New Manager

1436 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: New Manager

by Zip » 16 Dec 2018 10:46

leon
Snowflake Royal It's not that hard. The hard bit is keeping it fit, and it's not brilliant in any case.

...............Jaakkola
Yiadom..Ilori..Moore..Obita
....Rinomhota..Ezatolahi
Meite....Bacuna.......Baldock
............Bodvarsson

Has to be close to agreeable.

Has that lineup ever played?

I think you know the answer to that one mr leon

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 16 Dec 2018 11:00

Pepe the Horseman
CountryRoyal
Denver Royal Sounds like a decent resume, tbf?

200 matches over a 13 year career in mostly absolute pish leagues doesn’t inspire much confidence to me. Hardly screams “I’m the man to galvanise a bunch of underperforming overpaid dross from the second division of a country I’ve never managed in before”.

Strong pass from me.

Yep. He's had about 20 different clubs, hasn't been at any of them for longer than two years, and has won fcuk all.

Wow can't believe anyone would be down about this one. Do you not remember when he single handedly kept Al-taawoun up against all the odds? Or his spectacular 18 months at videoton?

Easy to look down on the Saudi Arabia professional league or the Hungarian national championship but when you think about it, in terms of attendance and quality, they're actually right up there with the likes of Moldova and Uzbekistan.

Gomes seems like a perfect fit for us.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 16 Dec 2018 11:55

Simon's Church
Pepe the Horseman
CountryRoyal
200 matches over a 13 year career in mostly absolute pish leagues doesn’t inspire much confidence to me. Hardly screams “I’m the man to galvanise a bunch of underperforming overpaid dross from the second division of a country I’ve never managed in before”.

Strong pass from me.

Yep. He's had about 20 different clubs, hasn't been at any of them for longer than two years, and has won fcuk all.

Wow can't believe anyone would be down about this one. Do you not remember when he single handedly kept Al-taawoun up against all the odds? Or his spectacular 18 months at videoton?

Easy to look down on the Saudi Arabia professional league or the Hungarian national championship but when you think about it, in terms of attendance and quality, they're actually right up there with the likes of Moldova and Uzbekistan.

Gomes seems like a perfect fit for us.

Let's be happy about this appointment because Simon's Church can copy and paste Gomes' Wikipedia.....

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Dec 2018 12:07

Zip
Snowflake Royal It's not that hard. The hard bit is keeping it fit, and it's not brilliant in any case.

...............Jaakkola
....Rinomhota..Ezatolahi
............Bodvarsson

Well I don’t agree with that line up or formation and won’t be alone in that view. Not much pace going forward in that side. Ilori should be nowhere near the starting line up and Meite really is a centre forward. I quite like Baldock but we need some pace in the side.

But that's my point. Our best line up isn't hard to work out, it's just not very good and never plays together.

Jaakkola - just about best keeper currently. Relatively easy.
Yiadom - has his flaws but clearly the best right back and best right wing back
Obita - clearly best left back and best left wing back pre injury
Moore - clearly the best centre back
Ilori - can be great, can be terrible, but he's competing with McShane (stupid, aging, slow, thuggish), O'Shea (ancient, incredibly slow) and Blackett (error prone and overconfident). I suppose you could argue O'Shea is more reliable but he's not near an in form Ilori these days
Rinomhota - only midfielder to consistently receive near universal praise currently, busy, simple passes and can carry the ball forward
Ezatolahi - no poor games, solid, plays out well
Bacuna - mix of awful and crucial. But far more reliable than Swift, more dangerous than Kelly, better than Edwards or MeyLOLer
Baldock - none of our wingers are playing well and delivering. Baldock presses well from the front and causes problems with his energy when combined with others. Barrow has no work rate and doesn't contribute enough, Aluko is shit, McCleary tries but doesn't deliver, Sims is more cold than hot
Bodvarsson - excellent scoring record
Meite - bullies defenders, did ok on the wing or upfront and excellent scoring record.

I'm genuinely interested in the argument to suggest someone better in our squad for more than one or two of those players.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Dec 2018 12:08

leon

...............Jaakkola
....Rinomhota..Ezatolahi
............Bodvarsson

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Dec 2018 15:19

I'm starting to think we should save appointing Parky until June, by which time the next one will have gotten us relegated and been sacked.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 16 Dec 2018 15:27

Ascotexgunner
maffff
Pepe the Horseman On paper he looks appalling. 12 clubs in 15 years, and has won nothing.

