Confimred loan - Ovie Ejaria

368 posts
Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Confimred loan - Ovie Ejaria

by Lower West » 29 Jul 2020 17:54

tidus_mi2 But his form tailed off and now it has become apparent why Liverpool were happy to take £3m for him.

Watching the Liverpool U23's play in the FA Cup earlier in the season. All too apparent why he has been discarded. A player that needs a kick up the backside by playing in the lower leagues. Talent alone isn't sufficient.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 29 Jul 2020 18:37

tidus_mi2 But his form tailed off and now it has become apparent why Liverpool were happy to take £3m for him.

Watching the Liverpool U23's play in the FA Cup earlier in the season. All too apparent why he has been discarded. A player that needs a kick up the backside by playing in the lower leagues. Talent alone isn't sufficient.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 29 Jul 2020 18:45

Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal
tidus_mi2 On top form you can see why most of us were getting excited about Ejaria at the start of the season and it seemed mad that Liverpool were happy for him to go for £3m.

But his form tailed off and now it has become apparent why Liverpool were happy to take £3m for him.

It doesn’t help when he’s constantly played in a position which doesn’t suit him.

What does suit him though?

He's played normal midfield, attacking midfield, left forward, left midfield....

He's looked basically the same everywhere. Hugely talented, but too showy, poor tempo and poor decisions.

It’s the unfortunate trait of a modern footballer...lots of skill but doesn’t excel in any position.

I’d swap the flashy glimpses of quality for a team playing at a higher tempo.

How many assists did he end up with this season in the end?

Not saying I don’t think he’ll improve, but I also don’t understand the jizz fest from the kids

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 29 Jul 2020 18:55

Take a look at WhoScored. It's quite revealing

Ovie played in about six positions but was stand-out when played high central as AM

His overall score, including often playing wide (Deffo not his favourite) was 7.17 making
him 20th in the league. Swift was 7.22 in 14th

Swift is 2.5 years older and got to play in his preferred position almost all
the time, and takes the majority of free kicks. The goals he gets from these (?/6) from
10% more on field minutes, clearly helps his score.

But check Ejaria's score when in his preferred position 7.29 compared
with 6.61 in his least-favoured position. All 3 of his goals came from being
played central and 2 of his 5 assists.

That 7.29 rating is good enough for 6th best player in the league, 5th for players
still in this league. And in an inconsistent, underperforming side

What's the betting if we lose him, he goes somewhere, plays high central and becomes a star?

This (below) is fine company indeed. and he is still young/relatively inexperienced

Benrhama, Brentford
Pereira, West Brom
Ayew, Swansea
Eze, QPR

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Bowen (was Hull, sold to Premiership West Ham)

Ejaria, Reading
Hutchinson (Millwall),

Ollie Watkins, Brentford
Jed Wallace, Millwall
Luke Ayling, Leeds
Keiffer Moore, Wigan
=================
Mitrovic, Fulham
Morrison, Cardiff
Pinnock, Brentford
Swift, Reading
Hernandez, Leeds

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 29 Jul 2020 18:58

CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal
It doesn’t help when he’s constantly played in a position which doesn’t suit him.

What does suit him though?

He's played normal midfield, attacking midfield, left forward, left midfield....

He's looked basically the same everywhere.

NOT REMOTELY TRUE

Hugely talented, but too showy, poor tempo and poor decisions.

I think he’s looked significantly more effective being central as an attacking midfielder. Unfortunately for him swift was performing well and trying to accommodate both proved problematic. Thanks for the DM tho btw meant to reply but forgot!

Yes, see my stats post below. In his least favourite position he was clocking 6.6's
whereas in his best (high attacking midfield) he had a score which placed him 5th/joint sixth in the league
clearly beating Swift down to 15th place

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 29 Jul 2020 19:01

Notts Royal
It’s the unfortunate trait of a modern footballer...lots of skill but doesn’t excel in any position.

If 5th best player of 359 in the league is not excelling.

He is strikingly a MUCH better player when played high attacking midfield.

I suggest at 22 and a half, that is extremely promising.

Doe anyone know how many times he played central attacking midfield?

He got all his goals from there and 40% of his assists.

I would say he probably played 20% of the time there.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 29 Jul 2020 19:02

Snowball What's the betting if we lose him, he goes somewhere, plays high central and becomes a star?

I definitely think if he gets a decent permanent move this summer to a club willing to invest and work to get the best out of him, it will all click and he'll be in the prem within 3 years.

Another loan and he could easily end up in similar to Lewis Baker, stuck as a bit part player still looking to settle somewhere at 25/26.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jul 2020 19:29

Who scored's formations and positions are highly dubious. So any look at performance based o that isn't worth much.

