all being led by one of football's dodgier characters who's already palmed a load of shit off on us last time Howe was CEO.

There is literally nothing to recommend him as a good appointment other than that he hasn't actually failed with us yet. At another time, maybe he'd be worth a punt. But this is precisely the wrong at appointment at this time IMO.

So with everything against him, if he comes in and does well, you'll be thrilled, and you'll be first in line to heap on all the praise then?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Dec 2018 17:47

Denver Royal
Snowflake Royal
From Despair To Where?

So with everything against him, if he comes in and does well, you'll be thrilled, and you'll be first in line to heap on all the praise then?

No, I actively want us to fail under him just so I can be right. :roll:

1436 posts