BFTG - Swansea

205 posts
SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG - Swansea

by SCIAG » 02 Jan 2019 18:57

Hound Their first 3 goals all came from his position.

Very harsh to blame Richards for the third goal. They attacked down the opposite flank of the pitch, we gave away a free kick, and then at the subsequent free kick they had more attackers in the box than we had defenders marking and the man we chose to leave unmarked scored. Blame that goal on either Yiadom or whoever decided to set up a three-man wall.

Generally agree that Richards is out of his depth against the better teams. He's useful in the final third but defensively... nowhere near.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jan 2019 19:01

SCIAG
Hound Their first 3 goals all came from his position.

Very harsh to blame Richards for the third goal. They attacked down the opposite flank of the pitch, we gave away a free kick, and then at the subsequent free kick they had more attackers in the box than we had defenders marking and the man we chose to leave unmarked scored. Blame that goal on either Yiadom or whoever decided to set up a three-man wall.

Generally agree that Richards is out of his depth against the better teams. He's useful in the final third but defensively... nowhere near.

Worth giving a go in League One I'd say.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jan 2019 19:09

Like I said wasn’t particularly blaming him - more pointing at the lack of protection he got

The second wasn’t his fault particularly either but came down his side, as did the first

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 02 Jan 2019 19:13

I am not comfortable slagging off the youngsters, however if the truth is known Richards was totally out of his depth yesterday and he continuously lost possession and his runner. He also misplaced passes. Our left flank was bloody awful.
Any confidence he did have has been sucked out of him because he has been badly let down by piss poor management and the more senior players around him.

Of course he wasn't the only player that was shite.
The only person who I thought came out with a smidgen of credit was Swift, and he made errors.

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 02 Jan 2019 19:25

Royality creeps In The only person who I thought came out with a smidgen of credit was Swift, and he made errors.

Only person to walk past and clap whoever remained in the East stand at FT, too. Though that pass of his into the middle of nowhere will still be with me in a few nightmares.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 02 Jan 2019 19:37

Royality creeps In I am not comfortable slagging off the youngsters, however if the truth is known Richards was totally out of his depth yesterday and he continuously lost possession and his runner. He also misplaced passes.
Any confidence he did have has been sucked out of him because he has been badly let down by piss poor management.

Hear this a lot in here. Can you expound on it?

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 02 Jan 2019 19:51

Imagine being spanked 4-1 at home by mid-table dross a few weeks into a new managerial era. Where is this honeymoon period that most new managers bring with them? 1 point from a possible 9. Absolutely rotten club, wholesale changes end of the season needed.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Jan 2019 19:55

Snowflake Royal
Hendo
Snowflake Royal Bollocks. When did the last club our size go out of business?

At absolute worst we might find ourselves in the conference briefly having had an administration or two.

And there's no point not accepting it because it'll probably be bad if it's inevitable. That will only make it worse because we've ignored the potential to use it to get our house in order and prepare.

Wimbledon would be the only one which springs immediately to mind, but I don't know whether the two clubs are comparable.

I would say not. Wimbledon didn't have a ground and were a league club for less than 30 years.

Yeah I wasn’t suggesting them as comparable clubs really, but it was the only example I could think of where a club went out of business. Although I think everyone could name a sizeable club that should have gone out of business! CoughPompyCough

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jan 2019 20:43

Hendo
Snowflake Royal
Hendo
Wimbledon would be the only one which springs immediately to mind, but I don't know whether the two clubs are comparable.

I would say not. Wimbledon didn't have a ground and were a league club for less than 30 years.

Yeah I wasn’t suggesting them as comparable clubs really, but it was the only example I could think of where a club went out of business. Although I think everyone could name a sizeable club that should have gone out of business! CoughPompyCough

Yep. They're not an awful example tbf.

Steve_Upper_West

by Steve_Upper_West » 02 Jan 2019 21:52

Had not used my season ticket for several weeks, but was on the M4 heading home from New Year in Cornwall and thought ok, why not stop at the Madstad....... as good a place as any for a ‘toilet stop’ !!

ENOUGH SAID :evil:

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Jan 2019 22:30

Let’s be honest. We are not the most hostile of fan bases. Yet the current squad are scared of playing in front of us. Dear God. How would the poor petals cope at somewhere like Millwall or Newcastle? This is mentally the weakest squad I can remember in the very many years I have supported the club.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 02 Jan 2019 22:33

Royality creeps In I am not comfortable slagging off the youngsters, however if the truth is known Richards was totally out of his depth yesterday and he continuously lost possession and his runner. He also misplaced passes. Our left flank was bloody awful.
Any confidence he did have has been sucked out of him because he has been badly let down by piss poor management and the more senior players around him.

For what it's worth I spoke to another of the youth players about a year ago when Richards had a run in the side and scored a couple of important goals. He said that Richards had been expecting to have a really tough time but had been surprised by how easy the step-up from the U23s to the first team had been. A year ago he was full of confidence, and OK he might have sometimes gone in for headers when it would be better to wait for the second ball, but he looked like a genuine alternative to Blackett. Last few weeks he's been worse than Marcus Williams or early Shaun Cummings (although in his defence, Yiadom hasn't looked much better).