They're ratings aren't to reliable either.

The actual individual stat counting is what it's useful for, accepting reasonable margins of error.
Last edited by Snowflake Royal on 29 Jul 2020 19:35, edited 1 time in total.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 29 Jul 2020 19:31

Snowflake Royal Who scored's formations and positions are highly dubious. So any look at performance based o that isn't worth much.

We KNOW he has rarely played in his favoured position, and we know when he did he scored goals

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jul 2020 19:40

Look snowball, you can get shouty all you want, but the fact is those ratings are highly questionable and whoscored frequently gets our formation and player positions wrong.

Feel free to spam poor judgements based on questionable stats to back up your view, I know it's your raison d'etre. Just don't expect me to put any stock in them or you, or them let them slide unchallenged.

Bristol Paul

by Bristol Paul » 29 Jul 2020 19:44

Snowflake Royal Look snowball, you can get shouty all you want, but the fact is those ratings are highly questionable and whoscored frequently gets our formation and player positions wrong.

Feel free to spam poor judgements based on questionable stats to back up your view, I know it's your raison d'etre. Just don't expect me to put any stock in them or you, or them let them slide unchallenged.

He’s not getting “shouty” , he’s right, Ovie has rarely played in his favoured position,.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jul 2020 19:56

You're right he wasn't shouty, that was just his stat spam and an earlier post with a massive font enlarge.

Talk to different people and they'll tell you he was best wide combined with Blackett.

I do think centrally is where he's best. But his performance remains underwhelming on end product pretty much all over the pitch bar a small spell early on. And those stats snowball is trying to base his proof on are garbage for this.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 29 Jul 2020 19:57

Bristol Paul
Snowflake Royal Look snowball, you can get shouty all you want, but the fact is those ratings are highly questionable and whoscored frequently gets our formation and player positions wrong.

He’s not getting “shouty” , he’s right, Ovie has rarely played in his favoured position,.

You are doing your usual, Ian, talking for the sake of it,
taking the contrary position as if somehow you are the expert

1 How many people reading this thread think Ovie has been played
out of his favourite position more often than not?

2. YOU say Whoscored's ratings are highly questionable. PROVE it.

Look at the hottest properties in the league and guess where they are rated

We would love to have any of the top ten, or Mitrovic 11th, Pinnock, Brentford 12, Hernandezor, Aytling or Phillips of Leeds, and surprise, surprise, they are all in the top 20 players.

You really show yourself up, when YOU think you know better than pundits, managers, Trsnfrmkt, Whoscored.

You basically talk twaddle.

They isn't a punter on this list who thinks Ejaria can't do amazing things with a football. There will be very few or none who think he has been played every game in his best position.

But Ian knows best.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jul 2020 19:58

:roll:

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 29 Jul 2020 20:00

Snowflake Royal You're right he wasn't shouty, that was just his stat spam and an earlier post with a massive font enlarge.

Talk to different people and they'll tell you he was best wide combined with Blackett.

I do think centrally is where he's best. But his performance remains underwhelming on end product pretty much all over the pitch bar a small spell early on. And those stats snowball is trying to base his proof on are garbage for this.

Not the same thing. yes there was a time when the TRIO of Swift, Ejaria, Blackett
had a good thing going down one flank.

But the question was what is his best position and it is 99% certain it's high central attacking midfield.

How many times this season has that trio played and worked together?

Jut because THREE players worked together well
doesn't mean ONE of those players is best-suited to the role

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 29 Jul 2020 20:02

Post eye-rolls as much as you like, you are generally known for talking
twaddle, and for a few seasons you pontificated after "watching" by radio.

Yeah I like stats to back my arguments. You're just pompous and a bit dumb

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 29 Jul 2020 20:55

This is the most bent beef I've ever seen.

"my stats are better"
"no, mine are!"
"oh come on then let's just get it over with and oxf*rd."

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 29 Jul 2020 23:02

I don't put a huge amount of weight on either WhoScored's formations or its average ratings, but unless I'm reading them wrong, they don't show what you're saying they show, Snowball.

Central midfield: 19 apps, 3 goals, 2 assists, 7.29
Attacking left midfield: 8 appearances, 3 assists, 7.22
Attacking central midfield: 3 appearances, 6.61

(6 appearances in other positions, no goals or assists)

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 30 Jul 2020 11:54

We might as well just fold the club if we're not willing to pay the £3m we agreed for what could be an absolute star who we could easily cash in on at the end of the season if he doesn't help us get promoted

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 30 Jul 2020 12:29

Silver Fox We might as well just fold the club if we're not willing to pay the £3m we agreed for what could be an absolute star who we could easily cash in on at the end of the season if he doesn't help us get promoted

+1

368 posts