Mostly smaller clubs / relegation favourites he moves to mid upper table tbf.

Stats normally don't bother me but that one does. Sounds like another mistake. Will keep us up no doubt but sounds like that's all he will achieve. Probably another one that will be sacked December 2019.

This +100.
It is the main reason I’d rather have Parky in if we go down the short term route. It’ll at least add some excitement, to what is going to be a nail-biting slog to stay up.
However if we appoint someone with a long-term plan in view, Parky is clearly not that person. We also have to accept that longer term thinking could (and probably will TBH) result in League One football next season. The whole situation is a sorry mess.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 16 Dec 2018 16:32

Snowflake Royal
Zip

...............Jaakkola
....Rinomhota..Ezatolahi
............Bodvarsson

Well I don’t agree with that line up or formation and won’t be alone in that view. Not much pace going forward in that side. Ilori should be nowhere near the starting line up and Meite really is a centre forward. I quite like Baldock but we need some pace in the side.

But that's my point. Our best line up isn't hard to work out, it's just not very good and never plays together.

Ilori - can be great, can be terrible, but he's competing with McShane (stupid, aging, slow, thuggish), O'Shea (ancient, incredibly slow) and Blackett (error prone and overconfident). I suppose you could argue O'Shea is more reliable but he's not near an in form Ilori these days
Rinomhota - only midfielder to consistently receive near universal praise currently, busy, simple passes and can carry the ball forward
Bacuna - mix of awful and crucial. But far more reliable than Swift, more dangerous than Kelly, better than Edwards or MeyLOLer
Baldock - none of our wingers are playing well and delivering. Baldock presses well from the front and causes problems with his energy when combined with others. Barrow has no work rate and doesn't contribute enough, Aluko is shit, McCleary tries but doesn't deliver, Sims is more cold than hot
Meite - bullies defenders, did ok on the wing or upfront and excellent scoring record.

I'm genuinely interested in the argument to suggest someone better in our squad for more than one or two of those players.

I would play Blackett ahead of Ilori who simply isn’t what we can afford in a relegation battle. I hope to see McIntyre next Saturday and would not rule him out of the first team if he impresses next week.
Meite is not a winger. He has to play centre forward. Perhaps switch Bodvarsson to the flank.
I would play Barrow ahead of Baldock. His season hasn’t got going but he gives us the pace this side desperately lacks on the counter attack.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Dec 2018 16:53

Ian’s would be about the team I’d pick

Would prob play McCleary instead of either Meite or Bod and bring the other off the bench after an hour or so as a general rule

Tbh though, no real point including Obita at the moment. Still a way off and be 18 months out. Would play Blackett there

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 16 Dec 2018 17:05

Hound Ian’s would be about the team I’d pick

Would prob play McCleary instead of either Meite or Bod and bring the other off the bench after an hour or so as a general rule

Tbh though, no real point including Obita at the moment. Still a way off and be 18 months out. Would play Blackett there

You’re a traitor hound dog.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Dec 2018 17:22

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Zip

I would play Blackett ahead of Ilori who simply isn’t what we can afford in a relegation battle. I hope to see McIntyre next Saturday and would not rule him out of the first team if he impresses next week.
Meite is not a winger. He has to play centre forward. Perhaps switch Bodvarsson to the flank.
I would play Barrow ahead of Baldock. His season hasn’t got going but he gives us the pace this side desperately lacks on the counter attack.

Ok... I can see all that. I think there's no coincidence that Ilori has looked worse without Moore. Blackett has done ok back at CB. I don't agree on Baldock vs Barrow, at least partly because I think Barrow is more suited to changing a game from the bench when you're pressing and defending is less of an issue, but it's fine margins. Bod and Meite is just positioning and I'd want them fairly fluid anyway, so whatever.

That's about 70% of the first XI flat agreed though.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Dec 2018 17:31

Zip
Hound Ian’s would be about the team I’d pick

You’re a traitor hound dog.

Tbf still changed a couple of his players, so not a complete traitor

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 16 Dec 2018 18:18

Snowflake Royal Jaakkola - just about best keeper currently. Relatively easy.

