CONFIMRED - New Keeper Emiliano Martinez

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: CONFIMRED - New Keeper Emiliano Martinez

by Nameless » 25 Jan 2019 21:20

Snowflake Royal
Nameless
Snowflake Royal If we move out Mannone or Walker the situation is completely different and there's nothing wrong with the signing. At present that doesn't seem likely to me.

With respect you have no idea how likely it is we will move a keeper out. Anymore than you (or I) had any idea we were signing this one.
It is clear we WANT to move at least one and we are now entering the week when the moves start happening...

I'm dealing with the reality of the situation as it stands. You're the one who introduced the speculative possibility of someone leaving. Not me. I just responded.

I don't think it's unreasonable to conclude that if someone was going to leave it probably would have happened by now. Especially seeing as if somwlething was looking imminent we could just have held off on this signing until it was done.

It may not be unreasonable but it flies in the face of what happens in every window when most of the nonplanned business happens towards the end of the window.
If Gomes believes the new guy is a better fit for the way he wants to play it makes absolute sense to have signed him when there is an opportunity for a decent amount of training without a game. If he had left it later he’d either have gone8nto the Bolton game with much less time to get to know the team or the Villa game in the same position. The timing of our business has been pretty good given the way the fixtures have fallen.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 25 Jan 2019 21:42

Nameless Your keeper is the keystone of the side.
A safe, commanding, decisive keeper is essential.
We didn’t have one of those, we had 3 keepers all of whom have significant weaknesses and not a huge amount to differentiate them
If the new lad brings those characteristics then it will be as big a bonus as if Oliviera brings goals.
It won’t be about the saves he makes or his distribution it will be about the confidence he gives the rest of the team. I think a lot of the reason our defenders make so many mistakes is because they have no confidence in the guy behind them.
And of course if we can move out one or two of the unwanted keepers we’re probably neutral in terms of FFP anyway

Can't argue with any of this.

Well said.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 25 Jan 2019 23:46

Nameless
Snowflake Royal
Nameless
With respect you have no idea how likely it is we will move a keeper out. Anymore than you (or I) had any idea we were signing this one.
It is clear we WANT to move at least one and we are now entering the week when the moves start happening...

I'm dealing with the reality of the situation as it stands. You're the one who introduced the speculative possibility of someone leaving. Not me. I just responded.

I don't think it's unreasonable to conclude that if someone was going to leave it probably would have happened by now. Especially seeing as if somwlething was looking imminent we could just have held off on this signing until it was done.

It may not be unreasonable but it flies in the face of what happens in every window when most of the nonplanned business happens towards the end of the window.
If Gomes believes the new guy is a better fit for the way he wants to play it makes absolute sense to have signed him when there is an opportunity for a decent amount of training without a game. If he had left it later he’d either have gone8nto the Bolton game with much less time to get to know the team or the Villa game in the same position. The timing of our business has been pretty good given the way the fixtures have fallen.

Of course it is.
I suspect some people arguing are arguing for ‘other’ reasons. Accordingly, if this window had been secured by the previous manager (which it wouldn’t have, for various reasons), you’d be hearing a different tune.
Prepare for the performances by the 5 new signings to be marginalized, no matter how well they do.
Time will tell whether they pan out, but success or otherwise, at this point I’ve been impressed by the way he’s got business done, having only just landed here.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 26 Jan 2019 12:24

Denver Royal Prepare for the performances by the 5 new signings to be marginalized, no matter how well they do.

Be interesting to see how the squad as a whole bonds with the influx of new arrivals. Let's hope character assessment was part of the selection process not just technical skill level. .

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 27 Jan 2019 10:29

NewCorkSeth I thought we were supposed to get that Man Utd guy? The really good one?

Joel Castro Pereira? The one sent back to United by Vitória de Setúbal for allegedly being crap?

To be fair, that also describes Baker, Ejaria and Miazga with Leeds, Rangers and Nice, but I don't think there's much in it between Pereira and Martinez tbh.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Jan 2019 10:53

Ejaria wasn't sent back, he chose to leave because he wasn't happy there.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 27 Jan 2019 11:08

Snowflake Royal Ejaria wasn't sent back, he chose to leave because he wasn't happy there.

Yeah, I seem to remember reading that Gerrard wanted to keep him.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Jan 2019 18:13

maffff
NewCorkSeth I thought we were supposed to get that Man Utd guy? The really good one?

Joel Castro Pereira? The one sent back to United by Vitória de Setúbal for allegedly being crap?

To be fair, that also describes Baker, Ejaria and Miazga with Leeds, Rangers and Nice, but I don't think there's much in it between Pereira and Martinez tbh.

Baker only played twice at Leeds during his time there so sought to end it.

Ejaria did not settle well with Rangers and despite playing didn’t like the overly physical side of the game so wanted out

Miazga went to Nantes but they had a change in management I believe and he stopped getting game time there and so also wanted out.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 27 Jan 2019 22:08

maffff

Yeah. Him. Thought he was supposed to be shit hot. Did Mourinho not say he was incredible a few seasons back?

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 28 Jan 2019 09:59

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Nameless Your keeper is the keystone of the side.
A safe, commanding, decisive keeper is essential.
We didn’t have one of those, we had 3 keepers all of whom have significant weaknesses and not a huge amount to differentiate them
If the new lad brings those characteristics then it will be as big a bonus as if Oliviera brings goals.
It won’t be about the saves he makes or his distribution it will be about the confidence he gives the rest of the team. I think a lot of the reason our defenders make so many mistakes is because they have no confidence in the guy behind them.
And of course if we can move out one or two of the unwanted keepers we’re probably neutral in terms of FFP anyway

Can't argue with any of this.

Well said.

all good points, except he has been brought in specifically and primarily for his distribution and ability on the ball.this in turn gives the defence some confidence, and allows the whole system to function properly.