New Manager

1436 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: New Manager

by Zip » 22 Dec 2018 12:31

Whilst I am completely baffled by this appointment we have to give the guy a chance. Let’s not write him off before he’s even appointed.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Dec 2018 12:40

Snowflake Royal
From Despair To Where? Neither did Maurice Evans', or Ian Branfoot's, or Mark McGhee's, or Alan Pardew's, or Brian McDermott's. Brendan Rodgers' appointmemt met with popular approval though.

Evans and Branfoot I can't comment. But I'd be really grateful if we could stop with the ludicrous apples and oranges comparisons... and the daft argument that it's invalid to think an appointment is poor just because an anecdotal sample of not comparable inexperienced managers did well.

McGhee - internal appointment, inexperienced manager, familiar with English leagues = nothing like comparable with Gomes
Pardew - internal appointment previously involved as a caretaker with little managerial experience but knowledge of the English leagues = nothing like Gomes
McDermott - internal appointment, with knowledge of the English leagues but no professional level management experience = nothing like Gomes
Rodgers - previous member of the coaching staff with managerial experience in the same division = nothing like Gomes.

In fact, I can't think of a single manager in RFC's history that is comparable to Gomes. Someone who is experienced at managing lesser teams in a lesser European league with no experience of the English Leagues and a record of never lasting long anywhere.

All this but what about x nonsense does absolutely nothing to address a single concern raised about Gomes' suitability or competence for the manager's job at Reading. It's just sticking your fingers in your ears and singing lalala whilst hoping for ... miracle is too strong, but it'll do.

And I've not seen anyone suggesting that if / when Gomes is appointed there should be protests, or booing or he should have no chance to prove what he can do. If / when he's manager he'll have to prove what he can do like anyone else. Bit if the club want our manager to get patience from the fans, they need to appoint someone who isn't woefully uninspiring. And don't expect people to pretend that Gomes is inspiring just to be positive.

David Wagner
Nuno Espirito Santo
Daniel Farke

Yes he's a big risk and not someone I'd have picked but there's no benefit to getting pissy just because he doesn't meet your aspirations, it fosters an even shittier atmosphere.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 22 Dec 2018 13:09

Snowflake Royal If the club want our manager to get patience from the fans, they need to appoint someone who isn't woefully uninspiring. And don't expect people to pretend that Gomes is inspiring just to be positive.

Characterize him however you want, but they need to appoint someone who improves performances and results. (Which if it happens, some will then dislike him even more). Once you, and anyone else, have backed yourselves in to a corner by saying...'There isn't anyone out there that could do any better with this lot (than Clement)'...

Henley Royal 1

by Henley Royal 1 » 22 Dec 2018 13:13

Denver Royal
Snowflake Royal If the club want our manager to get patience from the fans, they need to appoint someone who isn't woefully uninspiring. And don't expect people to pretend that Gomes is inspiring just to be positive.

Characterize him however you want, but they need to appoint someone who improves performances and results. (Which if it happens, some will then dislike him even more). Once you, and anyone else, have backed yourselves in to a corner by saying 'There isn't anyone out there that could do any better with this lot (than Clement)...

Is the reported 100 million euros over the next two transfer windows still on the table.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 22 Dec 2018 13:16

Henley Royal 1
Denver Royal

Characterize him however you want, but they need to appoint someone who improves performances and results. (Which if it happens, some will then dislike him even more). Once you, and anyone else, have backed yourselves in to a corner by saying 'There isn't anyone out there that could do any better with this lot (than Clement)...

Is the reported 100 million euros over the next two transfer windows still on the table.

Don't know, and I doubt it. But, I hope so! 8)

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 22 Dec 2018 13:21

Ranty McRantface Also, the Portuguese top flight is not a bad league mate. The top 4 could play in the Prem and do ok. Most of the rest are mid to upper Champ standard with a couple of upper League One teams too.

Doesn't sound particularly competitive then. As that's a broad spectrum. The Championship is tough and over the course of an entire season the gulf does become apparant between the teams.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 22 Dec 2018 13:26

The one positive is that if Joorabchian again "suggests" some Portuguese signings, this guy might at least have a clue of they are any good or not.

Ranty McRantface

by Ranty McRantface » 22 Dec 2018 13:36

Snowflake Royal
Ranty McRantface
Snowflake Royal Evans and Branfoot I can't comment. But I'd be really grateful if we could stop with the ludicrous apples and oranges comparisons... and the daft argument that it's invalid to think an appointment is poor just because an anecdotal sample of not comparable inexperienced managers did well.

McGhee - internal appointment, inexperienced manager, familiar with English leagues = nothing like comparable with Gomes
Pardew - internal appointment previously involved as a caretaker with little managerial experience but knowledge of the English leagues = nothing like Gomes
McDermott - internal appointment, with knowledge of the English leagues but no professional level management experience = nothing like Gomes
Rodgers - previous member of the coaching staff with managerial experience in the same division = nothing like Gomes.

In fact, I can't think of a single manager in RFC's history that is comparable to Gomes. Someone who is experienced at managing lesser teams in a lesser European league with no experience of the English Leagues and a record of never lasting long anywhere.

All this but what about x nonsense does absolutely nothing to address a single concern raised about Gomes' suitability or competence for the manager's job at Reading. It's just sticking your fingers in your ears and singing lalala whilst hoping for ... miracle is too strong, but it'll do.

