+1

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

Re: CONFIMRED José Gomes

by Longhorn1970 » 26 Dec 2018 15:48

elrey
Uke https://twitter.com/ReadingFC/status/1076533234236866562

Our Christmas present is here

Let's give him a chance and see what he does, it can't be worse can it?

Can't be worse? Yes, it can.

Have you seen his record?

His last team he won 5 games out of 16, he has two 50%+ records with teams, one he only managed 6 games and when he left the team went and put 6 past their opponents in the next two games. They were the top team in Saudi Arabia at this time anyway.

His other was in Hungary in 2013/2014. The team's WORST SEASON since 2008. Literally they've been top two every season since 2013/2014 except when Gomes was there. So a 55% win ratio for a team accustomed to much higher than this....

Then you have his recent activity 31% win ratio in Portugal with Rio Ave. They were 5th in the table last season before Gomes took over. Now they're 10th. Amazing.... They won 15 out of 34 games last season in the league, this season five out of 13.

At Al Taawoun he has 26% win ratio but now they're third in the table with 7 wins out of 12. They finished 9th when Gomes was there with 9 wins out of 26. Spot the difference? They finished 7th the season before but still with 9 out of 26 wins and 4th the season before.

At Baniyas he won one game in 13 and drew one. Must be why we appointed him.

The guy has never, ever improved a team. That's what we have to look forward to. Relegation is a certainty now.

Who made this ridiculous decision. Of all the managers in the world to choose from, and they literally pluck a nobody with a rubbish record out of Portugal. Why?

Who's his agent ??!!! :o :o :o

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 26 Dec 2018 15:59

elrey
Uke https://twitter.com/ReadingFC/status/1076533234236866562

Our Christmas present is here

Let's give him a chance and see what he does, it can't be worse can it?

Can't be worse? Yes, it can.

Have you seen his record?

His last team he won 5 games out of 16, he has two 50%+ records with teams, one he only managed 6 games and when he left the team went and put 6 past their opponents in the next two games. They were the top team in Saudi Arabia at this time anyway.

His other was in Hungary in 2013/2014. The team's WORST SEASON since 2008. Literally they've been top two every season since 2013/2014 except when Gomes was there. So a 55% win ratio for a team accustomed to much higher than this....

Then you have his recent activity 31% win ratio in Portugal with Rio Ave. They were 5th in the table last season before Gomes took over. Now they're 10th. Amazing.... They won 15 out of 34 games last season in the league, this season five out of 13.

At Al Taawoun he has 26% win ratio but now they're third in the table with 7 wins out of 12. They finished 9th when Gomes was there with 9 wins out of 26. Spot the difference? They finished 7th the season before but still with 9 out of 26 wins and 4th the season before.

At Baniyas he won one game in 13 and drew one. Must be why we appointed him.

The guy has never, ever improved a team. That's what we have to look forward to. Relegation is a certainty now.

Who made this ridiculous decision. Of all the managers in the world to choose from, and they literally pluck a nobody with a rubbish record out of Portugal. Why?

Strange gamble. If you're going to take a punt, take an aspiring manager from div 1 ??!! :lol: :lol:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 Dec 2018 16:30

The worry with this appointment is though that JG has no kudos. There’s nothing in the bank for him so - as would not be an unreasonable bet - if Reading were to not get anything more than a point or two to the end of January then the stateof play between fans, management and board will become very strained at best. Not that there’ll ever be a demo about things at Reading though as most fans will just not go and turn back to Liverpool, ManC, Arsenal, Chelsea etc.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 26 Dec 2018 20:19

maffff
tmesis
maffff
Having managed 6 clubs in Portugal and been assistant at Porto (among others) I believe the answer would be yes

His career as manager in Portugal, at the time.

His first job appears to have been at Paços Ferreira, getting sacked after eight games, having lost seven of them.

He then got sacked after one year at Leixões

He then had a five game spell at Leiria (picking up just two points)

He then had nine games at Moreirense

He then had 13 games at Aves again, picking up just 9 points.

I'm struggling to see what exactly would have caused him to be rated in Portugal.

