BFTG - Blackburn

246 posts
RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: BFTG - Blackburn

by RoyalBlue » 14 Feb 2019 19:44

biff Oliveira has a touch of the Kitsons about him. Been warned by a few Nodge fans that he'll soon lose interest and become a hindrance though. Hopefully just bitterness talking.

Don't reckon he will lose interest when he's working with Gomes and his team of coaches. In terms of man management I'm increasingly of the opinion that Gomes will prove himself to be up there with Sir Steve.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Feb 2019 19:46

Zip
Snowflake Royal I think I'd have preferred Kelly and Baker. Swift really is only suited to the number 10 role and usually doesn't do a very good job of getting stuck in, he also takes too many risks in our half.

Swift and Aluko in midfield doesn't work for me. It's just too much fluff and not enough crunch. One or the other and the one should be Swift.

On top of that you then have Ejaria and Richards. Now I know Riichards is a defender, but the defensive side of his game isn't exactly his strength as a full back.

Think it should have been:

...................Martinez
Yiadom, Miazga, Moore, Blackett
.................Baker...Kelly
...McCleary....Swift............Barrow
.....................Oliveira

You can rely on McCleary to do his defensive work. Baker can't be less able physically than Swift or Aluko and Barrow is the slight odd man out who might do some damage.

There's then an opportunity for a Holsgrove or East etc to get a bit of bench experience covering midfield in place of Baker.

I recognise Gomes had limited options but an uncharacteristic end product from Swift and the quality of Oliveira got him out of jail from a less than optimal selection.

GMac offers very little these days and needs to be released in the summer. Ejaria was really poor in the first half but improved and should have had an assist when he played in Meite in the second half. Not sure about Baker. Early days but I would have played him ahead of Kelly.

GMac isn't the same player he used to be, but he's not much behind the competition in creativity and he's better defensively. With Swift and Barrow, I think you'd have enough to compensate without going too far either way.

I lost stream for a big chunk of the second. I still think the midfield issue was primarily in having too many lightweight creatives, Swift Aluko and Kelly is ridiculous, but Baker, Aluko and Swift isn't a lot better - you've still both of the very lightweight attackers in there.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 14 Feb 2019 19:48

RoyalBlue
biff Oliveira has a touch of the Kitsons about him. Been warned by a few Nodge fans that he'll soon lose interest and become a hindrance though. Hopefully just bitterness talking.

Don't reckon he will lose interest when he's working with Gomes and his team of coaches. In terms of man management I'm increasingly of the opinion that Gomes will prove himself to be up there with Sir Steve.

In many ways I think the Mings assault may turn out to be a bit of a blessing. Oliviera was very appreciative of the way he was looked after, made him centre of attention and Gomes came out very strongly in support.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 14 Feb 2019 20:02

Looking at the highlights, Meite did not have a good game. Not only did he miss two very good chances that nearly cost us dear but he is also at least partly at fault for their equaliser - somewhat lazily (IMO) and slowly running back towards his own goal completely aware of the goalscorer racing up behind him. By the time he does realise it's too late to respond and he's lost the race towards the ball.

He was a real curate's egg in terms of his performance. At times working really hard and making a real nuisance of himself and at others not putting in his share of the work, particularly given that he hadn't played the first 45 minutes. I can remember that within 10 minutes of the second half I yelled at him to work harder in getting back and chase his man as Blackburn broke forwards.

His finishing is also a real mix - sometimes great and at others plain awful (as we saw last night). Hopefully he now realises that his Twitter dig when the club announced the signing of Oliveira was badly misplaced. Self belief is all well and good but he should now show a bit of humility and look to learn all he can from Oliveira. If he does, he could end up a very good player.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Feb 2019 20:17

RoyalBlue Looking at the highlights, Meite did not have a good game. Not only did he miss two very good chances that nearly cost us dear but he is also at least partly at fault for their equaliser - somewhat lazily (IMO) and slowly running back towards his own goal completely aware of the goalscorer racing up behind him. By the time he does realise it's too late to respond and he's lost the race towards the ball.

He was a real curate's egg in terms of his performance. At times working really hard and making a real nuisance of himself and at others not putting in his share of the work, particularly given that he hadn't played the first 45 minutes. I can remember that within 10 minutes of the second half I yelled at him to work harder in getting back and chase his man as Blackburn broke forwards.

His finishing is also a real mix - sometimes great and at others plain awful (as we saw last night). Hopefully he now realises that his Twitter dig when the club announced the signing of Oliveira was badly misplaced. Self belief is all well and good but he should now show a bit of humility and look to learn all he can from Oliveira. If he does, he could end up a very good player.

