BFTG Villa

424 posts
tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG Villa

by tmesis » 02 Feb 2019 23:51

Denver Royal
Zip
El Diablo Decent all round, without looking too menacing. Defending has improved massively, and confidence is back.
Credit to jose, in a short space of time we've turned a corner. 2 months ago villa would've won that easily.

I don’t understand this corner we have turned. We remain in the relegation zone and find it almost impossible to win a game. We have won once in the past three months...obvs Gomes has only been here for half of that time but only one win for him against a team that had two players sent off doesn’t equate to a corner turned.

Yeah I'm not convinced we've turned a corner, and I'm not sure Gomes thinks so either. We're very much a work in progress and so much hard work remains. For starters we need to get our fk's on target instead of sending them several feet over the bar each week. Have seen that from Swift for some time now, and Baker did the same today.

Also peeved that Rovrum got a point today that I didn't think they would. Millwall are no great shakes but it's a tough place to go.

We don't look a good side all of a sudden, but Swansea game apart, we haven't looked a side resigned to going down, like we did not so long ago.

We definitely looked a bit calmer at the back today. We don't seem to have too many problems giving as good as we get in terms of the balance of play in most games. The problem is just our chronic lack of goalscoring threat.

I'm not one who goes in for stats too much, but one I have noticed a fair bit of late is how poor our crossing is. Every game we seem to have 20-25 crosses, yet usually only about 3 are successful. We need to be doing far better than that.

Mind you, for all the people we can blame for the poor situation, if we didn't have such a terrible run of injuries we'd be doing a lot better. I can't recall any sustained spell at the club where we've had so many, so frequently.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 03 Feb 2019 00:19

tmesis
Denver Royal
Zip I don’t understand this corner we have turned. We remain in the relegation zone and find it almost impossible to win a game. We have won once in the past three months...obvs Gomes has only been here for half of that time but only one win for him against a team that had two players sent off doesn’t equate to a corner turned.

Yeah I'm not convinced we've turned a corner, and I'm not sure Gomes thinks so either. We're very much a work in progress and so much hard work remains. For starters we need to get our fk's on target instead of sending them several feet over the bar each week. Have seen that from Swift for some time now, and Baker did the same today.

Also peeved that Rovrum got a point today that I didn't think they would. Millwall are no great shakes but it's a tough place to go.

We don't look a good side all of a sudden, but Swansea game apart, we haven't looked a side resigned to going down, like we did not so long ago.

We definitely looked a bit calmer at the back today. We don't seem to have too many problems giving as good as we get in terms of the balance of play in most games. The problem is just our chronic lack of goalscoring threat.

I'm not one who goes in for stats too much, but one I have noticed a fair bit of late is how poor our crossing is. Every game we seem to have 20-25 crosses, yet usually only about 3 are successful. We need to be doing far better than that.

Mind you, for all the people we can blame for the poor situation, if we didn't have such a terrible run of injuries we'd be doing a lot better. I can't recall any sustained spell at the club where we've had so many, so frequently.

Heh, I said the other week our crosses seem to find defenders with the precision of a heat seeking missile :wink:
Yep, the injuries are unreal. We're having trouble scoring, Baldock is injured at such a critical time, and don't get me started on Bod.

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 03 Feb 2019 00:26

Far worse than Bacuna’s....

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 03 Feb 2019 00:40

Hound
Lower West
John Madejski's Wallet Can we all just :shock: :shock: at Swift's lack of fitness. 10 minutes to go and he was falling over with tiredness. Just wtaf

If the entire team was match fit. Perhaps would be better for him. Did cover a lot of ground.

I like you JMW, but you don’t have come up with some nonsense sometimes

Swift didn’t stop running all game and would be very surprised if he didn’t cover the most ground of any of our players today. He has no fitness issues at all

Sorry but Swift was poor again. He’s not in the team for tackling, or blistering runs down the wing, he’s there for his passing, creating openings.

Unfortunately he struggled with this.