Mostly agree, Ian. Not quite sure of the balance, as it has a little of the 'Lets just get the current best eleven players (on paper) in the starting eleven somehow or other' look about it.
Obita hasn't played in ages, so I'd question his return, esp to top level. His rep has grown a bit in his absence.
Ilori, to me, has some skills, but he isn't my ideal CB in the Champ.
Eza's played 4 games (on loan). Hope he's as good as we've built him up to be.
Meite has to be a striker, imo.

One thing jumps out. Eza was signed on loan (in desperation) mid-season, so that means you don't have many of Clement's Summer window signings in your team. (Yiadom, plus Baldock, who to me isn't a 90-min player, and who I might replace as starter anyway with Barrow, because there is no winger or pace). Yet, you have consistently said that window was good. Surely we were looking for more than depth from a Summer window, esp given that you've said the team coming in to the season was dire. It has to be a disappointing return, and one of the reasons we are where we currently are, no? Surely we needed more starters, to upgrade a dire team, for a window to be rated good?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 16 Dec 2018 19:00

Snowflake Royal
leon

...............Jaakkola
....Rinomhota..Ezatolahi
............Bodvarsson

It was a question not a criticism Ian. To highlight the point that injury has totally fcuked us.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 16 Dec 2018 19:05

Gomes 4/5 , Parky 3/1 with SkyBet

Looking at Gomes managerial record I can't think of a more underwhelming, uninspiring candidate if you tried. It would appear as long as you're Portuguese that's all that matters.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 16 Dec 2018 19:33

Gunny Fishcake Gomes 4/5 , Parky 3/1 with SkyBet

Looking at Gomes managerial record I can't think of a more underwhelming, uninspiring candidate if you tried. It would appear as long as you're Portuguese that's all that matters.

I seriously don`t think the bookies have a clue. the same as us.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 16 Dec 2018 19:40

...............Jaakkola
....Rinomhota..Ezatolahi
............Bodvarsson

Lacks invention. I'd drop one of Meite, Baldock or Bodvarsson to accomodate Swift. In a floating role. Bacuna playing right midfield.

Lack of another left footed player in the team is also an issue. I'd like to see Harriott get a run outor at least be on the bench as an option. Glimpses of promise prior to his injury woes.

Ranty McRantface

by Ranty McRantface » 16 Dec 2018 20:07

Lower West

...............Jaakkola
....Rinomhota..Ezatolahi
............Bodvarsson

Lacks invention. I'd drop one of Meite, Baldock or Bodvarsson to accomodate Swift. In a floating role. Bacuna playing right midfield.

Lack of another left footed player in the team is also an issue. I'd like to see Harriott get a run outor at least be on the bench as an option. Glimpses of promise prior to his injury woes.

This line up is quite tactically limited.

As good as Rinomhota is, he's not a DM who can pass at a creative level. You essentially have 2 DMs good at breaking up play and one of them who can drive the ball forward; not always successfully either. Bacuna is not as creative as our other advanced midfielders either. You've also got no service into Bod, Baldock or Meite. We would just be playing on the break and lumping balls forward to Meite and Bod to hold up the ball, which is really one dimensional.

I personally would go with this...

.....................Jaakola.................
Yiadom....Moore.....Illori.......Obita
....................Eliza...........................
.........Rinomhota............................
..Barrow.........Swift..............Harriot.
..................Bodvarsson..................

For me this provides more balance and attacking options. If we want to hit crosses into the box we have the balance to do so and also the big man to get on the end of it. We would also have the option to be more patient and have Swift unlock the defence for one of Barrow or Harriot to get on the end of a through ball. Obita and Yiadom could also double up as wingers whilst being defensively sound. The rest of the midfield would provide the necessary defensive cover for the rest of the defence too.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 16 Dec 2018 20:18

Gunny Fishcake Gomes 4/5 , Parky 3/1 with SkyBet

agree with that.

I was shocked, expected some really good seasons

The whole thing smacks of someone in someone's ear

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 16 Dec 2018 20:26

Honestly think our best bet now is to just give it to Marshall until the end of the season. The owners' picks seem to be becoming more and more underwhelming. The last thing we need is to bring someone in for the sake of it, and then have to pay them off at the end of the season. Let's just see where we are in the summer. If we stay up we might be more attractive to a "higher caliber" candidate. If we go down we can look to the likes of Ainsworth to get us back up.

1436 posts
It is currently 29 Mar 2024 15:33