The midfield

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

The midfield

by PistolPete » 05 Jan 2019 23:34

So we know by know that Gomes likes to use a double pivot + 3 attacking midfielders. I’d also say that - and we had no real idea at the beginning of the season- that the midfield is our strength...

But what is the best player combination?

At ‘6’ Ezetolahi might well be the best suited to the sitting defensive role, and then for ‘8’ it’s a toss-up between the ball playing of Kelly or the drive of Rinomhota. At ‘10’ it’s the passing of Swift or the skills of Aluko.

Therefore, we have 5 players for 3 places, ironically only 2 of which were considered/known 3 months ago!

Or, do you think we would be better off with someone else?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The midfield

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Jan 2019 23:50

......Rinomhota....Ezatolahi
McCleary...?????????......Harriott

It's between Kelly, Aluko, Bacuna and Swift for AMC.

Kelly probably isn't up to it as his legs are too short for him to carry the ball well and he's not quite got the through ball or shot
Aluko has been dire,but shown some recent signs that used as a No. 10 instead of a winger he might be ok.
Bacuna carries the ball well and can score, but puts in some real stinkers and isn't quite attacking enough, similar to Kelly
Swift ought to be the obvious choice, but he doesn't actually deliver much and has put in some real shitshows.

There's also Baldock, Bodvarsson, Meite, McNulty and Loader but none really fit that position IMO.

Kelly would make good cover for either Eza or Rino. Bacuna too, but he seems like he might be expensive as cover.

I think I'd fill the hole with Bacuna.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 Jan 2019 00:03

I'd play Kelly as the deep lying playmaker, dictating the play like he did today. Then slightly infront I'd play Rinomhota to do the "Danny Williams" role but even better of running around everywhere. Then in the 10 role I'd play Aluko

Best thing now is the midfield has options. If we need more physical presence, then we have Ezatolahi, if we need another engine in midfield, we have Bacuna, and we also have Swift if Aluko is playing like his old self. IMO, the midfield three has gone from our weakest position at the start of the season to our strongest one now

I'd love to line up like this at some point

Jaakkola
Yiadom Moore Blackett New LB
Kelly Rinomhota
Harriott Aluko New LW
Bodvarsson

Seems a decent team on paper

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Jan 2019 00:21

Has there ever been a more unbalanced squad where working out the best formation has been so difficult? I would go 3/5/2 and something on the lines of...

Jaakkola GK
Moore CB
Blackett CB
Osho CB
Yiadom WB
Richards WB
Ezatolahi CDM
Rinomhota CM
Swift ACM
Bodvarsson ST
Loader ST

This puts the onus on Richards and Yiadom to bomb forward and for Swift to get his act together and start creating chances. I was tempted to put Bacuna in ahead of Swift but I think we would struggle to create. I really want two strikers with one big/one smaller partnership.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 Jan 2019 00:30

Zip Has there ever been a more unbalanced squad where working out the best formation has been so difficult? I would go 3/5/2 and something on the lines of...

Jaakkola GK
Moore CB
Blackett CB
Osho CB
Yiadom WB
Richards WB
Ezatolahi CDM
Rinomhota CM
Swift ACM
Bodvarsson ST
Loader ST

This puts the onus on Richards and Yiadom to bomb forward and for Swift to get his act together and start creating chances. I was tempted to put Bacuna in ahead of Swift but I think we would struggle to create. I really want two strikers with one big/one smaller partnership.

I like the look of that, I think going forward Richards is decent, he's not good enough yet defensively to be a LB, so using him at LWB will take the pressure off him

I'd like to see McNulty with Bod rather than Loader, don't remember them two playing together yet and feel McNulty has been harshly overlooked but it seems highly improbable he'll play for us again
Not sure about Osho yet but can't be worse than Ilori :roll: then again apart from Tuesday I don't think O'Shea has been that bad at all

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 06 Jan 2019 00:37

I can’t belive I missed Bacuna!

I see him best stuffed to the ‘8’ role, which means we have (in my opinion) 3 players for one position, and 6 in total for 3 places.

LOL at the idea Kelly is too small to carry the ball! A lack of height has been the key for some of the best dribblers in history!

