BBC Radio Berks

112 posts
Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

BBC Radio Berks

by Hampshire Royal » 29 Dec 2018 13:53

After one game at Millwall where we lost, Dellor and Ade are laying into Gomes for not knowing anything about Reading FC and the Championship. There's not that many people in England who know very much about Reading and the Championship is just another league.

They said very little about the squad who the manager must mould into a squad that wins games. This squad has had a losing mentality for the past two seasons. After two days on the training ground did they honestly expect that Gomes could turn things around??

I've no idea whether he can save us from relegation, but (of course) I hope he does. If we do go down it won't be the fault of Gomes, it will primarily be the fault of the players. So shut the oxf*rd up Dellor and Ade and report only on what's actually happening and don't give us your stupid opinions.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BBC Radio Berks

by Denver Royal » 29 Dec 2018 14:08

Hampshire Royal After one game at Millwall where we lost, Dellor and Ade are laying into Gomes for not knowing anything about Reading FC and the Championship. There's not that many people in England who know very much about Reading and the Championship is just another league.

They said very little about the squad who the manager must mould into a squad that wins games. This squad has had a losing mentality for the past two seasons. After two days on the training ground did they honestly expect that Gomes could turn things around??

I've no idea whether he can save us from relegation, but (of course) I hope he does. If we do go down it won't be the fault of Gomes, it will primarily be the fault of the players. So shut the oxf*rd up Dellor and Ade and report only on what's actually happening and don't give us your stupid opinions.

Hants, yep, I thought they were negative too. It was actually a decent performance where we didn't deserve to lose, and lost on a set play (fk). Their's went in, Swift's hit the bar.

In reality, they likely don't know what Gomes know's, or what he doesn't. Clement likely didn't know a whole lot about Reading FC when he arrived, either (he was living in the US at the time).

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Dec 2018 14:16

Tim and Mick’s expectation from Gomes in these first few weeks is entirely the opposite, they have been at pains to point out he can know nothing at the moment so in no way can be held responsible for much of the playing side for a few weeks yet. They were critical of some of the decisions made e.g. 1-0 down and a central defender is brought on and Bod not playing for tactical reasons but brough

Largely their criticism, like all of us, is with the board for the seemingly, at this point, bizarre appointment given the club’s position.

Would wholly agree they were negative on the overall performance compared to the feedback from those who went to the game however.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 29 Dec 2018 14:57

The managers appointed by whichever board was in control:

Pardew promotion
Coppell promotion
Rodgers not much for us, but did well at Liverpool and Celtic
McDermott promotion
Clarke FA Cup SF
Stam third in the Championship
Clement avoided near certain relegation

Let's just see how Gomes does!!

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 29 Dec 2018 15:58

Hampshire Royal The managers appointed by whichever board was in control:

Pardew promotion
Coppell promotion
Rodgers not much for us, but did well at Liverpool and Celtic
McDermott promotion
Clarke FA Cup SF
Stam third in the Championship
Clement avoided near certain relegation

Let's just see how Gomes does!!

No Adkins or McDermott MK2?

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 29 Dec 2018 16:18

7 out of 9 isn't too bad.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Dec 2018 17:33

Denver Royal
Hampshire Royal After one game at Millwall where we lost, Dellor and Ade are laying into Gomes for not knowing anything about Reading FC and the Championship. There's not that many people in England who know very much about Reading and the Championship is just another league.

Hants, yep, I thought they were negative too. It was actually a decent performance where we didn't deserve to lose, and lost on a set play (fk). Their's went in, Swift's hit the bar.

In reality, they likely don't know what Gomes know's, or what he doesn't. Clement likely didn't know a whole lot about Reading FC when he arrived, either (he was living in the US at the time).

I think it's safe to say that given he managed three games against us for two different clubs (winning two and drawing one), Paul Clement knew plenty about Reading FC before he got the gig, Certainly a shed load more than Gomes.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 29 Dec 2018 17:42

Thing is woth BBRB is that Dellor is a Doom Monger .. Gooding agrees with everYthing "Adi" says..and Adi himself thinks hes the fount of all football knowledge and uses BBRB as an ego trip to remind listeners every week of what he did and who he knows and how he would do it...yawn

Henley Royal 1

by Henley Royal 1 » 29 Dec 2018 17:49

DOYLERSAROYALER Thing is woth BBRB is that Dellor is a Doom Monger .. Gooding agrees with everYthing "Adi" says..and Adi himself thinks hes the fount of all football knowledge and uses BBRB as an ego trip to remind listeners every week of what he did and who he knows and how he would do it...yawn

I gave up listening to them years ago.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 29 Dec 2018 18:16

For a man who knows nothing of the players or league our performances, if not results, have quickly stepped up a notch. I'm including the Millwall clusterfuck in that too.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Dec 2018 18:17

maffff For a man who knows nothing of the players or league our performances, if not results, have quickly stepped up a notch. I'm including the Millwall clusterfuck in that too.