Fair comment on Meite. He seems to tire very quickly. He look knackered about ten minutes after coming on.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Feb 2019 20:19

Surprised there hasn’t been more praise for Swift’s fantastic pass to Oliveira for the winner. It was fabulous

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 14 Feb 2019 20:28

Zip Surprised there hasn’t been more praise for Swift’s fantastic pass to Oliveira for the winner. It was fabulous

Just a route one hopeful punt wasn’t it ?

;-)

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Feb 2019 20:39

Zip Surprised there hasn’t been more praise for Swift’s fantastic pass to Oliveira for the winner. It was fabulous

Think it's been overlooked because the touch from Oliveira and then the finish was sublime so most people are commenting on that aspect of the goal, but agreed it was a really good pick out from Swift

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 14 Feb 2019 20:41

RoyalBlue

That's ludicrous, way too early to compare, etc.

RoyalBlue
Snowflake Royal
Hendo
LOL.

He could pull a world class save out of nowhere but Martinez is by far the better all round 'keeper.

He's played barely a handful of games for us. Ludicrous to be saying he's as good or better than goalkeepers who put in scores of excellent performances at this stage. At this stage, way too early to compare to Hahnemann, Shaka or Ali Al-Habsi.

OK so all the signs are extremely positive. He will have to have a major drop in form for the praise not to be proven justified in the longer term. And it really is rose tinted memories suggesting that AAH, even in his pomp, was better. Great guy, popular, saved us on a lot of occasions but had plenty of weaknesses and quite a few mistakes in him - hence some of the nicknames he has earned during his career.

As for Arsenal being prepared to let him go and/or him being prepared to join us - he could quite conceivably still be third choice at The Emirates next season when Ospina returns. So, if we succeed in staying up we might get him. I seem to remember some of us were quite surprised when Marcus decided to join us permanently.

Seem to recall when Rino first broke in that someone compared him to Sidwell/Harper, and don't recall too many taking issue with it. Anyway...
Last edited by Denver Royal on 14 Feb 2019 20:47, edited 1 time in total.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 14 Feb 2019 20:44

People are also more than happy to write players off after a handful of games , and managers even before they have taken charge of a single game !

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Feb 2019 21:20

RoyalBlue Looking at the highlights, Meite did not have a good game. Not only did he miss two very good chances that nearly cost us dear but he is also at least partly at fault for their equaliser - somewhat lazily (IMO) and slowly running back towards his own goal completely aware of the goalscorer racing up behind him. By the time he does realise it's too late to respond and he's lost the race towards the ball.

Sounds like the reverse of Swift. Caused problems all game, but fluffed his lines on the three key things he had to do, whilst Swift was poor all first half until he buried his chance very well and then put in a great out ball for Oliveira to win it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Feb 2019 21:23

Denver Royal
RoyalBlue

RoyalBlue
Snowflake Royal He's played barely a handful of games for us. Ludicrous to be saying he's as good or better than goalkeepers who put in scores of excellent performances at this stage. At this stage, way too early to compare to Hahnemann, Shaka or Ali Al-Habsi.

OK so all the signs are extremely positive. He will have to have a major drop in form for the praise not to be proven justified in the longer term. And it really is rose tinted memories suggesting that AAH, even in his pomp, was better. Great guy, popular, saved us on a lot of occasions but had plenty of weaknesses and quite a few mistakes in him - hence some of the nicknames he has earned during his career.

As for Arsenal being prepared to let him go and/or him being prepared to join us - he could quite conceivably still be third choice at The Emirates next season when Ospina returns. So, if we succeed in staying up we might get him. I seem to remember some of us were quite surprised when Marcus decided to join us permanently.

Seem to recall when Rino first broke in that someone compared him to Sidwell/Harper, and don't recall too many taking issue with it. Anyway...

I think the comparisons for Rino would be to Sidders rather than Harper (pointing and sideways passing - the favourite criticisms of Harps - are more Kelly's area), and more along the lines of we've finally got someone who looks like they might fill that role properly rather than he's as good as or better than Sidders. Which would be equally daft to say as Martinez is as good as Hahnemann after a handful of appearances.