CavershamRoyal

by CavershamRoyal » 03 Feb 2019 02:01

One of those games which would've been awful to lose, in the end a point was probably a fair reflection. Neither team really created enough concrete chances to feel hard done by.

Martinez 8 - great save second half, quicker distribution than Jaakola.

Yiadom 7 - not great going forward, but extra point for superb sliding block in the second half.
Moore 5 - solid if unspectacular. We need to stop playing through him at the start of every attack, it slows it down too much.
Miazga 6 - looked good but got away with one first half when he clearly handled in the box.
Blackett 6 - slow getting back at times though offered more going forward than Yiadom.

Rino 4 - poorest I've seen him play. A few sloppy passes and often got caught in possession/just ran sideways. He's a class player though, our best midfielder on his day.
Baker 4 - didn't really do much of note.

Ejaria 7 - didn't get much protection from the ref. Too far away to properly see the pen incident first half, but is very skilful and looks a good addition.
Swift 5 - overhit passes and didn't create much, though defensively was much better than usual
Harriott 5 - didn't do much wrong without doing anything outstandingly right.

Oliveira 7 - wins so much in the air and has a great touch. Lacked support for a lot of the game but looks good, hope the Mings stamp doesn't mean he's out for an extended period of time.

Richards 5 - wasn't terrible but an odd substitution.
Aluko 5 - had one shot which went far wide but other than that didn't add much. Needed to show a bit more energy and confidence in taking on a flagging defence.
Meite 6 - caused Villa a few problems at the end, worked hard and ran a lot, but seemed to revert to pre-purple patch Meite with a complete lack of end product. The shank out of play with no Villa player within 5 metres was quite lol-worthy.

Referee was atrocious, him and Coote are the worst I've seen referee a second tier game.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 03 Feb 2019 03:03

CavershamRoyal
Referee was atrocious, him and Coote are the worst I've seen referee a second tier game.

Them and Andy Davies.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 03 Feb 2019 03:56

PieEater That's a good point against a decent Villa side.

Martinez look like a really good keeper.

My only beef is Baker taking that free kick. wtf?

Won one in the last ten, lost 3-0 to Wigan were lucky to beat Ipswich lost 3-0 at home Swansea in the cup. A great cub but a bang average team.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 03 Feb 2019 04:06

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 03 Feb 2019 04:06

CavershamRoyal One of those games which would've been awful to lose, in the end a point was probably a fair reflection. Neither team really created enough concrete chances to feel hard done by.
Yiadom 7 - not great going forward, but extra point for superb sliding block in the second half.
Moore 5 - solid if unspectacular. We need to stop playing through him at the start of every attack, it slows it down too much.
Miazga 6 - looked good but got away with one first half when he clearly handled in the box.
Blackett 6 - slow getting back at times though offered more going forward than Yiadom.
Rino 4 - poorest I've seen him play. A few sloppy passes and often got caught in possession/just ran sideways. He's a class player though, our best midfielder on his day.
Ejaria 7 - didn't get much protection from the ref. Too far away to properly see the pen incident first half, but is very skilful and looks a good addition.
Swift 5 - overhit passes and didn't create much, though defensively was much better than usual
Oliveira 7 - wins so much in the air and has a great touch. Lacked support for a lot of the game but looks good, hope the Mings stamp doesn't mean he's out for an extended period of time.
Aluko 5 - had one shot which went far wide but other than that didn't add much. Needed to show a bit more energy and confidence in taking on a flagging defence.
Meite 6 - caused Villa a few problems at the end, worked hard and ran a lot, but seemed to revert to pre-purple patch Meite with a complete lack of end product. The shank out of play with no Villa player within 5 metres was quite lol-worthy.