Does sound like it. Both were fairly free hits to an extent. We really do need to beat Swansea on NYD

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 29 Dec 2018 18:29

Henley Royal 1
DOYLERSAROYALER Thing is woth BBRB is that Dellor is a Doom Monger .. Gooding agrees with everYthing "Adi" says..and Adi himself thinks hes the fount of all football knowledge and uses BBRB as an ego trip to remind listeners every week of what he did and who he knows and how he would do it...yawn

Disagree......Adi is a passionate Royal and talks like a fan. I like that. Tim Dellor sits on the fence too much for me and never gives a clear point of view. Mick Gooding you feel wants to say what he's thinking but then says the obvious in "safe mode".
The only thing that with up me up is that twat Chris from the isle of White. He's on virtually every show talking utter crap with pointless stats. I have to turn the radio off.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 29 Dec 2018 18:31

Thought this was going to be about Adie pronouncing Rinomhota's name as Rinomoto.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 29 Dec 2018 18:37

Ascotexgunner
Henley Royal 1

Disagree......Adi is a passionate Royal and talks like a fan. I like that. Tim Dellor sits on the fence too much for me and never gives a clear point of view. Mick Gooding you feel wants to say what he's thinking but then says the obvious in "safe mode".
The only thing that with up me up is that twat Chris from the isle of White. He's on virtually every show talking utter crap with pointless stats. I have to turn the radio off.

Williams is on a self promotion trip every match..he may be a fan but his self promotion is far more important to him...me me me ..all imho

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 29 Dec 2018 19:44

DOYLERSAROYALER
Ascotexgunner
Henley Royal 1 I gave up listening to them years ago.

Williams is on a self promotion trip every match..he may be a fan but his self promotion is far more important to him...me me me ..all imho

Totally disagree. We have a total fan (Dellor) who speaks from his heart and two great ex-pros. Wouldn't want to change that

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 29 Dec 2018 21:25

paddy20
DOYLERSAROYALER
Ascotexgunner

Totally disagree. We have a total fan (Dellor) who speaks from his heart and two great ex-pros. Wouldn't want to change that

This.

These guys know a bit (Dellor less so but fcuk it he hads an opinion) and you can agree or not agree.

Do we really want BBCRB to be totally without opinion and just trot out platitudes and bland comments.

Really?

Or do you just think your opinions are only the only valid ones and can’t face having them challenged as everyone else holding different views are unintelligent?

(You know who are, team boarders)

Moonfish

by Moonfish » 29 Dec 2018 21:29

I really like Dellor, the fact he's a fan and cares so much makes it all the more interesting. Adi and Mick add depth as ex-pros with a passion for the club. My only two criticisms would be that sometimes it's clear Mick doesn't prepare as much as he should (e.g recently claiming to have no knowledge of Gomes so wouldn't offer up an opinion - it's your job to commentate on the club so perhaps just spend 15mins having a quick Google before going on air at the very least?) and whilst Adi is good at playing devil's advocate there are times when he could just agree with the others rather than always taking the opposite viewpoint for the sake of argument.

With regards the recent negativity on air towards the club, I must admit that I too felt a tad agrived following the appointment of Gomes, which at best appears non-sensical and at worst is a complete gamble by our owners with our club at a time when we really shouldn't be looking to roll the dice (a safer pair of hands with a stronger CV would have been my short term preference), as such I share lot of the bemusement and frustrations with the club previously broadcast.

Interesting that they were far more positive after today's game, at first I felt that they were perhaps going a bit over the top trying to balance out the recent negativity, but looking at comments on here and across social media from fans that were there today and it would appear there is a lot more positivity with the nature of our performance so perhaps the positive bias in the post match analysis was more genuine than I thought?

Either way, be they positive or negative in their future viewpoints, at least they continue to care about our club and show passion which to me makes the whole experience of listening via radio that bit more engaging (although it can never replace being there).

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Dec 2018 21:36

Agree Dellor's a fanboy, which is why he isn't very good. Way too emotionally invested to do his job properly. Mick's good. Adi is just playing the controversy for the ratings, which is all just a bit tragic.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 29 Dec 2018 21:41

Moonfish I really like Dellor, the fact he's a fan and cares so much makes it all the more interesting. Adi and Mick add depth as ex-pros with a passion for the club. My only two criticisms would be that sometimes it's clear Mick doesn't prepare as much as he should (e.g recently claiming to have no knowledge of Gomes so wouldn't offer up an opinion - it's your job to commentate on the club so perhaps just spend 15mins having a quick Google before going on air at the very least?) and whilst Adi is good at playing devil's advocate there are times when he could just agree with the others rather than always taking the opposite viewpoint for the sake of argument.

With regards the recent negativity on air towards the club, I must admit that I too felt a tad agrived following the appointment of Gomes, which at best appears non-sensical and at worst is a complete gamble by our owners with our club at a time when we really shouldn't be looking to roll the dice (a safer pair of hands with a stronger CV would have been my short term preference), as such I share lot of the bemusement and frustrations with the club previously broadcast.

Interesting that they were far more positive after today's game, at first I felt that they were perhaps going a bit over the top trying to balance out the recent negativity, but looking at comments on here and across social media from fans that were there today and it would appear there is a lot more positivity with the nature of our performance so perhaps the positive bias in the post match analysis was more genuine than I thought?

Either way, be they positive or negative in their future viewpoints, at least they continue to care about our club and show passion which to me makes the whole experience of listening via radio that bit more engaging (although it can never replace being there).

Tbf Mick has a job and often goes to matches straight from his work.

Moonfish

by Moonfish » 29 Dec 2018 21:55

sandman
Moonfish sometimes it's clear Mick doesn't prepare as much as he should (e.g recently claiming to have no knowledge of Gomes so wouldn't offer up an opinion - it's your job to commentate on the club so perhaps just spend 15mins having a quick Google before going on air at the very least?).

Tbf Mick has a job and often goes to matches straight from his work.

True, I do have some sympathy with him in that regard especially for midweek matches which he often has to rush to get to on time, but on the other hand this isn't a hobby he's actually being paid to provide a service via a BBC broadcast, he should be better prepared than simply saying 'hands up I haven't had time to prepare so I know nothing about our potential new manager and therefore can't offer an opinion'.

112 posts