Dulwich Pre-season Friendly 17/07/2000

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
strap
Hob Nob Regular

Dulwich Pre-season Friendly 17/07/2000

by strap » 27 Jan 2019 07:42

Sincere apologies for clogging up the Main Board. I have tried to reply to a PM but for some reason the reply won't leave my Outbox, it is not full or anything . So as not to appear as though I am ignoring the sender, I have taken the liberty of pasting the info requested here. It may even be of interest to other readers.

From HNA:

Goals from Darius Henderson and Matt Robinson gave Reading a 2-1 victory at Dulwich on Saturday. It was a tight game with few chances, the first half remained scoreless but the home side went ahead early in the second half. Dulwich then hit a post while the Royal put over some good crosses which led to a number of half chances, Lee Hodges going close on a couple of occasions.
The equaliser came with ten minutes remaining when Darius Henderson met a good right wing cross from Craig Brown and sent a looping header into the net for his third goal in two games. Five minutes later Reading gained a winner as Robinson appeared in the middle of the box to send a header into the net.
The Reading team included debutant Keith Jones and triallist Micky Longfellow in midfield. Longfellow impressed for the Army XI against Reading on Wednesday and Alan Pardew will continue to have a look at him over the pre-season.
Team: Whitehead, Brown, Robinson, Viveash, Mackie, Igoe, Jones, Longfellow, Tyson (Gamble), Henderson (Campion), Hodges

From Evening Post:

READING had to come from behind to snatch a late winner in their pre-season friendly at Ryman Premier Division side Dulwich on Saturday.

A youthful-looking Royals outfit were given a real fright before goals from Darius Henderson and Matt Robinson in the final 10 minutes spared their blushes.

Reading manager Alan Pardew, back at one of his former clubs, gave a start to new signings Keith Jones and Adie Viveash, while first-team players Phil Whitehead, Matt Robinson, Hodges and Sammy Igoe also featured.

The Royals began the game with a five-man midfield and Henderson up front on his own. But they almost fell behind as early as the first minute when Viveash miss-hit a back-pass and Jones was forced to hack the ball to safety under pressure from three Dulwich players.

Three minutes later, Veli Hakki dragged a shot wide when it seemed easier to score.

But it was not all one-way. Three separate chances fell to Hodges. but the former Spurs man failed to hit the target on each occasion.

Reading were getting a lot of joy down their left flank, where Nathan Tyson and Robinson linked up well, but the final ball frequently let them down.

Dulwich should have made them pay for this in the 40th minute, when Tony Chin was left unmarked in the six-yard box, but somehow managed to direct his header over the bar.

However, Reading fell behind straight after half-time when Whitehead failed to hold onto a firmly-hit shot and Paul Scott was on hand to knock in the rebound.

The goal spurred Reading into life and, again, they found joy down the flanks.

Robinson and Igoe saw a lot of possession and Igoe was unlucky to see a goalbound shot blocked by a defender.

Pardew pushed Hodges and Tyson further forward to add more fire-power to the attack, but Dulwich sub Dean Green was unfortunate to see his shot come back off the post.

Trialist Joe Gamble, who impressed during last Wednesday's game against an Army XI, came on for Tyson and immediately went on a jinking run only to see his shot sail over the bar.

With 10 minutes left, a sustained period of Reading pressure was rewarded when Academy full back Craig Brown crossed and Henderson rose to power a bullet header into the top corner.

Royals continued to pile forward, and got their reward with four minutes left when Igoe crossed from the right for Robinson to tap in his first goal for the club from five yards out.

Pardew was happy with the display, especially after the hard week the players had had at the Arborfield Garrison.

And he was keen to praise Jon Mackie who looked solid at the heart of the defence.

Pardew said: "I'm just pleased for Jon that's he's finally over his injury and I thought he was superb today."

Reading: Whitehead, Brown, Robinson, Jones, Mackie, Viveash, Igoe, Lightfellow, Henderson (Campion), Hodges, Tyson (Gamble)
Dulwich: Cleevely, Palmer, Ebanks, Hakki, Chin, M Garland, Dussard, P Garland, Fowler, Scott, Kane. Subs: Macken, Green, Bowyer, White, Bull, Salih, Hewitt.

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1