Re: BFTG Sheffield United

by Hound » 17 Feb 2019 08:49

Snowflake Royal
Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hound
+1

+1
Yeah, revisionist nonsense from Mr C there. Norwood was soft

The team was make up was the problem and some of you just can't recognise a good playmaker. Did well at Brighton. Doing well at Sheff U. Did well before us. The problem was Reading not Norwood.

Swift and co make Norwood look like granite.

No, recognise he is and was a good player. But he wasn’t doing the business for us when we sold him - had been poor for 6 months prior.

Accept it was partly the system he was in. Not sure he was particularly central to the success at Fulham and Brighton either, it’s really only been this season he has really excelled

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 17 Feb 2019 08:56

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Dr_Hfuhruhurr
+1
Yeah, revisionist nonsense from Mr C there. Norwood was soft

The team was make up was the problem and some of you just can't recognise a good playmaker. Did well at Brighton. Doing well at Sheff U. Did well before us. The problem was Reading not Norwood.

Swift and co make Norwood look like granite.

No, recognise he is and was a good player. But he wasn’t doing the business for us when we sold him - had been poor for 6 months prior.

Accept it was partly the system he was in. Not sure he was particularly central to the success at Fulham and Brighton either, it’s really only been this season he has really excelled

Yeah and let’s be honest, Norwood consistently failing to beat the first man from set pieces is hardly his team mates fault either.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 17 Feb 2019 12:11

16 starts and 17 sub appearances 1621 minutes for Brighton. Looks like a decent squad player for them in the Championship but not exactly essential to their promotion. Not trusted in the PL.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Feb 2019 12:39

sandman 16 starts and 17 sub appearances 1621 minutes for Brighton. Looks like a decent squad player for them in the Championship but not exactly essential to their promotion. Not trusted in the PL.

Interestingly, that's only 3 starts fewer than Gunnarsson the year we won the league.

An important squad player for a promotion side. And looking at a good chance of a second promotion with Sheffield.

Pretty clear it's Reading that was the problem, not Norwood.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 17 Feb 2019 12:42

It doesn't but I respect your opinion and desire to never be wrong.

Norwood - squad player for two teams. One who were runners up and one who went up through the play offs.

Gunnarsson - squad player for a once in a lifetime team with two of the best midfielders the club has ever had.

Pandoras Box

by Pandoras Box » 17 Feb 2019 12:55

1) no intent
One of the reasons we always let in early or late goals.
Sheffield Utd came out all guns blazing with the ‘we are going to win this match’ mentality.
Reading came out with ‘ho hum, another day, another dollar attitude’ (again) and immediately paid the price.
2) build up play
Possibly some of the slowest, lumbersome, obvious, uncreative build up play and attack in the division.
Watching other teams highlights, they all seem to be able to at least break through and threaten a defence- why can’t we do it?
Sheffield’s defence never gave us a look in yesterday - mainly because every move is so obvious it’s too simple to defend. Swift’s creative passing is mainly a level cross field ball with no yardage gain or a quick back pass to exactly where it was passed from. So frustrating.
Their defenders were strong and tall, so Meite is there to maybe hustle and get a header, yet he stands on the wing and is nowhere near any hoofed ball into the box- could probably say the same for Bodvarsson.

Just came away yesterday with no real hope. Just don’t believe the players are good enough- and the better ones?
What happens when they all bugger off back to their clubs?
Yeh, maybe we can stay up - but we are miles away from the likes of Sheffield Utd , even in mentality.
Struggling in a four team league with the usual bottom feeders doesn’t give much cause for celebration.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 17 Feb 2019 13:14

Snowflake Royal
sandman 16 starts and 17 sub appearances 1621 minutes for Brighton. Looks like a decent squad player for them in the Championship but not exactly essential to their promotion. Not trusted in the PL.

Interestingly, that's only 3 starts fewer than Gunnarsson the year we won the league.

An important squad player for a promotion side. And looking at a good chance of a second promotion with Sheffield.

Pretty clear it's Reading that was the problem, not Norwood.