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Jan 2019 00:37

URZZZZ
Zip Has there ever been a more unbalanced squad where working out the best formation has been so difficult? I would go 3/5/2 and something on the lines of...

Jaakkola GK
Moore CB
Blackett CB
Osho CB
Yiadom WB
Richards WB
Ezatolahi CDM
Rinomhota CM
Swift ACM
Bodvarsson ST
Loader ST

I like the look of that, I think going forward Richards is decent, he's not good enough yet defensively to be a LB, so using him at LWB will take the pressure off him

I'd like to see McNulty with Bod rather than Loader, don't remember them two playing together yet and feel McNulty has been harshly overlooked but it seems highly improbable he'll play for us again
Not sure about Osho yet but can't be worse than Ilori :roll: then again apart from Tuesday I don't think O'Shea has been that bad at all

Fair point about McNulty. He has barely had a chance. If he is going to play it has to be alongside another striker and preferably a bigger guy. Like you I am not an Ilori fan. Osho was impressive against Middlesbrough. I would like to see him given another chance. Ezatolahi is tall so would help us in the air. I’m not keen on seeing O’Shea.
Fully agree about Richards. I think he is more suited as a wing back than a full back.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Jan 2019 00:43

Snowflake Royal ......Rinomhota....Ezatolahi

Kelly probably isn't up to it as his legs are too short for him to carry the ball well and he's not quite got the through ball or shot
Aluko has been dire,but shown some recent signs that used as a No. 10 instead of a winger he might be ok.
Bacuna carries the ball well and can score, but puts in some real stinkers and isn't quite attacking enough, similar to Kelly
Swift ought to be the obvious choice, but he doesn't actually deliver much and has put in some real shitshows.

There's also Baldock, Bodvarsson, Meite, McNulty and Loader but none really fit that position IMO.

Kelly would make good cover for either Eza or Rino. Bacuna too, but he seems like he might be expensive as cover.

You'd include Bacuna who got himself deliberately sent off in order to get New Years off.... Wow I knew you were clueless when it came to football but this is a new low for you.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 06 Jan 2019 01:45

Old Man Andrews

You'd include Bacuna who got himself deliberately sent off in order to get New Years off.... Wow I knew you were clueless when it came to football but this is a new low for you.

I know it’s Ian Royal, who deserves it, but this constant shit trolling at anyone who has an opinion (actually a bit like Ian Royal) is fcuking tedious.

Just stop it. You’re dull,

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Jan 2019 02:09

leon
Old Man Andrews

I know it’s Ian Royal, who deserves it, but this constant shit trolling at anyone who has an opinion (actually a bit like Ian Royal) is fcuking tedious.

Just stop it. You’re dull,

It's called disagreeing with someone Leon you miserable old man.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 06 Jan 2019 09:29

URZZZZ

Jaakkola GK
Moore CB
Blackett CB
Osho CB
Yiadom WB
Richards WB
Ezatolahi CDM
Rinomhota CM
Swift ACM
Bodvarsson ST
Loader ST

McNulty is utter toilet. He’s had ample opportunity to do something and not saying it’s easy in a poor team but he’s not looked remotely like being able at this level. Should be one of the first sent packing.

ROWY

by ROWY » 06 Jan 2019 09:36

[quoteLOL at the idea Kelly is too small to carry the ball! A lack of height has been the key for some of the best dribblers in history!][/quote]

Love to be proven wrong but Kelly will never be a dribbler, let alone a best in history

The unfortunate but honest reality is that Kelly will never be top class in his position, mainly because he is to small

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Jan 2019 09:36

PistolPete I can’t belive I missed Bacuna!

I see him best stuffed to the ‘8’ role, which means we have (in my opinion) 3 players for one position, and 6 in total for 3 places.

LOL at the idea Kelly is too small to carry the ball! A lack of height has been the key for some of the best dribblers in history!

He just can't run quick enough with the ball to get away from anyone. Any time I've seen him try he gets overhauled and the opportunity is lost... often forced off the ball.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Jan 2019 09:44

CountryRoyal
URZZZZ

Jaakkola GK
Moore CB
Blackett CB
Osho CB
Yiadom WB
Richards WB
Ezatolahi CDM
Rinomhota CM
Swift ACM
Bodvarsson ST
Loader ST

McNulty is utter toilet. He’s had ample opportunity to do something and not saying it’s easy in a poor team but he’s not looked remotely like being able at this level. Should be one of the first sent packing.