Well, yes, that's enough to have an opinion - I never exactly said its great but of course the Portuguese media know who he is. It goes back to my point Nuno was a bit of a joke before Wolves...

Your actual claim was that Nuno wasn't rated as highly as Gomes, even though there's nothing in his record to suggest Gomes was rated at all.

DelBoyRodders
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by DelBoyRodders » 26 Dec 2018 21:13

The cost of Jose Gomes’ appointment worries me. Why have the club thrown so much money at it?
And if we had to sack him at end of the current season or whenever, it will cost us a fortune.
Feels like only a matter of time before we are the subject of a Football League enquiry regarding being in breach of Financial Fair Play.
And what can we expect to gain from this ridiculous appointment?
With his CV Gomes should be nowhere near our club.
In fact with his CV he should be grateful for the opportunity and working for free before he’s proved himself.
How can someone like this become the highest paid manager in the club’s history?
Someone from our local media needs to ask a senior RFC management person why this appointment was made.
The club is a total mess!

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 27 Dec 2018 00:19

DelBoyRodders How can someone like this become the highest paid manager in the club’s history?

Is that confirmed?

He might be on four times his old salary, but he was at a club pulling crowds on par with Yeovil Town, so I doubt he was being paid all that much when he was there.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 27 Dec 2018 00:37

DelBoyRodders The cost of Jose Gomes’ appointment worries me. Why have the club thrown so much money at it?How can someone like this become the highest paid manager in the club’s history?

Not sure what he cost, but I’d answer you this way (assuming it wasn’t rhetorical):
1. Because that’s what we decided to pay him.
2. Because wages and transfer fees (in footy, anyway) typically trend upward most years.
Be that as it may, you’ll hear many many times about ‘the highest paid manager, and our biggest transfer spend, in our entire history!’. (Whether it actually is, or it isn’t).
It’s economics, whether we happen to agree with the choice of manager at this time, or we don’t.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 27 Dec 2018 01:50, edited 2 times in total.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 27 Dec 2018 01:09

If he can axe-down the deadwood and therefore the player wage-bill, yet still keep us fully functional...then maybe he will be effectively be paying his own wages in savings.

Good luck to the fellah...today was his free pass

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 27 Dec 2018 01:29

AthleticoSpizz If he can axe-down the deadwood and therefore the player wage-bill, yet still keep us fully functional...then maybe he will be effectively be paying his own wages in savings.

Spizz, yeah, lot to take on, has his work cut out. What’s done is done here, he played no part in it. The fans’ issue, if they have one, is with those who appointed him. The sooner we move on the better. Other clubs’ fans have been thru shite, too. It’s part of being one. Let’s get fully behind him and the team at this time. It just might make a difference.

royal_rumble

by royal_rumble » 27 Dec 2018 08:26

I'm trying to work this one out, maybe someone can help me...

So we sack Stam, who was playing a possession style of football and was sleep walking us into relegation, with teams allowing us 60% possession and countering our obvious weaknesses. We then appoint Clement who was supposed to get us out of trouble and build a new positive attacking style of football - we end up back in a hole with some signs of progress but albeit mostly the same weaknesses.

So we appoint another possession style based manager, on much more (allegedly) money than Stam was on, with NO experience of British football, and limited ability to bring in new players, to try and get us out of trouble?

I mean apart from the obvious... this really doesn't fit with the way we've appointed successful managers previously. Where oh where is there any kind of logic in this decision? This isn't what we need as a club right now. We're also hamstrung financially if he flops - which is hugely likely. The owners might have money, but they sure as eck don't have any common sense.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 27 Dec 2018 09:00

I don’t care what’s been said in the media, excluding potential bonuses I refuse to believe Gomes is on more money than Stam was on, and I am quite certain it will not cost us a fortune paying off his contract if he gets sacked at the end of the season.

