Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Derby County (a) sponsored by Yakubu

by Sutekh » 15 Jan 2019 10:07

When : Saturday 19th January, 3pm
Where : Pride Park Stadium, Derby, DE24 8XL
Capacity : 33,597
Away Stand : In a corner between the East and South stands
What might I see in the area : Expectation

Coming up next is a visit to Derby for what will be another very difficult game but at least it doesn’t seem quite as depressing a prospect as it might have been a couple of weeks ago after a couple of impressive performances. But despite those performances it is essential not to get carried away and keep feet well and truly on the ground – at least for the next few games anyway.

Derby are not in form. Their current form is 1 win in 7 (4 draws in that run) and they have a FA Cup replay at Southampton this midweek so hopefully they’ll field a full strength side for that and at least take it to extra time and penalties.

But then Reading’s form is 1 win in 10 so Derby are well ahead of Reading in the form table in that respect. On the upside though that 1 win was last time out so on the actual form over the last game only Reading are mounting promotion challenge while derby are in danger of relegation.

Team news or Derby is that Harry Wilson’s situation is still uncertain as Liverpool may want to recall him. There are also doubts over Mason Bennett (hamstring), Marcus Olsson (knee), Craig Forsyth (knee) and Curtis Davies (Achilles) while Ikechi Anya is unlikely play after falling out of favour at the club.

Reading’s catalogue of woe has actually improved considerably since Gomes arrived with only 5 names
From the senior squad now entertaining the physio at the moment; Obita, O’Shea, Meite, Baldock and Eza and perhaps 2/3 of those may make this by the time the full week unfolds. Of course whether the mystery injury raffle is still in operation remains to be seen.

Referee

Andy Woolmer is in charge of this one

Previously

18 Oct 16 > Reading 1-2 Aston Villa
27 Aug 16 > Cardiff City 0-1 Reading
23 Aug 14 > Nottingham Forest 4-0 Reading
08 Apr 14 > Bournemouth 3-1 Reading
29 Oct 11 > Crystal Palace 0-0 Reading
12 Apr 11 > Scunthorpe United 0-2 Reading
15 Apr 10 > Reading 3-0 Coventry City
16 Sep 08 > Reading 6-0 Sheffield Wednesday
17 Sep 05 > Reading 1-0 Crewe Alexandra

Historically

Reading have largely had the upper hand in games against Derby registering almost twice as many wins (23) in all competitions.

In the league this game will be the 40th time the two sides have met with all games having been played since 1984 – a drab 0-0 at Elm Park (so, on average, it's been roughly one game a year since then). The return from the 19 previous league trips to Derby is 9 wins, 3 draws and 7 defeats which is really rather good when you consider that Derby have always been a fairly decent top two division team.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the game
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Old Man Andrews

Re: MATCHWATCH : Derby County (a) sponsored by Yakubu

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Jan 2019 10:09

I don't trust Andy Woolmer, been in the Football League for too long without getting promoted to the Prem. There is a reason.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 15 Jan 2019 10:11

All I see here is an out of sorts Derby County. We have a good record up there and are coming off the back of a good win and a general feel-good factor.

A draw is the least I will accept from this game.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Jan 2019 10:39

Definitely want to be targeting a positive result. Be huge if Wilson doesn't play for them

Happy with the same lineup as last game pretty much. Baker will be eyeing a start, but not sure who would be missing out for him. Swift and Rino have been probably our best players over the last 6 weeks or so, and Bacuna has been on decent form when not stamping on people.

Richards/Blackett prob the other area of debate. Would rather Blackett there just about

Royal Bee

by Royal Bee » 15 Jan 2019 10:48

This is potentially a very big game for Reading! The performance against Manure was very good and only really lacked the finishing. That was followed up by a win and then a game away to a very good team at a time when they are struggling for results.

A win, or even a point in this game could really boost the players’ confidence and confidence can make a hell of a difference for any team

In fact, win it and surely, we’ll be red hot favourites to go up via the play-offs… OK, maybe not :lol:
Last edited by Royal Bee on 15 Jan 2019 15:36, edited 1 time in total.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Jan 2019 10:57

Royal Bee This is potentially a very big game for Reading! The performance against reading was very good and only really lacked the finishing. That was followed up by a win and then a game away to a very good team at a time when they are struggling for results.

A win, or even a point in this game could really boost the players’ confidence and confidence can make a hell of a difference for any team

In fact, win it and surely, we’ll be red hot favourites to go up via the play-offs… OK, maybe not :lol:

Well when you play yourself you can only win.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 15 Jan 2019 11:20

Old Man Andrews
Royal Bee This is potentially a very big game for Reading! The performance against reading was very good and only really lacked the finishing. That was followed up by a win and then a game away to a very good team at a time when they are struggling for results.

Where have you been the last 18 months??

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 15 Jan 2019 11:34

Old Man Andrews

or draw

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 15 Jan 2019 11:38

John Smith All I see here is an out of sorts Frank Lampards Derby County. We have a good record up there and are coming off the back of a good win and a general feel-good factor.

A draw is the least I will accept from this game.