Harsh on McNulty. He's looked decent to me, but very clearly not suited to where we've played him... upfront alone or No. 10 behind Baldock for the most part Iirc. I agree with Zip he could do well with Bod or Meite as a proper partnership of two strikers.

I quite like the 3 CBs and wing backs with two upfront. I still have a good deal of positivity for Ilori and think he'll improve over time, particularly in a 3 and with a better experienced player alongside him. Not convinced Yiadom and Richards are up to being our sole creative outlets out wide though. Gunter and Blackett certainly aren't. McCleary might be useful in that regard.

I don't think we'll see us play that way though.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Jan 2019 10:14

Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal
URZZZZ

Harsh on McNulty. He's looked decent to me, but very clearly not suited to where we've played him... upfront alone or No. 10 behind Baldock for the most part Iirc. I agree with Zip he could do well with Bod or Meite as a proper partnership of two strikers.

I quite like the 3 CBs and wing backs with two upfront. I still have a good deal of positivity for Ilori and think he'll improve over time, particularly in a 3 and with a better experienced player alongside him. Not convinced Yiadom and Richards are up to being our sole creative outlets out wide though. Gunter and Blackett certainly aren't. McCleary might be useful in that regard.

I don't think we'll see us play that way though.

McNulty has not been given a proper chance which is utterly baffling given Clement brought him to the club so he must have had a plan as to how McNulty was going to fit in. Or perhaps he didn’t which shows that the departure of PC was probably not before time.

I now expect him to go back to Coventry this month for half the original fee paid - and no doubt bag a shed load against Reading next season...

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 Jan 2019 11:13

CountryRoyal

He has had a TOTAL of just 592 minutes 412 League minutes, the total of 4.5 league games playing time,
dragged on into an under-performing side, scoring one goal and getting one assist

That is hardly "ample opportunity"

Loader has had 556 minutes, 449 minutes league, but "better" minutes (more time per game), for zero goals and 1 assists

Sims has had 640 minutes, no goals

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 Jan 2019 11:17

McNulty has always looked decent to me, plenty of movement
a bit like a number 10/AMF

I think, from what we have our top two should be Bod-McNulty
and the pair GIVEN TIME to form a partnership

Loader and Baldock as subs, trying to give Loader 20 minutes most games

Franconian Royal

by Franconian Royal » 06 Jan 2019 11:22

The midfield slots look all a bit congested to me. I'd look to build the midfield around Ezahtolahi, once he is fit. I'd play Swift because he looked good against QPR and was ok against Swansea (no one came out of that really with any credit.) I'd have Bacuna as my other defensive minded midfielder and Kelly, well I'm really not sure what he brings to the party, if he ever does bring something. Swift needs to be the No.10 conducting things in the hole behind the striker, but ideally we need to play with 2 strikers up top.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Jan 2019 11:38

Snowball McNulty has always looked decent to me, plenty of movement
a bit like a number 10/AMF

I think, from what we have our top two should be Bod-McNulty
and the pair GIVEN TIME to form a partnership

Loader and Baldock as subs, trying to give Loader 20 minutes most games

No Meite? He's a good old battering ram who scares defences more than Bod and creates more loose balls to capitalise on IMO... Not saying he's better than Bod, just surprised he doesn't seem to make your cut.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Jan 2019 11:53

Snowball
CountryRoyal

He has had a TOTAL of just 592 minutes 412 League minutes, the total of 4.5 league games playing time,
dragged on into an under-performing side, scoring one goal and getting one assist

That is hardly "ample opportunity"

Loader has had 556 minutes, 449 minutes league, but "better" minutes (more time per game), for zero goals and 1 assists

Sims has had 640 minutes, no goals

Yes a good use of the stats here. McNulty hasn’t had a look in really. Of those 412 League minutes how many were played alongside another striker? Not many. If he is to play it has to be alongside another striker and one that is considerably bigger than him.