And I've not seen anyone suggesting that if / when Gomes is appointed there should be protests, or booing or he should have no chance to prove what he can do. If / when he's manager he'll have to prove what he can do like anyone else. Bit if the club want our manager to get patience from the fans, they need to appoint someone who isn't woefully uninspiring. And don't expect people to pretend that Gomes is inspiring just to be positive.

Erm. Jaap Stam anyone.

Also, the Portuguese top flight is not a bad league mate. The top 4 could play in the Prem and do ok. Most of the rest are mid to upper Champ standard with a couple of upper League One teams too.

No first team management experience and had first hand knowledge of the English top flight at least. Next.

It's still a lesser European league not a top one. The Championship has more money and end to end competitiveness than most European top flights.

End to end competitiveness? If you manage a team that plays against 4 teams that could play in the prem and the majority of the rest at championship level how is that not competitive? The teams also play in 2 cups throughout the season.

The only thing I can't really defend is the frequency of matches. You don't really play 2 games a week in Portugal unless a previous game was called off or something. Getting used to playing on a weekday and weekend would be a new challenge for him to manage.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Dec 2018 13:41

Hope he at least keeps Nigel Gibbs and co as he’s going to need all the help and advice he can get about the division and opponents.

Diablo Diablo

by Diablo Diablo » 22 Dec 2018 13:57

You cannot risk an appointment like this unless you do it at the start of a season (e.g. Stam etc) because you always have another chance to correct the situation.

Here we will be between a rock and a very hard place sat in pole position for League 1 for next season, clearly matching the ambitions of the clueless owners working at the behest of the latest expert in their ear who will inevitably be making pots of money for themselves and their cronies - follow on from Gourlay and his.

The rate we are going at, it will be 2 or 3 more matches gone before any change happens anyway and we will be even deeper in the mire (Marshall may only be caretaker but he looks pretty naive/clueless to date).

So frustrating to see this whole process unwinding as it is.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 22 Dec 2018 14:10

Regretfully agreed!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Dec 2018 14:15

From Despair To Where?
Snowflake Royal
From Despair To Where? Neither did Maurice Evans', or Ian Branfoot's, or Mark McGhee's, or Alan Pardew's, or Brian McDermott's. Brendan Rodgers' appointmemt met with popular approval though.

Evans and Branfoot I can't comment. But I'd be really grateful if we could stop with the ludicrous apples and oranges comparisons... and the daft argument that it's invalid to think an appointment is poor just because an anecdotal sample of not comparable inexperienced managers did well.

David Wagner
Nuno Espirito Santo
Daniel Farke

Yes he's a big risk and not someone I'd have picked but there's no benefit to getting pissy just because he doesn't meet your aspirations, it fosters an even shittier atmosphere.

Not RFC managers, different clubs, different circumstances. And I specifically said that a couple of anecdotal examples of successes do nothing to show any reason why Gomes would be a good appointment. So just coming up with another three not great examples helps you not at all

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Dec 2018 14:18

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 22 Dec 2018 14:19

From Despair To Where?
Snowflake Royal

David Wagner
Nuno Espirito Santo
Daniel Farke

Closest comparison imo would be a poor man's Carvalhal. Both with a long list of clubs, never managing more than two years at one club, with Carvalhal's former clubs being of a slightly higher calibre.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Dec 2018 14:25

Snowflake Royal
From Despair To Where?
Snowflake Royal Evans and Branfoot I can't comment. But I'd be really grateful if we could stop with the ludicrous apples and oranges comparisons... and the daft argument that it's invalid to think an appointment is poor just because an anecdotal sample of not comparable inexperienced managers did well.

David Wagner
Nuno Espirito Santo
Daniel Farke

Not RFC managers, different clubs, different circumstances. And I specifically said that a couple of anecdotal examples of successes do nothing to show any reason why Gomes would be a good appointment. So just coming up with another three not great examples helps you not at all

But it's alright to dismiss him as not good enough on a hunch? You do realise that his previous experience is at different clubs and different circumstances too? It does work both ways and all I'm doing is trying to look to positives out of the situation instead of grumbling when he hasn't even set foot in the building yet.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 22 Dec 2018 15:02

The circumstantial evidence is more than just a hunch though isn't it?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 22 Dec 2018 15:14

Eaststandman The circumstantial evidence is more than just a hunch though isn't it?

None of which will matter (to me) if he does well.

Btw, of course, no two managerial appointments are exactly the same. Even just at RFC, we stew every time a new manager arrives. 'Clement's situation is different, he had to inherit this or that, etc'. There are always differences, maybe more in this case, but that won't matter if he does well. Or at least, it shouldn't. In fact, if he does well with all these odds stacked against him, the more credit he'll deserve.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 22 Dec 2018 15:31

You're right of course, IF he does well, but my grief is with the apparently piss poor selection process, particularly if like any normal person he takes time to evaluate his resources, get up to speed and impose his philosophy and get the lead swinging underperformers playing well enough to avoid the drop!

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Dec 2018 16:30

Eaststandman The circumstantial evidence is more than just a hunch though isn't it?

But pro or anti, it's all circumstantial and we're all pissing in the wind until he starts doing the job. I just don't see the need to instantly dismiss him before he starts the job just on the basis of his past record when it's largely irrelevant to how he will do here.

"But he's never stayed in a job more than 2 years".

And we're onto our 7th in five and a half years. What does that tell you?

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 22 Dec 2018 16:37

His past record is absolutely material to getting the gig with us in the first place, hardly irrelevant, and IMHO it doesn't look likely or probable that he will have sufficient experience or time to pull off a miracle!

1436 posts