Edited for you

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Jan 2019 13:27

Derby really aren't great, they have 1 win in 7, one good run in October/November time aside, they've been completely average all season and their first half performance at the Mad Stad is the worst I've seen in a long time, even worse than Hull and Forest last week. We always seem to do OK up there as well so I'd be disappointed with a loss

Team should be the same, possibly Harriott in for Barrow if fit but I don't think we should be changing a winning team. Just need to keep Tom Lawrence out, he seems to score every time we play him

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Jan 2019 13:30

URZZZZ Derby really aren't great, they have 1 win in 7, one good run in October/November time aside, they've been completely average all season and their first half performance at the Mad Stad is the worst I've seen in a long time, even worse than Hull and Forest last week. We always seem to do OK up there as well so I'd be disappointed with a loss

Team should be the same, possibly Harriott in for Barrow if fit but I don't think we should be changing a winning team. Just need to keep Tom Lawrence out, he seems to score every time we play him

Being in the playoffs for all of the season is slightly better than average. Poor opinion.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Jan 2019 13:32

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ Derby really aren't great, they have 1 win in 7, one good run in October/November time aside, they've been completely average all season and their first half performance at the Mad Stad is the worst I've seen in a long time, even worse than Hull and Forest last week. We always seem to do OK up there as well so I'd be disappointed with a loss

Being in the playoffs for all of the season is slightly better than average. Poor opinion.

What about all those who called us "poor" and "average" when we finished 3rd? Because let's be honest, we weren't amazing that season were we

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Jan 2019 13:34

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews

What about all those who called us "poor" and "average" when we finished 3rd? Because let's be honest, we weren't amazing that season were we

Anyone who finishes in places 1-6 in the Championship cannot be called average. It is arguably the toughest league in professional football and the teams are where they are on merit.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 15 Jan 2019 15:10

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews

Were you one of them?
Derby are better than average.
What happened to us in the past up there will have little or no bearing on what happens on the field on Sat.
They've lost twice at home all season (to Leeds and Villa).

Royal Bee

by Royal Bee » 15 Jan 2019 15:41

Old Man Andrews Well when you play yourself you can only win.
:oops: :lol:
I can't even blame drink for this! :D

Royal Bee This is potentially a very big game for Reading! The performance against Manure was very good and only really lacked the finishing. That was followed up by a win and then a game away to a very good team at a time when they are struggling for results.

Corrected :mrgreen:

Royal Bee

by Royal Bee » 15 Jan 2019 15:45

Old Man Andrews

I get his point though! They are in that position because they done very well earlier in the season for a spell, but 1 win in their last 7 games suggests that they are not at that level right now. In fact, you could argue that they are poor right now, despite their position in the table

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Jan 2019 15:47

Denver Royal
URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews

Were you one of them?
Derby are better than average.
What happened to us in the past up there will have little or no bearing on what happens on the field on Sat.
They've lost twice at home all season (to Leeds and Villa).

I always thought in terms of football ability, that we were very average when we came 3rd. But we were an effective side, 11 hard working players playing as a TEAM, we seemed to deviate from playing as a team to playing as 11 individuals recently and this is why I've been impressed with Gomes thus far because he's beginning to stamp his authority on the players and making them act as a squad again

I saw somewhere that he had banned the use of mobile phones on journeys to away games, forcing them to communicate with one another instead of staring at screens

I see Derby as a similar blueprint to our success under Stam, an inexperienced manager doing good jobs with a very successful playing career. But Lampard, like Stam have serious limitations in the game and we need to try and exploit them, they do seem to have taken a few tonkings, Villa (H) Leeds (H), completely outplayed at Elland Road etc

Maybe my point came across harshly towards Derby, they've certainly surpassed expectations considering they sold a couple of key players. But everytime I've watched them with the exception of West Brom they seem to just grind out results rather than convincingly win, IIRC they've scored many a late goal this season, including at the Madejski. So I think whilst in hindsight 6th away certainly won't be easy, it's not as hard as people think and I think we can nick something if we stick to our principles

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 15 Jan 2019 19:38

Yep, you make some good points. Don’t know anyone who thinks we had an ‘awesome’ team 2 years ago. I don’t know anyone who expected to have one, either. Unsurprisingly, it had some flaws and weaknesses. Anyway, that’s all been said.
Derby, away, I think we’re going to have to play well to win. Or, maybe even to draw. They are having a dip, which can happen, so maybe not a bad time to be playing them. As expected, Lamps is having his ups and downs, as most 1st year managers do. But reckon they might still make Top 6 come May. Agree?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Jan 2019 21:43

Certainly think they'll be up there, a lot depends on whether or not any team has a "Reading 11-12 run" or Fulham run from last year because at the moment there doesn't seem to be many teams challenging the top 6, Villa and Forest seem to be falling away, at the moment, the two teams most likely to break in are Hull of all teams and Bristol

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Jan 2019 07:17

Is slightly mental with Hull. Massive fair play to Adkins on that one. They could easily break top 6

Derby are a solid side no doubts. If Wilson went back to Liverpool would hit them very hard though

220 posts