BFTG Ipswich

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG Ipswich

by John Smith » 04 Mar 2019 11:46

Don't want to detract too much from the manner of the win and the morale boost but Rotherham won - it's still the same. This was a game we should always have won and nearly didn't. But we were celebrating like we'd achieved survival outside the ground and we've done nothing. I think this is probably going to go down to the last game.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 04 Mar 2019 11:52

defo going to go all the way
but if you cant celebrate a last minute away winner after throwing away a lead, you shoudnt really be going to football

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 04 Mar 2019 12:02

Stranded
Woodcote Royal
URZZZZ
Yeah, just like Sheff... oh wait we lost 4-0

It's mainly the mid table fodder we've got the best chances to beat (i.e. Blackburn, Villa, Wednesday). I think the point he's trying to make is we've still got 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th and 6th to play, most away games, with lots of playoff chasing teams (Hull, Birmingham, an inform Preston and Brentford etc)

But fortunately, unlike the Prem, there's always a chance of winning in the championship. While these games are most likely losses, shocks do regularly occur in this league

Not posting much these days, I was forgetting the need to always point out the blindingly obvious on hobnob and, just for good measure, perhaps a picture or two if they help get the point across which, franky, is why I can mostly no longer be arsed.

Sorry, I thought it was obvious that I was referring to the increasing number of mid table teams at this time of the season with little or nothing to play for, as opposed to the promotion contenders who, like us and our fellow relegation strugglers, also have much to play for but, hey, nevermind, my fault.

Problem is Woodcote, we don't have much of those mid-table teams less - this will of course change but as of today we can probably put the fixtures into 3 pots:

Something to play for (Promotion/play-off (within 4 points of)/relegation)

Wigan, Leeds, Hull, Norwich, Bristol City, West Brom, Boro, Brum

On the cusp (6 points outside play-offs)

Preston

Nothing to play for (realistically)

Stoke, Brentford

We will pick up points that we are not expecting along the way but as it stands and given the closeness at the top - only 8 points between 6th placed Bristol and 15th placed Brentford - there are not too many teams that are obviously out of one mix or other.

The "pack" is very big this year hence why the bottom 6 have been cut adrift somewhat.

Good heads up. Thanks.

We are only just entering the "nothing to play for" period so there should be a few we will be able to add the list, hopefully Brum on the final day while Rovrum have Boro, who I would see as more likely to still be in the mix.

Ipswich and Rovrum were both close games we should have won but, on reflection, we should be reasonably pleased with 4pts and avoiding 2 potentially disastrous banana skins, while effectively relegating the tractor boys. It could have been so much worse.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 04 Mar 2019 12:09

John Smith Don't want to detract too much from the manner of the win and the morale boost but Rotherham won - it's still the same.

Not quite, as everyone has one fewer game left we're slightly better off than we were on Friday

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 Mar 2019 12:17

Silver Fox
John Smith Don't want to detract too much from the manner of the win and the morale boost but Rotherham won - it's still the same.

Not quite, as everyone has one fewer game left we're slightly better off than we were on Friday

Added to the fact we bettered the Millwall & Wigan result, it brings them in closer as well.

Ginger Ninjas

by Ginger Ninjas » 04 Mar 2019 12:19

Silver Fox

And we're closer to Millwall and Wigan, and further away from Bolton. Saturday's results have moved it slightly away from a straight fight with Rotherham as to who survives.

[Edit: Hendo beat me to this point]

On the game, I thought Miazga was excellent, it'd be fantastic to have him and Moore as our centre back pairing next season; sadly that'll have to be in front of a different 'keeper as Martinez will either get the Arsenal No. 2 role or a loan to a lower PL team.

Barrow was awful - I heard some people fairly suggest that he could be subbed off given his contribution after replacing Oliveira, but then what a moment at the end. Not celebrated a goal like that for years (Obita at Fulham the last time something came close). Still hearts in mouths a couple of times during injury time. Hugely important win given the manner of the result, sets up next Saturday perfectly.
Last edited by Ginger Ninjas on 04 Mar 2019 12:20, edited 1 time in total.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Mar 2019 12:19

Silver Fox

Exactly this.

Also think of the impact at Rotherham, at the 83rd minute they were scoring to go 3-1 up whilst Ipswich were equalising against us - so they were moving out of the bottom 3 - on 90 mins all their hard work meant virtually nowt as they are exactly where they were.

Of course, what has changed is that Millwall and Wigan are fully in the mire. Both teams have 3 away games up next - you wouldn't expect them to pick up many points from those. One of them could easily be in the bottom 3 by the international break.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 04 Mar 2019 12:35

Millwall are my top tip to get properly sucked into a losing relegation fight.

