CONFIMRED José Gomes

313 posts
Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

Re: CONFIMRED José Gomes

by Whore Jackie » 29 Dec 2018 07:36

That doesn't sound unrealistic. Remember the vague rumours of us looking at Pulis, possibly post-Adkins, and his basic was rumoured to be £1 million, more than double what we were used to paying.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 29 Dec 2018 08:10

Hound If they’ve seen something in Gomes and his team which makes them think it will bring us success

I wonder what on earth they found so attractive in his brief spell at Baniyas ... or indeed anywhere really?!? Although Videoton seemed to have a good win percentage under him. Was that in the Blockbuster Video Sunday League?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOL_Vidi_FC

Apparently not.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 29 Dec 2018 09:02

From Despair To Where?
Royal Rother I don’t care what’s been said in the media, excluding potential bonuses I refuse to believe Gomes is on more money than Stam was on, and I am quite certain it will not cost us a fortune paying off his contract if he gets sacked at the end of the season.

Say what you like about Howe, he is NOT that stupid.

I've seen fairly reputable sources claiming that we have quadrupled his basic Rio Ave wage.

I have seen other fairly reputable sources suggest he was on €10,000 per month at Rio Ave.

That would therefore suggest we are paying him in the region of £400,000 a year basic, which is probably below the mean for the Championship.

I have it on good authority that McD and Clarke were both on £600k per year. Wouldn’t surprise me if Jaap was on more. Clarke wanted an extra £100k which is why his deal with Fulham fell through. My guess is the reports of €11m per year for Gomes are a factor of 10 out. At €11m over 2.5 years he would account for more than 10% of our total wage bill, which would be incredible and, imo, a case for complete mismanagement, which I don’t think the Dais would do. Their fiscal management seems to have been pretty decent so far.

The RFC accounts for the 16/17 season are quite an interesting read. The owners have written off nearly £10m of loans, plus we made over £5m profit on player trading activities. The names mentioned are
Norwood
Tishbola
McCarthy
Hector
Antonio
Orlando Sa
Jack Stacey
Rowan Liburd
Piece Sweeney
George Saville and
Donervon Daniels

Assume George Saville must have gone through our academy at some point and no idea who the last guy is! The payments include sales, sell on clauses and appearance fees

It also states we have spent £15.5m on players since 1 July 2017 (oh what a summer that was - Aluko, Barrow, Mannone, Edwards, Bodvarsson, etc)

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 29 Dec 2018 10:13

Reading through Wikipedia, Donervan Daniels left our academy in 2008 at the age of 15, to join West Bromwich Albion.

Went on to play for Wigan Athletic between 2015-18 and signed for Blackpool at the start of the current season. Interesting that he was included in the above list of names. Probably belated compensation or a sell on fee.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Dec 2018 10:21

strap
Hound If they’ve seen something in Gomes and his team which makes them think it will bring us success

I wonder what on earth they found so attractive in his brief spell at Baniyas ... or indeed anywhere really?!? Although Videoton seemed to have a good win percentage under him. Was that in the Blockbuster Video Sunday League?

Apparently not.

I think it’s a question which has stumped us all strap

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Dec 2018 10:43

Hound
strap

Apparently not.

I think it’s a question which has stumped us all strap

Tbf, that's a pretty good record on the face of it between 2013 and 2016.... albeit in Hungary and Saudi. Although I think someone checked and that was actually worse than those teams normally achieve.

It's all so depressing.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 30 Dec 2018 13:30

Early days yes, but what a breath of fresh air this guys appears to be...

“I don't care about their age or nationality or colour of skin - for me they are all my players - like my sons”
From Jose Gomes @ReadingFC manager

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 30 Dec 2018 13:33

windermereROYAL Early days yes, but what a breath of fresh air this guys appears to be...

“I don't care about their age or nationality or colour of skin - for me they are all my players - like my sons”

All our previous managers were ageist racists?

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 30 Dec 2018 13:35

leon
windermereROYAL Early days yes, but what a breath of fresh air this guys appears to be...

“I don't care about their age or nationality or colour of skin - for me they are all my players - [b]like my sons
From Jose Gomes @ReadingFC manager[/b]

Did he just assume the gender identification of his players???