Good post, Caversham. I've read you before and have learnt a bit, just wish others like yourself would post more often. Independent, open, honest, no agenda, etc. Anyway...
Blackett, height makes so much difference, ok on the ball too.
Miazga, won his headers, didn't back down from Abraham. Looks fit and moves ok for a big guy.
Agree re. Rino, energetic, but mostly been running around recently, needs to channel it to more purpose.
Ejaria, unsure of position, don't know he even knows, but kinda looks ok doing it and is a nuisance. Needs coaching.
Baker, smooth and can play, but out on his feet on 60 min. Hope there's more to come.
Harriott, in over his head. Not sure re. physique, fitness, pace, etc. Wasn't influential, doubt they were worried.
Aluko, is improved, but pedestrian. Lack of urgency/energy/impact as sub. Doesn't lift team, wouldn't me in mine.
Meite, yep, a bull. Not fit, not cultured, but won headers. Put himself about, their Def didn't fancy him last 20 min.
Oliviera, different class, knows the game, looks the part.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 03 Feb 2019 05:52

Hound Like the Zlatan one it’s incredibly difficult to tell if there was any intention

I do think he could have at the very least made more of an effort not to land on his face like that though

It's very tough to say if it was deliberate or not, only Mings will know for sure. What I'd say is if Oliveira didn't have the horrific injury nobody would be giving it a second thought. Because it is a nasty wound it clouds the judgement of many into automatically thinking it's a deliberate act. Also if the roles were reversed we'd be defending Oliveira vehemently and calling it an accident so we have to take our supporter caps off for a minute and just wait and see what happens in terms of FA investigation, I believe they will look at it.

The on field referee gave nothing and called it an accident, his angle was bad though and probably didn't see the contact. Assistant referee who had a better angle also didn't deem it a violent conduct incident.

Everyone keeps watching it/Tweeting it in slow motion, everything looks worse in slow motion. Makes it look like Mings had way more time than he did to avoid Oliveira's head.

There was no previous incidents of conflict in the game. What was the motive for doing it?

Tyrone Mings has previous and this will come into play should there be an official FA charge. This is no different to his previous FA charge for stamping on Zlatan. If they wish to be consistent they will charge him.

In the video he appears to look down and see Oliveira is beneath him and he could possibly avoid contact. In his defence, Oliveira's right foot makes Mings break his natural stride meaning it would be harder to control where his legs/feet go.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Feb 2019 07:15

leon
Hound
Lower West
If the entire team was match fit. Perhaps would be better for him. Did cover a lot of ground.

I like you JMW, but you don’t have come up with some nonsense sometimes

Swift didn’t stop running all game and would be very surprised if he didn’t cover the most ground of any of our players today. He has no fitness issues at all

Sorry but Swift was poor again. He’s not in the team for tackling, or blistering runs down the wing, he’s there for his passing, creating openings.

Unfortunately he struggled with this.

Not what I was arguing tbf

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 03 Feb 2019 07:23

Denver Royal
CavershamRoyal One of those games which would've been awful to lose, in the end a point was probably a fair reflection. Neither team really created enough concrete chances to feel hard done by.

Good post, Caversham. I've read you before and have learnt a bit, just wish others like yourself would post more often. Independent, open, honest, no agenda, etc. Anyway...
Blackett, height makes so much difference, ok on the ball too.
Miazga, won his headers, didn't back down from Abraham. Looks fit and moves ok for a big guy.
Agree re. Rino, energetic, but mostly been running around recently, needs to channel it to more purpose.
Ejaria, unsure of position, don't know he even knows, but kinda looks ok doing it and is a nuisance. Needs coaching.
Baker, smooth and can play, but out on his feet on 60 min. Hope there's more to come.
Harriott, in over his head. Not sure re. physique, fitness, pace, etc. Wasn't influential, doubt they were worried.
Aluko, is improved, but pedestrian. Lack of urgency/energy/impact as sub. Doesn't lift team, wouldn't me in mine.
Meite, yep, a bull. Not fit, not cultured, but won headers. Put himself about, their Def didn't fancy him last 20 min.
Oliviera, different class, knows the game, looks the part.