Third promotion (in 3 seasons)

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 17 Feb 2019 13:17

But hasn't stayed when the two previous teams have gone on to the Premier League. Says he's an easily disposable squad player.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 17 Feb 2019 13:19

Let's be honest, Norwood is the best midfielder we've had in a while. He was always the best player up until Christmas and then he would tail off for a few games (this was also the case with United this season). Difference being Wilder stuck with him and he's regained his form whereas Clarke and Mcdermott dropped him in favour of loanees

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 17 Feb 2019 13:20

sandman But hasn't stayed when the two previous teams have gone on to the Premier League. Says he's an easily disposable squad player.

TBF he was only on loan at Fulham, considering their hefty budget, it was always unlikely he would go there. He didn't exactly suit Brighton's style, he wasn't really a 4-4-2 player. But you may be right, it could just be a case of good championship player, poor premier league player

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 17 Feb 2019 13:44

Pandoras Box 1) no intent
Sheffield Utd came out all guns blazing with the ‘we are going to win this match’ mentality.
Reading came out with ‘ho hum, another day, another dollar attitude’ (again) and immediately paid the price.
2) build up play
Possibly some of the slowest, lumbersome, obvious, uncreative build up play and attack in the division.
Watching other teams highlights, they all seem to be able to at least break through and threaten a defence- why can’t we do it?
Sheffield’s defence never gave us a look in yesterday - mainly because every move is so obvious it’s too simple to defend. Swift’s creative passing is mainly a level cross field ball with no yardage gain or a quick back pass to exactly where it was passed from. So frustrating.
Their defenders were strong and tall, so Meite is there to maybe hustle and get a header, yet he stands on the wing and is nowhere near any hoofed ball into the box- could probably say the same for Bodvarsson.

Just came away yesterday with no real hope. Just don’t believe the players are good enough- and the better ones?
Yeh, maybe we can stay up - but we are miles away from the likes of Sheffield Utd , even in mentality.
Struggling in a four team league with the usual bottom feeders doesn’t give much cause for celebration.

Good post, PB.

I brought Chris Wilder up last season, and I said I thought he was better than Clement. The response ranged from LOLz to 'No, he isn't. He isn't all that, they are just on a roll because they just got promoted last season'.
I said 'But not every team that gets promoted does well in the Champ. Plus, they haven't spent billions'.

Hoof ball was mentioned, but as was shown yesterday, they don't do that. Myself and sandman said they didn't, even before yesterday. They actually passed it around better than we did.

Be that as it may, fast forward another year, and they are still up there.
Finding some common ground, and for sake of discussion, let us assume that Wilder isn't all that.
So, what are the reasons for their success then? What have they done better than us?

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 17 Feb 2019 14:13

My Blades-supporting mate cannot understand why we let Norwood go as they think he's class and behind all their inventive work

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Feb 2019 14:18

Denver Royal
2) build up play

Good post, PB.

I brought Chris Wilder up last season, and I said I thought he was better than Clement. The response ranged from LOLz to 'No, he isn't. He isn't all that, they are just on a roll because they just got promoted last season'.
I said 'But not every team that gets promoted does well in the Champ. Plus, they haven't spent billions'.

Hoof ball was mentioned, but as was shown yesterday, they don't do that. Myself and sandman said they didn't, even before yesterday. They actually passed it around better than we did.

Finding some common ground, and for sake of discussion, let us assume that Wilder isn't all that.
So, what are the reasons for their success then? What have they done better than us?

Examples of this?

Wilder clearly is all that and very much doubt anyone would argue otherwise

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 17 Feb 2019 14:28

Denver Royal I said 'But not every team that gets promoted does well in the Champ. Plus, they haven't spent billions'.

The season they were promoted from league one. I watched them play Swindon. They were by far the best team in the league that season. I would stress the word team. They had an identity. Worked extremely hard as a unit defensively. Played to their strengths. All the things that we've been lacking for some time. Be interesting to see how many players they've bought and sold since promotion compared to Reading. Bet the squad is far more settled and established.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 17 Feb 2019 14:57

Lower West
Denver Royal I said 'But not every team that gets promoted does well in the Champ. Plus, they haven't spent billions'.