When is their FA cup QF again?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Mar 2019 12:43

stealthpapes Millwall are my top tip to get properly sucked into a losing relegation fight.

When is their FA cup QF again?

17th March

Their league game v Brizzle then has been rearranged for the last week of the season.

They have 2 away games before the QF (Bolton & Brum) and head to Leeds after it.

If they don't win at Bolton this weekend, could easily see them below us, if not in the bottom 3 by the international break.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 04 Mar 2019 12:52

Wigan are 25/1 to go down :? Millwall 6/1. Reading 3/2 and Rotherham 10/11.

Basildon

by Basildon » 04 Mar 2019 13:01

Just looking on bet365, they've understandably got the bottom 6 as the most likely to go down, but 7th favourite at 28/1 is Birmingham? Are they still potentially looking at a points deduction or is this just a bit of a cock-up by bet365?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Mar 2019 13:19

Pepe the Horseman Wigan are 25/1 to go down :? Millwall 6/1. Reading 3/2 and Rotherham 10/11.

25/1 - got to be worth a couple of quid - a lot depends on their game at Derby tomorrow. If Derby bounce back from the stuffing at Villa, then with 2 more away games to come this week, they could easily be 20th or 21st.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 04 Mar 2019 13:55

Stranded
Silver Fox

Exactly this.

Also think of the impact at Rotherham, at the 83rd minute they were scoring to go 3-1 up whilst Ipswich were equalising against us - so they were moving out of the bottom 3 - on 90 mins all their hard work meant virtually nowt as they are exactly where they were.

Of course, what has changed is that Millwall and Wigan are fully in the mire. Both teams have 3 away games up next - you wouldn't expect them to pick up many points from those. One of them could easily be in the bottom 3 by the international break.

Nonsense. We are no better off now than we were on Saturday morning. The table says so.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Mar 2019 13:56

John Smith
Stranded
Silver Fox

Exactly this.

Nonsense. We are no better off now than we were on Saturday morning. The table says so.

We are 3 points and +1 GD better off. The table says so.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Mar 2019 13:57

Pepe the Horseman Wigan are 25/1 to go down :? Millwall 6/1. Reading 3/2 and Rotherham 10/11.

yeah saw that on Wigan and fully confused me. We could quite easily be ahead of them come Saturday 5pm

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 04 Mar 2019 14:13

John Smith
Stranded
Silver Fox

Exactly this.

Imagine on the last day of the season we are level on points with Rotherham and have a superior GD, we then both win our final day games by a single goal, are we still no better off than we were in the morning?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 Mar 2019 14:32

John Smith Don't want to detract too much from the manner of the win and the morale boost but Rotherham won - it's still the same. This was a game we should always have won and nearly didn't. But we were celebrating like we'd achieved survival outside the ground and we've done nothing. I think this is probably going to go down to the last game.

Key thing though is that Wigan and Millwall have now been dragged right into it (and even more so if Derby can actually win a game tomorrow) so, for a while at least, what Rotherham do isn't the be and end all.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 04 Mar 2019 14:49

Sutekh
John Smith Don't want to detract too much from the manner of the win and the morale boost but Rotherham won - it's still the same. This was a game we should always have won and nearly didn't. But we were celebrating like we'd achieved survival outside the ground and we've done nothing. I think this is probably going to go down to the last game.

Key thing though is that Wigan and Millwall have now been dragged right into it (and even more so if Derby can actually win a game tomorrow) so, for a while at least, what Rotherham do isn't the be and end all.

Yep, the more teams in the mix, the better our chances.
We're obv going to lose some games, and hope fans stay on-side when we do.
Millwall's run-in looks brutal. Neil Harris may have been gone by now at any other club.
Rovrum now unbeaten in 6 which has hurt, but their run-in is tough, too.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Mar 2019 14:58

Denver Royal
Sutekh

Yep, the more teams in the mix, the better our chances.
We're obv going to lose some games, and hope fans stay on-side when we do.
Millwall's run-in looks brutal. Neil Harris may have been gone by now at any other club.
Rovrum now unbeaten in 6 which has hurt, but their run-in is tough, too.

Rotherham being unbeaten in 6 hasn't hurt us at all really. Over that 6 games, they've picked up 8 points - over the same period, we've taken 9. The only thing that hurt us in any way was our draw with them.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 04 Mar 2019 15:00

With Millwall you always think that they will battle to the end of games and till the end of the season.
Not sure about Wigan as they have had major injuries.

As ever with Reading there is always something to play for, at either end of the table ,and even if the football world thinks of us as a dull team in a dull town our position is seldom dull.