I learnt a lot from Caversham`s post as well !!! He must have been at a different game to me - Rino and Baker 4 and then he gives Aluko and Meite 5 and 6 respectively.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Feb 2019 08:22

Old Man Andrews
Hound Like the Zlatan one it’s incredibly difficult to tell if there was any intention

I do think he could have at the very least made more of an effort not to land on his face like that though

It's very tough to say if it was deliberate or not, only Mings will know for sure. What I'd say is if Oliveira didn't have the horrific injury nobody would be giving it a second thought. Because it is a nasty wound it clouds the judgement of many into automatically thinking it's a deliberate act. Also if the roles were reversed we'd be defending Oliveira vehemently and calling it an accident so we have to take our supporter caps off for a minute and just wait and see what happens in terms of FA investigation, I believe they will look at it.

The on field referee gave nothing and called it an accident, his angle was bad though and probably didn't see the contact. Assistant referee who had a better angle also didn't deem it a violent conduct incident.

Everyone keeps watching it/Tweeting it in slow motion, everything looks worse in slow motion. Makes it look like Mings had way more time than he did to avoid Oliveira's head.

There was no previous incidents of conflict in the game. What was the motive for doing it?

Tyrone Mings has previous and this will come into play should there be an official FA charge. This is no different to his previous FA charge for stamping on Zlatan. If they wish to be consistent they will charge him.

In the video he appears to look down and see Oliveira is beneath him and he could possibly avoid contact. In his defence, Oliveira's right foot makes Mings break his natural stride meaning it would be harder to control where his legs/feet go.

That's a pretty fricking good assessment OMA!

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 03 Feb 2019 08:28

Not just Reading fans seeing it as deliberate. Only people I've seen defend it are Villa fans and media.

Either way. At the very least it was awful refereeing to not stop play immediately.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 Feb 2019 08:34

Old Man Andrews

I’d agree that the FA should take a close look. Mings is either a bit of a psycho or incredibly unlucky that players keep putting their face under his studs.
Not sure of some of your other points. Of course there would be no complaints if Oliviera hadn’t been injured ! But he’s got a horrific facial injury which has got people angry.
The ref missed a lot, in fact he missed the clear and obvious foul which immediately preceded the ‘careful foot placement’. He also managed to caution Oliviera for a ‘dive’ which he was unsighted for and followed a shove in the back by Hutton. I’d also doubt the lino was any better able to judge the intent, he was 50 yards away and not looking directly at the incident.
It does look a classic case for post match investigation and IF Mings is found guilty you can imagine he might see out his loan spell sat on the sidelines. If he’s found not guilty then maybe he should consider playing in slippers to avoid a third ‘accident’
Last edited by Nameless on 03 Feb 2019 09:14, edited 1 time in total.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 03 Feb 2019 08:45

Interesting how people can view things differently, I’ve seen a few people say they didn’t rate Miazga, Ejaria and Rinomhota - but I thought they all did very well.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 03 Feb 2019 09:11

URZZZZZZZZ Interesting how people can view things differently, I’ve seen a few people say they didn’t rate Miazga, Ejaria and Rinomhota - but I thought they all did very well.

I thought Miazga was MOTM personally. He had Abraham in his pocket

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Feb 2019 09:21

TBM
URZZZZZZZZ Interesting how people can view things differently, I’ve seen a few people say they didn’t rate Miazga, Ejaria and Rinomhota - but I thought they all did very well.

I thought Miazga was MOTM personally. He had Abraham in his pocket

Was very concerned when Abraham got away from him in the first 5 and took the shot on goal

After that thought he was excellent. My motm as well

Love Rino but he was average. Surprised people think Ejaria was Motm - he looks a good player but not a lot came off for him

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 03 Feb 2019 09:22

I thought the first two did well but Rinomhota was poor. His passing put us into trouble at times. I like him but maybe he needs a couple of games break.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Feb 2019 09:28

Nameless
Lower West
URZZZZ Had high hopes for Gomes after QPR but I just can't see it

Opposition set-up differently. Aston Villa pressed high virtually all game. Whereas QPR were happy to defend deep. Allowing Reading to play in front of them. Same as Man Utd. Gomes is effectively having a preseason in season.

Villa’s press was highly inconsistent, almost looked like they didn’t really know what they were doing.

I’m surprised they can even write up there.

424 posts