Say what you like about Howe, he is NOT that stupid.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Dec 2018 09:32

DelBoyRodders The cost of Jose Gomes’ appointment worries me. Why have the club thrown so much money at it?
And if we had to sack him at end of the current season or whenever, it will cost us a fortune.
Feels like only a matter of time before we are the subject of a Football League enquiry regarding being in breach of Financial Fair Play.
And what can we expect to gain from this ridiculous appointment?
With his CV Gomes should be nowhere near our club.
In fact with his CV he should be grateful for the opportunity and working for free before he’s proved himself.
How can someone like this become the highest paid manager in the club’s history?
Someone from our local media needs to ask a senior RFC management person why this appointment was made.
The club is a total mess!

Let's just say the club went to Gomes and sold the position to him as a project (that's why Gomes used the word in his first interview). It may well be that while the board do not want to see the club relegated they would not throw the toys out of the pram if it happened and Gomes would remain so long as there was obvious progression and an overall steadying of the ship.

And there should be some progression so long as the ridiculous cycle of injuries is broken and some changes can be made to the playing side in January. It's going to be a real challenge to get any sort of run going though as the damage already done may just be too much to surmount.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 27 Dec 2018 09:50

Denver Royal
AthleticoSpizz If he can axe-down the deadwood and therefore the player wage-bill, yet still keep us fully functional...then maybe he will be effectively be paying his own wages in savings.

Spizz, yeah, lot to take on, has his work cut out. What’s done is done here, he played no part in it. The fans’ issue, if they have one, is with those who appointed him. The sooner we move on the better. Other clubs’ fans have been thru shite, too. It’s part of being one. Let’s get fully behind him and the team at this time. It just might make a difference.
yep, spot on, it’s simple really.......nothing much to see here.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 27 Dec 2018 10:20

Royal Rother I don’t care what’s been said in the media, excluding potential bonuses I refuse to believe Gomes is on more money than Stam was on, and I am quite certain it will not cost us a fortune paying off his contract if he gets sacked at the end of the season.

Say what you like about Howe, he is NOT that stupid.

There's surely no way Gomes is on 11.5m over 2.5 years, Euros or Sterling. That would, reportedly, put him on more than the likes Rafa Benitz!

Now that might be before bonus payments, and Gomes might only earn that 11.5m if he qualifies for the Champions League within 2 years of course, but there's no way we're paying him that kind of money to keep us in the Championship or challenge for the play-offs.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Dec 2018 10:21

Denver Royal

I would normally agree with you, but I'm afraid the cumulative damage done by those at the top of the club over the years (which includes Howe) has lost me.

I think this was an awful appointment with awful little thought behind it. I think we're doomed, I think we'll get worse and I barely even care anymore. I'm genuinely thinking of sacking off the season and saving some money and time. And maybe even the club in general.

We're so badly run. The club is unrecognizable from the one I fell in love with.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 27 Dec 2018 10:56

'No experience of British/Championship football' - a league that has countless players from around Europe/the World. Would someone care to define what this unique British football is?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 27 Dec 2018 11:09

RoyalBlue 'No experience of British/Championship football' - a league that has countless players from around Europe/the World. Would someone care to define what this unique British football is?

I'd argue that it's losing it's uniqueness a little these days but the pace, physicality, intensity and competitiveness of British football, which is epitomised by the Championship, is quite different to other leagues around the world.

You only have to look at how many players struggle to adjust to it to know that it's different. I remember Kalifa Cisse, a physical midfielder/centre back in Portugal before signing for us, commenting on how even training was a whole different pace over here.

Yes the league might be full of foreign players but they've all had to adapt and adopt the style and pace (to varying degrees) so it's not like a Dutch player is playing as he would in the Eredivisie whilst a Spaniard is playing as if it was a La Liga stroll.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Dec 2018 11:13

RoyalBlue 'No experience of British/Championship football' - a league that has countless players from around Europe/the World. Would someone care to define what this unique British football is?

The enormous strength in depth of divisions. How many other countries have 92 professional clubs across 4 divisions with their second tier richer than most top tiers.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 27 Dec 2018 11:16

tmesis Your actual claim was that Nuno wasn't rated as highly as Gomes, even though there's nothing in his record to suggest Gomes was rated at all.

You've managed to both explain and miss my point in the same post.

313 posts