The season they were promoted from league one. I watched them play Swindon. They were by far the best team in the league that season. I would stress the word team. They had an identity. Worked extremely hard as a unit defensively. Played to their strengths. All the things that we've been lacking for some time. Be interesting to see how many players they've bought and sold since promotion compared to Reading. Bet the squad is far more settled and established.

Yep, another good post. And that was my wider point, how/why have they done better than us? So, thanks.
I've not seen too many accolades for Wilder in here. I'm not going back years to find direct quotes because here's no incentive in here to do so. But I recall some people thought we had the better manager in Clement.
But a quick example of it would be someone picking Sheff Utd for relegation this season (and some did). So, clearly Wilder has done better, and/or is even better, than some rated him.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 17 Feb 2019 15:12, edited 1 time in total.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 17 Feb 2019 15:11

Just watching John Obi Michel playing for boro, running the midfield and making it look so easy, picking up the ball in front of the defence and playing simple balls .

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Feb 2019 15:27

sandman But hasn't stayed when the two previous teams have gone on to the Premier League. Says he's an easily disposable squad player.

So. I know you're desperately scrambling so you don't have to admit you were wrong about him, but we're not a Premier League club, we're closer to being League One. Whilst we've got worse since Norwood left, he's consistently been playing for promotion.

If you can't work out that means he was underrated here and he's better than we are, then there's no hope for you.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 17 Feb 2019 15:34

windermereROYAL Just watching John Obi Michel playing for boro, running the midfield and making it look so easy, picking up the ball in front of the defence and playing simple balls .

Yep, and Boro big strong physical Champ team. A 'win 1-0 away' team. Think you need about 6-10 of those a season.
Not quite sure what we are, but we aren't a 'win 1-0 away' type team.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Feb 2019 15:36

Denver Royal
2) build up play

Good post, PB.

The Blades are fairly big Championship level club. They got used to winning again in League One and carried that mentality back into the Championship. The Team is all in the Championship. If you have a clear team, with confidence and understanding you'll do well.

By contrast, we have a group of individuals, we don't play as a unit, we don't play for each other, we've no confidence and we're used to losing.

As McDermott showed, you don't need great individuals to win the league, you can do it with ok players and a great team spirit.

To be honest, they're another example of how going down can actually be a good thing. Took em a while to get back up, but now they're right up there again. They've had a promotion and two seasons towards the top of the table, we've two relegation fights and a one off Play Off season which still didn't have much life to it.

Hell look at Bolton, they're right at the bottom, but they're in with a shout of staying up through team work and they're only at this level because that team of average players played above themselves to get promoted. On quality alone they should have gone last year.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 17 Feb 2019 16:09

Snowflake Royal
Denver Royal
2) build up play

Good post, PB.

The Blades are fairly big Championship level club. They got used to winning again in League One and carried that mentality back into the Championship. The Team is all in the Championship. If you have a clear team, with confidence and understanding you'll do well.

By contrast, we have a group of individuals, we don't play as a unit, we don't play for each other, we've no confidence and we're used to losing.

As McDermott showed, you don't need great individuals to win the league, you can do it with ok players and a great team spirit.

To be honest, they're another example of how going down can actually be a good thing. Took em a while to get back up, but now they're right up there again. They've had a promotion and two seasons towards the top of the table, we've two relegation fights and a one off Play Off season which still didn't have much life to it.

Hell look at Bolton, they're right at the bottom, but they're in with a shout of staying up through team work and they're only at this level because that team of average players played above themselves to get promoted. On quality alone they should have gone last year.

+1

Only trouble is whilst teamwork alone can get you promoted, it's unlikely to keep you up in the premier league, you do need those little bits of quality in the premier league as well as good teamwork, something that Cardiff, Huddersfield and to a lesser degree Brighton are facing this season