What's changed? Is it the lack of Joey and Evans or an equivalent? Or maybe that opposition teams aren't scared of Barrow any more, so are more ready to attack down our left? Because he's almost totally unrecognisable from that player, and we're almost totally unrecognisable as a team.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 02 Jan 2019 22:33

Zip Let’s be honest. We are not the most hostile of fan bases. Yet the current squad are scared of playing in front of us. Dear God. How would the poor petals cope at somewhere like Millwall or Newcastle? This is mentally the weakest squad I can remember in the very many years I have supported the club.

And LordCocks or whatever his name is on Twatter reckons we're too nice to them. :lol:

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 02 Jan 2019 22:36

SCIAG
Royality creeps In I am not comfortable slagging off the youngsters, however if the truth is known Richards was totally out of his depth yesterday and he continuously lost possession and his runner. He also misplaced passes. Our left flank was bloody awful.

For what it's worth I spoke to another of the youth players about a year ago when Richards had a run in the side and scored a couple of important goals. He said that Richards had been expecting to have a really tough time but had been surprised by how easy the step-up from the U23s to the first team had been. A year ago he was full of confidence, and OK he might have sometimes gone in for headers when it would be better to wait for the second ball, but he looked like a genuine alternative to Blackett. Last few weeks he's been worse than Marcus Williams or early Shaun Cummings (although in his defence, Yiadom hasn't looked much better).

What's changed? Is it the lack of Joey and Evans or an equivalent? Or maybe that opposition teams aren't scared of Barrow any more, so are more ready to attack down our left? Because he's almost totally unrecognisable from that player, and we're almost totally unrecognisable as a team.

All started with Stam imo.

He was man of the match in his debut at Derby. Dropped the next game and didn't appear for another two months.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Jan 2019 22:37

sandman
Zip Let’s be honest. We are not the most hostile of fan bases. Yet the current squad are scared of playing in front of us. Dear God. How would the poor petals cope at somewhere like Millwall or Newcastle? This is mentally the weakest squad I can remember in the very many years I have supported the club.

And LordCocks or whatever his name is on Twatter reckons we're too nice to them. :lol:

We really could do with a couple of hard men in this side. Half of the squad are terrified of their own shadows.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 02 Jan 2019 22:43

Zip
sandman

We really could do with a couple of hard men in this side. Half of the squad are terrified of their own shadows.

Someone said yesterday that Illori "prances around like Sergio Ramos". I wish he would start getting in people's faces and cracking a few opposition shoulders.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Jan 2019 22:45

What I don’t understand is week in and week out our players always have less time on the ball than our opponents. We are always closed down yet we stand off our opponents.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Jan 2019 22:49

sandman
Zip
sandman

Someone said yesterday that Illori "prances around like Sergio Ramos". I wish he would start getting in people's faces and cracking a few opposition shoulders.

I really don’t want to see him in the side again. The number of mistakes he has made this season is ridiculous. Bring in a Morrison type centre half who will be no nonsense and dominate in the air and also pose a threat at set pieces. This is what the Championship is about.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 02 Jan 2019 23:35

Blackburn’s fortunes are probably a good proxy for our own. Club badly run for several seasons, dwindling crowds, poor investment in players and a Cat 1 academy.

When they were relegated the Venkys had a decision to make - withdraw all financial support, write off all the money they had invested and basically walk away and hope someone picks up the pieces, or undertake a proper cost cutting and restructuring of all elements of the club, but invest a decent amount of cash which gave them a budget bigger than anyone else in the division. This would give them something with some value going forward so they’d recoup some of their investment in the future. A double down strategy if you will.

They chose the latter route and, so far, it seems to have worked out OK for them. They brought in a decent manager in Tony Mowbray who perked up the club and recruited well for the division (think Bradley Dack). They were able to move on some players but couldn’t shift Danny Graham, who ended up being quite decent in League 1.

I’d hope the Dais would choose the latter route too. I personally don’t think they’d let the club go into administration. I have heard they are very into the sports science of running a club and are very keen on the academy. They want to understand from Reading’s set up how they can make it work at their other clubs. So perhaps it really is a play thing for them. I also hope that Gomes is the right manager to lead us forward, whichever division we are in.

I was also told that a Cat 1 academy costs about £3m a year to run, after the FA development programme subsidies. So it isn’t cheap. A Cat 2 is about £1m I believe.

JR

by JR » 03 Jan 2019 00:00

Setting aside some very inept defending, I found today hugely encouraging.

It was the best we have looked as an attacking unit since before the Stam era - much more variety in approach play and intent - overall an exciting insight in to what the coming months will bring.

The style of play is also very easy on the eye - it really is impressive that Jose has managed to achieve this step-change so quickly - and that bodes well for him being able to implement his ideas in the upcoming crucial matches.

I’m sure he’ll cut out the risky playing around the keeper / find a keeper with decent judgement.

As football fans it is in our nature to make knee-jerk reactions based on scoreline rather than performance. I would encourage fans to give the new man a chance.

We need to remember that we have a threadbare backline at the moment. If this can be shorn up and we survive this season then I am confident we will be back challenging for promotion next season playing an attractive, dynamic brand of football.

205 posts