Disgraceful.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 30 Dec 2018 13:37

leon

Not entirely sure where I said that, but I like the way he comes across in these early days. it`s a nice quote

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Dec 2018 13:54

windermereROYAL
leon

Not entirely sure where I said that, but I like the way he comes across in these early days. it`s a nice quote

Agree with Leon... don't see how that makes him stand out from anyone else in the slightest.

Surely it's a given?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Dec 2018 14:01

Yes I agree.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 30 Dec 2018 14:53

Snowflake Royal
windermereROYAL
leon

Agree with Leon... don't see how that makes him stand out from anyone else in the slightest.

Surely it's a given?

.......unless there was a problem previously with a manager and players of certain ethnic/geographic backgrounds???? :?

It certainly seems an odd thing to say.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Dec 2018 15:12

leon
Snowflake Royal
windermereROYAL

Surely it's a given?

.......unless there was a problem previously with a manager and players of certain ethnic/geographic backgrounds???? :?

Surely all he is saying is that he’sgoing To judge players on what they do for him, not on past reputation or any other assumption.
Agreed it’s what you would hope all new managers think, but it’s the right message to send the players and it does seem it is proving a worthwhile approach.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 30 Dec 2018 15:18

Nameless
leon It certainly seems an odd thing to say.

Surely all he is saying is that he’sgoing To judge players on what they do for him, not on past reputation or any other assumption.
Agreed it’s what you would hope all new managers think, but it’s the right message to send the players and it does seem it is proving a worthwhile approach.

Presumably it was in response to some kind of question about his plans to sign players from Portugal or naturally favouring the continental players within the squad (word to that effect).

If it was a club produced bit of PR/soundbite then they possibly wanted to get some message out there to allay the fears that we'll again be bringing in a load of players from certain backgrounds or agent associations and it's a prompted quote to address it.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Dec 2018 15:22

Think way too much read into it. Wasn’t it a question about playing O Shea? Then just a bit of a clumsy answer, which not massively surprising considering he has been in the country 5 minutes

Prob thinks we’re all a bunch of ignorant racists after Brexit anyway

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 30 Dec 2018 17:36

Nameless
leon
Snowflake Royal Agree with Leon... don't see how that makes him stand out from anyone else in the slightest.

Surely it's a given?

Even we've seen enough of the some of the players to have worked out their relative strengths and weaknesses on the pitch. The worry must be is that the new manager is going to do the same again. Putting us back at square one again. He's got to create a first 11 very quickly. The constant chopping and changing has to stop.

To improve the squad need a left footed winger/midfield wide player. Would help give the team a lot more balance. If there's one January transfer window signing this needs to be it.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 31 Dec 2018 13:18

Lower West
Nameless
leon

Surely all he is saying is that he’s going to judge players on what they do for him, not on past reputation or any other assumption.

Even we've seen enough of the some of the players to have worked out their relative strengths and weaknesses on the pitch. The worry must be is that the new manager is going to do the same again. Putting us back at square one again.

He'll have access to game film (they will likely have prepared those prior to his arrival). He'll obv see the players on the training ground most days. Managers and coaches see different things to us, and they interpret and process them differently. A given player's purported weakness from the past may not remain static under a different manager.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 31 Dec 2018 14:11

Denver Royal
Lower West
Nameless
Surely all he is saying is that he’s going to judge players on what they do for him, not on past reputation or any other assumption.

Even we've seen enough of the some of the players to have worked out their relative strengths and weaknesses on the pitch. The worry must be is that the new manager is going to do the same again. Putting us back at square one again.

He'll have access to game film (they will likely have prepared those prior to his arrival). He'll obv see the players on the training ground most days. Managers and coaches see different things to us, and they interpret and process them differently. A given player's purported weakness from the past may not remain static under a different manager.

I read “he’ll have access to game film” as “same filth”...

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 31 Dec 2018 14:15

Denver Royal He'll have access to game film (they will likely have prepared those prior to his arrival). He'll obv see the players on the training ground most days. Managers and coaches see different things to us, and they interpret and process them differently. A given player's purported weakness from the past may not remain static under a different manager.

No just on the ball action that matters. It's off the ball that also counts. Difficult to see some players in the squad becoming improved players overnight just because we've yet another management team. Clement was a good coach whatever his failings as a manager.

313 posts