Even so, I'd say the comparison is still false, as Sidders was excellent at breaking forward, hitting the box late and scoring. I'd say Rino's more in the mold of a a modern day Parky, or Gooding, maybe Karacan or Leigertwood.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 14 Feb 2019 22:01

Denver Royal
RoyalBlue

That's my opinion and you're entitled to yours. With regard to my view on Gomes, I'm relatively confident in spotting the indicators of a good man manager as it's been a key part of my job for a number of decades.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 14 Feb 2019 22:04

Snowflake Royal
Denver Royal
RoyalBlue Don't reckon he will lose interest when he's working with Gomes and his team of coaches. In terms of man management I'm increasingly of the opinion that Gomes will prove himself to be up there with Sir Steve.

RoyalBlue

I think the comparisons for Rino would be to Sidders rather than Harper (pointing and sideways passing - the favourite criticisms of Harps - are more Kelly's area), and more along the lines of we've finally got someone who looks like they might fill that role properly rather than he's as good as or better than Sidders. Which would be equally daft to say as Martinez is as good as Hahnemann after a handful of appearances.

I wasn't suggesting that Martinez is as good as Marcus - I was pointing out that it came as a surprise to many when we managed to get Marcus to join us on a permanent basis.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Feb 2019 22:12

RoyalBlue
NewCorkSeth
Hendo
Yeah, this^

Each time I have seen him, I have always thought he was pretty quick.

Now Ilori has left, who do we think is the quickest in the team? Barrow?

Probably. Rinomhota seems to have good acceleration. Maybe Yiadom?

I may be imagining this but haven't they previously done some timed sprints and the man so many love to hate (Gunter) was amongst the fastest, if not the fastest.

Ilori was confirmed the fastest by someone during an interview I think but Barrow has seemed to be the fastest on the pitch. Rinomhota has deceptive pace so I thought he might be up there.

Gunter might be fast. I don't know. Someone ask someone on Twitter.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 14 Feb 2019 22:32

RoyalBlue
I wasn't suggesting that Martinez is as good as Marcus - I was pointing out that it came as a surprise to many when we managed to get Marcus to join us on a permanent basis.

When we offered Marcus a contract he had pretty much decided to quit, go back home to the US and let his wife resurrect her legal career. I think he was more surprised than anyone with what happened as until he joined us he’d really struggled to make any headway in the game

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 15 Feb 2019 08:47

Stranded Pretty sure Gomes has already said we have a deal in place to make it a permanent move in the summer .

Isnt that what they said about Glenn Murray and we ended up getting him fit for a better move for him?
Thats the problem with loanees, if they play well, other clubs notice them.

I would agree that Oliviera and Miazga are just the type of players we need; but it all depends what sort of money we have available to spend when the window opens. I also think the other three are good business for this season, but disposable for next.

Id like a reliable centre back and a forward, who wouldnt.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Feb 2019 08:50

A realistic amount for all our big 3 (Miazga, Martinez, Oliveira) loanees to be made permanent is around £15m I'd say. It is not beyond the realms of possibility to spend that much but it pretty much leaves us with no chance of making other purchases.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Feb 2019 09:02

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Stranded Pretty sure Gomes has already said we have a deal in place to make it a permanent move in the summer .

Isnt that what they said about Glenn Murray and we ended up getting him fit for a better move for him?

I would agree that Oliviera and Miazga are just the type of players we need; but it all depends what sort of money we have available to spend when the window opens. I also think the other three are good business for this season, but disposable for next.

With Murray it wasn't a better move at the time, he went back to Palace as the manager changed. He went on to play 15 times for them which wouldn't have happened if the manager change hadn't.

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 15 Feb 2019 09:22

Stranded
Dr_Hfuhruhurr

With Murray it wasn't a better move at the time, he went back to Palace as the manager changed. He went on to play 15 times for them which wouldn't have happened if the manager change hadn't.

My recall was Murray was just what we wanted at the time, some fans became convinced we were going to sign him because we'd struck a deal with Palace at the time of the loan, and he ended up playing at a higher level than us at the end of his loan. I would suggest he didnt do that because the Palace regime changed, but because his desireability as a player at the end of the loan period was much higher than at the start. If Oliveira continues as he is, I feel he will have more options at the end of the loan period than the start. Not saying he'll go back to Norwich, because I think they'll get promoted and will probably want to upgrade, but he's no certainty to accept any permanent deal we offer him. Im not convinced there is ever such a thing as a certainty to sign.

Old Man Andrews A realistic amount for all our big 3 (Miazga, Martinez, Oliveira) loanees to be made permanent is around £15m I'd say. It is not beyond the realms of possibility to spend that much but it pretty much leaves us with no chance of making other purchases.

My sense is that we'll look to loan a keeper for next season as well.
If the last transfer window is anything to go by, we need to trim the squad before buying. I totally agree with this approach, but I think Oliveira and Miazga will interest us.

246 posts